Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

10 hours ago, RGBIII said:

They absolutely cannot lol

Correct me if I wrong, but each state has passed its own NIL laws and while there's a lot of similarities, there are differences as well.  I will admit that I haven't delved too far deeply into what's allowed state by state.  In any event, there's a lot of room to discuss what is meant by "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" and I would flag that OU has this on their own website:

• The OU Athletics Department will provide student-athletes with financial literacy, brand building, and other educational workshops focusing on the areas of NIL through its partnership with Culture Wins.

https://soonersports.com/sports/2021/6/30/name-image-likeness.aspx

I am sure OU can frame its discussions of "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" as one of these totally legit and open "brand building and other educational workshops" and the NCAA ain't gonna do shit.  Moose out front shoulda told ya, the NCAA is out of the policing payments to football players game.  Call it "decriminalization" and not "legalization." 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:I am sure OU can frame its discussions of "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" as one of these totally legit and open "brand building and other educational workshops" and the NCAA ain't gonna do shit.  Moose out front shoulda told ya, the NCAA is out of the policing payments to football players game.  Call it "decriminalization" and not "legalization." 

Yes. In the same way they framed letting Adrian Peterson drive a Big Red Sports Lexus for months without paying anything  as him just borrowing a car because that’s normal. 

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Correct me if I wrong, but each state has passed its own NIL laws and while there's a lot of similarities, there are differences as well.  I will admit that I haven't delved too far deeply into what's allowed state by state.  In any event, there's a lot of room to discuss what is meant by "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" and I would flag that OU has this on their own website:

https://soonersports.com/sports/2021/6/30/name-image-likeness.aspx

I am sure OU can frame its discussions of "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" as one of these totally legit and open "brand building and other educational workshops" and the NCAA ain't gonna do shit.  Moose out front shoulda told ya, the NCAA is out of the policing payments to football players game.  Call it "decriminalization" and not "legalization." 

I understand where you’re trying to come from here, but it’s wrong. This is a logical take for someone who hasn’t delved too deeply into this shit. As someone who has waded into this shit…

1) as I’ve stated before, there are state laws, but the laws this would violate are the national, universal laws not the state ones. An example of a state law is that no players can get NIL to support Vice industries (I think that’s a Texas thing). 

2) The things you cite as OU having on their website, specifically financial literacy, is ALSO REQUIRED at the national level. So they have to offer those things, and therefore it’s fine to put on a website. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I understand where you’re trying to come from here, but it’s wrong. This is a logical take for someone who hasn’t delved too deeply into this shit. As someone who has waded into this shit…

1) as I’ve stated before, there are state laws, but the laws this would violate are the national, universal laws not the state ones. An example of a state law is that no players can get NIL to support Vice industries (I think that’s a Texas thing). 

2) The things you cite as OU having on their website, specifically financial literacy, is ALSO REQUIRED at the national level. So they have to offer those things, and therefore it’s fine to put on a website. 

Has Congress passed federal legislation on NIL?  Serious question, I know that the NCAA lobbied for it and I think some was introduced but I had not seen any national level legislation actually passed on NIL. 

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Has Congress passed federal legislation on NIL?  Serious question, I know that the NCAA lobbied for it and I think some was introduced but I had not seen any national level legislation actually passed on NIL. 

Well, when I say national or federal, I really mean the national ncaa laws. That being said, a bipartisan bill was proposed in September, hearings were held in October, and its supposed to get a vote sometime in the next few months.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2021/10/01/congress-holds-hearing-creating-federal-nil-law

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

And that seems like what we’ve been missing. Of all the talk about Finkley seeing the field next year, Tapp may be more important.

You’re conflating things a bit here. Tapp has the higher ceiling as an elite edge rusher, but he’s super raw and will need time to gain weight and learn technique. Finkley’s very physically developed and ready to go from that standpoint. Finkley’s also more of a SDE while Tapp is a WDE. 

So if we’re talking about next year, Finkley is the impact recruit. Long term, it could very well be Tapp but he’s much less of a sure thing.

They’re a great pairing together at edge from a recruting standpoint because of their varied styles and ceilings. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

From listening to Gerry and Bobby’s latest podcast, Finkley looks like he is a very physical player who could come in and give immediate impact setting the edge against the run, but they have questions about him having the tools to be a plus pass rusher. They said to watch how Tapp plays in the game this weekend against high level competition but his projection is a possibly elite edge rusher. 

They also said Jaray Bledsoe is a physical and athletic freak who looks like the kind of D-linemen that UGA and Bama recruit, but who is extremely raw and has little technique or understanding of pass rushing moves and counter moves beyond an initial burst.  Mentioned he is such a small town kid that he didn’t realize he needed ID to get on a plane to fly to Florida and that’s why he was late to the practices last week.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

From listening to Gerry and Bobby’s latest podcast, Finkley looks like he is a very physical player who could come in and give immediate impact setting the edge against the run, but they have questions about him having the tools to be a plus pass rusher. They said to watch how Tapp plays in the game this weekend against high level competition but his projection is a possibly elite edge rusher. 

They also said Jaray Bledsoe is a physical and athletic freak who looks like the kind of D-linemen that UGA and Bama recruit, but who is extremely raw and has little technique or understanding of pass rushing moves and counter moves beyond an initial burst.  Mentioned he is such a small town kid that he didn’t realize he needed ID to get on a plane to fly to Florida and that’s why he was late to the practices last week.

Tapp is the best athlete the staff is bringing in on the edge. His ceiling is the highest of the Edge players. It is rather odd he gets the least hype of the edge recruits. I am not convinced that any of them will be able to be effective vs the run on a day 1. I think that is a bit of an optimistic outlook. 

36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Finkley’s very physically developed and ready to go from that standpoint. So if we’re talking about next year, Finkley is the impact recruit. Long term, it could very well be Tapp but he’s much less of a sure thing.

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Finkley looks like he is a very physical player who could come in and give immediate impact setting the edge against the run

They've also compared his motor, consistent technique, and play strength to Byron Murphy. Those are the floor setting traits that got him on the field early, and why they expect Finkley will as well, especially given the need. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Don't know if congress has passed anything,  but curious if the IRS is going to get involved now with all the pub around NIL.  

Also,  with as much bag money that is being reported it would seem like they might look at that.  

If aggy boosters did spend $3million + in bag money for this class it should pretty easy to track it down.  

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Tapp is the best athlete the staff is bringing in on the edge. His ceiling is the highest of the Edge players. It is rather odd he gets the least hype of the edge recruits. I am not convinced that any of them will be able to be effective vs the run on a day 1. I think that is a bit of an optimistic outlook. 

Ethan Burke is a D1 LAX prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Finkley has a chip on his shoulder and the strength/technique combo to overcome physical shortcomings. He’s also a physical/smart player. He’s likely not a longhorn without those physical shortcomings. 

Tapp played both ways for his team and is athletic, but needs a ton of development. He’s a boom or bust guy. 

I’d love to see Burke at one of these things. He needs more strength and technique, but I think he’d open some eyes. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm personally very worried that Tapp may lack the athletic hand-eye coordination to catch a ball with a net at the end of a stick. Seems pretty important for an edge rusher.

It is very important if you want to get laid by white women named Skylar.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Every time one of my kids makes me take some “which house at Hogwarts would you be sorted into?” quiz, I’m in Slytherin. I assume most people here would drop comfortably and quietly into Hufflepuff. 

Who knew you and South Austin's mom both loved big snakes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Every time one of my kids makes me take some “which house at Hogwarts would you be sorted into?” quiz, I’m in Slytherin. I assume most people here would drop comfortably and quietly into Hufflepuff. 

I have no clue what the hell you're talking about and I'm OK with that.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I'm starting to become concerned about the numbers in House Hufflepuff, quite frankly.

• Haha 5

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting