UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

Beards unemployed now.

What makes everyone so sure the charges will be dropped?

Sorry if I missed this earlier.

The only witness is hostile and has provided written testimony through her attorney that what was written in the arrest charges was false and that she doesn’t want to press charges. 

District attorneys are notorious for not wanting to move forward with cases they don’t think they can win. If you have one witness and they don’t want to cooperate, you don’t have much of a case. Legally they can still move forward with it, but practically speaking the chances of it are close to nil. 

I’m going on the assumption it won’t make it to a jury trial, but even if it does, it will be tough to get a jury to convict him, simply based on her written testimony. But the likelihood we see Beard in front of a jury is just laughably small. 

It usually takes a while for this to wind through the justice system, though. “You may not do the time, but you’ll do the ride.” 

Even I believe his career is in limbo until the legal process reaches its conclusion. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

the day that kentucky is morally above hiring chris beard is the day kentucky stops being kentucky. 

I don't have an issue if Beard is hired, just don't think the AD will.   Cal is there because others got involved and the one driving force behind that is no longer alive. 

20 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

nice try. I am talking about posts on several different topics that you never responded to other than an emoji.

i don't recall ever responding to you with an emoji, and i have zero clue what you're talking about. well, other than your usual inane rambling.

also, there's only so many ways/times one can respond to, "i played basketball 70 years ago therefore i know everything and all of you are stupid."

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't recall ever responding to you with an emoji, and i have zero clue what you're talking about. well, other than your usual inane rambling.

also, there's only so many ways/times one can respond to, "i played basketball 70 years ago therefore i know everything and all of you are stupid."

All you do is respond with an emoji because that's all you're capable of doing and I am several years younger than your dad.

• Fuck You 3

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Have to at least make an attempt to hire Jay Wright...  right???  😋

I mean, there's the home run right there. Augie was 58 when he took the job. Jay Wright would be 61. I don't know how long golden handcuffs would tie him to the job, but I wouldn't care.

There are certain names that feel like a hail mary that you have to at least give your best shot towards. Both Wright and Donovan fit that category for me. I don't consider either of them realistic options, but they've both been multiple title winners not currently married to a collegiate job. 

It mostly feels like a forlorn hope. My most realistic expectation right now is Tommy Lloyd. As a fan I'd love to have the opportunity to roll the dice with him as the head coach. Not sure if he leaves Arizona, but I've been told we're ready right now to pay $6m per year for the right person. That's a lot of cheese. That's before we even enter negotiations with someone and find out it's going to take more cheddar. But a lot of the alternatives either have huge buyouts, or like Musselman, deep pocketed backers with a program and fanbase who are more intense about winning at basketball than Texas is.  

But Jay Wright would be the dream. 

• Hook 'Em 2

i was convinced that we would not be able to get beard- convinced. and then we got him. if cdc gets lightning to strike twice then just name the university after him. 

min all seriousness though, the fact that cdc actually went for and got beard means i have supreme faith in cdc to identify and hire the absolute best possible candidate. it's now just a matter of who that is, and what cdc can do to persuade the top flight guys to stop what they're doing and come here for the next 5+ years. 

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Was a conference championship the only requirement for terry to get the perm position? I’m not aware of that. 

Are you just being argumentative for the hell of it?

No, I didn't put "conference championship is a must" on my memo to CDC and Hartzell.  I'm pretty sure it would make passing RT over more difficult should we win the conference, though.