Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

DAMMIT! I should have posted my theory yesterday. Would have looked like a genius. The big clue was the lame ass Moore apology. It's still saved in the editor:

This I don't get. In the same interview he spent like a minute publicly apologizing to Joshua Moore for being too critical of him. My 100% speculative theory:  Jones exchanged DM's with Moore, or his mom, or the parent of some other disgruntled player. They looked at Schooler and Brockermeyer playing, and/or Card being named starter, and baked some dumb conspiracy theory connecting playing time to skin color. While pointing to the EOT controversy to make it sound more plausible.

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Well, the  Brian Jones stuff didn’t really matter before, but it definitely doesn’t now.

The only thing that matters is that this team stinks.

If the guy is really openly talking about transferring, we should want him to leave anyway. That’s part of the housecleaning we have to do. 

I’m excited about Devin Brown if we land him, MM has supposedly looked better, and of course there’s the portal. 

Interesting thought - Brown is a top 60 recruit who ranked higher than Ewers at Elite 11 and who hasn’t spent this season gathering rust. Could he actually be a better option than Ewers for next year?

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

The thing that sucks is that this is not gonna work out and we all know it. This is the exact same stuff that Scott frost says after every game. We are doomed.

Right. We hired a coach who should never have received consideration for the job. It worked out exactly as it should have. The question is: how long will we continue paying for it?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Won’t happen but Sark needs to make himself a de facto OC and Recruiter. Hire a GM-type to take some off-field HC work off his plate and free up time to focus exclusively on the offense/QBs. Replace PK with a DC who brings more fire and leadership (hello Muschamp).

We know he’s a good OC but he obviously can’t spend as much time there right now. He needs to change that to at least get one side of the ball humming. I don’t even want to see him on the sideline when the D is on the field. He should be at the bench talking to the QBs and game planning the O. 

Basically, know what you’re good at and take advantage of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Won’t happen but Sark needs to make himself a de facto OC and Recruiter. Hire a GM-type to take some off-field HC work off his plate and free up time to focus exclusively on the offense/QBs. Replace PK with a DC who brings more fire and leadership (hello Muschamp).

We know he’s a good OC but he obviously can’t spend as much time there right now. He needs to change that to at least get one side of the ball humming. I don’t even want to see him on the sideline when the D is on the field. He should be at the bench talking to the QBs and game planning the O. 

so he should go back to being an OC instead of a HC. got it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He actually is worse than Strong.   We’re already grasping at the “maybe he could hire someone else to be de facto head coach” straw in year 1.   I feel like it took until year 2 with Strong after the Notre Dame game before I started seeing those posts in earnest.

It’s not even debatable, about to be 4-8 and lost to Kansas at home, literally worse than any Strong year

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He actually is worse than Strong.   We’re already grasping at the “maybe he could hire someone else to be de facto head coach” straw in year 1.   I feel like it took until year 2 with Strong after the Notre Dame game before I started seeing those posts in earnest.

Chuckie Strong left a roster that won a Sugar Bowl. Would guess there’s a <5% chance Sark has that kind of success. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

so he should go back to being an OC instead of a HC. got it.

Sorta. That's maybe a bit of an exaggeration. Basically just saying he needs to hand off some of his other duties so he can spend more time on the offense. That's the highest-value use of his time.

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Sorta. That's maybe a bit of an exaggeration. Basically just saying he needs to hand off some of his other duties so he can spend more time on the offense. That's the highest-value use of his time.

is it? he was hired to be the head coach at the university of texas. the highest-value use of his time would be to figure out how to be good at that job. if that path includes abdicating some of his head coaching responsibilities, it’s a tacit admission that he should never have been hired for the role in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

is it? he was hired to be the head coach at the university of texas. the highest-value use of his time would be to figure out how to be good at that job. if that path includes abdicating some of his head coaching responsibilities, it’s a tacit admission that he should never have been hired for the role in the first place. 

Well clearly it's not something I'd be saying if he was doing a great job. But there are different flavors of HC - hands off CEOs like Mack, Coordinator types like Lincoln, do-everything guys like Saban, etc. There's no one set of responsibilities that every HC has to handle. Sark needs to realize that at this point, he isn't a "do-everything" guy. He needs to hire good people to take shit off his plate, then spend time on the offense. That's still calling the shots as a head coach, just a different flavor of it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Won’t be for brown 

8 minutes ago, TXRed said:

I’m guessing they’ll have more than one transfer out. Stroud isn’t going anywhere. 

It may still be a factor. Stroud likely goes pro after next year which means at least one of McCord/Ewers probably sticks around waiting their turn. With those guys being only 1 class older than Brown, that's still a tough path to playing time. If I had to guess, he'd be waiting at least two years to start.

Casey and his dad treating the entirety of the college athletics experience like Game of fucking Thrones has been such a beating.  Allowing this guy to play politics with the QB room over the years is inexplicable ineptitude.  Grateful Sark has the balls that Herman never had to cut bait on them both, although I suspect things will only get uglier from here before he's fully kicked out.  Out of Rising, Jackson, and Thompson, we let the better ones go for a locker room cancer that is nowhere near good enough on the field to outweigh the trouble.  Being a self absorbed little bitch is what brings out the race baiting, not that there's any specific truth to it.  Losers that start to struggle will go to any lengths to save some face.  Stooping that low out of self interest has to have a damaging effect on the rest of the team, especially those that have deeper connections with the guy... Several upperclassmen come to mind

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Out of Rising, Jackson, and Thompson, we let the better ones go

We didn’t “let” those guys go, they wanted out. Thompson is just the one who stayed.

Jackson made a mistake though, he definitely would be playing right now, and it wouldn’t have been for Herman and his staff, who he had beef with.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

We didn’t “let” those guys go, they wanted out. Thompson is just the one who stayed.

Jackson made a mistake though, he definitely would be playing right now, and it wouldn’t have been for Herman and his staff, who he had beef with.

At linebacker or running back? There's no chance he's executing Sark's offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Rising and C Thompson entered the portal within a week of each other, and one of them rescinded after the other took off.  There was plenty of staff interaction during that time and if you think the coaches didn't have some sway on the end result then there's another dull knife in the drawer 

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I'm not sure he would be playing. He was a better fit for Herman's offense than Sark's and even then a lot of us wanted him at LB

Just now, victory88 said:

Charles Thompson is a fucking sooner moron.  Even last year, he was spouting to Chip that Casey was better than Sam but just wasn’t getting opportunities from the staff.  All year, he’s been running his mouth to the media.  Casey, I’m happy you waited for your chance, but you can fuck right off too with you me wishy washy attitude about transferring.  This kid has had one foot out the door and the only reason he hasn’t transferred is because no school of Texas’s caliber is giving him a chance bc he simply is not very good.

Casey was a recruit that basically got most of his offers due to the 7 on 7 team he played on.  He was close with some good recruits and teams thought he may influence some of those guys to play together.  Ou didn’t even as much offer him a walk on spot with his dad and brother being players there.  Casey’s next best option after Texas was UNC.  We took Cameron Risen after Casey committed bc even our coaches knew he was a project.  He tried to transfer after his first year but no decent school was offering him a spot.  I’d be surprised any power 5 school offers him a spot unless they are desperate for a QB.  He’s had every opportunity this year to seize the job, hell the coaches wish he would take the fucking job but he sucks.  Don’t let the stats fool you, his stats this year are a reflection of our offensive system and Worthy balling out.  I’m sure he’s a great guy, but he’s not a team player.  His dad and him have selfish motives and it’s hard for his dad to understand that his son is simply as talented as he thinks he is.

You're over selling it, OU offered him and lightly pursued him prior to getting Rising to commit. Once Rising flipped, they went back to him again.

He's not a project, projects are high-ceiling, low-floor types. He's a short, low football IQ, weak-armed mobile QB without much room for improvement. He likely would have been better in Herman's offense.

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm not sure he would be playing. He was a better fit for Herman's offense than Sark's and even then a lot of us wanted him at LB

He was a better fit for Mike Yurcich’s offense, not even Herman’s offense.  Casey ran the same systems Yurcich runs in high school.  He’s comfortable with it.  He is not a good fit at all with what we want from that position in Sarks offense.  

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

At linebacker or running back? There's no chance he's executing Sark's offense.

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Thompson and Card both suck, if Sarkisian had another plausible option, he would’ve went to it.

12 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Rising and C Thompson entered the portal within a week of each other, and one of them rescinded after the other took off.  There was plenty of staff interaction during that time and if you think the coaches didn't have some sway on the end result then there's another dull knife in the drawer 

Just because Thompson was the one they could convince to stay does not mean they preferred him over Rising.

Rising was the more coveted guy out of high school, I doubt Thompson wowed them enough in practice to flip the script on that. Especially since according to reports, Thompson is not a good practice player.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Thompson and Card both suck, if Sarkisian had another plausible option, he would’ve went to it.

Just because Thompson was the one they could convince to stay does not mean they preferred him over Rising.

Rising was the more coveted guy out of high school, I doubt Thompson wowed them enough in practice to flip the script on that. Especially since according to reports, Thompson is not a good practice player.

Rising went to Utah knowing full well he would have to wait a couple of years and then perform to start, same as here at UT.  Our coaches could have put their efforts into securing one and not the other, rather they went with the "try to keep both" approach while not seeing the Thompson play for what it was, a fucking play.  Like you said, Thompson didn't have the pick of a better situation, Rising had more variety of options.  Assuring him of a post-Ehlinger future and letting Thompson go and maybe even calling the bluff was something they could have done, but for whatever reason, didn't execute on it.  QB room management is one of the most important things in football, and now we're left with 2 shitty QBs competing for losses and mediocrity with the more tenured guy emptying lockers, threatening portal action and generally just throwing shit fits when he doesn't get his way .  Beating OU probably was the thing ol' Chucky and Casey wanted most, and I'm not surprised the offense and rest of the team have been in freefall since the choke job.  Now they're in all out fuck it mode and we're left with race card bullshit accusations involving donors, coaches and team "leaders" during a 6/7ish losing streak

Card seems to have his own stans with some influence lurking around too, not that it fucking matters now.  It's all a shit show

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Sure hope Devin Brown wants playing time because he was at tOSU today for the show they put on

that's a four year sit. how can watching a freshman QB do that combined with a crowded qb room make you want to go there

Edited by alphahorn

When it comes to parents and entitled kids, just think about your own parent experiences in your kids’ little league, junior football, or junior basketball.

Parents are absolute idiots when it comes to their kids. They have blinders on about their kids’ abilities.  

Now take that and multiple by 100 when talking about a D1 college athlete. Our football coaches must have to deal with 40 dads bitching every year about their snowflakes’ lack of playing time. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

I think it is more of last call thing. It’s last call at the bar. There is a skinny girl and a fat girl. Skinny girl had choices. Fat girl went back home and ate chocolate 

Edited by Codaxx

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

If he had as much self pride as Ed Price he would do the right thing and resign.  

He’s a good OC when he has a lot of talent., that in no way correlates to being a good HC.  Job 1a is recruiting, job 1b is hiring great fucking assistants and replacing them when they suck/get hired away.  

23 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

He’s a good OC when he has a lot of talent., that in no way correlates to being a good HC.  Job 1a is recruiting, job 1b is hiring great fucking assistants and replacing them when they suck/get hired away.  

Recruiting isn't his problem and never has been. We have a top 10 class right now despite a 4-7 record and without a bag game. Imagine if we were winning and/or playing the game. It wasn't his problem at previous stops either.

Still think he did well on his offensive assistants (except Coleman). The offense will be good in due time.

The defensive assistants have obviously bombed. The position coaches always seemed like strange choices, other than Bo. And hiring them before the DC was a headscratcher (I guess he thought he had Muschamp). But then the PK hire seemed to be a great one. Womp womp. We'll see if he can correct the problem this offseason now that they've officially sucked.

I think the problems (excluding the roster itself which is a problem) are defensive staff, team mindset, and S&C. Maybe practice structure/habits, obviously idk what they do there.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Recruiting isn't his problem and never has been. We have a top 10 class right now despite a 4-7 record and without a bag game. Imagine if we were winning and/or playing the game. It wasn't his problem at previous stops either.

Still think he did well on his offensive assistants (except Coleman). The offense will be good in due time.

The defensive assistants have obviously bombed. The position coaches always seemed like strange choices, other than Bo. And hiring them before the DC was a headscratcher (I guess he thought he had Muschamp). But then the PK hire seemed to be a great one. Womp womp. We'll see if he can correct the problem this offseason now that they've officially sucked.

I think the problems (excluding the roster itself which is a problem) are defensive staff, team mindset, and S&C. Maybe practice structure/habits, obviously idk what they do there.

That top 10 ranking is fools gold, We will end up ~15.   We have 22 committed where many teams both above and below us have 16-17.  Having 30% more recruits committed skews that ranking.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

That top 10 ranking is fools gold, We will end up ~15.   We have 22 committed where many teams both above and below us have 16-17.  Having 30% more recruits committed skews that ranking.  

We're still in on some big names but sure, who knows where we'll end up this class. Regardless, I will stand by my position that Sark's recruiting ability is not his problem. He's got a strong track record in that department both as HC and OC. Win 8-9 games, play the game even moderately, and we'd have a top 5 class with him at the helm.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Well clearly it's not something I'd be saying if he was doing a great job. But there are different flavors of HC - hands off CEOs like Mack, Coordinator types like Lincoln, do-everything guys like Saban, etc. There's no one set of responsibilities that every HC has to handle. Sark needs to realize that at this point, he isn't a "do-everything" guy. He needs to hire good people to take shit off his plate, then spend time on the offense. That's still calling the shots as a head coach, just a different flavor of it.  

he’s been a head coach before at multiple stops. he should have figured this out by now.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

We're still in on some big names but sure, who knows where we'll end up this class. Regardless, I will stand by my position that Sark's recruiting ability is not his problem. He's got a strong track record in that department both as HC and OC. Win 8-9 games, play the game even moderately, and we'd have a top 5 class with him at the helm.

you know who else won 8-9 games and pulled top 5 classes? mensa. sark’s problem is that he is not a good coach.

• Hook 'Em 2

BJ foster, Casey Thompson and his dad are actively trying to burn Texas to the ground and we are still saying Sark should have found a way to have a good season. That makes a lot of sense. The defensive leader and offensive leader of the team being cancerous pieces of shit seems like a super good situation to start your tenure. Carry on. #Traylor2024. #He’sTheAnswer. Lulz 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting