Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Um, apply same concept to other "biggest needs" and apply the same scenario and you have why we are sucking shit through a straw recruiting against them.

Honestly I don't need you to explain why we suck shit through a straw recruiting against Aggie. I completely understand the "concept". Aggie has been building this momentum since coach cuck arrived, it has just snowballed but they will fall on their face just like every time before. I just choose to not come in here and bitch and moan about it. I choose to be positive because nothing I say or do can change a damn thing an I don't need to make myself miserable over it. I can and will bitch and moan about the bitching and moaning though. I have done all I can do by being a part of Burnt Ends. I'm sorry I won't be miserable in your company. You be you though. I won't go away because it is still entertaining. We all want the same thing, Texas to get back on top of the Football food chain. That won't happen overnight. We are what we are for the moment. I sucks, I hate it but I need to keep my sanity and I do that by looking on the bright side of things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think there are some differences in the mindset of players who have already been on college campuses vs high school recruits. Conceptually it may be the same but the approaches and pitches are slightly different. 

Is there any evidence that this staff is/will be good at that slightly different approach?

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Is there any evidence that this staff is/will be good at that slightly different approach?

I guess we will find out over the course of the next month or so with regards to our portal activity. They did well last off season bringing guys in with a short time period to work with. 

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"Deserve", lol. No one put a gun to Sark's head and forced him to lose to Kansas.

In September you and the rest of the sunshine-pumping crowd kept claiming that recruits were smart enough to not care about wins and losses because they were focused on the 'long-term' vision of the program. Well, now those same recruits want nothing to do with us. The conclusion is obvious.

If we had a Big 12 average defense this year the whole season narrative is different.

Sark has to own that the defensive staff didn't work this year. 

If he tweaks/upgrades the defensive staff to get a Big 12 average result next year, what does that season look like?  8-4ish?

Get a QB starter from the portal, that might improve some on top of that.

I don't think there are quick fixes here but I don't think we have to be doomed to repeat this season either.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, you and I are pretty similar. That's what I meant when I said a 4 year rebuild above. We're going to have to eat shit for awhile and see if this staff can/will develop kids. Not having dudes drafted hurts, but I get tired at the whole misconception that we aren't developing talent well. Of course, we are not. But of all these top 10 classes weve had that folks love to cite against us, most of the top players in those classes were busts or transferred out or both. Our adjusted class rankings, if one existed, would be dogshit. Development is a problem. But so is having prick coaches that players hate, and so is our player evaluation. It's all shit. Herman took shitty dudes to inflate rankings to stay afloat of the perception game. Strong took head cases and dipshits with ok rankings. 

This time we have a likeable coach. Well see if he makes adjustments and develops guys, and we'll see if he can fix evaluation and culture. But yet, I don't see any choice except to be patient and give this guy 4 years to see progress. 

I said it before, we aren't gonna win the recruiting beauty contest this year and maybe not the next. We have to be able to recruit the right transfers and show something to justify these more talented players choosing us. 

We can win without 5-stars, but we can't base our hopes and dreams on those long shots. Gotta eval, develop, and coach much better on gameday

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"Deserve", lol. No one put a gun to Sark's head and forced him to lose to Kansas.

In September you and the rest of the sunshine-pumping crowd kept claiming that recruits were smart enough to not care about wins and losses because they were focused on the 'long-term' vision of the program. Well, now those same recruits want nothing to do with us. The conclusion is obvious.

We lost all momentum with the 5-7 finish.  If we could have flipped that to 7-5 he could have sold "the roster sucks, but we still won 7 and I am going to purge the deadweight."  He can gain momentum next year by purging the roster and finishing with 7 or more wins.  Six or fewer we might as well fire him.  

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You are one of the most miserable people on this board. You had some funny takes over the last few days and I gave you rep for that. You should try to be funny more often, I like that side of you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, turtlepond said:

I got roasted and accused of being a sheep humper when I assumed the Dewberry kid was aggy bound. 

Does anyone have any tangible evidence that Devon Campbell is still within grasp, or is it time to cut bait?

Is he a highly ranked recruit?  If so then cut bait.  Is he a 2-3 star recruit who is also looking at Sam Houston State and North Texas then maybe we have a shot if the stars align.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I said it before, we aren't gonna win the recruiting beauty contest this year and maybe not the next. We have to be able to recruit the right transfers and show something to justify these more talented players choosing us. 

We can win without 5-stars, but we can't base our hopes and dreams on those long shots. Gotta eval, develop, and coach much better on gameday

This is pretty much where we are.

Just get the defense back to average and keep the production of offense and we have something to sell.

45 minutes ago, victory88 said:

No he didn’t.  He actually wanted to come here because he likes Austin and playing here only helps his own Tik Tok “fame”.  He also likes our offense.  The problem is we lost to Kansas and didn’t even make a bowl game and set new records for all time lows with our 6 game losing streak.

And forget all of that.  The main reason he isn’t coming here is because aggy threw enough money at the guys running his recruitment that they couldn’t say no.  Had we done the same, he’d be in burnt orange.  But apparently our BMD think players should feel lucky to play at Texas and that we are above playing the bag game.  I know CTJ says he expects some unexpected news on NSD indicating we’re playing the game but I’ll wait to see it to believe it.  If we are, we’re quite terrible at it.

Following this program right now, and for the last 12 years, has been like enduring the Bataan Death March of college football fandom. I don't know if there was much optimism versus matter-of-fact expectation of normal. That all gets thrown aside when Ole Miss-like efforts from ATM show up and they're throwing money around that makes Bama and Georgia blush.

30 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Collins likes football. He doesn't like catching offensive linemen to try and maintain 2 gaps, like it's 1986, all so that a fucking spare like Brockermeyer can still be late to the play or worse being pulled from the game for playing behind the LOS and being disruptive. 

My opinion is that Collins is a strong transfer candidate for reasons you state and I know.

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ovie Oghoufo. Ray Thornton. Devin Richardson. Ben Davis. Realistically, these are the kinds of guys you get when you go portal shopping. They were starters, but they all have significant flaws and weren't enough to offset the loss of Ossai and Graham.

How many teams have engineered this kind of turnaround from the Portal, anyway? Mel Tucker at Michigan State comes to mind, any others?

It's been year 0 of the portal. Maybe allow some more time and experience for programs and players before we declare the premise of building through the portal to be specious. 

25 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Per CTJ source we should have around 5 high profile players we get right before signing day. Should we start making guesses or assume his source is wrong?

There is no "source", for me or others. You age and things happen. Friends get promoted or build something relevant. You get involved enough and with enough interest and money and you meet others doing the same. Networks get developed. Maybe. You have to get a little lucky on some of it.

Regardless, nothing about recruiting is concrete, ever. Add to that the variables right now of Sarkisian being new in role, being terrible at holding his staff accountable, Bilbo and the aggie try-hards getting wildly desperate and concerned about missing a window, the corona year being unlike anything for CFB and CFB recruiting, and ATM having fully opened the Texas gateway to SEC cheating that is now fully matured and you wind up with shit that no one can soundly predict. What I post is worth what you are paying me, so DM if you feel entitled to a refund.

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That was last week and probably included Dewberry, Banks, Campbell, and maybe Stewert. And we're probably gonna whiff on all of them.

I bullshitted this week and nothing looks right for us at this point. Apparently, the UT staff really did believe they'd land a bunch of the guys they're whiffing on, all the way through this season, and didn't work hard on secondary and tertiary plans. Herman also did this. Texas is about to whiff incredibly on almost all of the front line 2022 recruits they've targeted, most of the first wave of transfers they're targeting, and they're flat-footed on other options. 

To help out here, there were no specific player names. Stewart wouldn't have been one that I would have believed and I've always seriously doubted the viability of landing Dewberry. Campbell may wind up being the one remaining blue chip that Texas somehow signs. I'm guessing I'll get punished by the football gods for hoping for as much though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Is he a highly ranked recruit?  If so then cut bait.  Is he a 2-3 star recruit who is also looking at Sam Houston State and North Texas then maybe we have a shot if the stars align.

See, I’m trying not to take that tack again. I don’t follow ANY recruit’s Twitter stuff, so all I can go off of is the reports that he’s been one of the most firm prospects thst the staff has had in the works this past year. But, it seems that when the snowball gets to rolling downhill, it gains so much steam that it’s inevitable to get out of the way or get run over. Hopefully, this is one of the kids that simply wants to make his mark as a keystone to turning the program around instead of riding the wave of other classes

I think we need more portal players than lower tier HS kids. There are going to be many more portal options than last year. Those players are interested in playing time and we've got it. We need to take a higher percentage of portal players if we're going to miss on top HS targets.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

No he didn’t.  He actually wanted to come here because he likes Austin and playing here only helps his own Tik Tok “fame”.  He also likes our offense.  The problem is we lost to Kansas and didn’t even make a bowl game and set new records for all time lows with our 6 game losing streak.

And forget all of that.  The main reason he isn’t coming here is because aggy threw enough money at the guys running his recruitment that they couldn’t say no.  Had we done the same, he’d be in burnt orange.  But apparently our BMD think players should feel lucky to play at Texas and that we are above playing the bag game.  I know CTJ says he expects some unexpected news on NSD indicating we’re playing the game but I’ll wait to see it to believe it.  If we are, we’re quite terrible at it.

No, the problem is that we are not paying like the big time programs. And we will not win until the problem is fixed.

8 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

I got roasted and accused of being a sheep humper when I assumed the Dewberry kid was aggy bound. 

Does anyone have any tangible evidence that Devon Campbell is still within grasp, or is it time to cut bait?

A) You weren't Cassandra for thinking that Dewberry was going elsewhere. You haven't been on this board long enough to even whine like that, you fucking baby. Most posters on this board have known for 8 months that that guy isn't coming here. You don't win any awards for showing up and acting as if you're enlightening us with that premise.

B) "Tangible evidence"? In recruiting? You don't appear to have a fucking clue what you're doing around here. Negged. You should go to the fucking football board or Orangebloods and find a crowd more to your liking.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At this point maybe better to tank a recruiting class or two just to accelerate the firing of this bum Sark. Can't game plan, can't make adjustments, and can't recruit. He's adding zero value to the program and the sooner we cut bait the better. Gary Patterson is there for the taking to fill in.

At first after reading about the new NIL deal I allowed myself to be optimistic again. Then, the reality that we hired the wrong coach and we are going the way of Vanderbilt before we are forced to fire him and start over sunk in again. It’s best if you abandon all hope now. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

At this point maybe better to tank a recruiting class or two just to accelerate the firing of this bum Sark. Can't game plan, can't make adjustments, and can't recruit. He's adding zero value to the program and the sooner we cut bait the better. Gary Patterson is there for the taking to fill in.

calm down al pacino GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Mostly everyone is right here.  I do want to point out that I firmly blame this athletic department and the people in charge.   I will continue to repeat myself that until this athletic department prioritizes winning over revenue, we will always suck.  

We’re supposed to be the big swinging dick right?  When was the last time we lured in a good coach or coordinator?  You just watched two shit shows in LSU and USC show us how it’s done.  We threw a market value offer that every coach is now getting to Meyer and got turned down publicly.  Then privately we got turned down by every other coach until we resorted to hiring a fucking twice failed recovering addict that hasn’t won shit at a discount price.  This program has fallen so far.  Look at the south end zone.  It sucks.  Everything this athletic department tries to do, fucks this program worse.  You think they’ve helped what so ever with NIL?  Our AD continuous gets in the way of this program being successful.  

CDC needs to be in charge of all other sports and we need to bring in a guy that knows football.  Why the fuck so you think Meyer wanted his own football AD that wasn’t CDC? Look at aggy, they fucking hired the Ole Miss AD after they got caught cheating.  They know what they need to do to become successful.  Make fun of that midget all you want, but he’s putting together a fucking badass class and they’re about to land two more 5 stars.  They’ve got an elite DC that’s developing talent and they are pushing the narrative that they are about to take Bama’s spot as the top dog and their win against them is making these recruits buy in along with the cash they are dropping.

I’m just so sick of watching this AD drag this program down.  After realignment 10 years ago, they could have positioned our program to be better, instead they chased the fucking dollars with LHN.  They stayed in a dying conference.  They let our facilities become outdated and then reconstructed our end zone into a pathetic empty uterus.  We play a shit schedule, with shitty coaches, with a shitty game day atmosphere, with entitled players that suck outside of two players.  I’m a fucking die hard Longhorn fan of 20 years and I’ve never been so disappointed.  Looking at our recruiting is a direct reflection of what the best players and even mediocre players think of us, we suck.  And now we are hoping to have some shitty players from the portal help us fix this bc they cannot sell anything worth shit to good high school recruits.  

Rant over, TLDR, fuck everything. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Fire everybody and hire a guy that just got fired for sucking, that's your plan? Sark ain't getting fired anytime soon so maybe you should look at another perspective.

• Hook 'Em 4

I hate to be "satya-esque" but I see Texas getting jack shit in terms of HS 22 top prospects and also from the portal. Just seems like the Texas coaching staff either is A) used to being able to land every 5 star they want at Alabama without really trying, B) terrible at closing kids or C) both

Just a perfect storm of shit. Add in the expected 6-7 win season next year and this shit isn't getting better anytime soon

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

That's dumb. Hiring a new coach won't do shit until we fix shit internally. $300K for Stewart vs. what exactly? Who in their right mind would choose Texas over $300K?

Any Jr. or Sr. who is transferring, should be a starter on their own team.  These are the small school/shitty program guys who want more exposure and to win on a bigger stage.  We probably aren't getting a sniff from most of them because we fucking suck.  If a dude isn't starting by this point in their careers, they aren't going to be much help.  See all of the Defensive transfers we brought in for proof.  There are exceptions, but outside of quarterbacks there had better be a really good explanation about their lack of playing time up to this point in their careers.

2 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I don't see it suggested very often.  I see tons of dumbfuck "fire da corch!" suggestions, as if we don't have enough evidence by now to see what playing musical coaches gets you.  At some point you have to just make a choice and stick with it.

And you think this is the choice we should stick with?

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're going to get run over in the portal as well. Look around. They've got oodles of immediate playing time offer multiple positions and they're whiffing repeatedly. This shit is systemic with this staff. Sarkisian is incompetent as a lead guy, and he's not holding his staff accountable. Texas missing on Devin Brown and seeing him head to OSU to ride pine, knowingly, for potentially multiple years, is the clearest canary in the coal mine anywhere here should be looking for at this stage. Light the cigarettes, boys, as we've already been fucked.

Have we already lost in the portal? Most of them aren't committed yet, right? Plus lots of players haven't entered yet who will. 

20 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

no you didn't. everyone here assumed he was aggy bound.

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It's the end of Year One.  We need to play the hand we have, the best we can.  Staff turnover has real costs to player development, an area we demonstratedly suck at and something we absolutely need to fix.

Maybe think about how do we improve this staff instead of starting over again.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're going to get run over in the portal as well. Look around. They've got oodles of immediate playing time offer multiple positions and they're whiffing repeatedly. This shit is systemic with this staff. Sarkisian is incompetent as a lead guy, and he's not holding his staff accountable. Texas missing on Devin Brown and seeing him head to OSU to ride pine, knowingly, for potentially multiple years, is the clearest canary in the coal mine anywhere here should be looking for at this stage. Light the cigarettes, boys, as we've already been fucked.

Only one choice, offer Pete Carroll something he can’t refuse! Kidding. 

For those of you still thinking the portal will be the solution, we are in a dog fight for a UNLV linebacker and a backup OL from Minnesota who just got processed by Fleck. The talent on the roster is going to get worse before it’s get better I think. 

• Like 1

USC and LSU (and Aggy to some extent) have shown us that when you have the money, don't be coy about going after a proven coach from a top tier program if you want a quick turnaround. We keep hiring coaches that are gettable for $5-6M a year as if we are hurting for cash. Sure you can get lucky sometimes but when was the last time our program got lucky?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

No, we should fire the coach after one season.  That's definitely the right move.  Good coaches will be lining up to come here, thrilled to know they'll have one whole fucking season to put their system in place.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Mostly everyone is right here.  I do want to point out that I firmly blame this athletic department and the people in charge.   I will continue to repeat myself that until this athletic department prioritizes winning over revenue, we will always suck.  

We’re supposed to be the big swinging dick right?  When was the last time we lured in a good coach or coordinator?  You just watched two shit shows in LSU and USC show us how it’s done.  We threw a market value offer that every coach is now getting to Meyer and got turned down publicly.  Then privately we got turned down by every other coach until we resorted to hiring a fucking twice failed recovering addict that hasn’t won shit at a discount price.  This program has fallen so far.  Look at the south end zone.  It sucks.  Everything this athletic department tries to do, fucks this program worse.  You think they’ve helped what so ever with NIL?  Our AD continuous gets in the way of this program being successful.  

CDC needs to be in charge of all other sports and we need to bring in a guy that knows football.  Why the fuck so you think Meyer wanted his own football AD that wasn’t CDC? Look at aggy, they fucking hired the Ole Miss AD after they got caught cheating.  They know what they need to do to become successful.  Make fun of that midget all you want, but he’s putting together a fucking badass class and they’re about to land two more 5 stars.  They’ve got an elite DC that’s developing talent and they are pushing the narrative that they are about to take Bama’s spot as the top dog and their win against them is making these recruits buy in along with the cash they are dropping.

I’m just so sick of watching this AD drag this program down.  After realignment 10 years ago, they could have positioned our program to be better, instead they chased the fucking dollars with LHN.  They stayed in a dying conference.  They let our facilities become outdated and then reconstructed our end zone into a pathetic empty uterus.  We play a shit schedule, with shitty coaches, with a shitty game day atmosphere, with entitled players that suck outside of two players.  I’m a fucking die hard Longhorn fan of 20 years and I’ve never been so disappointed.  Looking at our recruiting is a direct reflection of what the best players and even mediocre players think of us, we suck.  And now we are hoping to have some shitty players from the portal help us fix this bc they cannot sell anything worth shit to good high school recruits.  

Rant over, TLDR, fuck everything. 

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!

Also please don’t steal my fuck everything schtick 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Idk if that’s the answer but go off sis 

s reactions please GIF

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

For those of you still thinking the portal will be the solution, we are in a dog fight for a UNLV linebacker and a backup OL from Minnesota who just got processed by Fleck. The talent on the roster is going to get worse before it’s get better I think. 

The UNLV LB seems to be highly thought of judging by the offers he's been pulling in. I agree on Dunlap.

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

USC and LSU (and Aggy to some extent) have shown us that when you have the money, don't be coy about going after a proven coach from a top tier program if you want a quick turnaround. We keep hiring coaches that are gettable for $5-6M a year as if we are hurting for cash. Sure you can get lucky sometimes but when was the last time our program got lucky?

Agree, I would rather have had Brian Kelly too.

But we are where we are.  This is the bet we made.  Not supporting it to the best of our ability in Year One will only hurt our program going forward.

We have to play out this hand and figure out how to make it better.

Just now, TriStone said:

No, we should fire the coach after one season.  That's definitely the right move.  Good coaches will be lining up to come here, thrilled to know they'll have one whole fucking season to put their system in place.

I am not suggesting we fire the coach but this coach has not excelled in anything to date giving me hope that he can turn things around. He needs a lot of help. Getting a coach like Patterson is paramount imo. If you are CDC, you have to be strategic about it. Get Patterson to the 40 acres in whatever capacity you can and have him advise the DC and HC or even let him be the DC or make him the associate HC. Have a backup plan in place just in case Sark shits the bed next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting