Bourbon

Jimbaround

Having recently found and bought two bottles of Weller 12 and having a Weller 107 on hand, as well as a handle of the basic Weller, I decided to do a taste test.  I tried each one over about an hour and I had a very hard time telling the basic Weller and the 12 apart.  I love them both. The 107, IMO, was a little better than the other two, but not so much that I would go out of my way to find it once the bottle is finished.  So the lesson for me is that I am easily satisfied by the basic Weller that I can find in any liquor store.  I also have had Pappy and I have easy access to Blanton's at my local drinking hole and I have it quite often, and while I like them, it's not like I can tell that they are remarkably better than a quality, easy-to-find bourbon like basic Weller's, Larceny, etc. 

I've done the same thing with Glen[whatever] 18+ year old scotch and I'm fine with the basic blended Dewer's or J&B.  Same goes for wines--I've had a ton of $100+ bottles of 2nd and 3rd growth Bordeaux and high end S. Rhone wines and some high end CA cabs (but they are generally too big and fruity for my taste), but I am happy with a good Bordeaux or CDP in a good year in the $30-$50 (and sometimes even lower) price range with a little age, and I really can't tell the difference from a quality standpoint between them.  I'm probably a terrible taster for not being able to tell the difference between a great beverage and a good one, but I consider it a blessing not a curse.  I guess I don't know what I'm missing, but that's ok with me.

Just now, HouTex said:

Having recently found and bought two bottles of Weller 12 and having a Weller 107 on hand, as well as a handle of the basic Weller, I decided to do a taste test.  I tried each one over about an hour and I had a very hard time telling the basic Weller and the 12 apart.  I love them both. The 107, IMO, was a little better than the other two, but not so much that I would go out of my way to find it once the bottle is finished.  So the lesson for me is that I am easily satisfied by the basic Weller that I can find in any liquor store.  I also have had Pappy and I have easy access to Blanton's at my local drinking hole and I have it quite often, and while I like them, it's not like I can tell that they are remarkably better than a quality, easy-to-find bourbon like basic Weller's, Larceny, etc. 

I've done the same thing with Glen[whatever] 18+ year old scotch and I'm fine with the basic blended Dewer's or J&B.  Same goes for wines--I've had a ton of $100+ bottles of 2nd and 3rd growth Bordeaux and high end S. Rhone wines and some high end CA cabs (but they are generally too big and fruity for my taste), but I am happy with a good Bordeaux or CDP in a good year in the $30-$50 (and sometimes even lower) price range with a little age, and I really can't tell the difference from a quality standpoint between them.  I'm probably a terrible taster for not being able to tell the difference between a great beverage and a good one, but I consider it a blessing not a curse.  I guess I don't know what I'm missing, but that's ok with me.

My greatest thrill is to find that $20 bottle that drinks like the $60 stuff. Same with wine a $10 bottle that has the flavor of the much more expensive stuff.

1 minute ago, Quagmire said:

Is MWND really really good? I’ve seen it around for 100 bucks but never tried it, dunno about dropping 100 bucks

I think it is excellent. It's almost like a dessert drink though. It's got the spiciness of a rye with a lot of fruit undertones. If you can get it for $90 to $110 then it's a good buy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Quagmire said:
Is MWND really really good? I’ve seen it around for 100 bucks but never tried it, dunno about dropping 100 bucks

I think it is fantastic

I think if you can find it for under a buck-fifty its worth it. PVVY has got the taste on point.

Its my 2nd favorite rye behind THH.

Edit: never have had Sazerac 18yr.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume the bourbon selection is pretty decent in California? It's definitely wine country out there. 

Not as good as one would think, here in SoCal....many liquor stores do large mark-ups on  the premiums. ECBP is $100, if you can find it. ER is all over the place, though. Lucked out and bought 2 bottles of EHT four grain at a meat market in western Nevada for $70 each. They had 4 more bottles they would sell me, but I didn't have anymore cash, credit card was back at the cabin.

As this thread is so long I may be going through the looking glass and saying something I already said, but MWND is my all time favorite accessible brown water and 2nd all time favorite after PVW15

On 12/3/2018 at 11:28 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Love me some Eagle Rare handles. 

I assume the bourbon selection is pretty decent in California? It's definitely wine country out there. 

Norcal, in wine country the selection is pretty good if you know where to look, aka not bevmo. I've posted pics here and on shaggy but ER 750 and handles are easily available, Blanton's sits on the shelf at several locations, I've seen weller 12 at a few locations. Kind of mad my honey hole has started charging higher then retail for Blantons and Weller 12 but they have them in stock, the whales that I've seen are over priced, saw WLW for $500, PVW 15 for $1200 a few weeks go in Windsor near the new Russian River brewery

Had an interesting conversation with the bourbon guy at a local store yesterday.  He is not a fan of Buffalo Trace and their business practices.  Says the shortages we are seeing are all manufactured by BT to drive prices up (I suspect he's probably right about that).  Steered me towards a bourbon I've never tried before, Bell Meade Cask Strength Reserve.  It did not disappoint.  Really like that stuff and will buy it again.  Also got some OF 1910.  Might like that one better than the 1920, but I need to try them side by side to be sure.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:05 AM, HouTex said:

Dewar's white label - for the price - might be my favorite scotch out there. It's great neat, on the rocks, or used for cocktails.

I was very underwhelmed by the Weller Antique store pick I found.  Bought the last two bottles at $30 a piece and well worth that price, but it didn't really stand out for me.

I have occasionally come across a OWA bottle that didn’t work for me. Not sure if there has been a bad year/batch or two or what. Because when it’s good it’s sooooooo good.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Had an interesting conversation with the bourbon guy at a local store yesterday.  He is not a fan of Buffalo Trace and their business practices.  Says the shortages we are seeing are all manufactured by BT to drive prices up (I suspect he's probably right about that).  Steered me towards a bourbon I've never tried before, Bell Meade Cask Strength Reserve.  It did not disappoint.  Really like that stuff and will buy it again.  Also got some OF 1910.  Might like that one better than the 1920, but I need to try them side by side to be sure.

So you were shopping at a Total Wine... 

The bottle of Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve I bought was overly oaky and flat. You couldn’t even taste the high proof. 

I think 1910 is better. Smoother obviously, but also more complex. 

That said 1920 is a B+/A-  bourbon. 

On 12/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, Neonmoon said:

I opened an Evan Williams single barrel. First sip was flat. But it’s opened up a little since then. Not too bad at all. And for 30 dollars, shit, a steal. 

Heaven Hill products typically punch above their weight in terms of value, IMO.  I've been a fan of the EWSB for quite some time, but I think some of the batches from years past are better than more recent vintages, and I've read reviews that have the same initial reaction as yours, i.e., it needs a tad more heat or flavor to liven it up.  But, yeah, for $25-30, it's a great bargain. 

If you liked the EWSB but wish it had a bit more punch, I would recommend Henry McKenna 10 YO B-I-B.  Same mashbill as the EWSB but 100 proof instead of 86.6, and roughly the same price (at least where I live). 

Edited by Carl Spackler

So you were shopping at a Total Wine... 
The bottle of Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve I bought was overly oaky and flat. You couldn’t even taste the high proof. 
I think 1910 is better. Smoother obviously, but also more complex. 
That said 1920 is a B+/A-  bourbon. 
Nope, we don't have total wind in co.

Steered me towards a bourbon I've never tried before, Bell Meade Cask Strength Reserve.  It did not disappoint.  Really like that stuff and will buy it again.

I haven’t really tried much of their stuff, but I know that[mention=129]capnamerca[/mention] is a big fan of BM’s products.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I was very underwhelmed by the Weller Antique store pick I found.  Bought the last two bottles at $30 a piece and well worth that price, but it didn't really stand out for me.

I got a couple of the Liquor Hut NCF picks earlier this year and finally opened one. It is incredible, like a better version of ORVW. 

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Heaven Hill products typically punch above their weight in terms of value, IMO.  I've been a fan of the EWSB for quite some time, but I think some of the batches from years past are better than more recent vintages, and I've read reviews that have the same initial reaction as yours, i.e., it needs a tad more heat or flavor to liven it up.  But, yeah, for $25-30, it's a great bargain. 

If you liked the EWSB but wish it had a bit more punch, I would recommend Henry McKenna 10 YO B-I-B.  Same mashbill as the EWSB but 100 proof instead of 86.6, and roughly the same price (at least where I live). 

That McKenna 10 is EXCEPTIONAL, especially at that price.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Definitely love the McKenna 10. I just love Eagle Rare more. But both are easy to find and cheap. Punch way above their weight, 

• Like 1