Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

19 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

We went to Wal Mart after lunch and I was killing time while the girls shopped. I knew I had at least an hour before they were going to be ready. Came out of the bathroom at the exact time another guy was reaching for the door to come in and we almost bumped into each other. I gave him an “Excuse me… sorry” and he didn’t reciprocate, just mean mugged me and brushed by. I was thinking what a rude ass he was when I saw his loaded up cart full of stuff he’d left outside the bathroom and spent the next 10 minutes putting everything back on the shelves.

I wanted to make sure that you knew that my response to your post was made completely in jest. 
I have told my wife (and only half kidding) that if I outlive her, I am going to discreetly trickle her ashes down the aisles of our local Wal-Mart. 
I swear neither her nor my mother-in-law have ever met a Wal-Mart that they didn’t like. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

One should not be employed in the capacity of project management or project controls if you have subpar communication skills. Communicating in those roles is half the job, sometimes more.

I had a recruiter call me earlier this morning. Could hardly understand them with the accent as thick as it was. It was a terrible experience, and not uncommon. 

The older I get, the more I think that every single job is made up of two jobs- the actual physical work itself, and communicating with people. 

I just went back to working at an engineering firm after two years with an oil company. The stereotype is real that many engineers lack communication skills. However, PM/PC people absolutely must be able to communicate. Struggling right now with the project I got assigned to. Hoping this wasn’t a mistake.

I had a recruiter call me earlier this morning. Could hardly understand them with the accent as thick as it was. It was a terrible experience, and not uncommon. 

I have had that issue before, especially with recruiters. But I am used to accents working in this industry. Hell, my father is an immigrant. This person I am dealing with does have a strong accent, but that’s not the issue this time. It’s the lack of clear explanation and ability to clearly delegate. I hear her on the phone struggling with a junior type person in India that is helping out on the project. I have asked 5 times now if I can help. She is still “thinking about it”.

I think we need a “bitch about your job thread”.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:25 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

On smoking...

Grandparents smoked like chimneys.  I remember when they moved from their house and taking pictures off the wall and seeing the orangish tint on the walls.  Disgusting. 

We walked into a bar in Austin not long after public smoking bans went into effect.  The smell of the smoke free bar was so bad, I remember thinking maybe they should have exceptions for smoking in certain places.

Cigar smoking...

I know there are few of us that remember the days when people smoked in the stands at football games.  I remember attending night games at Baylor Stadium and seeing a cloud of cigarette and cigar smoke hanging under the stadium lights.  To this day, when I smell cigar smoke, I am transported back to those nights and the times I got to spend with my grandfather who always took me to ball games when I was in town. It never fails to make my smile.

The one place I thought that smoking should not be banned was in restrooms.  I'd much rather smell someone's burning cigarette than their rank crap.  In some cases, I bet the crap is more toxic than the second hand smoke.

• Like 1

I wanted to make sure that you knew that my response to your post was made completely in jest. 
I have told my wife (and only half kidding) that if I outlive her, I am going to discreetly trickle her ashes down the aisles of our local Wal-Mart. 
I swear neither her nor my mother-in-law have ever met a Wal-Mart that they didn’t like. 

I figure every Surly post is in jest.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I find the realignment thread fascinating.

It is posted on every few minutes the last 5+ years. I’ve made a comment or 2 before, but they get relegated to page 2 in a few hours.

No problem with the posters who are all in on that thread, not at all. But, it is still fascinating the number of people who care what schools in CA go to the B1G or SEC or ACC.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know some veterans that have Emotional Support Animals. I know most ESA’s are bullshit, you can go online and get any animal certified as one by a quack veterinarian so you can take your non housebroken bark machine on a plane or into HEB and no pet clauses at apartments are rendered useless. But real, trained ESA’s help a ton of people. I have a buddy from the VFW, an Afghanistan Vet, that won’t leave his house without his dog. Wouldn’t even go into the midget wrasslin with me (no shit) because his dog wouldn’t be able to handle the noise. My question is, these folks put so much of their emotional well being on these animals, who will more than likely be dead within 10-13 years. What are they going to do then, just go get another one and put their emotional baggage on it? That’s a lot to ask of a puppy.

Holy shit, they filled in Rollover. I had heard they were going to do that a few years ago and hadn't thought about it since. Looking on Google, it's all filled in. Anyone know the reason?

image.png.a5447406f8c4450097f78c428c2d33ca.png

22 hours ago, markstanco said:

I find the realignment thread fascinating.

It is posted on every few minutes the last 5+ years. I’ve made a comment or 2 before, but they get relegated to page 2 in a few hours.

No problem with the posters who are all in on that thread, not at all. But, it is still fascinating the number of people who care what schools in CA go to the B1G or SEC or ACC.

Mainly big twelve homers rooting against the pac

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Holy shit, they filled in Rollover. I had heard they were going to do that a few years ago and hadn't thought about it since. Looking on Google, it's all filled in. Anyone know the reason?

I seem to recall that they filled it in because it kept filling in naturally and the cost of dredging it out frequently was too high to sustain.  A lot of folks wanted it kept open, but wanted everyone else to pay for it.

I seem to recall that they filled it in because it kept filling in naturally and the cost of dredging it out frequently was too high to sustain.  A lot of folks wanted it kept open, but wanted everyone else to pay for it.

Bummer. I fished there the morning of my wedding.
Yeah, I’m a classy dude, and don’t doubt my SETX bonafides.
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bummer. I fished there the morning of my wedding.
Yeah, I’m a classy dude, and don’t doubt my SETX bonafides.

Not exactly the same, but similar: My dad took my mom fishing at Packery Channel near Corpus the evening before I was born.  He got the car stuck there and almost didn't get it out.  Less than 12 hours later, yours truly emerged.  My Grandma (mom's mom) damn near brained my dad for that.  She was still giving him what-for while he held me for the first time.  My dad's South Texas bonafides are obvious, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too much saltwater from the gulf getting into the bays and doing damage to the ecosystem. It was built to help the bay fishing but actually hurt it and the oystering.
  • Like 1

It seems society has worked Mr Pink’s problem out

So is working at McDonald’s but you don’t feel the need to tip them do you? Well why not? They’re serving you food. But no, society says don’t tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That’s bullshit

Now everyone spins the iPad around to solicit a tip. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

I remember laughing at the wife when she bought AAA a ton of years ago. Once again I was wrong. Probably used it 8-10 times in the last 20 years. More than paid for itself with the first tow.

Yeah, wife added the "free" towing package to our insurance years ago.   I thought it was a bad move.  Then between her church and a dozen homes in our neighborhood starting renovation projects, our tires ended up becoming magnets for screws, nails, brads, and large staples.  Probably used it a half dozen times in the last few years and I think we calculated that we're about $ 400  ahead on the whole enterprise.  I've been around active commercial construction sites most of my life.  And those guys know how to pick up their shit. Trouble is on residential projects, they don't give fuck one so we roll through puncturing shit all the time without knowing it for a few days.  Plus you make nice with the tow truck guys on the 'approved vendor" list a speak Spanish with 'em, they'll calculate the maximum amount they can charge the insurance company without any overages coming your way.  Next thing you know his cousin at the tire shop is giving you a free tire with a brand new mileage warranty.  And a Yokohama or Perelli to boot, not some bullshit brand.  When it comes to mechanical shit, go where you gotta go...but the relationship between tow truck guys, insurance/AAA, and tire places is a world you want to learn your way around.  Helps out big time.  

• Like 2

I probably use cash 5-10x/week.  I don't need a digital record of coffee, or tacos, or in the old days-cocktails.  Plus you can leave the tip in cash with the change which the employee appreciates much, much more.  People's fascination with a printed out record of their weekly stops is fucking baffling to me.  

When in public---be polite, hold doors, acquiesce parking spots or entry, smile, nod, do not talk, sneeze into your sleeve, do not talk, nod, pay in cash, slide over after your transaction, do not stand in front of anything for too long, do not use your phone, nod, do not talk, get the fuck out of the way, pay in cash quickly and accurately leaving the generous tips, do not talk, be quiet, shift quickly but smoothly, make people acknowledge your swift politeness and then forget soon after that you ever existed.  Also smile and fart quietly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I probably use cash 5-10x/week.  I don't need a digital record of coffee, or tacos, or in the old days-cocktails.  Plus you can leave the tip in cash with the change which the employee appreciates much, much more.  People's fascination with a printed out record of their weekly stops is fucking baffling to me.  
When in public---be polite, hold doors, acquiesce parking spots or entry, smile, nod, do not talk, sneeze into your sleeve, do not talk, nod, pay in cash, slide over after your transaction, do not stand in front of anything for too long, do not use your phone, nod, do not talk, get the fuck out of the way, pay in cash quickly and accurately leaving the generous tips, do not talk, be quiet, shift quickly but smoothly, make people acknowledge your swift politeness and then forget soon after that you ever existed.  Also smile and fart quietly. 

Man….I was with you right up until your last point. Commie.
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

That’s what I do, except for the shart part.

Sometimes I’ll mix a $2 bill in with the cash tip - the servers always get excited about those.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Sounds like “rules of the road” for a serial killer.

• Haha 1

Never seen these in hotels before.

The hotel is next to the Toronto conference center. I guess it’s for when you hook-up with people you meet at conference.

Not particularly useful for this conference that my wife is attending. 100s of unattractive math (statistics) nerds calculating the probability of banging a stranger is 0%  

IMG_0732.jpeg

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Never seen these in hotels before.

The hotel is next to the Toronto conference center. I guess it’s for when you hook-up with people you meet at conference.

Not particularly useful for this conference that my wife is attending. 100s of unattractive math (statistics) nerds calculating the probability of banging a stranger is 0%  

IMG_0732.jpeg

Yeah, you really left yourself open on this one, SH. 

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

That’s exactly what your wife wants you to think. 

50 minutes ago, nnm said:

Yeah, you really left yourself open on this one, SH. 

Ha! Too bad for her I’m here with her to make sure she doesn’t slut it up with the nerds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Do you keep any in the house for emergencies or in case of the SHTF backup? Like, you would have to go to the ATM of a natural disaster?

Must be an old guy thing. Most guys I know keep a wad of cash on hand for emergencies. Myself included.

Edited by Crapinon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Do you keep any in the house for emergencies or in case of the SHTF backup? Like, you would have to go to the ATM of a natural disaster?

1 hour ago, Crapinon said:

Must be an old guy thing. Most guys I know keep a wad of cash on hand for emergencies. Myself included.

I have a few grand for the kids and emergencies; also have a few pounds of silver around the house. But I stopped carrying cash since the pandemic and don’t really see a reason to start again. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Superhero said:

I have a few grand for the kids and emergencies; also have a few pounds of silver around the house. But I stopped carrying cash since the pandemic and don’t really see a reason to start again. 

Completely understand. I still like having cash in my pocket even though I usually charge everything from a store. There's still a lot of guys who like to be paid in cash and will deal with you on the cost of work/things. 

• Hook 'Em 1