UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

6 hours ago, cafe society said:

Is it wrong that I was kind of hoping you were talking about Randy Bennett?

Half the team would be future members of the Australian National Team. He’s a really good coach. I have enjoyed watching his St. Mary’s teams over the years, especially in the games against the Zags.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Pancho said:

Quin Snyder 

Feels like Gerry, in his latest, is preparing us for Terry as the HC if we make the S16.

Gerry is as pessimistic as you about Texas finding a reason to hire Terry for the full time role. No one else is thinking the bar is that low. And remember, Del Conte loves a big time coaching search. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry is as pessimistic as you about Texas finding a reason to hire Terry for the full time role. No one else is thinking the bar is that low. And remember, Del Conte loves a big time coaching search. 

I hope you're right. Terry isn't it.

Edited by MuellerHorn

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Gonna be interesting watching CDC maneuver around to hire the next Men's Head Basketball Coach for Texas.

Dickie V's comment during today's game that Texas needs to remove the interim tag is such LAZY BULLSHIT. 

CDC must go Big Game Hunting for Beard's replacement!!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I'm wondering why Tony Bennett would leave Charlottesville.

I have no inside knowledge and don't know enough about his buyout but my bet is Bennett is the leader in the clubhouse. Bennett is a proven winner and is still relatively young. 

I think a move also makes sense. The ACC is a struggling basketball conference, Virginia is being left in the dust with NIL, and things seem to be getting stale at Virginia. Bennett needs a fresh start and at a school/conference that's prioritizing the right things. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

38 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I have no inside knowledge and don't know enough about his buyout but my bet is Bennett is the leader in the clubhouse. Bennett is a proven winner and is still relatively young. 

I think a move also makes sense. The ACC is a struggling basketball conference, Virginia is being left in the dust with NIL, and things seem to be getting stale at Virginia. Bennett needs a fresh start and at a school/conference that's prioritizing the right things. 

This. I will never understand the “why would Coach XYZ leave to come to Texas?” posts.  Unless it’s a Self or Saban type.

Moody Center and brand new practice facility (and facilities in general)

$$$ (salary and assistant pool money)

Natural recruiting base (don’t tell me coaches wouldn’t love to have DFW and Houston in their backyard to recruit from)

Great boss

NIL machine

FFS, if you can win a couple NCCA game in a 6 year period and not choke your fiancée/girlfriend, we’ll probably keep you for a decade and a half 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Rick Barnes out as Texas head coach - SBNation.com

I just have such clear memories of 2002-2008. The basketball program brought me such joy. Not that there weren’t frustrations, because there were, but the level of satisfaction and fulfillment I had as a fan was off the charts. I honestly thought that’s what Texas basketball was going to be like until either I died or Barnes finally stepped down. 7 years of gloriousness. 

Then I believed Beard was about to eclipse that with a bullet. I still think he will...just somewhere else. 

It’s definitely depressing. I’m excited for the next guy, and seeing what he can do. I’m hopeful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just have such clear memories of 2002-2008. The basketball program brought me such joy. Not that there weren’t frustrations, because there were, but the level of satisfaction and fulfillment I had as a fan was off the charts. I honestly thought that’s what Texas basketball was going to be like until either I died or Barnes finally stepped down. 7 years of gloriousness. 
Then I believed Beard was about to eclipse that with a bullet. I still think he will...just somewhere else. 
It’s definitely depressing. I’m excited for the next guy, and seeing what he can do. I’m hopeful. 

Beard obviously has an incurable flaw of self destruction. He’s not gonna just wake up one day and say “oh, wait, kick that crazy bitch to the curb and I’m all good?”

He’s Billy Clyde with a different vice
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Beard obviously has an incurable flaw of self destruction. He’s not gonna just wake up one day and say “oh, wait, kick that crazy bitch to the curb and I’m all good?”

He’s Billy Clyde with a different vice

Maybe. I hope so.

Edit: Only to the extent he's not successful. I'm not hoping for the complete ruination of the man's life. Just the ruination of his career as a head coach. That's all. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would bet a good amount of money the guy has a problem with alcohol. 

I mean, I've bee known to drink a beer or eight, and when I look in the mirror after a bad night my nose looks a lot like his.  I've been able to dial it back, but I still know what it looks like.  It took one of my kids telling me to cut it out for me to cut it out.  He doesn't have that luxury, he has an interior "decorator" and $5M annual to keep the tap flowing.  I don't see him climbing out of this any time soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

if we are to take him at his word and he did indeed abstain from alcohol for the duration of his first season here, then i don't doubt his ability to get his shit together, at least for some extended period of time. anyone as driven as he is, who is able to do something like that without any issues should be able to take this giant, in-your-face, come to jesus moment and start making some changes. he's not a normal guy, he's a super high achiever for a reason. i don't see him as being a hopeless drunk, i see him as being an extremely driven and successful frat bro who flew too close to sun without realizing the potential consequences. i think he gets his shit together and is a total success story somewhere other than his alma mater.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

Even without the extension Oats had taken himself off the table. No way you can hire a guy who's possibly lying to cover up his star player's involvement in a murder, or at best is completely asleep at the wheel and playing a player accused in law enforcement testimony of intentionally providing the loaded firearm for a murder. What a piece of shit that guy is, he looks worse than Beard right now. 

This coaching search is going to suck. I have to admit this whole thing has ruined my interest in this season. I see Terry fucking up this team and losing big games and I just can't enjoy any of this. This just looks like a defeated 1 win max and done March  team right now. 

• Hook 'Em 3

even without seeing the bracket i'll call my sweet 16 shot right now. this team came together for one express purpose: to win this year's national title. while i no longer see that as a realistic possibility, barring injury from here til the tourney i say pencil us in for the second weekend, and get ready to watch us play for a trip to the elite 8. too much talent, seniority, and experience for this team not yo make it at least that far. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

even without seeing the bracket i'll call my sweet 16 shot right now. this team came together for one express purpose: to win this year's national title. while i no longer see that as a realistic possibility, barring injury from here til the tourney i say pencil us in for the second weekend, and get ready to watch us play for a trip to the elite 8. too much talent, seniority, and experience for this team not yo make it at least that far. 

Sure hope so 

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I have to admit this whole thing has ruined my interest in this season. I see Terry fucking up this team and losing big games and I just can't enjoy any of this.

You realize that Wednesday night we are playing to host a de facto conference championship game at home. Anyone that can't get up for a game like that isn't a Texas basketball fan. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You realize that Wednesday night we are playing to host a de facto conference championship game at home. Anyone that can't get up for a game like that isn't a Texas basketball fan. 

Yep. How this team shows up (especially out of the gate tip) at TCU will really confirm two things for me:

1. How bad they want it.

2. How good Terry is at motivating and preparing them when it matters most.

They could lose both remaining games and I won't necessarily be concerned - @ a healthy TCU and Kansas are tough games. However, if they come out flat or have a nine-minute shit stretch like @ Baylor, I'm not going to have much hope for a deeper run in the NCAA Tournament.

Edited by MuellerHorn

It's probably a stretch to think Bennett would automatically get Texas to multiple final 4s but Bennett is a better coach than Beard. 

What Bennett did at Washington State was almost as impressive as what he's done at Virginia. Since Bennett left Washington State they haven't even made the NCAA tournament in 14 years. 

Bennett is a top 5 coach in college basketball. I would be thrilled to see what he could do at a school with resources like Texas. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's probably a stretch to think Bennett would automatically get Texas to multiple final 4s but Bennett is a better coach than Beard. 

What Bennett did at Washington State was almost as impressive as what he's done at Virginia. Since Bennett left Washington State they haven't even made the NCAA tournament in 14 years. 

Bennett is a top 5 coach in college basketball. I would be thrilled to see what he could do at a school with resources like Texas. 

I’d be so thrilled with Bennett. No joke, maybe more excited than Beard. Dude had a national championship, an identity, success in a usually good conference and has put a lot of big names into the league (Klay, Joe Harris, Brogdon, Guy, Jerome, De’Andre Hunter, Trey Murphy). 

Derka said it previously, he’d bring back the 4 year player roster, with the occasional 5 star one and done who will like his 5 first rounder resume 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah this game is our biggest regular season game since...um....er....back in the 2000s at some point.

Huge game. We win and this little road trip is a success. We had to have one.

White (softball) was at a top 10 program, Floreal (track) was at a top 10 program, Schaefer (women's basketball) was at a top 10 program, Beard (basketball) was at a top 10-15 program. 

CDC has already poached coaches at stable programs in power conferences. 

Why does everyone think Texas can't pull a coach from a good program? I mean it's all CDC has been doing outside of Sark and it's questionable if that was even a CDC hire. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

What makes anyone think we could pry Bennett away from UVa?

Bennett makes a lot of sense to me. 

The ACC sucks balls in basketball now. It's ranked behind the Mountain West this year according to Kenpom. Then UVA is way behind the 8 ball with NIL compared to other schools. 

From a casual spectator, Bennett doesn't seem to be in a good situation at all at UVA. The conference sucks and the school doesn't have the resources to compete in the NIL era. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

UVA will have to come up almost 50% on Bennett's salary to equal Texas' likely salary offer (~ $6M).  Not that they can't do it, they're a rich public institution, with an endowment roughly 30% of UT's endowment.  (I have no idea how UVA's wealth is structured nor whether it could be used for coach salaries, but the main point is that UT can probably win a bidding war.)

It seems highly unlikely a Wisconsin native would be beholden to UVA.  They play in a fading conference.  They aren't in close proximity to the sheer number of D1 prospects offered by the state of Texas.  NIL is a foregone conclusion -- no way will UVA ever compete with UT on that front.

I'm not sure why he WOUDN'T come to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Have you ever been to the University of Virginia? 

If you think Virginia has anywhere close to the money that Texas does in terms of NIL I have bad news for you. That's what really matters. 

Their football recruiting class finished ranked #64 and their basketball class is ranked #34 with a top 5 coach. They're getting worked in NIL and it's obvious if you follow recruiting.