Well, Shiny Cat has weeks to live....

I'm really sorry, Brisket. I've been through this with four cats. It's much better to let them go in a humane, controlled way than to wait too long and have them go in a traumatic way. Do you have a vet that can do it at your home? We had the best vet who would come out on short notice and we felt much better about the whole thing that way. As in still truly sad, but also relieved. You've given Shiny Cat a lot of care and a good long life, and a loving end is the best, last gift you all can give him. 

• Fuck You 1

While it sucked holy hell and I cried like that OU kid, being there when the mobile vet came out to put down our dog was a profound moment that I am glad I was there for.  Let the boy experience it and cry his tears.  We owe it to our four-legged friends to see them off with us nearby if at all possible.  I will never do it at the vet's office , and I am pretty sure there are services that will specifically handle the end of life stuff.  Come to your house, do the deed, take the animal away and give you back ashes/keepsake box/paw print cast thing.

Sorry about shiny cat.  I am a total sucker for orange tabbies.  Had one as a kid and grew up with him as well.  RIP Butch!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The boy always wanted a cat, and got Shiny Cat when he was in kindergarten.  He's now a senior.  And Shiny is now at the end of his life.  He's suffered from congestive heart failure, and has now suffered two episodes that saw him go into the emergency vet to get a massive lasix treatment and oxygen.  The first one was a year and a half ago, when they told us that a cat with this condition probably had one to 1.5 years left.  The second one was a few weeks ago.

We finally had the follow up scan with the cardiologist, and she let us know that we're in the end-game, and we're talking a few weeks.  The disease has progressed.  He's now showing a clot in his heart.  And he could have another episode -- painful, distressing, and likely fatal at this point -- soon.

So, tonight, we'll have a talk with the boy.  He's going to be absolutely crushed and heartbroken, but then, he was always going to be.  But now, the choice is to keep the cat going another few weeks...a month, maybe?....or to pick a time soon, probably in a couple of weeks, to take him in, and be holding him to say goodbye.  This conversation is going to suck.  This ending is going to suck.  This sort of ending always sucks.  They always do.

So.  Shit.

I'm sorry for you guys.  It's not easy.  We had to put down our eldest dog last year.  He and our then eleven year old were the closest.  The talk was tough, but he understood.  As our vet said, and I agree, "I'd rather do it a week early than a minute too late."  We took the day off and gave our friend one more great day for the books.  You and your family are being great friends to Shiny Cat by making the tough decisions.  Again, I'm sorry.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 12:54 PM, Brisketexan said:

The boy always wanted a cat, and got Shiny Cat when he was in kindergarten.  He's now a senior.  And Shiny is now at the end of his life.  He's suffered from congestive heart failure, and has now suffered two episodes that saw him go into the emergency vet to get a massive lasix treatment and oxygen.  The first one was a year and a half ago, when they told us that a cat with this condition probably had one to 1.5 years left.  The second one was a few weeks ago.

We finally had the follow up scan with the cardiologist, and she let us know that we're in the end-game, and we're talking a few weeks.  The disease has progressed.  He's now showing a clot in his heart.  And he could have another episode -- painful, distressing, and likely fatal at this point -- soon.

So, tonight, we'll have a talk with the boy.  He's going to be absolutely crushed and heartbroken, but then, he was always going to be.  But now, the choice is to keep the cat going another few weeks...a month, maybe?....or to pick a time soon, probably in a couple of weeks, to take him in, and be holding him to say goodbye.  This conversation is going to suck.  This ending is going to suck.  This sort of ending always sucks.  They always do.

So.  Shit.

Be there with your pet. Do not let him die alone. My dog died alone at the vet a couple weeks ago. Still haven't forgiven myself. 

Be there. 

• Like 1

And Shiny is now at the end of his life.  He's suffered from congestive heart failure, and has now suffered two episodes that saw him go into the emergency vet to get a massive lasix treatment and oxygen.  The first one was a year and a half ago, when they told us that a cat with this condition probably had one to 1.5 years left.  The second one was a few weeks ago.

Defeated
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2021 at 12:54 PM, Brisketexan said:

So.  Shit.

We had to put down our 16 year-old kitty last week. It was the right thing to do for him - hell I wish I could have extended the same gift to some human loved ones who long suffered - but it doesn’t take away the pain and sorrow for you and the fam. Life is loss, among other things. And it can be excruciating.

Peace and comfort to the Briskets and hope for a better place for Shiny Cat.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, BearSchlong said:

Now's a good time to tell the boy that on average we get 5-8 furry friends in a lifetime.  It's not ideal, it is what it is.

Just be glad it's not a parrot, I heard those can live for 130 years.

An acquaintance in Las Vegas ain’t going to outlive his bird... and the cat won’t either if he keeps up harassing it.

B1E39A0A-DBC9-4E3E-9318-C6FBB2BCC35B.jpeg

My dad's parrot (yellow headed amazon), Simone, is older than my brother (40yo).  She will likely outlive my dad, then the question is who in the family will take her, as she talks up a storm and loves to go "wee wee wee wee wee wee wee!" at the top of her lungs sometimes.  Weird to know that animal has been a part of my entire life up to this point.

• Like 2

my husband hates cats, so the only one we ever had was the one i got as a freshman in college that was part of the 'package' that came with me :)

she was super friendly and lovable, couldn't wait for people to sit so she could have a lap. how many cats you know that allow you to hold them like a baby, on their back so you can rub their belly?? she did. 

she lived to be 18...she had renal failure which is pretty common and also terrible to watch. i ended up being out of town when my husband had to take her to the vet the final time...i talked to the vet on the phone and gave the okay. i wish i had been there...husband swears he pet her and loved on her until the end. i choose to believe him. 

oh my god that broke my heart...she was the first pet i ever had on my own. dammit...that was over 15 years ago and it's still dusty in here.

husband is quite a bit older than me...i tell him now that i'm stopping at the humane society to get another cat on the way home from the funeral parlor 😄 

good luck to you and your boy, Brisket. 

• Haha 1

Finally had a window to tell the boy tonight.  Goddamn that was hard, but his approach made me proud.  He deserves to go in his own home, at peace and not in pain, with his boy holding him, and that's the way the boy wants it to be.  I'd say he took it "well" -- but I know it's tearing him up, too.  But he said "we knew this was going to happen the day we took him home from the shelter, so we need to do right by him."

We're going to do it at the end of spring break, so the boy can have a full spring break week with him.  That's three weeks.  He should be able to hold out that long.  We know there's some risk in it, but it just seemed like the right timing.

Still.  As so many of you know, this sort of thing just sucks.

EDIT: and also, he wants to be the one to tell his sister.  She's 1700 miles away, can't come home for this, and will be heartbroken as well.  And he's very protective and concerned about her.  He's had a rough last year and a half, but dammit, he's a good man.  I just want him to catch a break.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

An acquaintance in Las Vegas ain’t going to outlive his bird... and the cat won’t either if he keeps up harassing it.

B1E39A0A-DBC9-4E3E-9318-C6FBB2BCC35B.jpeg

I had no idea parrots lived that long.  I really wanted one when I was a kid.  I got a parakeet instead.  I thought it was because my parents were cheap, turns out they didn’t want to take on something that would outlive them.  The parakeet lasted 3 years before he escaped his cage and met his maker in the form of the ceiling fan.   RIP little buddy, and may Shiny cat have a good last few weeks.  I’ve had to give a pet a compassionate exit from this earth twice, and it sucks beyond words.  Both times they gave me a look that let me know that I made the right choice.

Edited by conVINCEd
I mangled my thumb yesterday and typing is hard right now

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

she lived to be 18...she had renal failure which is pretty common and also terrible to watch. i ended up being out of town when my husband had to take her to the vet the final time...i talked to the vet on the phone and gave the okay. i wish i had been there...husband swears he pet her and loved on her until the end. i choose to believe him. 

My God, this mirrors my experience.  That cat was part of the package with my wife, and while he wasn’t always my fave, I held him to the very end. Dusty indeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1