Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Siap...

Texas Commit Malik Agbo Selected to 2022 Polynesian Bowl    By Tomer Barazani 

On Wednesday, elite offensive lineman and Texas commit Malik Agbo was selected to play in the 2022 Polynesian Bowl.

The Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer High School product chose the Longhorns over the Auburn Tigers, Oklahoma Sooners, and LSU Tigers.

Agbo spoke about this tremendous achievement:

"It really means a lot. This is something I really look forward to, especially seeing guys from years past be part of something special like this."

He continued, "I watched it before and guys like Demond Demas, Justin Flowe, and Myles Murao are big names that I know of that have been in the game before.”

Coming from a small town, Agbo also expressed how much of an honor it is to also be named an All-American:

"It's really big for me to be an all-American, especially being from Federal Way, and my high school Todd Beamer, where talent is very little, so I think it’s really cool for me and everyone that I’m close with too."

The Polynesian Bowl is set for January 22, 2022, in Honolulu Hawaii.

In addition to Agbo, offensive coordinator/offensive line Kyle Flood was able to construct a talented offensive line class for 2022.

Flood’s additions include Kelvin Banks, Neto Umeozulu, Cole Hutson, Cameron Williams, and Connor Robertson.

In the near future, the Longhorns will prioritize recruiting Devon Campbell and Earnest Greene.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Anyone else notice how Oklahoma players are so often aggrieved by Texas?

Money. Women romancing each other. Mack Brown’s hugs. Less likely to win a NC at Texas (then we did). There are many more examples  

I can’t ever remember reading about how troubled one of our signees was by how Oklahoma recruited them. Maybe OU just always negative recruits the shit out of us, spanning generations. And of course, anyone who would attend that pile of shit is a mental midget. That’s the actual root of the problem. 

Too bad McKenzie is such a bitch. 

rent free.  now if we can just get an actual football team to perform on the football field.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You know McKinzie’s Gooner dumb ass daddy put him up to that interview. I’m not mad at the kid. Good luck and I hope you lose every game to Texas. 

Not to beat a dead horse but we recruited much better than OU. Why on earth would we want to change what works?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Wasn't OU kicking our recruiting butt before Oregon & OU both lost their coaches?!

So you would change our recruiting tactic to mention NIL less? After we finished in the top 5 in the country following a losing season? And after our offensive line haul proved the the NIL system works? I guess that’s a plan.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Not sure if it’s been aske but does anyone have the times and channels when the HS all American games are being aired?

UA game is tomorrow at 1pm central on ESPN.  Army game is Jan 8th at 12pm central on NBC.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, T3SL4 said:

Team Legend OL vs DL including Neto and Devon Campbell:  https://youtu.be/IV4Fr7TXMn8

Team Icon OL vs DL including Kelvin Banks, Jaray Bledsoe, and Justice Finkley:  https://youtu.be/Az_vMOVuJiI

Dewberry looks damn solid.  Nolen is going to be a monster.  Neto probably just needs some more weight/strength and will be very good.  Campbell stonewalled Bear lol

• Like 1

Also sometimes a player can only effectively play one side.  I was a right CB in football -- tried left CB a couple of practices and my coach started bitching at me saying "get your ass back over to right CB where you belong".
I could only do left, right seemed completely wrong to me. Thankfully only did corner my Freshman year, free safety for the next 3 years.

But back to the point, some players can truly play left or right side equally well, most cannot...or have a side thats more natural for them.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ousux said:

I could only do left, right seemed completely wrong to me. Thankfully only did corner my Freshman year, free safety for the next 3 years.

But back to the point, some players can truly play left or right side equally well, most cannot...or have a side thats more natural for them.

I played WR and A-back. I was comfortable crushing it at a high rate of speed on all parts of the field. 

• Haha 6

Regarding Looch, I often ask myself:
A) is he just putting on this Texas hate act as part of his job? or
B) does Texas live completely rent free in the wide open spaces of air in his head?
I have concluded the answer is most definitely B. 
The answer is and always will be B, but he does make a pretty nice living fleecing his fellow aggy with things they love to hear..

9 minutes ago, D3zii said:

He has the talent but probably has to get acclimated. That’s a big jump going from lower level Texas HS football to All-Americans. .

And it looks like he’s out of shape  

Yeah not eligible to play football this past fall has definitely slowed his progress... still unbelievable talent

• Like 1

(Includes good note on Neto.)

Under Armour All-America Game: Five guys who improved their stock this week
GREG BIGGINS

Spoiler

Under Armour All-America Game: Five guys who improved their stock this week
GREG BIGGINS

This year’s Under Armour All-America Game is loaded and the top rated prospects in the event haven’t disappointed.

This year’s wide receiver corp is incredibly strong and guys like Evan Stewart, Luther Burden and Chris Marshall have dominated every day. Defensive lineman Walter Nolen is a freak and Travis Hunter has shown why he’s such a generational talent.

Saying that, we’ve also seen a few lower rated players flash on a consistent basis this week and the tape and production backs up what we have seen live.

Final rankings for the ’22 class will be out later this month and here’s a look at five players who will definitely be in the discussion for a bump before we close the book on this class.

Andrew Ivins, Allen Trieu, Chris Singletary and Brian Dohn contributed to this article

ROBERT SPEARS-JENNINGS (OKLAHOMA SIGNEE)

(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)
Robert Spears-Jennings, Broken Arrow (Okla.)- Oklahoma Signee

Spears-Jennings is rated the No. 266 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite but has an 88 Rating and is the No. 42 ranked safety by 247Sports. He has been very impressive all week and has all the physical tools you love to see in a next level safety. He’s right around 6-01.5, 200 pounds and has played a lot of corner this week in team drills and looked very good in coverage. He made our Top Performers list following day one where he had several pass breakups showing really nice ball awareness. He then surprised us winning the fastest man competition with a 4.49-40 clocking and that speed shows up during the one on one and team drills as well. He’s a two-way player for Broken Arrow and made plays as a receiver as well as at safety and is someone Sooner fans should be very excited about.

STONE BLANTON (SOUTH CAROLINA SIGNEE)

Stone Blanton, Madison (Ms.) Madison-Ridgeland Academy- South Carolina Signee

This isn’t a shot at anyone, but it’s common to see at post-season All-American games, a lot of players sitting out with an ‘injury’ that seems a little suspect. Every day there has been multiple players under the tent getting treatment and then there’s Blanton. He’s playing with two banged up shoulders but still running around and banging on guys like it was a high school playoff game. He looks all of 6-2, 225 pounds, moves really well and has shown high level instincts. He looks comfortable playing in space, dropping in coverage and we know he can rush the passer after he racked up 11 sacks to go with 125 tackles as a senior. He’s already on the four-star bubble with an 89 Rating and is the No. 42 ranked linebacker by 247Sports.

POPEYE WILLIAMS (LOUISVILLE SIGNEE)

Popeye Williams, Westfield (Ind.)- Louisville Signee

Williams is rated the No. 350 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite and is a high end three-star with an 87 Rating and the No. 35 edge rusher by 247Sports. Williams has had a strong week and made our list of Top Performers twice this week. It’s tough to imagine there being 34 better edge rushers than Williams and he looks a natural pass catcher who could play early for the Cardinals. He’s an athlete with a burst, has a nice edge in his game and has the frame to easily pack on as much weight as Louisville wants to put on him, without losing any of his quickness.

NETO UMEOZULU (TEXAS SIGNEE)

Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Texas)- Texas Signee

Umeozulu is not just a four-star but in the Top247 at 216. Saying that, he looks like someone who should be closer to the top 100 than the back end of the 247. He made our Top Performers list on Friday and has shut down some very good defensive linemen this week. He has showed off his versatility, playing multiple spots along the line and even though we like him as a guard in college, he some of the best feet in this event. He’s a highly competitive kid as well and while others tend to stand in the back during one on ones, Umeozulu has been willing to take on anyone. He needs to continue to get stronger to stand up to some of the bull rushers he’ll see but he shows some nice upside for sure.

AARON ANDERSON (ALABAMA SIGNEE)

Aaron Anderson, New Orleans (La.) Edna Karr- Alabama Signee 

Like Umeozulu, Anderson is also a four-star inside the Top247 at No. 162 but is definitely deserving of a rankings boost. He tweaked his hamstring a bit and was only able to work out on day one but was VERY good that day. He has a really nice combination of both short area quickness and long speed as well as change of direction. He’s a track guy with 10.7-100m speed and could easily run past just about anyone but understands how to set up a corner, how to change speeds and then has the hands to finish. He had a monster senior year as well and should be a guy capable of returning punts/kicks for Bama early in his career and has a ton of game breaking ability. 

OTHERS OF NOTE:

- Antonio Williams, WR, Irmo (S.C.) Dutch Fork- Clemson Signee

Williams is rated the No. 130 player nationally in the Top247 and the No. 21 wide receiver as well. You can make a case he has been as impressive as any receiver this week and has been a lot of fun to watch. He has been a standout every day and was our Alpha Dog on Friday after yet another impressive workout. He creates easy separation and is one of the best pure router runners out here. He has strong hands and has made multiple one handed grabs this week and not show but out of necessity to make the catch. He’s very quick in and out of his breaks and has tremendous ball awareness and body control. He’s another guy we think should be in that top 100 conversation.

- Maurion Horn, ATH, Broken Arrow (Okla.)- Texas Tech Signee

It’s always tough for running backs to stand out during Bowl game practices but Horn has moved around and played all over this week. He’s a two-way player for Broken Arrow and also plays corner and had one of the catches of the week on Friday with a diving snag during one on ones. He’s a four-star outside the Top247 and is the No. 16 rated athlete in the country.

- AJ Duffy, QB, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy- Florida State

Duffy has been the top quarterback in each practice this week and then won the accuracy challenge earlier today with a score of 44. For context, the next closet to him was Conner Weigman with a score of 14. Duffy’s best qualities are probably his football IQ and overall feel for the position, so it’s not surprising that he would be the guy to come in and have the least amount of trouble picking up a new offense on the fly. Physically, his arm has looked good and he has drawn raves from his the Team Icons coaches for his deep ball accuracy as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting