UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

10 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Playing tough defense leads to tired legs, which in turn may lead to more missed shots on offense. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that we were playing better on offense. While I don't necessarily agree with that assertion, if that indeed is the case, it's probably because we are not playing as hard on defense. 

image.jpeg.54adfef16987bcac02b0481193046b14.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I don’t know. But I mean 32nd in the country is not exactly “we don’t play any defense any more”

That's an adjusted average (Beard's stellar numbers are still in there). It's lower, but still not terrible, still RT took over.

Edited by MuellerHorn

On 2/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, Hookem2147 said:

If you and Seth Davis want him, then it’s probably best we look elsewhere.

Seth Davis is an idiot.  I concluded this after years of his stupid shit on CBS and I also have an Athletic account and he is only getting worse.  He lacks analytical and critical thinking skills.  He is incapable of original thought or genuine insight.   Everything about him screams, "facile" and "my father is really smart and influential and the only reason I got into Duke."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

also, i came here to post this: my sleeper pick is tony bennett.  that's the kind of splash hire i expect out of cdc.

This also feels like the kind of hire CDC gets. Not the hot name (Oats, Muss), proven winner, young but established (53), only at about $4 million salary 

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, VinyVango said:

In the midst of a pretty easy pre-conference schedule… so attempting to extrapolate data to a coaching change ignores other important variables

For fuck's sake, One Ear... consider the various duties of a coaching staff.  Rodney Terry has demonstrated an inability to have us ready for the start of games; to his credit, he made good halftime adjustments.  The adjustments are a hallmark of a top-flight assistant coach; the other is what a great head coach does, get his team ready to play BEFORE the game begins.  Beard had our guys ready to go - if not breathing fire - every game;  Terry's halftime prowess seems to be fading.  Beard created a team that was a terror on defense and the boards.  Under Terry, we have abandoned defensive intensity and attacking the boards, opting instead to take a team of somewhat offensive challenged players and depending upon them to score like Jerry Tark's Runnin' Rebs.  
I hope our experienced players are able to overcome all of this and take us to the Final Four.  
And if they do, Hook 'Em Horns, Baby!

And I still wouldn't make Terry our permanent head coach.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, shadow_operative said:

it would be hilarious if we hired buzz williams and then won a bunch of titles. anyone here have an in with the basketball gods?

Lol I was thinking about this the other day. If Buzz left for Texas (I don’t think he’s getting fired) and then succeeded here. This board would explode if we hired Buzz.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Think we can safely cross Nate Oats off the list.

season 7 walon smithers GIF

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

I find Bennett's style boring but you can't argue with his results

i generally agree, though i found his team that won the title more watchable than his typical team so maybe more access to nba lottery picks (deandre hunter) at a place like texas would increase the "fun" factor in his style.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

And we should be hiring the best coach possible for the job regardless of if you find his offense boring or not. 

Does he win? Then shut the fuck up. 

Yep. If you’ll poo-poo a 53 year old with a national championship, a .736 winning %, 5 ACC regular season titles and 2 ACC tournament titles, you crazy. 

On 2/20/2023 at 6:14 PM, BigOrange1 said:

also, i came here to post this: my sleeper pick is tony bennett.  that's the kind of splash hire i expect out of cdc.

Anthony Guy Bennett (born June 1, 1969) is an American former professional basketball player and since 2009 the head coach of the University of Virginia men's team, with whom he won the NCAA Championship in 2019.[3] Bennett is a three-time recipient of the Henry Iba Award, two-time Naismith College Coach of the Year, and two-time AP Coach of the Year. Bennett is the all-time wins leader at Virginia, and holds or shares records for single-season wins and career winning percentage at both Virginia and Washington State. He is one of three coaches in history (with Dean Smith and Mike Krzyzewski) to lead his program to ten or more consecutive winning ACC records[a][4][5] and is one of three coaches (also with Smith and Krzyzewski) to be named ACC Coach of the Year four or more times.[6]   

jb3.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are there any semi-good NBA names with college experience that could be interesting (besides Stevens and Billy Donovan)?

Quin Snyder is available!

No. I'm not an advocate. That guy looks like he's been ridden hard and put up wet. Cocaine is a helluva drug. 

13 hours ago, Pancho said:

Unless you know something we don’t, i wouldn’t say he probably will be the guy. 

Surprisingly, the ACC has turned into a dying basketball conference (even with Duke and UNC). 

Virginia is 21-5 and #34 in Kenpom because the conference sucks. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Bennett was looking to bounce. 

54 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

That’s a pretty low bar for a projected 2 seed. 

This is something that I think gets overlooked far too often.  While seeds aren't predictions, they are typically reasonable estimates of where a team lies in the tournmanet landscape.  It seems silly to point it out, but:

1 seed -- Final Four

2 seed -- Elite Eight

3 seed -- Sweet Sixteen

and so on.  Beyond that, a team that is overseeded is being done a favor by the committee.

Barring a collapse in the next few games, I expect the 'horns to be a 3 seed or better.  Rewarding RT for making the Sweet Sixteen seems like rewarding my teenage son for not robbing a 7-11.  I mean, it's kind of the expectation.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is something that I think gets overlooked far too often.  While seeds aren't predictions, they are typically reasonable estimates of where a team lies in the tournmanet landscape.  It seems silly to point it out, but:

1 seed -- Final Four

2 seed -- Elite Eight

3 seed -- Sweet Sixteen

and so on.  Beyond that, a team that is overseeded is being done a favor by the committee.

Barring a collapse in the next few games, I expect the 'horns to be a 3 seed or better.  Rewarding RT for making the Sweet Sixteen seems like rewarding my teenage son for not robbing a 7-11.  I mean, it's kind of the expectation.

Just curious, what would your reward be should he not rob a 7-11?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

1 seed -- Final Four

2 seed -- Elite Eight

3 seed -- Sweet Sixteen

Yeah… about that. 

29 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I have a good colleague from UVa who knows Coach Bennett well. He is emphatic that Bennett's rep as a good guy is well-deserved. Might be a relevant factor if CDC is interested in hiring a "character" guy in addition to a proven winner. 

We went from a nice guy to an asshole. So makes sense we bounce back it a nice guy. 

I mean, Strong -> Herman -> Sark was similar in terms of personality swings between hires