The White House Correspondents' Dinner

burntorangebongos

2 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

It doesn't matter what MSNBC does, just like it doesn't matter what the National Enquirer or Infowars does.  People who like their act don't care about the truth or fairness or ...

One of these things is not like the other.

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I understand why it seems like the only play is to respond in kind.  But I would counter with two points:

1. I don’t think getting down in the muck is the only way to win.  Both sides have partisans that respond to that or even demand it, but there are more and more disgusted and disaffected people not identifying with either party who are desperate to support someone who isn’t awful.  There’s an untapped audience for a decent politician with integrity.  Besides, Trump is unpopular, and some of the Democrats who are winning are winning because they’re more decent than their opponents (see Doug Jones). 

2. Even if you don’t agree with 1, what do you actually win by out Trumpkin-ing the other side?  I had been a Republican all my life until 2016.  I’m not anymore (now independent), even though they “won” with all their idiocy.  So what?   I gained nothing from that other than a Pyrrhic victory and being associated with idiots.  Winning with populist con man bullshit, amorality and lying better than the other side is only a feather in the cap if you don’t care about anything except winning an election for no tangible benefit.  I couldn’t give less of a shit about that win.  It’s worth nothing, and they’re accomplishing nothing worthwhile now that they are in charge.  It will be the same for lefty version of Trump, too.

Don't mistake my prediction for advocacy.

I just don't share your faith in that "untapped audience for a decent politician."  And I don't think the strategists in the opposition share your faith, either -- they've done the math.

Even if you don’t agree with 1, what do you actually win by out Trumpkin-ing the other side?

What do I win?  What does the Republic win?  NOTHING.  WE ALL LOSE.  You're beginning to understand my point, whether you've realized it or not.

It's a race to the bottom, with two horrific truths: (1) we're not there yet, and (2) it doesn't matter who wins, we all lose.

Guest Lobo

So we're clear, we used to mock Presidents that were war heroes and legendary.  But it's classless to talk about a guy who sold frozen steaks on latenight TV.  Got it.  Wouldn't want to mess up this institution like Carter did with those damn cardigans.  

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Um, you mean "The World's Greatest Steaks", which are properly cooked well done with a side of ketchup.  

Fuck yeah they are, is there any other way to do eat these fantastic steaks?  Other than maybe with a super wine that is just fabulous?  Made the just the most incredible grapes. 

11 hours ago, Falling Down said:

I Watched How Sarah Sanders Privately Reacted After Being Attacked – This Is Her Real Character

Posted By Benny Johnson On 3:00 PM 04/30/2018 In | No Comments

print&sz=300x250|300x600&c=1525124332

I was in the room Saturday night when comedian Michelle Wolf began attacking White House press secretary Sarah Sanders.

Sanders was sitting just feet away from Wolf as she began to hurl insults and bully her. Sanders was called a “liar” by Wolf, had her looks compared to a fictional sex-cult leader and was told she was an “Uncle Tom,” but for “disappointing white women.”

Sanders sat through the insults unsmiling, often looking uncomfortable. I watched the reaction from the sea of journalists and DC influencers packed like sardines into the room at the Washington Hilton as Wolf began leveling her attacks. There was very little laughter. Even the faces of the most liberal reporters cringed during the comments. There was audible groaning. Wolf carried on, reading from her prepared remarks, which also clumsily attacked Kellyanne Conway and made light of aborting a fetus.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders is seen at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington, April 28, 2018. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein

As Wolf closed out her remarks it was clear to all present that the act bombed. Those in the room knew the backlash would be swift and the mood from Correspondents Association members and White House staff was grim at the parties that carried on throughout the evening.

At the MSNBC after-party, I spoke with high-ranking members of Sarah’s staff. They were disgusted by the remarks and told me that the plan was for Sanders to walk out of the dinner if the attacks got too personal. Sarah, however, stayed firm.

“I don’t know how she does it,” one of her closest confidants told me, “She kills them with kindness — she puts up with it. Good-hearted American people see that — and then [Sarah] wins.”

Members of the White House press corp tell me they had asked for Sanders’ home address after the ordeal in order to send her a large flower basket.

REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein

The MSNBC party was set outdoors. It was a cold and rainy night and the event was winding down. Then the unexpected happened. Sarah Sanders walks into the MSNBC party. MSNBC, an openly liberal network that often promotes the vitriol that just attacked her, was the last place you would expect to find Sanders that night. But there she was. And guess what? Sarah Sanders was smiling. She owned it. I asked her about the attack and she shrugged, cracked a smile and simply told me that the attacks didn’t bother her and that she’s praying for the comedian.

That is the kind of woman she is.

Sanders did not lash out publicly. She did not attack Michelle Wolf personally or professionally. She just forgave her and shrugged it off.

Since then, the White House Correspondents Association has apologized and disavowed Wolf, hundreds of reporters have critiqued the dinner and Sanders has been defended by high-ranking members of the administration and the president himself.

Flying into Washington, D.C. as a celebrity to cheap-shot a mother who works in the White House to her face in front of a room of one thousand journalists, simply because you disagree with her politically, is not brave.

It’s the definition of a coward and a bully.

Putting up with it and forgiving that person afterward?

That is real power.

Article printed fromThe Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/30/how-sarah-sanders-privately-reacted-correspondents-dinner/

That's weird.  I can't seem to find any articles from Benny Johnson rebuking Trump after he personally attacked numerous women, including going after and attempting to destroy the career of a mother like Megyn Kelly.  Surely they're out there and he's not just a hypocritical jackass that only gets mad when liberal women call out conservatives, right?

Poor Ann Dowd.  Wolf's joke about Aunt Lydia has every conservative shitting their pants that it was a joke about her bad looks, basically insulting Ann Dowd in the process. 

She clearly wasn't saying that SHS looks like Aunt Lydia.  Aunt Lydia was a character who betrayed other women by brainwashing them into believing the government's lies.  She helped keep women down and enslaved by the government.  That was the joke -- that she's a liar and a tool of the government used for evil. 

That joke hit the nail on the fucking head. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Poor Ann Dowd.  Wolf's joke about Aunt Lydia has every conservative shitting their pants that it was a joke about her bad looks, basically insulting Ann Dowd in the process. 

She clearly wasn't saying that SHS looks like Aunt Lydia.  Aunt Lydia was a character who betrayed other women by brainwashing them into believing the government's lies.  She helped keep women down and enslaved by the government.  That was the joke -- that she's a liar and a tool of the government used for evil. 

That joke hit the nail on the fucking head. 

Yeah, I think some of the outrage is conservatives being pissed that sanders was so savagely destroyed and not a single shred of it was about her appearance so they have nothing to fight back about. 

20 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Should not make fun of others looks.

i really like her looks.  i see none of that fakey shit women paste on them to disguise what they really look like.

this, here, is what i wish women would move toward, but attracting goofy men who want to be lied to appears to be too big a magnet.

i once saw a pic of a young adult marilyn with no makeup, and it was the first time in my life that i thought that woman truly beautiful.  crime she had to hide her true appearance.

edit:  found it.

0f9ec094f998c390fb671ecc4f92df92.jpg

Edited by yaqdum

4 hours ago, Tom said:

That's weird.  I can't seem to find any articles from Benny Johnson rebuking Trump after he personally attacked numerous women, including going after and attempting to destroy the career of a mother like Megyn Kelly.  Surely they're out there and he's not just a hypocritical jackass that only gets mad when liberal women call out conservatives, right?

Every accusation is a confession.  That phrase is applicable to all members of this personality cult.    

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Should not make fun of others looks.

She did not.  No faux outrage will change that. 

Oh wait, she did.  About herself.  She said she had fucked up hair and no tits.  That was the only negative commentary on a woman's appearance she made. 

Edited by deech
  • Like 1

I audibly gasped when Michelle compared SHS to Aunt Lydia. It's so perfect. The look on SHS's face during the whole bit was incredible. A mixture of anger, discomfort, and resignation, along with a little flicker of shame in her eyes, as the truth was finally said out loud about what she does every time she gets behind a microphone.

15 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

How did the posts surface? Why is there a coordinated troll/bot army operation pushing this shit on Twitter? 

It’s Hillary’s emails all over again.  

What does it matter how this stuff surfaced. What’s important is the damaging content.

The content of her posts were offensive and not inline with the current party politics, but they weren't at the time they were written.  I can assure you that many of the people within the democratic party still share those views.  Some democrats are still against gay marriage. There are also still racists in the democratic party too.   The idea that everyone in the party has to agree on every single issue when the party platform is constantly evolving is a recipe for disaster.  You can't have ideological purity coexist in a progressive platform a they are mutually exclusive concepts.

Joy Reid has the freedom of thought and we shouldn't be trying to take that away.  She should be allowed to make mistakes and evolve like everyone else.  However, the atmosphere created during the election was such that if anyone disagreed with any platform issue, they were labeled immoral and viciously attacked.  The attacks on Joy Reid are the result of that.

She was left with 2 choices:  Own her mistake or lie. 

Why do you think she chose to lie?

I don't believe she lied because she was worried about the attacks from conservatives and Republicans in general because so many of them would probably agree with her statements. She's used to being attacked by them.  Her real fear was the backlash from her own party that she knows wouldn't forgive that mistake.  That her career would be destroyed.  So she threw up a Daniel Figurelli hail mary and hoped that hacking claims would cause just enough doubt that she could escape the scandal's initial wave until the next story turned the public's attention elsewhere.

The real question we need to ask ourselves is if we want to live in this environment where everyone who doesn't 100% fit into the party platform is viewed as the enemy and attacked for it.  People need to be able to share ideas and different perspectives and have the war be over ideas, not personalities.

57 minutes ago, deech said:

She did not.  No faux outrage will change that. 

Oh wait, she did.  About herself.  She said she had fucked up hair and no tits.  That was the only negative commentary on a woman's appearance she made. 

yeah, that's kind of the funny thing. there is some serious projection onto her remarks.

yes, we all know that SHS has a hideous appearance. however, it wasn't her appearance under attack, it was her character, and in trying to defend her, conservative voices are decrying attacks that actually did not happen. it's almost as though there is some cognitive dissonance going on...

lol 8 pages on this. My criticism of Wolfe’s tack is she’s just preaching to the choir. For all of you crowing about how she stuck it to sanders, do you think she changed anyone’s opinion on anything? That’s what brilliant satire does. This was no “a modest proposal”. She didn’t shock anyone into awareness. She did take us further down the road of uncivil discourse. When they go low we go high right?

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

What is a comedian going to say that's going to convince Trump's remaining supporters of his unfitness for office?

I’m not talking about trump supporters. Believe it or not there is a whole world outside the cloakroom where people aren’t either foaming at the mouth anti-trump or all in for him

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

lol 8 pages on this. My criticism of Wolfe’s tack is she’s just preaching to the choir. For all of you crowing about how she stuck it to sanders, do you think she changed anyone’s opinion on anything? That’s what brilliant satire does. This was no “a modest proposal”. She didn’t shock anyone into awareness. She did take us further down the road of uncivil discourse. When they go low we go high right?

Yes, I think there's no question that's she's effected a change with respect to this event and the way the media interacts with the political class.  There's a pretty big debate going on right now between different media types over this.   Specifically between the glad-handing access seekers who think the media's goal should be to unite, and the journalists who think the media's goal should be to expose the truth on important issues. 

One thing she didn't affect is the one you say she did.  She stayed firmly within the part of the road of civil discourse that we've already gone down.   That even our president has already gone past. 

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yes, I think there's no question that's she's effected a change with respect to this event and the way the media interacts with the political class.  There's a pretty big debate going on right now between different media types over this.   Specifically between the glad-handing access seekers who think the media's goal should be to unite, and the journalists who think the media's goal should be to expose the truth on important issues. 

One thing she didn't affect is the one you say she did.  She stayed firmly within the part of the road of civil discourse that we've already gone down.   That even our president has already gone past. 

I didn’t say she deviated from the road of uncivil discourse. I said she hastened us down it. She absolutely stayed right in the middle of the path. That’s my point. But I guess if the president does it all his critics should as well

Edited by Sawbonz

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I didn’t say she deviated from the road of uncivil discourse. I said she hastened us down it. She absolutely stayed right in the middle of the path. That’s my point

And my point is that she didn't go further down the path.  Society and even the president has already been there and beyond in uncivil discourse. What exactly do you think she said that hasn't been said by more important people? 

Edited by Mojo Hand

I have never worked as a journalist, but I have served as editor of a couple of student newspapers.  Obviously, not the same thing, but if you think that journalists in general aren't among the most down-in-the-muck disgusting trash talkers then you are naive.  There isn't one thing she said in that bit that (a) was shocking to any journalist or (b) significantly worse than anything they had heard at that event in the past.

26 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Good decision-makers are all about data.  You cite "when they go low, we go high" -- what does the data tell us about the effectiveness of that approach?

In a world of folding chairs being smashed over your head in the ring, even after the bell, what responsible analyst would recommend starting the next round just like before, following the rules of boxing?

Here's a disturbing take from a quite respectable publication:

If you're in a street fight with a dirty cheating bastard, trying to throw clean punches and saying "not in the face!" sure seems silly.  A smart fighter who's read the situation picks up that 2X4 behind the dumpster and commences to beating the hell out of his opponent with it.

Again, we are ALL the worse for it.  But that's where we are.  Which is one of the biggest reasons I was sounding the alarm about Trump from the get-go.  If we go the "dirty back alley street fight" path...then that's what we end up with as political discourse.  We chose our path.  Now we get to breathe in the smell of puke and bum-piss, and watch your back for your opponent's buddy, who has a busted beer bottle.  YAY, MURICA!

• Like 1

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/more-appropriate-white-house-correspondents-association-dinner-jokes-for-2019:

Good evening, and welcome to the 2019 White House Correspondents’ Association dinner. After last year’s uproar, I’ve been instructed to use only dignified language and humor considered appropriate for our current cultural discourse.

Low-IQ crazy Kellyanne Conway is here tonight. Kellyanne came to Mar-a-Lago three nights in a row around New Year’s Eve, and insisted on joining me. She was bleeding badly from a face-lift. I said no!

Sarah Huckabee Sanders has also graced us with her presence. She gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem.

I see Fox News in the back, which is a failing pile of garbage and the enemy of the American people. I never watch Sean Hannity, who I once called “the dumbest man on television!”

A few members of the Trump cabinet showed up this year, such as Liddle Jeff Sessions, who lied to Congress under oath. He is an untruthful slimeball. And there’s Mike Pence, who is weak, both physically and mentally. Don’t threaten gay people, Mike!

I’m so glad to see the Trump family represented. Let’s see, there’s Crooked Don Jr., who embarrassed himself and the country with his email lies. I refuse to call Ivanka Trump a bimbo, because that is not politically correct. And let’s not forget Eric, who should be forced to take an IQ test. Not very bright.

As for the First Lady, I did try and fuck Melania. She was married. I moved on her like a bitch. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.

In closing, I will reserve my most civil words for the president himself, who has finally made an appearance at this dinner. Bad (or sick) guy!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, that's kind of the funny thing. there is some serious projection onto her remarks.

yes, we all know that SHS has a hideous appearance. however, it wasn't her appearance under attack, it was her character, and in trying to defend her, conservative voices are decrying attacks that actually did not happen. it's almost as though there is some cognitive dissonance going on...

heck you say.  i've said before that this is the story of exactly one-half of my family.  i've lived with this shit my whole life.

30 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I didn’t say she deviated from the road of uncivil discourse. I said she hastened us down it. She absolutely stayed right in the middle of the path. That’s my point. But I guess if the president does it all his critics should as well

You need to start wearing pearls (if you don't already) so that you can constantly clutch them when comedians say mean things. 

4 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Have you explained how the softball crack wasn't about her butch appearance?

I see you got the newsletter.  Do y'all ever think for yourself?

It wasn't a fucking lesbian joke.  Crimony. 

1 hour ago, Amobie said:

The content of her posts were offensive and not inline with the current party politics, but they weren't at the time they were written.  I can assure you that many of the people within the democratic party still share those views.  Some democrats are still against gay marriage. There are also still racists in the democratic party too.   The idea that everyone in the party has to agree on every single issue when the party platform is constantly evolving is a recipe for disaster.  You can't have ideological purity coexist in a progressive platform a they are mutually exclusive concepts.

Joy Reid has the freedom of thought and we shouldn't be trying to take that away.  She should be allowed to make mistakes and evolve like everyone else.  However, the atmosphere created during the election was such that if anyone disagreed with any platform issue, they were labeled immoral and viciously attacked.  The attacks on Joy Reid are the result of that.

She was left with 2 choices:  Own her mistake or lie. 

Why do you think she chose to lie?

I don't believe she lied because she was worried about the attacks from conservatives and Republicans in general because so many of them would probably agree with her statements. She's used to being attacked by them.  Her real fear was the backlash from her own party that she knows wouldn't forgive that mistake.  That her career would be destroyed.  So she threw up a Daniel Figurelli hail mary and hoped that hacking claims would cause just enough doubt that she could escape the scandal's initial wave until the next story turned the public's attention elsewhere.

The real question we need to ask ourselves is if we want to live in this environment where everyone who doesn't 100% fit into the party platform is viewed as the enemy and attacked for it.  People need to be able to share ideas and different perspectives and have the war be over ideas, not personalities.

Or, it could be much simpler in that maybe she lied because she is an awful person.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

9 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Have you explained how the softball crack wasn't about her butch appearance?

I thought it was a crack at how she forces reporters to play little games.  Like when she made everyone say what they were thankful for before they could ask a question.  

I think some of these outraged takes say more about the person who is making these offensive interpretations. 

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You need to start wearing pearls (if you don't already) so that you can constantly clutch them when comedians say mean things. 

Where did I mention my being offended?  My comments were about the persuasiveness of her approach. It was meat for the base. In that sense it worked reading the comments here. Hell look at brisket he’s ready to hit people with chairs. Well done

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Where did I mention my being offended?  My comments were about the persuasiveness of her approach. It was meat for the base. In that sense it worked reading the comments here. Hell look at brisket he’s ready to hit people with chairs. Well done

So...you DIDN'T read my reply.  Like, at all.

What I warned against from the very beginning, with wildly waving arms, is coming to pass.  If we the people reward pure chickenshittery and vile personal attacks, then that's what we'll get more of -- a lot more of.

And here we are.  Getting EXACTLY what we asked for.

How am I happy about that, or celebrating that?  That's the exact OPPOSITE of my position.

You've really committed to your concern-troll role.  You are quite a bit more upset about how folks respond to Trump than you are with Trump's behavior, even though a jillion of us warned that is EXACTLY what we are inviting when we reward Trump's behavior by electing him.  You tell us that his behavior is no big deal -- you are wrong.  See the climate and tone that we are living in now.  It was inevitable, and utterly predictable, once we committed to the Trumpian path.  Which is, you know, one of the big reasons a lot of us said we shouldn't go down that path.

Where have I ever said trumps behavior is no big deal you lunatic? Trumps behavior is reprehensible. No qualifications. That doesn’t mean one can’t be critical of anything else. You are a zealot. And that’s ok be a zealot. But fuck you for trying to paint anyone not a zealot as all in for the other side. 

And I never said you were happy about any of this. I said you were ready. And you are. You would absolutely resort to physical violence against a trumpkin face to face, and you would feel justified. It drips from your rhetoric. Hell the vitriol you spew at people who repeat over and over they hate trump is proof of that

seek help

Edited by Sawbonz

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You've been posting long enough to know that Brisketwas an outspoken conservative poster for over a decade now. Lumping Brisket in with the democratic base is cognitive dissonance on your part. I like you sawbonz, but you are seeing what you want to see there. His political views have changed some, but far less than the GOP has. He didn't leave the GOP, the GOP left him. 

The dinner is a case of people confusing the means and the end.  The objective of the meeting is to foster better relations between the White House and the press corps.  Jokes are a means of having a good timer and improving relations.  Jokes are the means to an end, not the end.

I am reminded of speeches at a wedding reception where the best man gets carried away in his speech telling "funny" stories about the groom.  His frat brothers think it's hilarious. The bride's mom is pissed.  Or the softball game designed to improve relations between the police and the fire department, which ends in fights, players trying to injure the opponent and mass cheating.  People lose sight of the objective.

The objective of the dinner has changed.  It is no longer designed to improve relations between the White House and the press corps.  The hosts don't know how to run the thing.  They've lost sight of their purpose and created a new purpose - create entertainment for the liberal press corps.  I think the White House should, and will, opt out.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Not a wedding reception.  Not even close.

I agree.  It's now about "confronting power".  It's no longer about improving relations between the White House and the press corps.  There is absolutely no reason for the White House to attend.  The objective has changed.