UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

7 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Who said we are not happy to be winning? We are discussing if he should be our next coach, and most people believe that we should aim higher. We still have a tough stretch of games left, so we will see if we can keep winning at the same rate. Also, winning this year may not mean winning next year when all the veteran guys are gone. That's why we are discussing if he can develop young players. 

I didn't see "If". I see "These guys haven't gotten better in the 2 months he's been coaching. He can't develop players and shouldn't be the coach."

I'm not saying he should be the coach. I'm saying the narrative of failed player development in the two months of winning ball after the head coach decided he would like to leave, is bullshit.

Edited by Slacks
Swype n shit

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

I didn't see "If". I see "These guys haven't gotten better in the 2 months he's been coaching. He can't develop players and shouldn't be the coach."

I'm not saying he should be the coach. I'm saying the narrative of failed player development in the two months of winning ball after the head coach decided he would like to leave, is bullshit.

Real life is non-binary and most people are capable of processing complex information while making a decision. 

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

when shaka was shoved out, how many assistant coaches did we want to hire? how many assistants did CDC interview for the position? zero and zero? right.

so, now that we're replacing an actual elite cbb coach, why do so many suddenly think we're going to hire a guy who started this season as an assistant? is RT the best assistant coach in America? is he an up and coming wunderkind? no? then why does anyone here think that CDC is even entertaining the idea of hiring Terry barring a final four/national title run? i just don't get it at all, how so many people here can think so lowly of CDC to think that he's just sitting there waiting to see how far we go in the tour ey before he figures out if RT is right for the job or not. 

Well, technically Royal Ivey was an assistant coach, and they did talk to him. I feel like it was a courtesy as much as anything else, but they still talked to him. I don't think it came down to a job interview or anything. Beard was always the #1 guy. Your point is still valid as far as I'm concerned. 

Idk when I watch the games it doesn’t really appear like we run a bunch of plays for Mitchell to score the basketball. Seems to me like he is out there to play defense, play in transition, and be athletic. And I’m not sure I’d agree he has regressed. 

Also it seems to me some of you would balk at a FF appearance if it meant years of uncertainty with a coach you felt deserved this job instead of Terry getting the interim tag removed. Which is an insane thought IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Idk when I watch the games it doesn’t really appear like we run a bunch of plays for Mitchell to score the basketball. Seems to me like he is out there to play defense, play in transition, and be athletic. And I’m not sure I’d agree he has regressed. 

Also it seems to me some of you would balk at a FF appearance if it meant years of uncertainty with a coach you felt deserved this job instead of Terry getting the interim tag removed. Which is an insane thought IMO.

We've had two Final Four runs. One in 1947, and then TJ Ford's sophomore season. Fuck anyone who would give up a Final Four season - in Houston's Reliant, mind you - for the uncertainty of going after someone who may or may not work out.

Frank Martin made one tournament in 10 years for South Carolina. It was a Final Four, right in the middle of his tenure. He got 5 years after making it. That seems fair to me. 

We've only had 3 Elite Eight runs in the 40 years since the 64 team set up. 3. And it's not like we have a slew of Sweet Sixteens. My problem with a Sweet Sixteen run is I'd prefer to take a chance on someone who can regularly get us there, and I do not believe Terry is it. But anything beyond that I feel like he should get the job. Doesn't mean I think he'll do well. I don't. But the tournament is really hard. As Derka says, it may be the hardest event in sports. It's how coaches are measured. If this team does really well in this year's tournament, he's earned the job as far as I'm concerned. That's not the same as saying I think he'll be a good coach. I don't. But I do feel like he'll have earned the job as far as I'm concerned. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Seth Davis thinks the UNT coach McCasland would be a good hire since guys like Musselman and Cronin are unlikely to leave their current posts. Won the Conference USA in 2 of the last 3 years including an NCAA tourney win - as many as Texas has had in like a dozen years. 

The Dave Campbell Basketball podcast guys mentioned him right after Beard was suspended.

He may be an amazing coach, but that's not a name that's going to get anyone's pulse racing. If we're willing to pay $6m per year for a new basketball coach and the best we can do is McCasland - without casting any aspersions on him as a coach - I'm going to be very disappointed in the hiring process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think that’s the problem and why I’m resigned to the fact that we are keeping Terry—there just isn’t anyone I can see leaving their current job who has it good where they are.

Mike White?

Vic Schaefer?

Chris Beard?

Howard Joffe?

Texas is its own beast and some coaches relish what we can offer (facilities, NIL, etc) compared to where they are. Even if they appear happy and successful there

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Mike White?

Vic Schaefer?

Chris Beard?

Howard Joffe?

Texas is its own beast and some coaches relish what we can offer (facilities, NIL, etc) compared to where they are. Even if they appear happy and successful there

Yeah, we are selling ourselves short if we think we have no chance with any of the elite coaches. Media guys know shit and they tend to have a hard on for Cinderella stories. Every game we play, they are going to bring up why Texas should hire Terry because we can't do any better. Even if we are bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, they will make excuses like how good a job Terry did by keeping this team from imploding, so the tourney results don't matter. Some fans will eat it up unfortunately. I am just going to try to enjoy this season and let CDC do this thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Seth Davis thinks the UNT coach McCasland would be a good hire since guys like Musselman and Cronin are unlikely to leave their current posts. Won the Conference USA in 2 of the last 3 years including an NCAA tourney win - as many as Texas has had in like a dozen years. 

If you and Seth Davis want him, then it’s probably best we look elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A big consideration for me is the assistant coaching staff. Right now I think we have one of the best in the country. I think there is a good chance that they all stay if we keep Terry. I can’t see many wanting to follow Beard to his next gig given the way things ended here.  

People talk about our experienced team and it being “player led”, but I think a lot of our success is because of the work of the assistants. That includes the high school recruiting and transfer portal. Beard obviously guided the ship, but a TON of the heavy work has been done by these guys.  Terry never had a staff like this at UTEP or Fresno.

I’m still not saying we should hire him. But more that his current results may be a better indication of his future than what he did with less resources.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

I think that’s the problem and why I’m resigned to the fact that we are keeping Terry—there just isn’t anyone I can see leaving their current job who has it good where they are. The only person I thought we could grab was Oats. 

i never ever thought we would get beard once tech renewed him and upped his buyout, but CDC made that happen. i'm keeping the faith.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, HookEm said:

A big consideration for me is the assistant coaching staff. Right now I think we have one of the best in the country. I think there is a good chance that they all stay if we keep Terry. I can’t see many wanting to follow Beard to his next gig given the way things ended here.  

People talk about our experienced team and it being “player led”, but I think a lot of our success is because of the work of the assistants. That includes the high school recruiting and transfer portal. Beard obviously guided the ship, but a TON of the heavy work has been done by these guys.  Terry never had a staff like this at UTEP or Fresno.

I’m still not saying we should hire him. But more that his current results may be a better indication of his future than what he did with less resources.

we've had a ton of turnover on our assistant staff in such a short time under beard. it's impossible for me to know what kind of impact these guys are having in our players and team. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Mike White?

Vic Schaefer?

Chris Beard?

Howard Joffe?

How many hires has Del Conte made? 

Mike White (huge hire)

Vic Schaefer (huge hire)

Chris Beard (huge hire)

Edrick Floreal (huge hire)

Bruce Berque (Not a huge hire but was hired after winning a national title as the interim coach)

Steve Sarkisan (Not a huge hire but it's also debatable this was actually a coach hired by Del Conte)

I'm not sure why people keep assuming Texas can't make a big hire when the evidence is out there that with Del Conte it's the complete opposite. 

• Hook 'Em 7

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

How many hires has Del Conte made? 

Mike White (huge hire)

Vic Schaefer (huge hire)

Chris Beard (huge hire)

Edrick Floreal (huge hire)

Bruce Berque (Not a huge hire but was hired after winning a national title as the interim coach)

Steve Sarkisan (Not a huge hire but it's also debatable this was actually a coach hired by Del Conte)

I'm not sure why people keep assuming Texas can't make a big hire when the evidence is out there that with Del Conte it's the complete opposite. 

And one thing Berque had over Terry is major program experience, as he was HC at Michigan 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So we're ignoring the 'adjusted" part of the metric?

Don’t most adjusted stats require a decent amount of data and become more accurate as the season progresses and data accumulates?  

don’t know if you can use current data and look at a moment in time like the beard suspension and see if that looks the same, better, or worse than it did in real time. 

20 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

McCasland can coach, some similarities to Beard. Won at every level, defensive reputation. But yeah, Texas will likely have its eye on a larger prize.

I agree with you (and most others) that Texas needs to land someone with P5 career success, but McCasland doesn't seem like the worst consolation prize. I'd risk five years of him over RT.

Screenshot2023-02-20at16_48_39.thumb.png.c77e43426db8e1a7fa5ce98e90918516.png

Playing tough defense leads to tired legs, which in turn may lead to more missed shots on offense. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that we were playing better on offense. While I don't necessarily agree with that assertion, if that indeed is the case, it's probably because we are not playing as hard on defense. 

McCasland’s favorite movie might be Hoosiers because his offense appears to have come from that era. Guess you can’t argue with the wins but they have averaged under 70 points a game in 4 of his 6 years at North Texas (for reference Beard never averaged under 72 any year at Tech). His style is kinda like Joe Golding but with more success.

I guess we could do worse but he’d be pretty far down my list. Also, how is North Texas allowing 57 points a game yet their KenPom adjD rank is 44th?

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2