TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, TriStone said:

sigh

Sarcasm homey.  Chiles was clearly saying there was a racial element to the decision.

Which, considering a raw VY started over veteran Chance Mock just a few years prior is idiocy.  And lord knows Chance will still tell anyone that will listen he was robbed that year as well.   Subsequent results be damned.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Texvet16 said:

I hope Casey goes off and doesn’t let up until he finishes his time on the 40 acres but a quarterback change isn’t going to fix that offensive line. Hopefully Sark adjusts to Casey’s attributes and that offensive line manages to improve week-to-week.

You know what does help the OL, a QB that picks up 5-6 yards to help extend drives. Casey will do this, the OL needs game reps to get better, going 3 and out in all but 2 drives in the 1st half limits those game reps. There were yards to be had by Card scrambling that would have extended drives.

VY running his two seasons helped that OL become what they were in 2005 and 2006. Most of them played specifically with VY in 2003 as the young inexperienced players they were because VY could bail them out.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 8

5 hours ago, immamac said:

It's been blatantly obvious for some time that best player doesn't start or get playing time. That doesn't mean that sometimes the best player does start. 

We will see what Casey has the next 2 games. If he absolutely blows out tech I think he keeps the starting job until he turns into a turnover machine. 

Casey is very good, but he's a gamer and seems at his ceiling already, which is fine he's a RS junior that is not a bad thing. Card is good with a ceiling of great, but has no experience and just showed his ass for 3 quarters against a dogshit Arkansas team.  

I have been in Team Casey for a while even though I think Card maybe our future QB a year or two from now. Casey may throw more picks than Card but that's part of being a gamer and taking chances. He also will give us the best chance to win at this juncture. 

30 minutes ago, Llogg said:

He lost out to Tyrone swoopes. Was that racially motivated? If he thinks losing out to a top 5 all time QB at Texas was racist then I don't care what he thinks. I don't think Chiles was referencing race at all.

He lost out to McCoy and Gilbert. Once it was apparent Gilbert was the heir apparent he moved to WR.

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I have been in Team Casey for a while even though I think Card maybe our future QB a year or two from now. Casey may throw more picks than Card but that's part of being a gamer and taking chances. He also will give us the best chance to win at this juncture. 

Whoever starts our bowl game, the backup is transferring. If it's Casey, fine. If it's Card, fine. But both of them will not be here for spring practice.

• Hook 'Em 2

He lost out to McCoy and Gilbert. Once it was apparent Gilbert was the heir apparent he moved to WR.

And Sherrod Harris. With proper system, recruiting, and development in place, Chiles probably should have stayed at the position and allowed Gilbert to redshirt.

At that time, Davis/Mack were coasting off Muschamp and Colt. Roster management on offense was putrid. It hasnt gotten much better on that side of the ball.

Which, considering a raw VY started over veteran Chance Mock just a few years prior is idiocy.  And lord knows Chance will still tell anyone that will listen he was robbed that year as well.   Subsequent results be damned.

Have you ever seen or heard anyone else with a 16-2 TD/Int ratio get benched?

I’ll make no comments as to whether it was a legit decision, but everyone would feel robbed somewhat based on that.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Whoever starts our bowl game, the backup is transferring. If it's Casey, fine. If it's Card, fine. But both of them will not be here for spring practice.

And they probably should as long as they don’t transfer to a school that has already taken in other transfer QBs(hi Jaquinden). 

To be fair, Sark had to still have questions about card to give casey playing time automatically. He probably thought the running game would be good enough to help card out early and then ark blew the plan up.

I am pleased that sark isn't afraid of having a potential qb battle in season when it is obviously warranted.

It's up to him to somewhat adjust his O to his players abilities so I hope he does that.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Have you ever seen or heard anyone else with a 16-2 TD/Int ratio get benched?

I’ll make no comments as to whether it was a legit decision, but everyone would feel robbed somewhat based on that.

And it was an upset blowout loss to Arkansas that turned out be the motivation behind the change.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is some interesting stuff. First I’m not sure Chiles is referencing himself here. But I’m not tweeter savvy either. If he was, I’ve never seen anything out of him showing he was a QB.

Second, is there any larger organization in which “politics “ does not exist? I’ve seen it professionally. I’ve seen it in youth sports. I’ve seen it in high school sports. I saw it happen in the 1980s. I see it in 2021. It exists in all places in my life experiences.

And there’s always a matter of preference. Yeah, some dudes are gamers. Some are practice players. I think Card got the nod because he handles certain elements as desired by Sark. And as several posters have mentioned, sometimes you have to prove it in live action. There absolutely is value in performing in practice too.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I wouldn't mind taking lumps with Card if he had vastly superior talent. He definitely has a higher ceiling, but Card isn't Vince Young to Casey's Chance Mock.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

I wouldn't mind taking lumps with Card if he had vastly superior talent. He definitely has a higher ceiling, but Card isn't Vince Young to Casey's Chance Mock.

Card's optimistic comp is more like Colt. Quick release, very accurate short/intermediate, good but not elite athleticism, maybe a slightly stronger arm than Colt. Right now he's just not there mentally (pocket presence, quick decisions, going through progressions) which is crucial. If he can pick that up, still a very high ceiling.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

If this could be considered a rebuilding year like 2003 was I would be fine rolling with Card to build towards next 2 years (like we did with VY).   But in 2003 we had just graduated a ton of seniors and had elite young talent across the board while absolutely dominating the state and region in recruiting getting anyone we wanted.  Total opposite of now.  Sark absolutely has to win games now.   Given what we all just witnessed Saturday I think Casey absolutely has to start as he's better positioned for THIS team to win now regardless of which QB has the higher ceiling (and yes, agreed Card is no VY from a ceiling perspective).  I'm hoping Casey takes the opportunity and doesn't let go.  

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If this could be considered a rebuilding year like 2003 was I would be fine rolling with Card to build towards next 2 years (like we did with VY).   But in 2003 we had just graduated a ton of seniors and had elite young talent across the board while absolutely dominating the state and region in recruiting getting anyone we wanted.  Total opposite of now.  Sark absolutely has to win games now.   Given what we all just witnessed Saturday I think Casey absolutely has to start as he's better positioned for THIS team to win now regardless of which QB has the higher ceiling (and yes, agreed Card is no VY from a ceiling perspective).  I'm hoping Casey takes the opportunity and doesn't let go.  

Texas also was coming off back to back 11 win seasons and had just signed the #1 class in the country (2002) headlined by VY. 2003 still had Jr. Cedric Benson, the Big 3 at WR all in their SR years, plenty of good TEs, and a good OL bolstered by talented underclassmen.

None of that is true this year, except Robinson is every bit as good as Benson (RIP) was.

Texas can't afford to lose many more games this season, or recruiting will tank again. Thompson is more prepared to do the little things to extend drives that lead to points. He needs to play and be very successful.

I understand Sarkisian wants chunk plays. You know how to get them, make the defensive think about too many things. Arkansas defenders were never put into conflict. They either read run or pass and did their job. If it takes a QB running for 4 or 5 yards here or there, or checking down to RBs in the flat for 4-5 yards here or there, the defense gets tired, starts chasing, and the WRs start to see more green turf. The more plays Texas can run on offense the more chances they are going to have to hit the big shots. Running 20 or so plays in the 1st half because you aren't picking up the yards that were there to extend drives meant Texas didn't have much opportunity for the chunk plays.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

Players thoughts on change by IT:

Moro Ojomo

“We’re behind both of our quarterbacks. We love both of our quarterbacks. We are for whoever our coaches choose. He’s been doing this for 20-plus years. That’s his job. We need to do our job, right? So whoever coach picks, we believe in our coach. We believe in our team. We believe in both of our quarterbacks, and we’re ready to root behind them and play the best possible football we can as a unit.”

Bijan Robinson

“I support both guys. I’ve been riding with both guys since the beginning of the season. Both of them play very great. Casey, I know he has a little more experience than Hudson and he can make some reads or make some calls he might have seen before as he’s been here. I’m happy for Casey. I just know we can execute and ride with him moving forward.”

What has Robinson seen from Thompson?: “I feel like he has a lot of experience. When he got in there, he looked really calm. Nothing really rattled him, nothing really fazed him. It looks like he’s been there before. He just looked comfortable in the pocket. He made the right reds. Even when he had to tuck it and run, he’s still confident when he was doing that. I just think him having that experience behind Sam (Ehlinger), how he’s been here, when he got in it was nothing new for him.”

Was Robinson surprised Thompson didn’t play earlier?: “I’m not surprised. You’ve got to give (Hudson) a chance. With Hudson, he’s never played in an environment like that before. Everything was all new for him, just like for a lot of us on that team. Him coming in, we have to see what he can do and see how he handles that kind of pressure. And it’s good for him to have that kind of experience. I know we made that switch in the second half, but I felt Hudson needed that experience. He needed to get that kind of feel of the game moving on.”

Derek Kerstetter

“I just trust him, man. He’s a heck of a coach. He’s had a lot of good offenses and a lot of good quarterbacks. I fully support his decision. I fully support Hudson and Casey. They’re both good quarterbacks and just love playing for both of them.”

What has Kerstetter seen from Thompson?: “He’s came in and played well when he’s gotten his opportunities. We’ll see what he’s got. I believe in him and I’m fully supportive of Hudson and him like I said. They’re both good quarterbacks and we’re excited to see what he’s got.”

DeMarvion Overshown

What did Overshown see from Thompson at Arkansas?: “I saw more experience. You could tell early on that Hudson was a little rattled. Casey went in, he used his legs pretty good and was able to escape. You could tell he was just more experienced. That’s an offensive thing. I know Coach Sark has got a plan for those guys. I was just really working on the defensive side.”

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, SDG said:

Pretty damn bumble kid showing a lot of leadership.  Starts at the 6 minute mark. 

Makes it even more harder to believe that he was trying to "take the team hostage" and force Sarks hand. By threatening to transfer. All spun up by FCB and our dipshit friends at IT.  Unless Casey is a pretty good bullshitter but I believe it's more so the former w mods trying to turn this whole thing into a shitty soap opera

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cajun said:

He definitely is.  All the usual losers are now pretending they weren’t following suit.

It's actually hilarious how exhaustively this QB battle has been discussed over the past year plus. Then, with a modicum of racebait people are willing to forsake all that to imagine that the decision-making process revolved around something no one ever bothered to mention.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It's actually hilarious how exhaustively this QB battle has been discussed over the past year plus. Then, with a modicum of racebait people are willing to forsake all that to imagine that the decision-making process revolved around something no one ever bothered to mention.

Like I said, all the losers here need is that bait and off we go!

Clockwork.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Hahaha!! Fucking Overshown. We all saw Card was indeed rattled. As shitty as the O-line was, we still could've won that game with even mediocre QB play.

Someone ought to ask how rattled the defense was giving up 300+ on the ground.  He was a freshman playing in arguably the most hostile environment of his career under a first year coach.  No kidding.  I just want the best players on the field and so far, it seems Casey is the guy.  

• Haha 4

I definitely thought Thompson looked like the better QB Saturday. You could tell he has more experience finding the soft spots in the zone and his running ability seemed like it added a lot more of a threat.

However I don’t think you should give up on Card just yet. His OL did him no favors and his second start coming against a well-respected DC like Odom who can disguise coverages well is a tough break. Matt Corral last year threw six interceptions against Odom’s defense but was one of the better QBs in college football the rest of the year once he gained some experience. Other than the fumble (which was really just unfortunate) he protected the football which is what you want from a young QB. He made good decisions on those 2-3 deep balls that will probably be completions later on in the season when his nerves settle down.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

I definitely thought Thompson looked like the better QB Saturday. You could tell he has more experience finding the soft spots in the zone and his running ability seemed like it added a lot more of a threat.

However I don’t think you should give up on Card just yet. His OL did him no favors and his second start coming against a well-respected DC like Odom who can disguise coverages well is a tough break. Matt Corral last year threw six interceptions against Odom’s defense but was one of the better QBs in college football the rest of the year once he gained some experience. Other than the fumble (which was really just unfortunate) he protected the football which is what you want from a young QB. He made good decisions on those 2-3 deep balls that will probably be completions later on in the season when his nerves settle down.

no one is giving up on Card at all.

19 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

Good post. Interesting about Corral, I had no idea. I remember Odom completely befuddled the Leach attack last year too. But yeah, Hudson's nerves got the best of him against a top DC in a hostile atmosphere. Happens to young guys all the time. No one should give up on him.