Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

21 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

How can people blame talent when we take a decent to big lead in the first half against OU and OSU only to melt down in the second half? It's on coaching and conditioning. It's the mental aspect that's clearly lacking. It's been the issue for as long as I have watched this team and not a single coach has been able to figure it out.

It’s the same attitude the fans have. As soon as patterns start to show, we are certain we know what’s coming. Only with the players, it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

Sark and company have to scheme around our deficiencies. Once the opponent appropriately adjust we have nothing left to offer. Only so much you can do with this OL and limited QB.

That’s the fucking job. It’s always the fucking job and yesterday Gundy and Knowles did their jobs exponentially better than Sark and PK. They did it while they have less talent and more holes in their 2-deep than the Longhorns.

That is not a good Ok State team - despite their current record. They struggled with Missouri State, Tulsa, and Boise because they don’t have top tier talent. 

This is 2 losses to inferior opponents (and a historic choke job to a comparable team) and you can try to talk in circles around that but it is absolutely a fact. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Xian said:
Exactly this. Drunken Steve is a fucking joke.  Wanted to a few sazerac.  

We need a rep option for posts that may not warrant a neg but they cross a line and deserve a sternly worded note. As a throwback to the olden times, an envelope would be appropriate

ETA: Upon further reading, I take this back.

Edited by SquishMitten

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We have cultivated a loser culture for so long that even if you bring in elite talent at certain positions, instead of them elevating the team's performance, they revert back to the team's culture. That's why the 5 stars we have brought in haven't been able to make a difference. Everyone remembers how Caden and BJ played in their first year. They seemed like world beaters who were going to make our DB group the best in the country. But after they spent a year or two in the program, both of them regressed big time. Foster now is lazy, slow and not even a shell of what he was as a freshman. You can't tell me it's not a culture issue. We have not made our elite talents better after they set foot on campus save for a few outliers. It's almost like we need to start from scratch or get a coach (like Saban) who commands discipline, mental fortitude, and 100% effort on every play.

Yea uh well we’ve done one of those things 3 times in the past 10 years and tried and failed at the other one twice

Just now, SquishMitten said:

We need a rep option for posts that may not warrant a neg but they cross a line and deserve a sternly worded note. As a throwback to the olden times, an envelope would be appropriate

Mmm nah calling a guy who has clearly turned himself around a drunk is def full neg worthy. Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

That’s the fucking job. It’s always the fucking job and yesterday Gundy and Knowles did their jobs exponentially better than Sark and PK. They did it while they have less talent and more holes in their 2-deep than the Longhorns.

That is not a good Ok State team - despite their current record. They struggled with Missouri State, Tulsa, and Boise because they don’t have top tier talent. 

This is 2 losses to inferior opponents (and a historic choke job to a comparable team) and you can try to talk in circles around that but it is absolutely a fact. 

Again, how are you defining talent here? Based on recruit rankings? Did you watch the game yesterday, did it appear we had more talent than Okie St on the OL? What about DL, and in the secondary? Gundy and Knowles were able to make adjustments and still have their players perform. Anything we do on offense is in spite of our OL. They can barely do the few things they are capable of doing well, once the defense adjust and takes plays away do you honestly think the OL can do things they aren't capable of all of a sudden? The results of the last 2 games after halftime should answer that question for you. And Sark and Flood damn near tried every OL combination possible with what they have to work with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Spoke too soon! Thought maybe he just wasn’t thinking clearly. Negs were appropriate. 

16 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You can't tell me it's not a culture issue.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this. I think the main disagreement is what solving that looks like.

Personally, I think it's a simple-but-difficult fix: Competition.

One of the things that made me very excited about Urban was how he seems to treat everything like a competition. Punishing complacency will be very important, maybe even more important than rewarding effort. I hope we see that kind of thing.

Sark's post-game sounded good to me. I think he knows there is laziness and rot. Now we have to wait and see if he fixes it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The same OL is absolutely executing when the initial game plan is in place. They are capable of executing a competent game plan to the point that the Horns ypp, points per snap/drive, and team scoring are at the fucking top of college football - esp when broken out by half.

They fail to execute when the DC has adjusted and Sark has no answers to those adjustments. This isn’t rocket surgery. 

you don’t even see that the point you think you are making only further clarifies the coaching failures. 

And yes, Texas is more talented than Oklahoma State by every measure and if you disagree you are burying your head in the sand. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Again, how are you defining talent here? Based on recruit rankings? Did you watch the game yesterday, did it appear we had more talent than Okie St on the OL? What about DL, and in the secondary? Gundy and Knowles were able to make adjustments and still have their players perform. Anything we do on offense is in spite of our OL. They can barely do the few things they are capable of doing well, once the defense adjust and takes plays away do you honestly think the OL can do things they aren't capable of all of a sudden? The results of the last 2 games after halftime should answer that question for you. And Sark and Flood damn near tried every OL combination possible with what they have to work with. 

Ignore him, he is just coming out to gloat. He and a few others are endless in their desire to suck any and all life out of fans of this program with an optimistic outlook. They are like vampires lurking in the shadows, just waiting for your weak moment so they can pounce and drain you, turning you to their side. 

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

If you think OU has inferior talent I'm afraid you are overrating our roster. Their OL and DL are far superior to ours.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Ignore him, he is just coming out to gloat. He and a few others are endless in their desire to suck any and all life out of fans of this program with an optimistic outlook. They are like vampires lurking in the shadows, just waiting for your weak moment so they can pounce and drain you, turning you to their side. 

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

The talent question/answer is easy:

How many players on this team could/would start for one of the top 5, hell top 10 teams in the country?

Bijan, Worthy, Whittington (when healthy).  

Collins?

Sweat?

Jamison as a returner?

That's not great for 100+ players on the roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

How can people blame talent when we take a decent to big lead in the first half against OU and OSU only to melt down in the second half? It's on coaching and conditioning. It's the mental aspect that's clearly lacking. It's been the issue for as long as I have watched this team and not a single coach has been able to figure it out.

Its like running a marathon. The runner that gets to the 10 mile marker first doesn't always win. You play 4 quarters. The 4th quarter is partial mental and partially physical. Coaches get too much credit when winning and too much blame for losing. I'll judge Sark in his third season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

How many players on this team could/would start for one of the top 5, hell top 10 teams in the country?

Collins?

Sweat?

Jamison as a returner?

Overshown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why do people argue like it's an either/or type of thing? Is it possible the problem is partially both culture and talent (and S&C)?

Culture is clearly an issue. Our team still turtles just like the last 4 years. But you can't expect Sark to fix that in a half season when all his players have had years of Herman culture instilled in them. It's not like flipping a switch and suddenly it's changed. Based on his presser, he clearly recognizes a problem. Over the next year or two, we'll see if he can fix it. Maybe he can, maybe he can't. We'll see.

Talent is also an issue especially at certain positions. LB and OL are a joke thanks to the previous regime's roster management and lack of development. Think about it - we all assume Tommy Brock would def start year 1 if he portaled here. He's THIRD STRING at Bama. RB, WR, and DL should be good enough for a top 15 team. QB and DB somewhere in between. This is another area impossible to fix in a single year.

Everyone's favorite speculation, S&C, may also be a problem. Our lines look weaker in the past. We've consistently played worse late in games which points to conditioning. Hard to know if it's really the issue vs. talent/mindset, but if so it's fair to judge Sark/Becton already on this one.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

The same OL is absolutely executing when the initial game plan is in place. They are capable of executing a competent game plan to the point that the Horns ypp, points per snap/drive, and team scoring are at the fucking top of college football - esp when broken out by half.

They fail to execute when the DC has adjusted and Sark has no answers to those adjustments. This isn’t rocket surgery. 

you don’t even see that the point you think you are making only further clarifies the coaching failures. 

And yes, Texas is more talented than Oklahoma State by every measure and if you disagree you are burying your head in the sand. 

You are right, this isn't rocket surgery. Being able to run the ball inside would probably solve at least half of the issues on offense. Do you honestly believe we come into the game without any inside runs on the play sheet. Do you think Sark just refuses to call them, we don't practice them during the week? In fact Sark tried to turn this offense into and IZ running scheme, do you not remember? Do you realize why we had to go away from that and resort to OZ and stretch plays? This OL is very limited in what they can do. And they are only marginal at one thing, outside running plays. They can't execute for inside runs, and they can't pass block either. So I am not sure what you expect Sark to do.

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Collins?

Sweat?

Jamison as a returner?

Do that same exercise for the team we played yesterday. Their top receiver cannot even catch a ball effectively. Their offensive line is arguably even worse than ours. Coaching actually matters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Do that same exercise for the team we played yesterday. Their top receiver cannot even catch a ball effectively. Their offensive line is arguably even worse than ours. Coaching actually matters. 

Their offensive line whooped our defensive line for half of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarter. Their defensive line whooped our offensive line for a large portion of the game. The game is won or lost in the trenches. We  got destroyed the last 2 games in the trenches in the second half the last 2 weeks. All three losses can be contributed to losing the battle in the trenches. Does anyone sense a theme here? Where did Herman struggle in recruiting every year? Both sides of the line, on the line. I don't really feel like going through the recruiting on the lines over the last few years but just by memory, we never really got who we wanted/needed.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Like 1

To even consider OU and Texas comparable teams invalidates the rest of your statement. We should have beat OkSt, but Casey was playing poorly and the already bad OL was falling apart before Casey even threw the horrible pick six. Casey seems to have bought into his own hype a bit, he's not taking the easy plays the defense is giving him, instead choosing to force the ball into riskier options downfield.

Casey made some horrible reads against OU too, some of which were drive killers. I still believe we win the game if he gets the ball out to K-Rob in the flat instead of handing it off to Bijan. He's best as a one or two read and run guy, Sark is probably trying to get him to go through his progressions, but Casey is not that kind of guy. Maybe Sark could manage Casey better, but he's the expert and I'm not even sure what his options are there.

I think only blaming coaching for the 1st and 2nd half disparities is lazy. The opportunities are there on both sides of the ball, but it feels like our guys lose their edge or intensity up front and just try to hang on to win. Hard to figure out. The other team steps up their intensity and our guys can't match it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas is not more talented by every measure. People really need to stop over estimating what exists here. This team has maybe a handful of elite players. And by elite I mean top 4 rounds of the draft good. That’s it, that’s all we have. 

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Well as someone who prognosticated 10 wins based on this talent, maybe you should be less confident in your perspective.

What even is "talent"? A potential proficiency? How much of it is physical? What is the actual difference between a low 4-star and high 3-star in "talent"?

Also, what is this "schedule was weak enough" shit? Where we are right now we have played the toughest schedule in the conference with OU 5 places behind us and KSU 9 places behind them.

I'm not even saying you should be better at predicting and prognosticating, but your certainty is unearned.

The team has been outcoached the last two games, clearly in the second half. They were outcoached and outprepared all game against Arkansas. There is no defense for 1 yard gained in the fourth quarter against a team without an NFL draft pick on defense and the best running back in the country. 

I’m not certain about much, but I know weak coaching when I see it. This program is in the spin cycle. We’ve seen all of these games and seasons before. You and the rest of the sunshine pumpers can choose to find your glimmers of hope and sell them to each other. Me? I’ll care less and less and wait patiently and hope the next guy doesn’t suck as bad as the last 3.5 guys. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Texas is not more talented by every measure. People really need to stop over estimating what exists here. This team has maybe a handful of elite players. And by elite I mean top 4 rounds of the draft good. That’s it, that’s all we have. 

Gundy literally played the game of attrition against us and won, and he thinks they're less talented? We were losing up front, and he just waited for things to play out.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The team has been outcoached the last two games, clearly in the second half. They were outcoached and outprepared all game against Arkansas. There is no defense for 1 yard gained in the fourth quarter against a team without an NFL draft pick on defense and the best running back in the country. 

I’m not certain about much, but I know weak coaching when I see it. This program is in the spin cycle. We’ve seen all of these games and seasons before. You and the rest of the sunshine pumpers can choose to find your glimmers of hope and sell them to each other. Me? I’ll care less and less and wait patiently and hope the next guy doesn’t suck as bad as the last 3.5 guys. 

What should Sark have done differently? We ran 8 plays in the fourth quarter. 6 of them were runs.

The first drive was bijan for 0, then bijan for -2, then a bad Casey sack for -4. The second drive was Bijan for 9, then a bad Casey throw to X on a similar play that went for a TD against OU for 0, then a poorly executed ZR for -2, then a 4th down Casey panic play for 0. Casey threw a horrible pick on the first play of the final drive.

I'm not blaming Sark yet because he inherited a roster filled with holes. I'll blame him once he's had the chance to fill said holes and fails to do so or continues to have these issues after he has.

Edited by Atticus

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If you truly believe all that, you might as well disappear for the next 3.5 years because that is what you're looking at if what you believe turns out to be true.

Y’all are arguing about how much talent we recruit, when it doesn’t matter because we don’t develop and grow any talent we get anyways, and haven’t for years. And OL is all about development.

We get OL like Tyler Johnson, who everyone wanted coming out of high school and then we never hear from him again, can’t even make the depth chart. Jean Delance got shit on when he was here, but he left and became a solid starter for Florida. 

At other positions, highly ranked recruits like Sterns, Foster, and Coburn have literally gotten worse the longer they’ve been in the program.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Y’all are arguing about how much talent we recruit, when it doesn’t matter because we don’t develop and grow any talent we get anyways, and haven’t for years. And OL is all about development.

We get OL like Tyler Johnson, who everyone wanted coming out of high school and then we never hear from him again, can’t even make the depth chart. Jean Delance got shit on when he was here, but he left and became a solid starter for Florida. 

At other positions, highly ranked recruits like Sterns, Foster, and Coburn have literally gotten worse the longer they’ve been in the program.

Last I heard about this guy was that he was more focused on making beats and producing music.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Gundy literally played the game of attrition against us and won, and he thinks they're less talented? We were losing up front, and he just waited for things to play out. 

Yes. Taking the air out of the football and controlling TOP is EXACTLY how a team with less talent approaches any game against a more talented team. Service academies much? 

Edited by golfclap

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

What should Sark have done differently? We ran 8 plays in the fourth quarter. 6 of them were runs.

The first drive was bijan for 0, then bijan for -2, then a bad Casey sack for -4. The second drive was Bijan for 9, then a bad Casey throw to X on a similar play that went for a TD against OU for 0, then a poorly executed ZR for -2, then a 4th down Casey panic play for 0. Casey threw a horrible pick on the first play of the final drive.

I'm not blaming Sark yet because he inherited a roster filled with holes. I'll blame him once he's had the chance to fill said holes and fails to do so or continues to have these issues after he has.

The first thing he should have done was not run only 8 plays in the 4th qt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Yes. Taking the air out of the football and controlling TOP is EXACTLY how a team with less talent approaches any game against a more talented team. Yeah Service academies much? 

You're seeing what you wanna see. A disadvantaged team usually has to take risky chances to win. Like going for it on 4th down, onside kicks and all that. They just kept pounding away with the run even though we were stuffing it for most of the game.

He was still like nah, we'll be fine in the end. They took the air out of the ball once they got their lead.

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

This is the correct answer.  If it weren’t for Sark we would have never led in the last two games so I guess that would be better for some fans to deal with.  Don’t get me wrong I’m not happy and my wife thinks I’m having a stroke watching this shit but it is what it is.  Our talent is awful.  Our best receiver is a true freshman from the portal. Oline is horrible and Brock is our starting LB.   Not picking on Brock because he a great team player but he should never start for Texas.  Sark can only do so much with what he has and most of that was here before he got here.  If you need evidence of what Sark will bring in just look at X.  

So it is only due to Sark doing such a great coaching job that Texas has been in position for two epic and embarrassing collapses?

11 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Getting this secondhand via IT, but apparently 247 thinks Jaydon Blue is on decommit watch

While I’m meh on this. All it’s gonna due is fuel the negative National hype on Texas. 2 epic collapses. Back to back. A defense that ranks 107 in nation. Now more decommits as fall out of the shit.  Even if behind the scenes Texas has dropped conversations. Or the fact that there are 3 RBs that would be ahead of him plus Miller. It’s just shit timing if it happens 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Foster and Coburn were overrated by the services and I firmly believe that, no copium, always have.  As for development, yeah it's sucked by and large with some exceptions during Strong and Herman years.  We've all known and accepted that yet plenty of chucklefucks think a new coaching staff is fraudulent if they don't take a team full of underdeveloped projects straight to a conference title in year one.   Even as bad as the last two losses have felt, there's been notable coaching progress with regards to special teams and penalty accrual, ref fuckery notwithstanding.   Hell even the fact we lead at any point over teams that would have us chasing them frantically in the 4th quarter under Herman is progress.   As for Tyler Johnson vs Delance, the latter was a Charlie guy and he left when the regime cratered and he saw no future for himself at Texas, good for him.   Stability is important, relationships are important, evaluation is important, development is important; let's give Sark a chance rather than be reactionary fucks after 7 games that think we're a proper hire or two away from the playoffs, because that's the easy rationale

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

So it is only due to Sark doing such a great coaching job that Texas has been in position for two epic and embarrassing collapses?

Yeah, you think a Herman coached team without Sam (bruiser running QB) is doing better? Casey or Hudson run the Mensa offense and we win more? Ash has this defense playing better? Wtf is wrong with you people? We beat Kansas by a field goal with herman, we put 70 on tech with sark. We lost to tcu, West Virginia, and Baylor with herman. Can we wait to see if sark can beat Baylor and West Virginia? He already beat sweat towel lol 

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting