Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I get people being "meh" on Winfield. He doesnt possess any special trait. I think the bigger issue is he is one of 2 WR commits, If he was the 3rd-4th guy I dont think anyone would be saying much. That isnt to knock him, because a smart, good route running, and sure handed WR is a huge need for Texas. That is harder to see, unless you really go down the rabbit hole with film. I sure as hell am not going to put that effort in, so I have no idea if that describes him. 

With a healthy Omeire, Winfield and other "possession" receivers wouldn't seem to be quite as critical this cycle. But given his knee issues, what are the chances Omeire can get onto the field and stay there? I presume not great. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

With a healthy Omeire, Winfield and other "possession" receivers wouldn't seem to be quite as critical this cycle. But given his knee issues, what are the chances Omeire can get onto the field and stay there? I presume not great. 

Omeire is the Bigfoot of Texas football. He is this mythical beast that nobody has actually seen. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Armani isn’t alone in people hating on certain WRs this year. I think Sark and Bama have a lot to do with that. What makes a great college and NFL WR has changed recently. But in a year with very few elite, prototypical NFL WRs, we have seen a lot of kids jump on pure speed or simply by being a DeVonta Smith look alike. I like Stewart but he is not a clear #1 guy. I think you could take any one of the top 20 kids and come away thinking you got the best WR in the class. 

I am actually shocked at some of the negative reactions now to people like Kevin Coleman and Hudson. These guys have not changed in over a year but the evaluations have considerably. It still comes down to your system. That’s my only hope with Sark. Dude knows what type of WR he wants. Now whether or not he can get them is the issue. But he should be throwing caution to the wind and trying to find kids in TX that fit his profile. That is what changes when coaches get here. They change their profile to fit the kids at the top of the rankings. If he can’t find 2 or 3 kids in this state to run his offense, he deserves to be fired. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Omeire is the Bigfoot of Texas football. He is this mythical beast that nobody has actually seen. 

No shit. Not only that, he had big question marks as a recruit and had the mobility of a baby giraffe. Then, the staff, via Carrington, starts hyping him during his freshman summer because he looked good in the workouts. So then Nahlin, Ketchum and 247 start talking the guy up to their readerships. Then the dude gets hurt. New staff comes in, he recovers and practices, there's no hype. Then he gets hurt again. 

Frankly, I've been dubious that the guy was ever worth a fuck on the field and now I'm at the point where I'll be shocked if he ever plays a meaningful snap at Texas. He damned sure shouldn't be in anyone's calculations as a future asset within the WR group. Dude is a wild card at best.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The speed queens on this board and others are the worst offenders. They don't want good to real good receivers that can thrive in the underneath to mid range passing game.

Lil Jordan certainly wasn't the fastest WR but he was really fucking good for us.  I'm fine always taking a guy in that mold.

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone posted this elsewhere from FCB, tangentially recruiting related (facilities). Can you fit 1-2 outdoor fields in that spot alongside an indoor facility or are we going to be the dumbasses that put our indoor facility a 15 minute walk away from outdoor fields?

Spoiler

Last week I mentioned Texas buying Dobie 21 and plans to move the McCombs School of Business over to the Dobie complex, which could lead to the school of social work moving from just south of DKR to where McCombs is currently located on Speedway.

That would free up the property where the school of social work is located currently for a new indoor football practice facility (between the student recreation center just south of DKR and the Jamail Swim Center).

COMMENTS
A few more details:

The new McCombs School of Business would actually be built where the Dobie garage is currently located (yeah, the same garage you’ve parked in all these years to go to movies or eat at Dobie). It will be about a four-year project.

So for Texas athletics to have any shot of building a new indoor football practice facility just south of DKR before 2025, UT would have to find an interim home for the school of social work (until the new McCombs School of Business is constructed).

I’m told from a source close to the situation, “It’s not out of the question that could happen. But there’s no guarantee just yet. Nothing moves quickly at UT when it comes to things like this.”

Stay tuned.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No shit. Not only that, he had big question marks as a recruit and had the mobility of a baby giraffe. Then, the staff, via Carrington, starts hyping him during his freshman summer because he looked good in the workouts. So then Nahlin, Ketchum and 247 start talking the guy up to their readerships. Then the dude gets hurt. New staff comes in, he recovers and practices, there's no hype. Then he gets hurt again. 

Frankly, I've been dubious that the guy was ever worth a fuck on the field and now I'm at the point where I'll be shocked if he ever plays a meaningful snap at Texas. He damned sure shouldn't be in anyone's calculations as a future asset within the WR group. Dude is a wild card at best.

I seem to remember people on these birds calling him “slo-miere “ and giggling when he was an aggy commit.  

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think he could be a medical retiree

Nahlin:

Despite the disappointing dawn to the Sark era, there’s still opportunity for the staff to foster momentum down the stretch and sign a surprisingly good class. 

UT will always hold an advantage as the flagship school in an extremely talented state. That advantage isn’t the same as LSU, Georgia, or USC, but it’s still one of the best recruiting advantages in the nation. As I've written, there are permanent benefits to recruiting at Texas.

With UT comes the proximity advantage, which beyond the obvious aids in relationship building, as well as an academic advantage UT holds over most institutions that take football seriously. Books and ball, as Texas commit and Alabama native Justice Finkley, coined, works in UT’s favor. 

Beyond the quasi-permanent state of the program, there’s a variable state that is unique to every cycle. This state is comprised of the tension between on-field play, recruit perception, quality of recruiters, and the same at rival schools. 

While poor play on the field is a headwind, and feels quasi-permanent after the last decade, the program has a surprising amount of positives variables working in its favor as the cycle nears the early signing period on December 15th.

Playing time: This is one of the main factors recruits consider. Playing time is to athletes as academics are to parents. If Sark gets his turnaround correct, he'll never have another opportunity like right now to sell playing time. Game 1 playing time is available at every position except running back. In particular, playing time is a siren song for elite prospects who have the confidence and raw ability to compete on arrival.

Playing time is the driving factor behind UT's chances with myriad difference makers. Even if playing time isn't immediate, being on the two deep is still attractive. 

Offense: Despite being limited at every offensive position save running back, Steve Sarkisian's offensive design has proved mostly effective. There are things he could have done better, but for the most part his proof of concept has carried over from Alabama to the point the perception is "he just needs his guys." Indeed, he's probably a consistent quarterback away from having a much different inaugural season. 

In particular, this offense is attractive to quarterbacks and wide receivers, but it all starts with the run-game up front. There isn't a position on offense Sark didn't have a great schematic pitch for while at Alabama. The scheme pitch is still there, though the on-field example leads us away from "you're going to get drafted" to "you're going to play early." 

Portal: The ability to export chaff and import more scarce commodities helps in the immediate because it allows Sarkisian to take an aggressive rebuilding posture at a time a roster remake is clearly needed. Being able to sell the roster overhaul that accompanies 33 new players works in favor of perception. It helps recapture the new car smell the staff was close to capitalizing on upon arrival but couldn't.

NIL: The staff has been able to impart on high profile recruits the many ways current UT athletes are monetizing their Name, Image, and Likeness. It isn't really our business what the marketable players are making, but we've heard some numbers that we're confident would catch the attention of remaining targets.

Like the portal, NIL should benefit Texas as much, or more than any other program. As we wrote last summer, grand NIL doings are in a race against time to help with the 2022 class. We're not sure NIL will be a major needle mover in the class, but it will be a net benefit. Over time, UT is going to win its share of battles when NIL becomes the tie-breaker between two otherwise evenly matched recruiting pitches.

Fans might be holding their collective breath waiting for "big" NIL news, but IT believes NIL is right on track to help make a difference in recruiting.

Sark's long leash: While the Kansas loss may have brought out some of the Daywalkers in search of their annual vial of coach's blood, the Texas admin has covered Sark in garlic. We can debate whether or not they should be taking a public stance in support of the head coach they recently hired (I think it's unnecessary), the truth of the matter is Sarkisian will be given more latitude to get things right than his two predecessors. Those saying "he better get defense right next year or he's gone" are misguided. Assuming Sark's offense holds up its end of the bargain, he'll be given ample time to right the defense and overall program. 

When combining these factors, one can discern the fundamentals are in place to finish the recruiting cycle in stronger fashion than one would expect if they simply looked at the record. 

Texas will not win out for all of its remaining priority targets, but its share thanks to the reasons listed above.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

NIL: The staff has been able to impart on high profile recruits the many ways current UT athletes are monetizing their Name, Image, and Likeness. It isn't really our business what the marketable players are making, but we've heard some numbers that we're confident would catch the attention of remaining targets.

This part stands out and I think an area we should improve. If we have some athletes with big deals that aren’t being publicized or reported to media then we’re doing a disservice to ourselves. That’s free advertising for recruiting 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Right now, our roster at WR (minus walkons) regardless of position is:

Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Dixon, Omeire, Woodard, Alexis, *Money.

Of those guys, I would think these last two games is the last we will see of Dixon and Woodard. Omeire is an unknown on if he sticks around or ever sees the field, and Money will have his scholarship yanked if it hasn't been already. That leaves a room of 3 to 4 scholarship receivers in a predominately 3 wide offense, with Whittington being oft injured. We theorize that Thompson will factor in immediately barring injury, and with that depth it would be hard to envision Winfield not seeing the field next year in some capacity. Omeire can't be counted on for anything at this point, so we would need to find at least two and probably three more contributors in either the portal or with a late take. With Stewart looking like a lost cause at this point we are going to need some Worthy level juju in the portal again this year at that spot. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Right now, our roster at WR (minus walkons) regardless of position is:

Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Dixon, Omeire, Woodard, *Money.

Of those guys, I would think these last two games is the last we will see of Dixon and Woodard. Omeire is an unknown on if he sticks around or ever sees the field, and Money will have his scholarship yanked if it hasn't been already. That leaves a room of 3 to 4 scholarship receivers in a predominately 3 wide offense, with Whittington being oft injured. We theorize that Thompson will factor in immediately barring injury, and with that depth it would be hard to envision Winfield not seeing the field next year in some capacity. Omeire can't be counted on for anything at this point, so we would need to find at least two and probably three more contributors in either the portal or with a late take. With Stewart looking like a lost cause at this point we are going to need some Worthy level juju in the portal again this year at that spot. 

I think I posted on this thread a month or two ago that I believed Texas would have 6 new WRs on the roster for 2022. I still believe that. They're going to land 3-4 signees and 2-3 transfers. They pretty much have to do so. I don't know if Dixon should be written off yet, but I guess we'll see.

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I seem to remember people on these birds calling him “slo-miere “ and giggling when he was an aggy commit.  

I can tell you that I absolutely happy that he was heading to ATM and thought it was bust city for Texas when signed here. I never believed the bullshit hype any more than I did the nonsense about Card. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin:

Despite the disappointing dawn to the Sark era, there’s still opportunity for the staff to foster momentum down the stretch and sign a surprisingly good class. 

UT will always hold an advantage as the flagship school in an extremely talented state. That advantage isn’t the same as LSU, Georgia, or USC, but it’s still one of the best recruiting advantages in the nation. As I've written, there are permanent benefits to recruiting at Texas.

With UT comes the proximity advantage, which beyond the obvious aids in relationship building, as well as an academic advantage UT holds over most institutions that take football seriously. Books and ball, as Texas commit and Alabama native Justice Finkley, coined, works in UT’s favor. 

Beyond the quasi-permanent state of the program, there’s a variable state that is unique to every cycle. This state is comprised of the tension between on-field play, recruit perception, quality of recruiters, and the same at rival schools. 

While poor play on the field is a headwind, and feels quasi-permanent after the last decade, the program has a surprising amount of positives variables working in its favor as the cycle nears the early signing period on December 15th.

Playing time: This is one of the main factors recruits consider. Playing time is to athletes as academics are to parents. If Sark gets his turnaround correct, he'll never have another opportunity like right now to sell playing time. Game 1 playing time is available at every position except running back. In particular, playing time is a siren song for elite prospects who have the confidence and raw ability to compete on arrival.

Playing time is the driving factor behind UT's chances with myriad difference makers. Even if playing time isn't immediate, being on the two deep is still attractive. 

Offense: Despite being limited at every offensive position save running back, Steve Sarkisian's offensive design has proved mostly effective. There are things he could have done better, but for the most part his proof of concept has carried over from Alabama to the point the perception is "he just needs his guys." Indeed, he's probably a consistent quarterback away from having a much different inaugural season. 

In particular, this offense is attractive to quarterbacks and wide receivers, but it all starts with the run-game up front. There isn't a position on offense Sark didn't have a great schematic pitch for while at Alabama. The scheme pitch is still there, though the on-field example leads us away from "you're going to get drafted" to "you're going to play early." 

Portal: The ability to export chaff and import more scarce commodities helps in the immediate because it allows Sarkisian to take an aggressive rebuilding posture at a time a roster remake is clearly needed. Being able to sell the roster overhaul that accompanies 33 new players works in favor of perception. It helps recapture the new car smell the staff was close to capitalizing on upon arrival but couldn't.

Like the portal, NIL should benefit Texas as much, or more than any other program. As we wrote last summer, grand NIL doings are in a race against time to help with the 2022 class. We're not sure NIL will be a major needle mover in the class, but it will be a net benefit. Over time, UT is going to win its share of battles when NIL becomes the tie-breaker between two otherwise evenly matched recruiting pitches.

Fans might be holding their collective breath waiting for "big" NIL news, but IT believes NIL is right on track to help make a difference in recruiting.

Sark's long leash: While the Kansas loss may have brought out some of the Daywalkers in search of their annual vial of coach's blood, the Texas admin has covered Sark in garlic. We can debate whether or not they should be taking a public stance in support of the head coach they recently hired (I think it's unnecessary), the truth of the matter is Sarkisian will be given more latitude to get things right than his two predecessors. Those saying "he better get defense right next year or he's gone" are misguided. Assuming Sark's offense holds up its end of the bargain, he'll be given ample time to right the defense and overall program. 

When combining these factors, one can discern the fundamentals are in place to finish the recruiting cycle in stronger fashion than one would expect if they simply looked at the record. 

Texas will not win out for all of its remaining priority targets, but its share thanks to the reasons listed above.

bbbwwwwaaaaaaa.  

Smoke Weed GIFs | Tenor

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

It's crazy that Bigfoot receivers are a thing at Texas. Shipley, Whittington, Omeire, and I am sure we could list off others. Shipley eventually stayed healthy. Jury is obviously out on the other two. 

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It's crazy that Bigfoot receivers are a thing at Texas. Shipley, Whittington, Omeire, and I am sure we could list off others. Shipley eventually stayed healthy. Jury is obviously out on the other two. 

You have at least seen JWhitt play. You know he is actually a good WR when healthy. Literally everything about Omeire is propaganda. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This part stands out and I think an area we should improve. If we have some athletes with big deals that aren’t being publicized or reported to media then we’re doing a disservice to ourselves. That’s free advertising for recruiting 

If the staff is telling recruits the numbers anyway, not sure it really matters that it's public. Either way they hear what they need to know.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think I posted on this thread a month or two ago that I believed Texas would have 6 new WRs on the roster for 2022. I still believe that. They're going to land 3-4 signees and 2-3 transfers. They pretty much have to do so. I don't know if Dixon should be written off yet, but I guess we'll see.

I'd personally hang onto Dixon. He's looked solid and is still a young guy with room for development. Feel like he's already more reliable than Moore tbh.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Never, NEVER besmirch the ghost by mentioning him in the same breath as those other two ever again.

I am not saying the play is comparable, but there was a time when we wondered if Shipley would ever stay healthy and contribute. Then he became great. I would love for the other two to become great. Whittington has made some pretty good plays, and we all knew of his potential when he arrived on campus.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

If the staff is telling recruits the numbers anyway, not sure it really matters that it's public. Either way they hear what they need to know.

I'd personally hang onto Dixon. He's looked solid and is still a young guy with room for development. Feel like he's already more reliable than Moore tbh.

I don't think Dixon is a flight risk because he isn't good enough, I think it may be an attitude issue with him. Sarkisian mentioned in his press conference this week about how he has players tiered from 1 to 3 according to their level of buy in. I get the sense that Dixon is in the low 2 to 3 category. The most damning thing you can say about Dixon this season is that he hasn't found his way onto the field with the trainwreck unfolding in front of him. 

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It creates perception, right now perception publicly is we sucked at NIL. If you can do something to create positive public perception do it. It’s free advertising to everyone not just in this class but future classes. 

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin:

LMAO, Nahlin going straight for Casey Thompson.  No surprise.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think Dixon is a flight risk because he isn't good enough, I think it may be an attitude issue with him. Sarkisian mentioned in his press conference this week about how he has players tiered from 1 to 3 according to their level of buy in. I get the sense that Dixon is in the low 2 to 3 category. The most damning thing you can say about Dixon this season is that he hasn't found his way onto the field with the trainwreck unfolding in front of him. 

From what a poster on IT said who has a good source within the team is that Dixon’s issues aren’t attitude. It’s the mental side of the game, he is struggling with the playbook and knowing what to do within the offense. He’s a guy I’d hold onto and develop because he has the physical tools. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From what a poster on IT said who has a good source within the team is that Dixon’s issues aren’t attitude. It’s the mental side of the game, he is struggling with the playbook and knowing what to do within the offense. He’s a guy I’d hold onto and develop because he has the physical tools. 

Thats an indictment on his position coach

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I hope that is the case, he has all of the tools to be a good player and very productive in this system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm feeling pretty, prettaaaaayyy good about 2022 QB, personally. At least the betting part of it.

How're you seeing the situation unfold there? Sorry if you've gone on about it prior to this week,  I've been in the fetal position crying for a month.

Edited by UncleBuck

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

How're you seeing the situation unfold there? Sorry if you've gone on about it prior to this week,  I've been in the fetal position crying for a month.

Thompson and Card will be gone or relegated to irrelevance and Ewers or Brown or some other better QB will be the guy taking the snaps. I bet closetohumping $1000 on it.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong here, but on 3rd and 1 in the stoops/Riley era of smooth buttfuckings have they ever thrown the ball over the top when we sold out to stop the run? We wanna dare Lincoln Riley to try a 50/50 ball against our DB’s for a 70 yard TD pass? Are you guys fucking retarded? With Kansas throwing for 410 yards we are still holding opponents to 230 yards passing a game. PK has committed to stopping the pass. We aren’t even close to being talented enough to stop both lol. We are giving up 30 more yards a game this year than last year with Ash and more talented players. We suck. Period. We have sucked on defense since muschamp left. We fire a top 5 DC and we might as well hire some asswipe from here who thinks they know everything. 

I'd rather keep PK unless Muschamp or a handful of others is coming  onboard. If they hang onto these front 7 commits he will have some new players to work with. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Neverminding Nahlin, why should anyone be even vaguely protective of Major Appleblack at this point? He's a JAG fortunate enough to be on a roster with a bigger JAG with a penchant for panicking. 

I'm feeling pretty, prettaaaaayyy good about 2022 QB, personally. At least the betting part of it.

Oh is that right?  I better check under gramma's mattress to see if she has a grand hidden under there.

Back to Casey, I find it funny that Nahlin goes right after him when he threw money behind Card.  

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thompson and Card will be gone or relegated to irrelevance and Ewers or Brown or some other better QB will be the guy taking the snaps. I bet closetohumping $1000 on it.

I can't see Brown starting ahead of Casey, at least not game 1.  Injuries to either side nulls the bet right.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin:

Love it.

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Oh is that right?  I better check under gramma's mattress to see if she has a grand hidden under there.

Back to Casey, I find it funny that Nahlin goes right after him when he threw money behind Card.  

Yeah, that site has been the only site that beats the ever loving shit out of the dead horse that is Thompson/Card debate and it all stints back to them pumping up Card as "Aaron Rodgers" according Justin Wells. Gerry and Nahlin being giddy all off season and into fall camp. Them announcing the NIL deal the same day as he was named starter even though it was done weeks prior. Their posters are brain dead about it as well. Couple all that with every chance they get to knock Thompson they completely do while making excuses for Card.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Neverminding Nahlin, why should anyone be even vaguely protective of Major Appleblack at this point? He's a JAG fortunate enough to be on a roster with a bigger JAG with a penchant for panicking. 

I wouldn’t call Card a JAG at this point, he’s much worse than a JAG.

• Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I didnt see him go after him. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting