Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

There’s a group out there who claimed to have Stewart taken care of a couple of months ago. Every time I asked about this group I was told Stewart was just playing the game and they would likely need more $$$ to land him if another school upped the bid for him. That was before A&M really got involved. Then it turned into we wouldn’t lose him to A&M over money.

The guy telling me all this was likely involved, this isn’t something he would lie about. Now he’s saying the rumors of the $$$ a&m put together are undershooting the amount. I asked him if the door was closed for sure, and he said we will remain in contact until he signs but doesn’t think the $$$ is there to match the offer. I asked him why they don’t just say fuck it and put that money towards the OL NIL stuff and do some good, but he thinks the money will be used to bag elsewhere. 

The reality is cash is king for these top prospects. I just don’t see it going away. I think that’s hopeful thinking and ignores the emotional impact these cash offers make on the receiving parties. 

Fuck him, if he want's to commit career suicide over a couple hundred K $ he is a dumbass anyway.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 5

Stewart’s recruitment went very quiet once he stopped playing hs fball. The 9.95 guys don’t even know all that much about the group who is running his recruitment. For all we know, it wasn’t even Stewart’s decision. That happens all the time with elite prospects, but that’s just speculation on my part. However, I can tell people from personal experience that sometimes there just isn’t any logic to why kids end up where they end up. People wondering why he would go to a school that is obviously a bad fit schematically may be thinking beyond the real reasons he went with A&M. Sometimes it’s just really simple. High bidder wins.

• Like 2

Just now, Barbacoa said:

Stewart’s recruitment went very quiet once he stopped playing hs fball. The 9.95 guys don’t even know all that much about the group who is running his recruitment. For all we know, it wasn’t even Stewart’s decision. That happens all the time with elite prospects, but that’s just speculation on my part. However, I can tell people from personal experience that sometimes there just isn’t any logic to why kids end up where they end up. People wondering why he would go to a school that is obviously a bad fit schematically may be thinking beyond the real reasons he went with A&M. Sometimes it’s just really simple. High bidder wins.

He sounds like a good kid but I think we could spend the same money more effectively (how about $50k to four lineman and $100k to Denver Harris).  

It sounds like A&M considers himself the missing piece; also in an arms race we may need to exhaust them before they quit the fight.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

There’s a group out there who claimed to have Stewart taken care of a couple of months ago. Every time I asked about this group I was told Stewart was just playing the game and they would likely need more $$$ to land him if another school upped the bid for him. That was before A&M really got involved. Then it turned into we wouldn’t lose him to A&M over money.

The guy telling me all this was likely involved, this isn’t something he would lie about. Now he’s saying the rumors of the $$$ a&m put together are undershooting the amount. I asked him if the door was closed for sure, and he said we will remain in contact until he signs but doesn’t think the $$$ is there to match the offer. I asked him why they don’t just say fuck it and put that money towards the OL NIL stuff and do some good, but he thinks the money will be used to bag elsewhere. 

The reality is cash is king for these top prospects. I just don’t see it going away. I think that’s hopeful thinking and ignores the emotional impact these cash offers make on the receiving parties. 

So the price on Stewart ended up being >$250k-$300k? I know inflation is bad but Cam Newton didn’t even cost that much

I wonder if "High Bidder Wins" eventually goes away given the ease at which these guys can transfer nowadays.  If anything, I think that is why I agree with CTJ that the impact of the bagman might diminish in the near future, and NIL will be more important.  If these boosters drop $300k on a player enough times, and then they end up leaving after 1 or 2 years, achieve more individual and team success at their new school.... eventually that has to make these guys rethink the ROI doesn't it?  Or is the $300k paid out in installments?    Bagmen will always be around to secure visits, ensure trips to rivals don't occur due to "can't find a ride" etc....but the huge payoff to secure a signing is what I'm talking about here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

So the price on Stewart ended up being >$250k-$300k? I know inflation is bad but Cam Newton didn’t even cost that much

aggys aren't smart on how they spend their money.  They just saw, "We can beat Texas for a recruit they really want" and that's all it takes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

aggys aren't smart on how they spend their money.  They just saw, "We can beat Texas for a recruit they really want" and that's all it takes.

Sounds about right lol.  Then, he’ll transfer after a year and fuck them in the ass.  Idiots.  I mean they’re paying a shitload for white Sumlin.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have trouble buying the more than 200k part tbh. I think the group on our side was overconfident about their own offer and ability to keep up. I certainly was overconfident in my own ability to get similar stuff going on a different guy. People get real excited until 5-7 happens and it’s time to produce the assets. It also doesn’t help when the staff goes radio silent on people in the middle of them trying to help. 

6 hours ago, PapiShark said:

New poster and a long time lurker. Just graduated and moving soon to my new job. Been looking at all this NIL discussion and been wanting to contribute. Would love to contribute to Burnt Ends once I start my job after a few paychecks. Think we need to have more contributions and stop being fucking pussies and complain all the time. So fuck it, I'll start contributing.

This is how you 1st post.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, burdine said:

Just so it does not get lost in my well-deserved public shaming.

I have already given a $100 to the Worthy Award. 

I will give another $200 if ten more want to also add $200.

Maybe this is more for the non Burnt Ends people.  Since the Burnt Ends folks are already doing their part.

1 of your ten is done.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: Tuesday recruiting notes on remaining and new targets

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Tuesday recruiting notes on remaining and new targets

Mike Roach

— I entered a Crystal Ball prediction for four-star Lubbock-Cooper linebacker Kobie McKinzie today. I had good intel a Texas offer would be coming and once I confirmed that, I decided to move with the prediction. McKinzie is a longstanding Texas fan who has made no secret about his desire to attend UT, but the previous staff didn’t show him much recruiting attention. Pete Kwiatkowski was supposed to be in town to see him today and Steve Sarkisian called him this evening to extend the offer. McKinzie should be setting up an official visit with a decision to come in December. We will see McKinzie this weekend when he plays a regional final game against Wichita Falls Rider in Abilene.

— As Nick reported, Arlington Seguin ATH Xavion Brice will take an official visit to Texas next weekend. Brice was offered in the summer but committed to OU when contact dropped off from Texas. The Longhorns had an in-home visit this week and convinced the lanky athlete to make the official trip to Austin. Brice can play both ways but I like his versatility at defensive back most. Brice plays with 2023 Texas commit Jemel Johnson but he’s taking his time with the process. He will visit Texas Tech first, then Texas, with TCU and Houston also on the docket. Bob Stoops is also working to keep him in the Oklahoma class.

— Oklahoma tight end Austin Stogner entered the NCAA Transfer Portal today. This move was somewhat expected when we started hearing of all the players looking to defect from Norman. I spoke to sources near Stogner who indicated that he would have a lot of interest in Texas if the Longhorns do reach out. I’m still checking the interest on the Texas side, but Stogner could be an immediate shot in the arm for this offense if the Longhorns could land him.

— Euless Trinity running back Ollie Gordon picked up a Texas offer today. The ultra-productive Trinity runner has been committed to Oklahoma State for a long time. I’ve yet to see what the clear fit is for Gordon at Texas, but I talked to a source near his recruitment who said he’d give Texas around a 40% chance of flipping him. Gordon has been pretty strong with Oklahoma State, and they’ve been good to his family. Texas is going to have to flip his mother to flip Gordon.

— The Longhorns will go in home with four-star St. James (LA.) WR Shazz Preston tomorrow. Steve Sarkisian is expected to be there with Terry Joseph and Bo Davis. With Evan Stewart off the board and LSU in flux at the moment, Texas needs to strike here to see if they can land a blow. Alabama is expected to be a tough competitor as well for Preston.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, PapiShark said:

New poster and a long time lurker. Just graduated and moving soon to my new job. Been looking at all this NIL discussion and been wanting to contribute. Would love to contribute to Burnt Ends once I start my job after a few paychecks. Think we need to have more contributions and stop being fucking pussies and complain all the time. So fuck it, I'll start contributing.

All that's left is for you to post pics of your exes, like we all have, and we will consider you officially part of this community.  werewaiting.gif 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's always a surprise to me when I read how linear, simple, and uninformed many grown men are when it comes to how various business approaches by people with financial wherewithal play out, or in their mind, how such matters should play out. The entitlement, the impatience, the simple scenarios of things like idiotically just throwing millions of dollars out there with no understanding of why, just doing it. Shit like that happens when buyouts are discussed, how the bag game does or doesn't work, and now NIL, plus much more. I assume most people here went to UT, so I assume there are a lot of sociology grads posting or some shit. Maybe a lot of young guys too.

Coming back to this thread after 7 hours of meetings and work and wow, there's no easy way to even address some of the bad bullshit and weak assumptions.

I told this board weeks ago that the price had moved north of $250k. That wasn't speculative. 

-----

Like I said earlier today, I still think Texas winds up with 5 key guys that kind of suprise us all on or around signing day. It won't be because our brand or results won out. I do not believe Stewart will be part of that. I do believe we're going to wind up with some key OL targets. The NIL stuff won't hurt on that either.

Enough to feature a competent line, one that doesn't block ghosts, tackle turf, or take out the other guy with the little longhorn on his helmet that looks vaguely familiar?  

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It has before.

And OU hasn't been through this process in about 20 years. When Stoops retired it was an internal hire that prevented major roster turnover. Texas does this process every 3 or 4 years where we hire a new coach, lose a shit load of players, and essentially start over. 

A big reason OU > Texas is because they never go through this process. Roster rebuilds aren't easy. 

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's always a surprise to me when I read how linear, simple, and uninformed many grown men are when it comes to how various business approaches by people with financial wherewithal play out, or in their mind, how such matters should play out. The entitlement, the impatience, the simple scenarios of things like idiotically just throwing millions of dollars out there with no understanding of why, just doing it. Shit like that happens when buyouts are discussed, how the bag game does or doesn't work, and now NIL, plus much more. I assume most people here went to UT, so I assume there are a lot of sociology grads posting or some shit. Maybe a lot of young guys too.

Coming back to this thread after 7 hours of meetings and work and wow, there's no easy way to even address some of the bad bullshit and weak assumptions.

I told this board weeks ago that the price had moved north of $250k. That wasn't speculative. 

-----

Like I said earlier today, I still think Texas winds up with 5 key guys that kind of suprise us all on or around signing day. It won't be because our brand or results won out. I do not believe Stewart will be part of that. I do believe we're going to wind up with some key OL targets. The NIL stuff won't hurt on that either.

Obviously I believe you, but I still don’t understand how it got that high. Our hair got brushed back when it got to 200k, and I didn’t think we would match that. Do you think we did? Or did bama? Or was that number in conjunction with the t shirt company incorrect? 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting