The US and Korea

RomaVicta

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

I wish I could say the same, but everything continues to suggest that Kim is purely working towards legitimacy as a nuclear state, and there continues to be no reasonable explanation for why he would give up his nukes after blowing off Trump's threats to advance their development.  

If you were a western educated 34 year old NORK, beset on all sides by people who wanted to assassinate your ass, living in relative squalor in your hermit kingdom with an option for a golden parachute out what would you do. I'd find a way to say yes and spend the rest of my life rolling a yacht fully equipped with all the right "western amenities". But that's just me. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

If you were a western educated 34 year old NORK, beset on all sides by people who wanted to assassinate your ass, living in relative squalor in your hermit kingdom with an option for a golden parachute out what would you do. I'd find a way to say yes and spend the rest of my life rolling a yacht fully equipped with all the right "western amenities". But that's just me. 

Western educated is not Western.  He's North Korean, born into dictatorship.  He's murdered untold numbers of people.   He does not have your mindset or mine.    And if he did, he wouldn't have waited until now to deal. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think Rocketman is a Western educated, young dictator, who has seen the finer things outside of Pyongyang. Denuclearize the peninsula, unfuck your human rights abuses, open your country up and put in on a longer term path to unification, and all the doors and decadence of the world stage will be open to you. Don't and go back to your fucking hermit kingdom where you are a breath away from assassination and coup every moment. I think that he takes the deal. I hope he takes the deal. 

Lulz.  Dude assassinated his brother like last year.  He's on year 7 of power and still throws toddlers in labor camps for shit their grandpa does. Yeah, he is practically Prince Harry. He will be royal wedding it up in 5 years and we'll be talking about the crazy hats and whatever type of fucking dog he has will be the new corgi.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

Western educated is not Western.  He's North Korean, born into dictatorship.  He's murdered untold numbers of people.   He does not have your mindset or mine.    And if he did, he wouldn't have waited until now to deal. 

I am willing to concede that that may very well be a naive perspective. But it might also be the only chance that we have to see a denuked korea. 

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Lulz.  Dude assassinated his brother like last year.  He's on year 7 of power and still throws toddlers in labor camps for shit their grandpa does. Yeah, he is practically Prince Harry. He will be royal wedding it up in 5 years and we'll be talking about the crazy hats and whatever type of fucking dog he has will be the new corgi.

If he denukes, he will get showered with roses and butterfly kisses. And probably a Nobel. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am willing to concede that that may very well be a naive perspective. But it might also be the only chance that we have to see a denuked korea. 

Hey, I'd be thrilled if you are right.  But I don't see it.   I think the only chance for a denuked NK is to keep up the economic pressure and continue to wait it out, for a coup or random early death or whatever.   And if I'm right, all of these propaganda victories KJU is getting are just making the situation worse.  Add in the message this sends to every other rogue country that wants nukes.   I bet Iran would like this red carpet treatment. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If he denukes, he will get showered with roses and butterfly kisses. And probably a Nobel. 

He's not there to denuke. He's there to have his nukes accepted.  He wants to be a stabilized nuclear power. This meeting has him half way there. They look like our equals. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

He's not there to denuke. He's there to have his nukes accepted.  He wants to be a stabilized nuclear power. This meeting has him half way there. They look like our equals. 

Nobody thinks NK is our equals. Nobody. 

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

This and it's fucking embarrassing.  We're giving a summit to a country that is in the middle of a famine.  We're basically meeting with Ethiopia.

• Like 1

This and it's fucking embarrassing.  We're giving a summit to a country that is in the middle of a famine.  We're basically meeting with Ethiopia.

“It’s an honor”.

I know it gets old playing “imagine if Obama did this” but Jesus.

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So a yacht with hookers and blow, amirite

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

“It’s an honor”.

I know it gets old playing “imagine if Obama did this” but Jesus.

or if this was hillary, those moaning on this thread would be claiming they deserve the nobel

15 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I wish I could say the same, but everything continues to suggest that Kim is purely working towards legitimacy as a nuclear state, and there continues to be no reasonable explanation for why he would give up his nukes after blowing off Trump's threats to advance their development.  

I've always struggled with the idea that some sovereign nations are blessed with the right to wield nukes while others apparently shouldn't be allowed. The only path to becoming a "legitimate" nuclear state is to develop the capability and then tell the rest of the world to fuck off because you now have the weapons. Unless you are Isreal, nobody is going to hold your hand through the process.

The science is understood, the difficulty is in working around the efforts of "legitimate" powers to subdue other nations that crave the same legitimacy. North Korea won't be the last country to achieve this capability, and it's impossible to stuff the genie back in the bottle. 

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I've always struggled with the idea that some sovereign nations are blessed with the right to wield nukes while others apparently shouldn't be allowed. The only path to becoming a "legitimate" nuclear state is to develop the capability and then tell the rest of the world to fuck off because you now have the weapons. Unless you are Isreal, nobody is going to hold your hand through the process.

The science is understood, the difficulty is in working around the efforts of "legitimate" powers to subdue other nations that crave the same legitimacy. North Korea won't be the last country to achieve this capability, and it's impossible to stuff the genie back in the bottle. 

The way to become "legitimate" is to do just what KJU is doing. Act like a stable leader that will only use them in defense. 

Ironically, I'd guess Israel is the most likely state to actually use a nuke first and offensively. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Playing nuclearization has gotten him this far.  Not sure why he’d fold that hand at this point.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

Just now, Goredho said:

Betting on nuclearization has gotten him this far.  Not sure why he’d fold that hand at this point.

He didn't lay those bets. His grandfather and his father did.  I think he cashes out his chips. But that may be naively optimistic. 

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Playing nuclearization has gotten him this far.  Not sure why he’d fold that hand at this point.

thought i heard lester holt say therell be a 3am cdt presser by trump. who knows what the hells gonna happen between now and then, but ive already flippd on family feud on GSN

We’ll have to wait and see.  I hope you are right and I’m wrong.

Serious question, has any other nation that developed nuclear weapons seriously de-nuclearized?  I’m not aware of any, but I could be ignorant.

Just now, Goredho said:

We’ll have to wait and see.  I hope you are right and I’m wrong.

Serious question, has any other nation that developed nuclear weapons seriously de-nuclearized?  I’m not aware of any, but I could be ignorant.

South Africa only one that comes to mind. 

I suspect a transcript of the actual conversation between these two would read like a deleted scene from Sixteen Candles between Grandpa Fred and Long Duk Dong. 

No more yankie my wankie, the Donger need food! Then Rodman shows up with about 15 McD's value meals, and the party continues.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I think Rocketman is a Western educated, young dictator, who has seen the finer things outside of Pyongyang. Denuclearize the peninsula, unfuck your human rights abuses, open your country up and put in on a longer term path to unification, and all the doors and decadence of the world stage will be open to you. Don't and go back to your fucking hermit kingdom where you are a breath away from assassination and coup every moment. I think that he takes the deal. I hope he takes the deal. 

Would China take the deal?

Un has consolidated his power. He's assassinated everyone who might threaten his power, made N. Korea a nuclear state, and now has a meeting on the world stage with the American president. His biggest vulnerability to assassination or coup is if he does something China doesn't want him to do. Kim plans to be dictator 40 years from now. Pissing off China isn't the way to do that. 

Recipe, plz?
The Indian BBC news anchor covering this is gorgeous.

Smoke. And the accent always takes it to 11.
He didn't lay those bets. His grandfather and his father did.  I think he cashes out his chips. But that may be naively optimistic. 

Yes. It may be.

We already gave them the main thing they wanted: legitimacy. There’s a reason no president met with him before. If they get something like that, we should get something in return. We got nothing. ART OF THE DEAL!

I predict that we’ll get some sort of hollow semi-commitment that (1) Trump will describe as MUCH more than it is, (2) the DPRK media will promptly correct him, (3) he’ll go into a bad toddler pout, and say that Kim is as big a baddie as Trudeau, and (4), whatever commitment there is will be broken by the DPRK within a year.