Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

16 hours ago, naija said:

I don't know what to make of the guy. Right now, it seems like he needs a pass rush in a bad way to make the defense he wants to run work.  But there isn't a single good, not to take of elite, pass rusher on this defense. We just occupy space at the line when teams are passing, and not often the right space...

You serious Clark? How many defenses out there work without a pass rush?

Our safeties are generally liabilities in pass coverage. They also aren't passing off routes well. No corner is gonna cover well consistently for 3+ seconds. We're tackling decently enough on the back end. If they saw the athleticism back there this offseason and didn't bother getting guys like Guilbeau, Jordan, Roberson crosstrained at the position, then that's a huge fucking problem. Maybe Gideon sees himself in Michael Taaffe, but Taaffe should be on the sidelines helping the more athletic guys make the right calls. 

Improving the QB pressure game will help the secondary, but there's a lot of meat left on the bone in the secondary too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It appeared the LBs were over-correcting from the OU game. There were several plays both LBs were yards off the LOS staring the QB down. 1 might have been a spy, but not both. Safety play is just a problem. There is a lack athleticism there. Crawford is fast, but just doesn’t have the instincts. I want to see more Williams, but he plays behind Catalon. It would be nice to see some potential at FS.. 

So many issues with the middle of this defense. We can't get through the wash on simple crossing routes. LBs eye discipline is terrible. 21 and 16 got worked in coverage yesterday. Neither of those guys can run with anyone. 28 is slow but at least understands responsibilities.

Pass rush is terrible, and we aren't doing much to help them. We get in long yardage situation and do nothing exotic to free someone up. It's weird. Guys clearly can't win on their own. Scheme them open. Do something. Frustrating.

• Rage+1 1

Guilbeau's poor play likely necessitated Barron's early return in the second half of the game. It's hard to see what went wrong in real time and it was hot as hell yesterday.

His lack of communication and out of control nickel blitz led to the second TD.

Edited by Atticus

As this is a FB board and delusional thoughts are required, would love to see coordinators and anyone in a charge of a specific unit have contracts with massive disparities in pay based on each unit’s performance PER GAME, rather than the season. That would force a lot of discipline and redundancy/cross training into each position, and aggressive play.

• Hook 'Em 1

This defense would be completely ineffective against a 2005-2020 big12. We’re lucky as fuck the big12 passing offenses have devolved and we keep getting backup QBs. Thankfully we stop the run but our DBs are simply not good enough to do what we ask them to do. Where are all those mother fuckers that were dunking on PK doubters?

Edited by B00M
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

You serious Clark? How many defenses out there work without a pass rush?

Our safeties are generally liabilities in pass coverage. They also aren't passing off routes well. No corner is gonna cover well consistently for 3+ seconds. We're tackling decently enough on the back end. If they saw the athleticism back there this offseason and didn't bother getting guys like Guilbeau, Jordan, Roberson crosstrained at the position, then that's a huge fucking problem. Maybe Gideon sees himself in Michael Taaffe, but Taaffe should be on the sidelines helping the more athletic guys make the right calls. 

Improving the QB pressure game will help the secondary, but there's a lot of meat left on the bone in the secondary too. 

This is interesting in terms of creating some pressure. 

Gerry just said Jahdae wasn’t supposed to play because he was hurt.  He came in because we needed him to win.  That’s kind of sick.
I’m not sure I believe that. He was pretty pumped after making a play. I believe he convinced them to let him play.
This defense would be completely ineffective against a 2005-2020 big12. We’re lucky as fuck the big12 passing offenses have devolved and we keep getting backup QBs. Thankfully we stop the run but our DBs are simply not good enough to do what we ask them to do. Where are all those mother fuckers that were dunking on PK doubters?

If this were the old Big 12, this coaching staff would have been gone last year.
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Our secondary is really shitty when any combination of Taafe, Crawford, and Thompson are on the field together. Catalon didn't play a snap, it appeared Barron was suspended for the 1st half. Still, why the fuck was Barron or Guilbeau not moved to S in the spring. Holy shit, that position is a fucking eyesore.

Barron is awesome at star. He probably the 2nd best player on defense. He can’t be moved. He is just too important. The fact that we are only seeing Williams makes me wonder about recruiting and development. It’s not Taaffe and Thompson’s fault that Texas can’t find/develop someone to at least take some snaps from them 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

We blitzed a lot, it just we blitz off the edges almost exclusively and it doesn't work. You need to run stunts and blitz up the middle. Of course, it also doesn't help that we'd clear the entire middle of the field and played man against an air raid team.

This has been driving me crazy. We hardly ever blitz the middle. 

This is kind of misleading. Smith was busy throwing the ball behind his receivers for the first part of this game. They were open. He was just missing them.

Yeah, the first pass play was a td if it’s in front of the wr. The only reason it wasn’t a huge play was because the guy dropped a pass I’d expect a 7th grader to catch.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This is kind of misleading. Smith was busy throwing the ball behind his receivers for the first part of this game. They were open. He was just missing them.

I would agree with a caveat. Texas got some nice natural pressure early and Smith was wildly inaccurate.. PK blitzed more as Smith was dissecting the defense. I am not sure if it is the liberal substitutions (some of that out of necessity later in the game), but communication in the secondary is wretched. When that is a problem, blitzing highlights the problems. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

I would agree. Texas got some nice natural pressure early and Smith was wildly inaccurate.. PK blitzed more as Smith was dissecting the defense. I am not sure if it is the liberal substitutions (some of that out of necessity later in the game), but communication in the secondary is wretched. When that is a problem, blitzing highlights the problems. 

What do you think the issue is with refusing to use exotics to manufacture pressure? We just rush four vanillas or we bring an extra guy. When we get teams backed up we don't really use a lot of stunts to get guys free. Not sure why but we need to protect our back end. Also, opponents are keeping guys in to protect to take shots on us down the field. Even with less targets out there we are still losing guys behind the LBs or guys are canceling themselves out, getting picked by their own man on a shallow crosser. It's honestly hard to watch.

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You’re right. I think it points to the fact that our secondary doesn’t give us a lot of options in trying to help their faults. 

I'm probably being too generous, but the depth chart currently has about 5 guys on the DL that I think are NFL guys (Sorrell, Murphy, Sweat, Collins, and maybe Burke, Finkley, and Tapp eventually). That this level of talent is not dominating teams like Houston High is incredibly damning for the coaches.

Your post is misleading.

The 4th down throw to end the game was missed. There are reasons no one is ever 100% on completions.

But yes Smith was off. It also is true that man coverage makes QBing easy in certain cases.

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I though PK had something working but nah.  He's OK. we can do better.  backup QB's covered a lot of warts.

The problem runs deeper than what we’re seeing on game days. PK is a pretty good DC but some of the guys in the secondary have been here for a bit now and are just not getting it done. The Crawford experiment should have been over a long time ago, Taffe was a walk on for a reason, and Thompson is just plain slow and you can’t teach speed. Where is Allen or LTG? Are those guys misses? I love the physicality and proven ability Catalon brings but he has an unfortunate history with injury’s. To me the safety position seems like it was misguided and we are in this position because of it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I'm probably being too generous, but the depth chart currently has about 5 guys on the DL that I think are NFL guys (Sorrell, Murphy, Sweat, Collins, and maybe Burke, Finkley, and Tapp eventually). That this level of talent is not dominating teams like Houston High is incredibly damning for the coaches.

Hate blaming refs but Burke was being held at will 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

54 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

We are stopping the run. That was a huge issue before, now it isn't. Our guys aren't winning one on one when Sweat commands a double team. Blitzers aren't getting home or getting the ball carriers down to the ground often enough. Safeties are unable to guard receivers for even a little before turning them loose. They play the safeties way off because they can't turn and run at all.

Even our former athletic corner-turned-safety, can't guard a slot fade. That was a pretty good throw though.

They went after a few coverage safeties in the portal, but after Ja'Had Carter chose to sit on the bench at Ohio State, we ended up with an oft injured box safety.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Levi said:

The problem runs deeper than what we’re seeing on game days. PK is a pretty good DC but some of the guys in the secondary have been here for a bit now and are just not getting it done. The Crawford experiment should have been over a long time ago, Taffe was a walk on for a reason, and Thompson is just plain slow and you can’t teach speed. Where is Allen or LTG? Are those guys misses? I love the physicality and proven ability Catalon brings but he has an unfortunate history with injury’s. To me the safety position seems like it was misguided and we are in this position because of it. 

At what point to we hold Joseph and Gideon accountable.

Is running a non-gimmicky defense where players can just be aggressive so much to ask? We've watched Diaz's gator rolls, Orlando's exotic blitzes from 30 yards out, now DE's dropping into coverage.. none of that shit fucking works.

Edited by TXpride
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Thatguy said:

What do you think the issue is with refusing to use exotics to manufacture pressure? We just rush four vanillas or we bring an extra guy. When we get teams backed up we don't really use a lot of stunts to get guys free. Not sure why but we need to protect our back end. Also, opponents are keeping guys in to protect to take shots on us down the field. Even with less targets out there we are still losing guys behind the LBs or guys are canceling themselves out, getting picked by their own man on a shallow crosser. It's honestly hard to watch.

All of this discussed in yesterday's Scipio Tex "2023 Houston Cougars Post Mortem" write-up.  Pretty damning comments about regression, poor personnel management, and terrible defensive coaching.  This many player mistakes falls at the feet of the defensive coaches. And the constant recruiting failures at DE are killing Texas

Crawford should not be on the field.  Taafe is too slow.  Gbenda is fuckin' terrible in zone coverage.  The wrong players are being used at safety, which means our corners can't play aggressively because there's nothing behind them.

This is fuckin' ridiculous...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

All of this discussed in yesterday's Scipio Tex "2023 Houston Cougars Post Mortem" write-up.  Pretty damning comments about regression, poor personnel management, and terrible defensive coaching.  This many player mistakes falls at the feet of the defensive coaches. And the constant recruiting failures at DE are killing Texas

Crawford should not be on the field.  Taafe is too slow.  Gbenda is fuckin' terrible in zone coverage.  The wrong players are being used at safety, which means our corners can't play aggressively because there's nothing behind them.

What players would be better? Catalon is out and no one else has shown anything. Gilbeaux had to be taken out because he got burned multiple times. Muhammed and Williams have potential, but even Huff and Brown sucked as Freshmen. Allen has never shown anything. Brooks keeps getting burned. ??

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I said this awhile back. The cushions are likely due to the safeties lack of range. 

On 10/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, 6th Street said:

Have the DBs played press coverage at all this year? Or is this doofus content giving the opposing WR a free release over the middle of the field.

You do understand that if the WR gets off the line he is housing any deep throw because the safeties are not fast enough to make plays on the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

You do understand that if the WR gets off the line he is housing any deep throw because the safeties are not fast enough to make plays on the ball.

Actually, this has not happened at all this year. I wonder how many teams can say that. Now how much do we get up in their face? No idea.

We’ve given up exactly three long TD passes. None of which were press coverage. Then one pretty much long TD. One of those TDs looks to be a busted coverage.

Never mind Bama has deep ball TDs versus 4 of 5 SEC opponents. Three of those teams are top 4 in the country in sacks per game. The other two are top 30 while we sit at tied for 50. OU lit up ISU down the field. They didn’t us. Got 1 jump ball.

Every one of our opponents has scored below their season average against us. There’s no indication statistically that our opponents are any more successful down the field versus us than others.

Tons of discussion about us facing a 3 safety look. We’ve had 3 of the fastest safeties you’ll find on campus lately yet none have satisfied people. Both indicators about safety play.

You aren’t getting consistent coverage on 10.4 100 guys or 4.3 40 guys from corners much less safeties.

Any good OC hopes to isolate a WR on a safety. Just like we should go to Worthy any time that happens. That’s football today and represents a vulnerability every team has.

Texas is 13th in the country for points allowed this season, with 128 total. Five of the teams ahead of us play in the B1G, including the top three. We're giving up right at 16 points per game, which puts us at #15 in the country. We're holding opponents to 97.9 yards rushing per game, also good for #15 in the country. We are #36 in total takeaways with 13, but that ranking is skewed by a bunch (and I mean a bunch) of little schools like Troy, UAB, Coastal Carolina, Liberty, and Bowling Green. Among top tier schools, we'd be #10-12 and not far off the top five.

On the other hand, we are 69th in the country for passing yards allowed per game at 230.1. That puts our yards per game ranking at #27 with a 328 yard average.

So, it seems the basic stats align with the anecdotal evidence and our eye tests: we need to improve in the secondary. Now, I'm fully willing to accept the argument that PK designs the defense with the primary goal of stopping the run, forcing short passes, and making the other team execute to perfection to sustain drives. However, that strategy is not fully supported by the play in our secondary. Still, there has been dramatic improvement from what was inherited and I think PK is a damn good coach. Whenever Gideon or Joseph leave, I expect PK to be the deciding voice for the new hire.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:58 PM, HtownHorn said:

No, message board posters do not understand this.  The answer is always to press on the LOS.