DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

Just now, TSipper said:

You're the one willing to give away the keys to the castle to assuage your liberal, white guilt. Sorry if the rest of us don't fall in line, pal.

Define keys to the castle for us all. What's the fear you have about allowing families in, looking to improve their situation? 

• Like 2

Just now, Chrispy said:

Come on over to the right, the water’s fine. 

Which Right exactly?  The one that prefers limited government, fiscal constraint, free trade, and humane immigration policies or the one that the GOP has cultivated over the last 20 years which is in the process of committing political suicide after long periods of shitting on their hands and smearing it on their "principles"?  Cause that may influence my decision. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Republicans are 100% responsible for the War on Drugs. It's Nixon's and Reagan's baby (mostly Reagan's). It's a failed policy and Trump/Sessions are doubling down on it. 

Liberals have always been handicapped by the fact that if they support reform they get blamed for being "soft on drugs" by their conservative "rule of law" opponents. It's really not a "both sides" issue.

Can you imagine if Obama had come out hard on cannabis legalization? One of the main talking points of the campaign for prohibition was that it was the drug used by "uppity" blacks. (And lazy Mexicans which is why we now spell it "marijuana" instead of "marihuana".) The first black president backing legalization would've fed right into that narrative. The Republicans would've had a field day with that. (Even the ones who like to call themselves "libertarian" who, if they actually were libertarian, would support drug legalization.)

I don't want to derail the thread, but I don't agree.  Dems have strongly supported the War on Drugs.   They funded it while running Congress in the 1980s and Clinton escalated it.   Not just the crime bill; hell, Escobar was still alive when Clinton took office.  Blaming Republicans for scaring Dems into it is a cop out.    Putting particular blame on Nixon and Reagan may be fair, but 100% on Republicans?   Not even close, IMO. 

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Republicans are 100% responsible for the War on Drugs. It's Nixon's and Reagan's baby (mostly Reagan's). It's a failed policy and Trump/Sessions are doubling down on it. 

Liberals have always been handicapped by the fact that if they support reform they get blamed for being "soft on drugs" by their conservative "rule of law" opponents. It's really not a "both sides" issue.

Can you imagine if Obama had come out hard on cannabis legalization? One of the main talking points of the campaign for prohibition was that it was the drug used by "uppity" blacks. (And lazy Mexicans which is why we now spell it "marijuana" instead of "marihuana".) The first black president backing legalization would've fed right into that narrative. The Republicans would've had a field day with that. (Even the ones who like to call themselves "libertarian" who, if they actually were libertarian, would support drug legalization.)

You just want to ignore what Democrats and the black democrats did with enhanced sentencing for crack back in the crack epidemic?  Because that shit was bipartisan.  Just like the war in Iraq.  Then Democrats try and distance themselves from it later.  

5 minutes ago, TSipper said:

You're the one willing to give away the keys to the castle to assuage your liberal, white guilt. Sorry if the rest of us don't fall in line, pal.

Liberal, white guilt? Oh for Christ's sake. What fucking planet are you living on? Or are you just trolling us? You can't possibly be this stupid.

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but I don't agree.  Dems have strongly supported the War on Drugs.   They funded it while running Congress in the 1980s and Clinton escalated it.   Not just the crime bill; hell, Escobar was still alive when Clinton took office.  Blaming Republicans for scaring Dems into it is a cop out.    Putting particular blame on Nixon and Reagan may be fair, but 100% on Republicans?   Not even close, IMO. 

You don't think Clinton would've liked to have said, "Sure I inhaled, what the fuck of it?"

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Man what a pussy you are. 

And why are we talking about the first and second amendments? Do you think mine and others' anger here is because you said fuck off? You can tell whoever you want to fuck off whenever you want. That has nothing to do with anything.

(Not you, Zepo.)

Edited by austingirl

5 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Define keys to the castle for us all. What's the fear you have about allowing families in, looking to improve their situation? 

TSipper is obviously a net positive tax contributor, while all the rest of us "liberals" with families are obviously living on the government dole.

Don't read this, TSipper, your brain may explode

Houston, you’re up next. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/19/houston-southwest-key-undocumented-separated-children-immigration/

A facility to house undocumented children is planned for downtown Houston, but city officials don’t want it there.  Southwest Key Programs, the private contractor operating a converted Walmart in Brownsville as a shelter for nearly 1,500 children, has leased a Houston warehouse that in the past housed women and families displaced by Hurricane Harvey, the Houston Chronicle reported. Advocates who work with immigrant minors told the Chronicle that the facility would house “tender age” children younger than 12 as well as pregnant and nursing teenagers. Nearly all of them would be without their parents.  

But before it can begin housing migrant minors, the Houston facility would have to be licensed by the state and approved by various local entities. Houston officials are working to ensure that doesn’t happen.

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

You don't think Clinton would've liked to have said, "Sure I inhaled, what the fuck of it?"

Sure, I think lots of politicians would want to avoid application of laws to themselves while vigorously enforcing them against others.   It's pretty common. 

Just now, austingirl said:

And why are we talking about the first and second amendments? Do you think mine and others' anger here is because you said fuck off? You can tell whoever you want to fuck off whenever you want. That has nothing to do with anything.

Don't tell him. 

He supports bigotry and racism that his party prides itself him. 

7 minutes ago, TSipper said:

What does this even mean? What do you think is going to happen to you if they do get those keys? Are you scared?

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

TSipper is obviously a net positive tax contributor, while all the rest of us "liberals" with families are obviously living on the government dole.

These trolls keep bringing up the debt, but if they truly cared for the economy or were capitalists they'd want more immigrants. 

7 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

1) They are willing to break the law to do it, so if they are willing to break the law to get in, why should I have any faith they won't break the law once they do? I support legal immigration and I sympathize with the amount of time and effort for those people to do it in a legal manner. I have no sympathy for those that will break the law and that type of person isn't someone who can be trusted.

2) When you mention "improve their situation" are they also looking to add to America or add only to their own bottom line? Once again, if you're willing to break the law to get here, I don't have much faith you care about the social contract.

Is this now the time where I ask you "why do you love them so much" and you go all Demi Moore on me?

• Fuck You 5

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Liberal, white guilt? Oh for Christ's sake. What fucking planet are you living on? Or are you just trolling us? You can't possibly be this stupid.

The same liberal white guilt that creates private beaches in Malibu. After all, we wouldn't want the riffraff that we fought so hard to get into America to actually be near us.

• Fuck You 6

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You're going to bring me a Vox article? LOL. Ok, let me respond something equally worthy.

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publications-resources/fiscal-burden-illegal-immigration-united-states-taxpayers

• Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, TSipper said:

The same liberal white guilt that creates private beaches in Malibu. After all, we wouldn't want the riffraff that we fought so hard to get into America to actually be near us.

Can we just neg bomb this stupid Aggy fuck?

13 minutes ago, TSipper said:

1) They are willing to break the law to do it, so if they are willing to break the law to get in, why should I have any faith they won't break the law once they do? I support legal immigration and I sympathize with the amount of time and effort for those people to do it in a legal manner. I have no sympathy for those that will break the law and that type of person isn't someone who can be trusted.

2) When you mention "improve their situation" are they also looking to add to America or add only to their own bottom line? Once again, if you're willing to break the law to get here, I don't have much faith you care about the social contract.

Is this now the time where I ask you "why do you love them so much" and you go all Demi Moore on me?

I don't necessarily enjoy that this is happening. I have to imagine that if they are risking their life to make the journey, their current situation is dire. So we can accept them and integrate them in a step process or we can turn them away.

History tells us that our country was built on inviting the weak and huddled masses. That this country was morally superior to all others. So that tells me we need to find a way to make it work.

Luckily, there is a market for these people to come and contribute. Our lives are all made easier due to the contributions of (il)legal immigrants. They take the jobs others don't and do it for next to nothing. In return, they pay taxes (see above) and have a lower crime rate than the rest of the population. 

Now in regards to the Demi Moore thing, I have no understanding of your point. But I do find it interesting that in our anthem, it states "home of the brave" and here you are so afraid of someone online that you are threatening them with your second amendment rights. Let alone your shaking fear of these families. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Sure, I think lots of politicians would want to avoid application of laws to themselves while vigorously enforcing them against others.   It's pretty common. 

That doesn't make sense. If he had admitted to inhaling, he wouldn't have suffered legal consequences. They weren't going to arrest him. He would have suffered political consequences. That was my point. 

21 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

History tells us that our country was built on inviting the weak and huddled masses. That this country was morally superior to all others. So that tells me we need to find a way to make it work.

History doesn't tell us any of that.  Jesus, I mean let's be real about our history.  Our country was founded on a set of extremely noble principles and concepts. And we immediately contradicted them. Our country was built on the back of slavery with a good measure of systematic genocide, racism, and land grab.  We've had some moments of purpose and clearly positive contribution to the world, but let's be honest with ourselves and not white wash our history with the cloth of some exceptionalist hagiography. Moral superiority?  In what fantasy world? We are extremely flawed, we have always been flawed, and will likely continue to be flawed. And we need to always be trying harder to be less flawed. I don't take issue with the rest of your post, or the conclusion that we need (and can) to find a way to make it work, but I don't think that lens to that place looks backwards to history.~apologetically very anastasishly   

Edited by Anastasis

9 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Not only does the MAGA-crowd not care one iota about these kids, they openly mock them.

Goddamn Hope Hicks has some low standards. 

Edited by Pods

52 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You just want to ignore what Democrats and the black democrats did with enhanced sentencing for crack back in the crack epidemic?  Because that shit was bipartisan.  Just like the war in Iraq.  Then Democrats try and distance themselves from it later.  

No Democrat ignores either of those things. In fact, the left roundly criticizes Bill and Hillary Clinton for both. 

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

History doesn't tell us any of that.  Jesus, I mean let's be real about our history.  Our country was founded on a set of extremely noble principles and concepts. And we immediately contradicted them. Our country was built on the back of slavery with a good measure of systematic genocide, racism, and land grab.  We've had some moments of purpose and clearly positive contribution to the world, but let's be honest with ourselves and not white wash our history with the cloth of some exceptionalist hagiography. Moral superiority?  In what fantasy world? We are extremely flawed, we have always been flawed, and will likely continue to be flawed. And we need to always be trying harder to be less flawed. I don't take issue with the rest of your post, or the conclusion that we need (and can) to find a way to make it work, but I don't think that lens to that place looks backwards to history.~apologetically very anastasishly   

Yeah you are right. We made and furthered atrocities and worked also to right those wrongs. Wrongs that were global practices for a long long time and began far before our country adopted it. It sucks that any group would own other people, yet it still happens. If we don't continue to own our wrongs, learn from them, and make steps to make sure they never happen again, then we have failed as a system. By turning these people away, we are saying we learned our lessons but don't give a shit anyways. I don't accept that. And you can try to needle any and every point just to be a contrarian, but you get my greater point. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Which Right exactly?  The one that prefers limited government, fiscal constraint, free trade, and humane immigration policies or the one that the GOP has cultivated over the last 20 years which is in the process of committing political suicide after long periods of shitting on their hands and smearing it on their "principles"?  Cause that may influence my decision. 

Whichever one you deem more appealing, I suppose. My comment was more tongue in cheek though, as I got a kick out of people ascribing your posts to evil. 

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No Democrat ignores either of those things. In fact, the left roundly criticizes Bill and Hillary Clinton for both. 

Yeah, and it definitely affected turnout from the left in the election.   It was possibly one of the things that flipped the election, given how close it was.  

4 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Whichever one you deem more appealing, I suppose. My comment was more tongue in cheek though, as I got a kick out of people ascribing your posts to evil. 

I don't think anybody ascribed my post to "evil" unless I missed it. But I have been accused of "sanctimonious twattery", the formulation of which I actually appreciate (what happened to SPII in the transtion btw, did he change username?).

Edited by Anastasis

Not like we rejected the presumptive nominee in 08 in favor of a first term black senator named Hussein over Iraq and the Clinton crime bill.

But, you do you.

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yeah, and it definitely affected turnout from the left in the election.   It was possibly one of the things that flipped the election, given how close it was.  

On top of being “the worst candidate ever” (which is objectively absurd), Hillary got rat-fucked every step of the way.

Obama failed her by pussyfooting on Russia because “he didn’t want to look like he was interfering” -Thanks Obama

The Bernie Bros being sore losers and making a scene fucked her.

Donna Brazile fucked her with the unimportant debate question

Jill Stein’s horseshit fucked her

Comey fucked her twice

The NY FBI field office fucked her with the leaks 

Putin fucked her every single day of the campaign 

The media fuck her by giving Trump nonstop wall-to-wall coverage when they weren’t talking about her irrelevant fucking emails which were stolen by a hostile foreign government with the explicit purpose to have the media cover them.

But yeah, her losing the election was completely her fault because she didn’t have a resonating message.

/sarcasm

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think anybody ascribed my post to "evil" unless I missed it. But I have been accused of "sanctimonious twattery", the formulation of which I actually appreciate (what happened to SPII in the transtion btw, did he change username?).

Yes, you missed BT’s post. Although, to be fair, he sees evil lurking around every corner. 

On top of being “the worst candidate ever” (which is objectively absurd), Hillary got rat-fucked every step of the way.
Obama failed her by pussyfooting on Russia because “he didn’t want to look like he was interfering” -Thanks Obama
The Bernie Bros being sore losers and making a scene fucked her.
Donna Brazile fucked her with the unimportant debate question
Jill Stein’s horseshit fucked her
Comey fucked her twice
The NY FBI field office fucked her with the leaks 
Putin fucked her every single day of the campaign 
The media fuck her by giving Trump nonstop wall-to-wall coverage when they weren’t talking about her irrelevant fucking emails which were stolen by a hostile foreign government with the explicit purpose to have the media cover them.

But yeah, her losing the election was completely her fault because she didn’t have a resonating message.
/sarcasm

Dude. She was a really, really shitty candidate. Donald Trump in part because in their hubris the Clintons cleared the field so she could be the nominee. She’s a terrible, unskilled, tone-deaf candidate and the cost of her self inflicted wounds are far greater than all of those things combined.
  • Like 2