Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

Completely understand. I still like having cash in my pocket even though I usually charge everything from a store. There's still a lot of guys who like to be paid in cash and will deal with you on the cost of work/things. 

I like to tip in cash, I don’t trust the restaurants not to skim the tips.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Look what I found today.

Apple Jacks were my favorite as a kid. I want to like these. They’ll probably be okay. They probably won’t remind me of Apple Jacks and I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed. But I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw them.

My morning routine currently involves half a toasted bagel with cream cheese and apple butter so I didn’t buy a box. Anybody try them yet?

IMG_7741.thumb.jpeg.8328552b160dd1ecdb315fa4746021f9.jpeg

• Drool 1

On 8/10/2023 at 6:52 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Look what I found today.

Apple Jacks were my favorite as a kid. I want to like these. They’ll probably be okay. They probably won’t remind me of Apple Jacks and I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed. But I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw them.

My morning routine currently involves half a toasted bagel with cream cheese and apple butter so I didn’t buy a box. Anybody try them yet?

Dude, treat yourself. Life is short. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Not sure what to think of this. A guy in my neighborhood a couple of doors down started mowing his lawn at 6:20am. 

I get the Texas summer is brutal. I get the impulse to mow your lawn at sunset and dawn, the lowest the temp will be while having light.

But is that a violation of the neighborhood social contract to be respectful and honor a “quiet hours” period?

Edit to add: He’s probably late 50’s/early 60’s in age, if that matters for heat/health danger.

Edited by AnimalTobacco

7 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Dude, treat yourself. Life is short. 

Will it be a treat, though? If it tastes too much of apple and cinnamon, will it taste like Apple Jacks? If it tastes like Apple Jacks, will that be all that good? It looks right. I’m not sure what I’m expecting from the taste.

I’m sure I’ll try it eventually. But like I said, I’ve got bagels and cream cheese and apple butter so my morning sweet pastry slot is already filled.

This is hard to top:

A2BB6AFE-0FFE-4AC0-A7D4-F8E48DAFDFDF.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Saw a box of Kit Kat cereal the other day was tempted but held off. 

Not too long ago I learned that Pop-Tarts cereal was a thing. I’d never seen it in the stores. I checked several stores again but nope, I couldn’t find it. Not that I was planning to buy some, I just wondered if I’d missed it.

While I was looking I found this. I didn’t buy it, either. Wasn’t really interested. But I hadn’t seen it before. Have you seen it? I don’t know if they’re selling it nationwide. Since Wendy’s is based here I thought maybe they were test marketing it.

IMG_5827.thumb.jpeg.83a43da19069ec3a4f6e762e614732d7.jpeg

• Drool 1

Never seen these in hotels before.
The hotel is next to the Toronto conference center. I guess it’s for when you hook-up with people you meet at conference.
Not particularly useful for this conference that my wife is attending. 100s of unattractive math (statistics) nerds calculating the probability of banging a stranger is 0%  

IMG_0732.thumb.jpeg.7c2b835e4b02aa450d1b83c9bef1bb78.jpeg

A math conference sounds exhilarating.

Has something changed in addition or multiplication so drastically that y’all had to leave the country and meet about it?
  • Haha 1

Just now, Underdog said:

Tried the lemon cream pie PTs a while back and wasn't it impressed with it, may have even tried the s'mores but don't remember how they were if I did.  Will just stick with the unfrosted brown sugar/cinnamon, blueberry & strawberry flavors. 

Those are the best. 

Not sure what to think of this. A guy in my neighborhood a couple of doors down started mowing his lawn at 6:20am. 
I get the Texas summer is brutal. I get the impulse to mow your lawn at sunset and dawn, the lowest the temp will be while having light.
But is that a violation of the neighborhood social contract to be respectful and honor a “quiet hours” period?
Edit to add: He’s probably late 50’s/early 60’s in age, if that matters for heat/health danger.

Large acreage neighborhood no big deal, quarter acre house against house and it’s some bullshit!

On 8/10/2023 at 6:52 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Look what I found today.

We weren’t particularly fond of Apple Jacks but they had the best toys inside, so we’d have to put the cereal in the trash without my parents noticing. 

43 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

We weren’t particularly fond of Apple Jacks but they had the best toys inside, so we’d have to put the cereal in the trash without my parents noticing. 

I don’t have any recollection of toys I found in Apple Jacks. The toys I remember most were the ones found in Freakies.

IMG_7895.thumb.png.a457b8af8b6f59f7f45529a08ddfc7c5.png

When I was in 3rd grade a bunch of my classmates and I would race our Freakmobiles out on the playground during recess. That was a blast.

IMG_7897.png.25a960d13d67ef8035aa3fcfdea1b28f.png

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t have any recollection of toys I found in Apple Jacks. The toys I remember most were the ones found in Freakies.

IMG_7895.thumb.png.a457b8af8b6f59f7f45529a08ddfc7c5.png

When I was in 3rd grade a bunch of my classmates and I would race our Freakmobiles out on the playground during recess. That was a blast.

IMG_7897.png.25a960d13d67ef8035aa3fcfdea1b28f.png

Never heard of Freakies. Must have been a midwestern thing. Good for you. Let your freak flag fly. 

53 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Why do people think it is acceptable to take their shoes off on an airplane? Are you shoes really that uncomfortable? If so get some new fucking shoes. 

Gotta let the dogs breathe. Plus easier swiping when you’re snacking. 
feet-swipe-left.gif

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Why do people think it is acceptable to take their shoes off on an airplane? Are you shoes really that uncomfortable? If so get some new fucking shoes. 

Because people are basically just animals these days.  Sorry for the insult to animals.  People just suck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Feet on the dash. I've noticed it's always a female. I have no idea how that works either because my knees hurt just thinking about hyperextending.

Talk to a paramedic.  My SIL is one. When the accident comes, and it will, that airbag is gonna fold her like a hinge and break those legs, knees, hips, and tear every ligament from the pelvis to the toes. 

• Like 2

Saw this posted on the Austin City-Data forum:

I am officially done with Ubering. I paid off the Camry and sold it. Now back to my regular life of studying.

Summary:
No wrecks
No infractions or citations
Punctured a total of 2 tires
2 Vomit incidents, and an additional 4 close calls
I've transported the following:
-- expecting women
-- scooter casualties
-- countless UT drunks
-- violent drunks
-- emotionally distressed drunks
-- comedian drunks
-- a homeless drunk with the wisdom and encouragement of a philosopher
-- countless strippers
-- countless bar hoppers
-- countless musical Uber rides

I've heard every iteration and variation of personal life stories and am now fully qualified to become a Ph.D.

I've kicked out a total of 3 riders to date

I've survived:
-- a road rage incident with a big pickup that attempted a brake check on me.
-- two live gun fire incidents within my immediate vicinity.
-- countless incliment weather instances
-- wrong way drivers
-- drunk drivers
-- inattentive drivers
-- dying of age at some of Austin's traffic lights

When I die, I will be crowned the Uber accomplists and will be rewarded for eternity with valueless assets such as free snacks at 7-11 after purchasing $5 of merchandise, 20% discount for fuel in a world where fuel is free, a priority queue if I ever decide to Uber again, a special burial ground for my corpse near the Airport rideshare lot, and a special regard from Rohit who works in Uber Customer Service in India written in warm Hindi language.

I have thoroughly fulfilled the Uber life. Shalom.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Lurch said:

If your shirts aren’t polyester-spandex blend, are you even living?

You’re just following God’s word.

Leviticus 19:19
You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your animals breed with a different kind; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed; nor shall you put on a garment made of two different materials.

• Like 2

Tropical Storm Hilary is moving up the Baja Peninsula dropping rain on Southern California. Based on the headlines, the number of cancelled events, and people telling each other “be safe”, you’d think Hurricane Andrew levels of rain are falling from the skies.

Instead we’ve gotten a light rain for the past 5 hours for a total of 0.5”. Compared to a Texas thunderstorm, the intensity is like a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Which reminds me… one of things I miss most about living in Austin was the thunderstorms and heavy rain. Perfect time to sit in the garage, drinking a beer while watching the rain. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

In 40 years of inquiry with serious, doctoral level theologians and multi-generational, successful farmers alike..........not a single Christian, agriculturally inclined or otherwise, has ever been able to remotely explain to me the biblical deal about the planting of two kinds of seeds near one another.  Monsanto, whose entire business model is engineering different kinds of seeds, donates to half the churches of the great plains/ag belt.  Or their employees do anyway.  Don't get me started on the two different garments deal.  Was there some kind of satanic polyester craze going on back then?

Thankfully we are still stringent about those biblical teachings to this day and forgot about the love and forgiveness bullshit.  

Feet on the dash. I've noticed it's always a female. I have no idea how that works either because my knees hurt just thinking about hyperextending.
My wife tried that with me way back when. Heifer, I don't care how pretty they are and how much I suck them. Get your damn feet off my dash.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Saw this posted on the Austin City-Data forum:
I am officially done with Ubering. I paid off the Camry and sold it. Now back to my regular life of studying.

Summary:
No wrecks
No infractions or citations
Punctured a total of 2 tires
2 Vomit incidents, and an additional 4 close calls
I've transported the following:
-- expecting women
-- scooter casualties
-- countless UT drunks
-- violent drunks
-- emotionally distressed drunks
-- comedian drunks
-- a homeless drunk with the wisdom and encouragement of a philosopher
-- countless strippers
-- countless bar hoppers
-- countless musical Uber rides

I've heard every iteration and variation of personal life stories and am now fully qualified to become a Ph.D.

I've kicked out a total of 3 riders to date

I've survived:
-- a road rage incident with a big pickup that attempted a brake check on me.
-- two live gun fire incidents within my immediate vicinity.
-- countless incliment weather instances
-- wrong way drivers
-- drunk drivers
-- inattentive drivers
-- dying of age at some of Austin's traffic lights

When I die, I will be crowned the Uber accomplists and will be rewarded for eternity with valueless assets such as free snacks at 7-11 after purchasing $5 of merchandise, 20% discount for fuel in a world where fuel is free, a priority queue if I ever decide to Uber again, a special burial ground for my corpse near the Airport rideshare lot, and a special regard from Rohit who works in Uber Customer Service in India written in warm Hindi language.

I have thoroughly fulfilled the Uber life. Shalom.

Swam4Texas?

16 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
On 8/13/2023 at 3:36 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

My wife tried that with me way back when. Heifer, I don't care how pretty they are and how much I suck them. Get your damn feet off my dash.

You suck toes?

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

Tropical Storm Hilary is moving up the Baja Peninsula dropping rain on Southern California. Based on the headlines, the number of cancelled events, and people telling each other “be safe”, you’d think Hurricane Andrew levels of rain are falling from the skies.

Instead we’ve gotten a light rain for the past 5 hours for a total of 0.5”. Compared to a Texas thunderstorm, the intensity is like a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Which reminds me… one of things I miss most about living in Austin was the thunderstorms and heavy rain. Perfect time to sit in the garage, drinking a beer while watching the rain. 

Guess I should retract my statement. While It was really tame where I live, it fucked up the more inland parts big time. Even my coworker who lives east of LA gchatted the team saying there was flooding in her area. 

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

Guess I should retract my statement. While It was really tame where I live, it fucked up the more inland parts big time. Even my coworker who lives east of LA gchatted the team saying there was flooding in her area. 

Not only were you wrong on the California side, you were wrong on the Texas side. It doesn't do that anymore.

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

You suck toes?

And then you feel sumpin' down by your feet.
It's me, it's JB, I'm suckin' upon your toes.

We don't mind sucking on toes!
Good luck finding a boyfriend who sucks toe, ow!
Havin' sex with me and KG,
Now you're talkin' double team supreme.

My wide bought some sugar scrub for use in the shower and now we have an ant infestation all over the bathroom and in our bedroom. She freaks out and we move to the spare bedroom while the chemicals kick in but she's still using the scrub. Now we have an infestation in the spare bedroom. Guess who's sleeping on the couch tonight? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 4