Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

When I see stats like this, I have to wonder, who the fuck is ahead of us?  What seven teams have allowed fewer than 10 red zone attempts in 5 games? 

Michigan and Georgia’s non conference is beyond terrible. I’d imagine a couple of other good schools that played terrible non-con and bad conference teams (like OU) might be ahead of us. 

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Our DBs cant turn and run like I hoped we'd be able to. DL played poorly, but the QB run and missed tackles really ruined the defense today. 

We didn't do enough to get Gabriel uncomfortable. PK would definitely like to have this game back.

I think PK thought the D-Line could win straight up, and protect the sticks. Once Catalon went down, the outside stuff became much more viable. Having Watts & Catalon would have been nice for this matchup. At the same time you have to give credit to OU for effort. There’s no reason why Lil Stoops should be successfully setting edges consistently. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When it's executed right the veer-and-shoot neutralizes good defensive lines. We saw similar struggles against Arky. It's not a popular offense in the Big 12 anymore but as long as Lebby is in Norman, PK will have to figure out a way to stop it.

To quote Dave Chappelle, As they say in ebonics, we be fucked.
  • Like 1

Personally, I think the offense shitting the bed early in the game led to the DL getting slower in pursuit. 

Early in the game, ou QB was getting the ball out quickly, to avoid the the pressure. Late in the game he held the ball longer, moved out of the pocket easier (even under pursuit) and was less harassed.

Go look at the game thread. Many of us mentioned being concerned with the defense being on the field a lot early. 

I really wish we could have kept the ball more on the early drives. 

43 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There were multiple players on D who didn't look like they were playing with fanatical effort.  Plus, we were missing our two best dbs for most of the game.  Plus the scheme in the final drive was dumb.  

The scheme against Gabriel was fucking baffling. I expected us to spy him with Ant Hill all day long. 

• Like 1

Trying to find something positive about the game. I wonder if we see some changes after the bye week. Williams was the best safety on the field for Texas and Any Hill was the best LB.. Williams was in on the last play of the game (not involved in the last play). I think it fair to say he is now above Taffe, with a chance he will be pushing for starter minutes 

This was my takeaway. I saw how far away the DB’s were and said yeah we’re gonna lose. The play calling was acting like we just needed to hold them to a FG to win. Even at that, it didn’t work.

There’s a million reasons we lost the game but this is #1 IMO
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas defense has to improve over the next 6 games... LB and DL play were extremely disappointing against blOU.

I think we have to exclude Sweat. He was good again. The DEs were dreadful..I can’t remember when it happened, but I remember a drive OU caught Finkley and Burke on the field. They went uptempo and hammered Texas on the edges. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

The scheme against Gabriel was fucking baffling. I expected us to spy him with Ant Hill all day long. 

Why?  Coming into the game Gabriel only had 95 yds rushing through 5 games with an average of 3.3 yds per rush.

I wasn't shocked they didn't spy him, but I was shocked that we couldn't tackle him when we had him dead to rights.

Why?  Coming into the game Gabriel only had 95 yds rushing through 5 games with an average of 3.3 yds per rush.
I wasn't shocked they didn't spy him, but I was shocked that we couldn't tackle him when we had him dead to rights.

Isn’t that what you always do against a QB that can run?

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Because running your QB and risking injury against opponents you can beat in your sleep is fucking stupid?

Ok, explain his 298 yards last year over 11 games?  In his best season he averaged 27 yds rushing per game with a high of 61 against KSU.

Just because Texas made him look like a Heisman contender doesn't make him a running QB.  

Every QB "can" run.  But when has Dillon Gabriel ever been a "running" QB?  He only had 298 yds rushing all last year, and that was a career high.

I did not know that. I’m not condoning a spy fyi.

A delayed blitzer might have been appropriate on occasion but I think a spy was not necessary. Ford was a de facto spy on the late throw to Stoops.

Haven’t watched OU but out reactions to the Qb draw seemed to indicate we were surprised by it.

There’s nothing to explain, OU wasn’t playing for a clear path to the CFP last year. OU had no reason to risk running an undersized QB on a throwaway season, especially after seeing him get crunched by TCU. 

This isn’t last year. We were the only real obstacle in their path. The analysis leading into the game was that they were going to pull out all stops and do whatever it takes to beat us, which included running their undersized (but very athletic QB). If you didn’t see that coming, then I don’t know what to tell you. But I do expect our millionaire DC to see an obvious thing like that coming and to actually prepare for it. PK did what was necessary to slow down Milroe. I have no idea why he decided not to respect his legs. It cost us the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I did not know that. I’m not condoning a spy fyi.

A delayed blitzer might have been appropriate on occasion but I think a spy was not necessary. Ford was a de facto spy on the late throw to Stoops.

Haven’t watched OU but out reactions to the Qb draw seemed to indicate we were surprised by it.

That was his first 100 yard game in 40+ starts. Biggest issue was maintaining pass rush lanes. Not only did Texas not get pressure, but they they failed to contain. Edges got past the QB on multiple occasions.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That was his first 100 yard game in 40+ starts. Biggest issue was maintaining pass rush lanes. Not only did Texas not get pressure, but they they failed to contain. Edges got past the QB on multiple occasions.

That’s true. Their OL neutralized our front 4. We needed an extra defender to making at least somewhat uncomfortable.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

There’s nothing to explain, OU wasn’t playing for a clear path to the CFP last year. OU had no reason to risk running an undersized QB on a throwaway season, especially after seeing him get crunched by TCU. 

This isn’t last year. We were the only real obstacle in their path. The analysis leading into the game was that they were going to pull out all stops and do whatever it takes to beat us, which included running their undersized (but very athletic QB). If you didn’t see that coming, then I don’t know what to tell you. But I do expect our millionaire DC to see an obvious thing like that coming and to actually prepare for it. PK did what was necessary to slow down Milroe. I have no idea why he decided not to respect his legs. It cost us the game.

You don't waste a spy on a QB with no history of running. Period.

Jalen Milroe was recruited heavily by Texas, plus at Alabama prior to this year he had 338 yds passing and 320 yds rushing.  They knew he was a running back playing QB.

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

This was my takeaway. I saw how far away the DB’s were and said yeah we’re gonna lose. The play calling was acting like we just needed to hold them to a FG to win. Even at that, it didn’t work.

There’s a million reasons we lost the game but this is #1 IMO

Last year in the Alamo bowl we played so far off their receivers that easy come back routes were wide open all game. We never adjusted or challenged them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

You don't waste a spy on a QB with no history of running. Period.

I agree, I wouldn’t assign a spy to a QB with no history of running.

I don’t classify DG as a QB with NO history of running. He has a history of some running and the pre-game expectation was that OU was going to throw everything at this game, to include running their fragile QB. 

The discussion goes beyond just spying him. The bigger issue was that our DL alone was not doing enough to make DG uncomfortable on obvious passing downs and their 2 minute drill offense. This was painfully obvious by the end of Q2. PK did nothing to adjust and to assign an extra pass rusher to at least make him uncomfortable in the pocket. PK was fine with playing soft getting gashed that way.

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

That’s true. Their OL neutralized our front 4. We needed an extra defender to making at least somewhat uncomfortable.

I rewatched it. Holy Ghost of Ovie.. OU let the edges get up field all game and skipped by untouched underneath. They abused them. 

• Rage+1 1

In all their scoring drives, he had about 6 runs, 3/4 of which were designed runs. That was somewhere around 35 yards. He had several break the pocket throws. Again the big one was to Stoops in which Gabriel escaped up the middle.

Edge containment wasn’t a significant detriment in the game based on their scoring drives. Missed tackles by the corners and simply the corners allowing completions were. And ultimately DG rushing yardage in those drives was minimally impactful. Called QB runs were just as impactful.

You’re not going to spy (not that you’re saying this) with a minute left and 75 yards to go. A QB run for 8-9 yards is what we’d dial up.

For two years our LBs show poor patience on QBs threatening the LOS in the pass game. Tech, OSU, and yesterday were big plays because we don’t play situationally. That is hard to do.

I’m not saying the edge guys were good fyi.

3 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

I agree, I wouldn’t assign a spy to a QB with no history of running.

I don’t classify DG as a QB with NO history of running. He has a history of some running and the pre-game expectation was that OU was going to throw everything at this game, to include running their fragile QB. 

The discussion goes beyond just spying him. The bigger issue was that our DL alone was not doing enough to make DG uncomfortable on obvious passing downs and their 2 minute drill offense. This was painfully obvious by the end of Q2. PK did nothing to adjust and to assign an extra pass rusher to at least make him uncomfortable in the pocket. PK was fine with playing soft getting gashed that way.

No. No. No.  PK proved he is one of the best DCs at Washington, even though he was only co-DC and wasn't chosen to be HC when Peterson left.  Kevin Dunn, Paul Wadlington, Ian Boyd, and Bobby Burton all say so.  Just pay 9.95 every month or you don't get it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I rewatched it. Holy Ghost of Ovie.. OU let the edges get up field all game and skipped by untouched underneath. They abused them. 

I noticed that too.  The number one rule on the edge is that you don't run up field past the QB.  Hill did repeatedly and once during the last drive.  It was the play where DG scrambled for 30 yards.  5 star talent but the coaches either don't teach or hold them accountable enough to make a play when it counts.

• immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?