The US and Korea

RomaVicta

One person close to Trump said that the president was unhappy with Pence for public remarks he made earlier this week that appeared to threaten Kim with the prospect of regime change if North Korea didn't meet America's terms to rid itself of nuclear weapons. "This will only end like the Libyan model ended if Kim Jung Un doesn't make a deal," Pence said Monday.

=============

So I've been away from the computer all day, but I heard Pence's Quote on NPR and I was all, WTF? Why would he say that UNLESS he wants to undermine Trump? That sure wasn't a well-timed, reasoned comment if you were trying not to upset a delicate situation.

I remember readying the other day that he has been preparing for a possible run in 2024( maybe take over the presidency even sooner) and that he is sort of becoming the de facto head of the Republican party since Trump doesn't give a shit about that role. Maybe he sabotaged  the "Wag the Jong" attempt so Trump doesn't have a big fake win to point at? Is He trying to build himself up within the party so that he mitigates the damage that Trump does to the party and therefore any chance he has to be president? It'll be interesting to see how things transpire as he builds his position, since Trump is going to notice "disloyalty" and become jealous of any perceived shift of deference toward Pence from the base.  

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

He has to be constantly suspicious of any potential coup, to the point that he's even executed family members. And he was educated in the west, so he knows that his country is massively screwed up and has no way of getting to be otherwise. And say he wants to improve it and try and rejoin the rest of the world? Well that just means that the generals and high level officials will lose their status and gravy train, further increasing the chance of a coup. They can't be too happy about his efforts so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if he isnt facing a ton of internal pressure not to make any sort of deal that would jeopardize their power.

If I recall correctly, it was a Swiss boarding school. I've only know one person who attended one of those, and she's pretty screwed up. So who knows?

cue the benny hill clip.  watching this play out reminds me of my interactions with severe personality disorder at ASH. 

https://www.apnews.com/d00b3832b7cf40d698a510df67f0ee11/N.-Korea-keeps-hopes-of-talks-alive-after-Trump-cancellation

“As far as the historic (North Korea)-U.S. summit is concerned, we have inwardly highly appreciated President Trump for having made the bold decision, which any other U.S. presidents dared not, and made efforts for such a crucial event as the summit,” Kim said. “His sudden and unilateral announcement to cancel the summit is something unexpected to us and we cannot but feel great regret for it.”

Edited by Anastasis

I've only sensed authentic emotion from Trump twice in the last year.  Once when I heard the audio of him reflecting on his first 100 days in office, and today when he made the public announcement of the cancellation of the Summit.

When I saw his public address today, he looked and sounded vulnerable, hurt, and scared.  I was taken aback.  All along I suspected that NK and the WH have been involved in kabuki at the direction of Putin and potentially Xi as a way to help prop up and propel the investment, Donald Trump.  One read of NK backing out is that this is a signal to Trump that it's becoming abundantly clear that nothing will extricate him from the pit of shit he's descending into.  And Trump is now realizing it's the stream of lifelines that are getting cancelled . 

It could help explain the sheer panic and flailing we're witnessing this week.

I've only sensed authentic emotion from Trump twice in the last year.  Once when I heard the audio of him reflecting on his first 100 days in office, and today when he made the public announcement of the cancellation of the Summit.
When I saw his public address today, he looked and sounded vulnerable, hurt, and scared.  I was taken aback.  All along I suspected that NK and the WH have been involved in kabuki at the direction of Putin and potentially Xi as a way to help prop up and propel the investment, Donald Trump.  One read of NK backing out is that this is a signal to Trump that it's becoming abundantly clear that nothing will extricate him from the pit of shit he's descending into.  And Trump is now realizing it's the stream of lifelines that are getting cancelled . 
It could help explain the sheer panic and flailing we're witnessing this week.

There may be something to that. NK was perhaps his last best chance for an epic “win” (even though all of us knew it wouldn’t happen even if they met, HE didn’t know that). And he just saw it slip away. There is no marquee win in view. Just a looming collapse when the Mueller report comes out.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:24 PM, Ted Lange said:

Really impressed with media pivot from “trump is an asshole for meeting with NK and elevating them to superpower” to “ dumbass Trump couldn’t get the deal done and now we have egg on our face.”

Really impressed with media pivot from “trump is an asshole for meeting with NK and elevating them to superpower” to “ dumbass Trump couldn’t get the deal done and now we have egg on our face.”

That’s not really a pivot, genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2018 at 9:48 PM, burntorangebongos said:

One person close to Trump said that the president was unhappy with Pence for public remarks he made earlier this week that appeared to threaten Kim with the prospect of regime change if North Korea didn't meet America's terms to rid itself of nuclear weapons. "This will only end like the Libyan model ended if Kim Jung Un doesn't make a deal," Pence said Monday.

=============

So I've been away from the computer all day, but I heard Pence's Quote on NPR and I was all, WTF? Why would he say that UNLESS he wants to undermine Trump? That sure wasn't a well-timed, reasoned comment if you were trying not to upset a delicate situation.

It's impossible to make any definitive statements on foreign policy that are consistent with Trumps message, because nobody knows what verbal diarrhea will spill out of Trump from one day to the next. Trump gave a speech on May 17th that started out by saying that "the Libyan model isn't a model we have at all when we're thinking of North Korea" but then later adds "that model will take place if we don't make a deal, most likely." Good luck trying to stay consistent with that.

Trump's policy decisions are governed 100% by how his actions are gauged by the press and his constituents, rather than by how his actions will actually benefit/harm the well being of the US. If he impulsively lurches one way that causes a negative reaction from the groups he is currently pandering to, you can be certain he will flip his position immediately. We have seen it with healthcare, immigration, trade tariffs etc... why should North Korea be any different. He's a fucking moron.

5 minutes ago, retread said:

Because of withdrawing from the Iran deal, the Libya Model comments, and DOTUS' dumbassery in general, NK will never trust us. They'll just rope-a-dope and enjoy sitting at the grown ups table.

It's all Putin/NK/Trump kabuki being used for timed distraction.  Yesterday, barely 24 hrs after a national letter and announcement of Trump canceling the NK Summit, Trump circled back with comments that a dialogue was restarted with North Korea with Trump suggesting that a meeting between the two countries could even take place on the originally scheduled date.  This is orchestrated drama being intentionally drawn out to blunt the expanding avalanche of damning news coming out about Trump/Russia.

Putin is scripting this and is squarely in the middle:  Putin: North Korea points to need for US-Russia summit

This is no more authentic than fucking WWF. 

sg-billionaires_announcement--9662f10e43

9 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

But I'm hard pressed to believe that Russia and China do not have some sort of alliance to disrupt our global standing. 

Oh, they are absolutely in cahoots in some areas.

This is Henry Kissinger’s triangular diplomacy resurrected. 

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Don’t kid yourself, China is the puppet master when it comes to all things North Korea.  

I posted it earlier upthread.  China has a heavy hand in NK affairs, but I'm convinced this Trump/Jong Summit act is being orchestrated by Putin.

11 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

But I'm hard pressed to believe that Russia and China do not have some sort of alliance to disrupt our global standing. 

I buy that.

6 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

posted it earlier upthread.  China has a heavy hand in NK affairs, but I'm convinced this Trump/Jong Summit act is being orchestrated by Putin.

Only with China’s blessing.  

China can put the kibosh on the whole deal anytime they want to.

Kim Jong Un reportedly cried over North Korea's bad economy, and it could show he's ready to cave to Trump

• A video of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un crying about his country's terrible economy is reportedly circulating in the country.
  • The video, which was described by a defector, would mark a very strange development and possibly signal big changes coming to the country.
  • If Kim is crying about the North Korean economy, then he's effectively crying about President Donald Trump's successful sanctions regime.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kim-jong-un-reportedly-cried-over-n-korea-economy-before-trump-talks-2018-5

Here in Idiot World, Trump raises N. Korea to World Power Status and threatens them for months. Trump takes credit for N&S Korea rapprochement initiated by S. Korea. Trump wants in on the act and works for a summit with no preconditions; he celebrates it on a coin. Trump then petulantly writes a break up letter with Un. 

Now, Trump scrambles to restore summit plans. His precondition is to pre-position a hamburger chain in N. Korea since there is a possibility he may visit there one day.

Trump claims huge victory. Best foreign policy move in the history of foreign policy. Why won't fake news and the Nobel Prize Committee give him his due?

Orders a double meat double cheese from the Chosin Un franchise in DC. Thinks how happy the soldiers screaming in agony or weakly watching their lives drain away on the battlefield would be if they could see what President Donald R. Trump had done for their country. Those guys know. They know. Why can't the world see it? Nom nom.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 2

Trump's people now floating out idea of removing troops from South Korea to "save money". Yeah he throws away a trillion plus in future corporate tax revenue, hikes up the defense budget to ungodly levels to fuel more waste while flooding more American soldiers to die on hostile foreign ground they dont belong on, but we can't keep soldiers in a key strategic allies' land because he wants to save money? 

He's either being played or he's actively sabotaging America's global influence.

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2018/05/31/615517016/would-the-u-s-withdraw-troops-from-south-korea

My best guess at the (mid-term) end game here is an official recognition of the legitimacy of North Korea, peace treaty (Nobel Prize, holla!), and withdrawal of most American forces on the peninsula. Beyond that, I don't care to speculate.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, SmokeyTheBear said:

And with the secret meeting between nk and sk going public, we're seeing more and more a show that they don't need us involved in diplomacy in the region. China wins. 

Astute.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:23 AM, Jive Turkey said:

Maybe it’s back on. Either way, Trump is getting played. He ain’t in control of shit.

I bet Kim has awful breath. I wonder if he'll get Trump to stoop down and catch a blast as they embrace.

I look forward to our "summit" meetings with Somalia and Myanmar.

Idiot World.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, SmokeyTheBear said:

And with the secret meeting between nk and sk going public, we're seeing more and more a show that they don't need us involved in diplomacy in the region. China wins. 

Agreed, but this still will be a talking point of the Trump campaign of 2020, that it wouldn't have happened if not for the intervention the the current administration used...

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can someone please explain to me how this poor shithole country with no internet in Asia became a nuclear ICBM power with some of the world’s best cyber terrorists?  

Just asking questions

By starving its citizens to fund a massive military and nuclear arms development