Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Humidor:

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

A still bought-in Texas squad heads to Morgantown but many fans are already focusing on potential coaching changes (yes, they're coming) and recruiting.

Team ahead of WVU

There's still plenty of fight in this team, and many are noticing a source of that fight comes from the younger players (Byron Murphy, Xavier Worthy). That's bad for this year, good for next.

Practices are still energetic. Most of the players are giving good effort. If you dropped in from outer space you wouldn't know this team has lost five games in a row.

The players with bad attitudes aren't as numerous as the public perceives. The issue is too many players look like Tarzan and play like Jane. There are also trust issues as Burton mentioned on Thursday. And of course team IQ is too low. This is on top of the coordination issues we've mentioned over the last week. None of that gets fixed in a week.

Linebacker Jaylan Ford will likely start at linebacker versus the Mountaineers. The widely held sentiment is he should lock down a spot in the spring, could eventually become an impact player, and he's great for the locker room. He may be UT's best hope for finding an instinctive, vocal leader, basically what the position requires and what UT hasn't had enough of over the years.

Darion Dunn will start in place of an injured Josh Thompson. Dunn has all the tools, except ball skills. He puts himself in position but struggles to convert opportunities into turnovers. Hopefully he's ready because Jarret Doege might throw him a meatball.

Staying or leaving

A number of Texas players will have the option to return for one final year or leave early. Along with the team underwhelming, a numerous individual players who expected to have breakout seasons did not. Most of these players are leaning one way or the other with a decision yet to be made. We'll continue tracking these players going forward.

CB Josh Thompson: The corner had a solid season and already fit NFL size/athleticism specs. The physicality he displayed this year will give him a good ceiling as a safety if corner doesn't work out in the NFL. With his injury, we feel confident Josh T. has played his final game at Texas.

CB D'Shawn Jamison: Jamison did not display the improved consistency we were hoping to see at corner. He was at times dangerous as a returner, and that has caught the eye of NFL scouts. He's had his share of scouts come through and check him out. At this time, no decision has been made. He seems to go back and forth. A return is possible and would be big for the program as corner depth could help the staff address issues elsewhere in the secondary.

DB BJ Foster: We do not expect Foster to return but have not heard that definitively.

DB Anthony Cook: The nickel had a pretty strong year in his first season as an entrenched starter. He's heavily considering returning to Texas. His thinking per a source is, "It's not the right time. We're not done yet."

LB DeMarvion Overshown: Overshown is probably leaving, but like Cook, he doesn't want to go out like this. There's a chance he returns but we'd call it slight.

DL Keondre Coburn: One source thinks he's leaving and another thinks he's staying. So, we're not sure.

DL T'Vondre Sweat: Sweat is another player we're monitoring. There's some talk he may depart, and maybe not necessarily for an NFL training camp.

While fans may not see individual ability, partially due to unit struggles, who knows what scouts and agents are telling them.

These decisions are in a constant state of flux, not unlike recruits getting ready to pick a school. We'll continue monitoring as best we can.

We also know of a few guys who will hit the portal in search of playing time. We'll keep those names private until after the season.

Are coaching changes coming?

Yes, we feel strongly a change or two will be made. We feel a lot of options are on the table for Steve Sarkisian. We don't want to speculate further, especially with the season ongoing and National Signing Day less than a month out.

Weeks or maybe months ago we mentioned we expected some changes in the personnel department. That remains the case.

Arch Manning

The bad news is, Texas has absolutely opened the door for Georgia. The good news is, the On3 No. 1 player in the 2023 cycle and his circle account for numerous aspects of the decision beyond the football field. Arch doesn't need to step into a program that is already winning at a high level. He doesn't need to step in and start. He does want to feel confident that whatever program he joins has the chance to win at a high level. This Texas season has not inspired that confidence.

One thing to watch closely is how well UT finishes the 2022 recruiting cycle, especially at offensive line. A strong class would give the O-line two years to develop before Manning took the reins, assuming he didn't start as a true freshman. The Mannings certainly understand the value of a good offensive line and right now UT doesn't have that.

Recruiting Matters

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023: The former Horns verbal commit put on a show in last night’s win over Lindale (326 yards rushing, four touchdowns). He’s also still a priority for the Texas staff, who stay close with the elite tailback. UT and Georgia seem to be pushing the hardest right now. Expect the the five-star pop to return to Austin for Junior Day early in 2022.

WR Matthew Golden, Cain (Klein, TX) - 2022: The former TCU pledge will be in town for the Texas-Kansas State contest next week. He’s also looking at using an official visit to Austin in December. IT would place Baylor at the front of the pack heading into the next visit. Golden has serious interest in making an official to LSU should the next coach want Golden.

IOL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, Wash.) - 2022: For those wondering, Agbo is a take for the Longhorns. IT has been told Agbo is not a take for Auburn as of today, where the 6-foot-5, 320-pounder most recently made an official visit. A person very close to the Auburn program believes Texas could be emerging as the team to beat barring a change. The only way Agbo would not end up being a take for Texas is if the staff shot the moon on Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Kam Dewberry, and Neto Umeozulu. As of now, there's a solid chance Agbo ends up in the class.

IOL Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.) - 2022: Georgia and Ohio State continue to be the teams to beat over Texas and USC. Greene is scheduled to be at Alabama this weekend. IT believes this is a long shot for the Longhorns.

OL Harris Sewell, Permian (Odessa, TX - 2023: One of the state’s top offensive lineman for 2023 recently returned to Austin for a visit, and even though OU and Notre Dame look strong early, UT is chipping away at the west Texas stud. One thing that really helps the Horns is Arch Manning. Both stay in touch and Sewell could see himself blocking for the five-star.

DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) (TCU) - 2022: The current TCU commit has been a name of note lately with the four-star and Texas rekindling old flames. You could see some movement next week with the Golden Triangle product as IT believes he could still end up in UT’s Class of 2022. Texas will want a decision sooner rather than later. Gulibeau has a really solid relationship with TCU defensive backs coach Jeremy Modkins, which is a potential hold up for Texas.

Guilbeau is one of two potential flip candidates IT is monitoring closely.

Has a program ever blown major leads for the #1 overall/QB recruit in consecutive years before? Astounding level of incompetence 

But the OL point is worth highlighting. We HAVE to land some of these elite OLs bc it’ll help with Arch too. Any and all resources, if they exist, should be OL focused at this point. 

Edited by Tex-19

Card will probably transfer to a school we laugh at then become all conference and get drafted because we can’t have nice things. 
200.gif

I’m not sure what school he could go to that gets laughed at more than Texas?
I heard he was a silent, but that's just me.... or is it?  $9.95, please.

The thing about silence is you don’t hear it.
Arch is going to be another Hudson Card 

“He won’t be that good” - [mention]Horns56 [/mention]

RE: Early departures IT mentioned, I feel like Cook is thinking what Overshown should be and vice versa. The primary knock on Cook would be measurables, which won’t significantly improve with another year. I’d love for him to come back but I don’t see it doing him much good. Overshown could really help himself with a year of better tape. He should probably come back.

I’m surprised to see the bit on Sweat but if that ends up being true, there are plenty of young guys that want to be here and will need his reps. Not sure why the NFL even enters Coburn’s mind tbh.

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Yeah, Kam is trolling v hard—he has A&M written all over him. Even if we do land Kam, there’s a good chance that he’s Javonne Shepherd 2.0

Little chance of Shephard 2.0.  Kam's the real deal with his head screwed on straight. Wherever he goes he'll be a multi-year starter there. I'm just hoping it's us.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nabors doesn’t have an offer, at least publicly on 247

He doesn't. I mean, I guess it's not out of the ordinary to see a team build momentum with a guy down the stretch, offer him and get the immediate flip and commit, but I'd be curious to know what clappy's hearing, or what I missed.

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Little chance of Shephard 2.0.  Kam's the real deal with his head screwed on straight. Wherever he goes he'll be a multi-year starter there. I'm just hoping it's us.

Heard Kams team has a sophomore DT that is an absolute stud and a LT who may be better than Kam in the 2023 class 

10 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Coming here at this juncture would cast doubt on this statement.

Three things that put me in the "we have a chance" category based solely on internet stores over his recruitment... he'd prefer to stay closer to home, his mom seems to really like Texas, and he absolutely hates being compared to Kenyon Green - he wants to be his own person and take his own path.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Three things that put me in the "we have a chance" category based solely on internet stores over his recruitment... he'd prefer to stay closer to home, his mom seems to really like Texas, and he absolutely hates being compared to Kenyon Green - he wants to be his own person and take his own path.

I definitely hope he comes here, that’s for sure.  It’s just that if I was a 5 star with NFL aspirations I wouldn’t touch this program with my worst enemy’s dick.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I refuse to click on this clickbait bullshit and I encourage others to do the same. Fuck the AAS with this fake sensationalist shit. 

If you don't want to go to AAS, here's a link to HornFM interview with Brian Jones today.

Right at beginning -- starts at 3 minute mark

DFW radio too... link to audio below

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jones is FOS. The fact they asked him to provide an example and he declined shows he’s just looking for attention. The Statesman gave it to him because they are losers.

If you listen to entire HornFM clip, Brian Jones apologizes to Joshua Moore for false comments he made about Joshua last week.  Not sure why BJ is running his mouth so hard about this stuff right now -- feels like a way to get more attention just like Manny does.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If you listen to entire HornFM clip, Brian Jones apologizes to Joshua Moore for false comments he made about Joshua last week.  Not sure why BJ is running his mouth so hard about this stuff right now -- feels like a way to get more attention just like Manny does.  

Agree. I really hate the I can’t give specifics, because I love this University and want to protect it, but I am going to to hint at something and let you imagine something worse 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Agree. I really hate the I can’t give specifics, because I love this University and want to protect it, but I am going to to hint at something and let you imagine something worse 

While that was annoying, do we think he’s lying? I’m not surprised he didn’t say anyone’s name in the radio. 

16 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

While that was annoying, do we think he’s lying? I’m not surprised he didn’t say anyone’s name in the radio. 

Yes, I think he's lying.  I mean maybe some idiot told him something but it's nonsensical on its face.    Vince Young, a fucking black QB, delivered every BMD the greatest fucking moment of their sports life.   Were some of them telling Mack he should play Garret Gilbert?  Oh Sark may hear input on personnel from these slapdicks but it has nothing to do with race.  If someone "meddled" saying Card should be playing after Baylor, that's called being pissed off at losing 3 games with big lead with shit 2nd half QB play.  I doubt anyone is "meddling" for Card to play more after that shitshow of a performance last week or entire 2nd half against ISU.   Seriously - F Brian Jones for throwing out the race card on top of this joke of a season.  It's ludicrous.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 5

I mean think about it, what positions could he even be talking about? The only questionable white starters are Schooler, Brock, and Card when he plays. Does he really think some BMD gives a shit about starting a fucking converted WR Schooler at Safety or former walk-on Brock at LB? Yeah fucking right.

So literally Card the only possibility but he's not even the starter and only came back in because Casey couldn't hit the ocean from a boat against ISU.

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't believe he is lying. See below.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/01/ut-eyes-of-texas-donors-emails/

Around 75 people in emails explicitly threatened to stop supporting the school financially, calling on the university to take a heavier hand with students and athletes they believed were disrespecting university tradition by protesting it.

"It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor who graduated in 1986. Their name was also redacted by UT-Austin. "It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

Trying to cancel the EOT was wrong. But some of these responses from BMDs is even worse. They're grown ass adults for fuck sake and they should do better.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Danny Davis is saying this you know Brian Jones fucked up

Seriously, if you're going to throw out that kind of accusation you better have proof.  Otherwise, shut the fuck up.  Why is UT media the fucking worst and constantly trying to actively hurt the program?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting