Carville: Democrats have a wokeness problem

Buzzrock

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

if I can die knowing that the larger Democratic voterbase has moved away from Clintonian economic and criminal justice visions then that will please me greatly

Although I am a CJ reform crusader, at least around here, I'm actually willing to give Clinton (and Biden) a bit of a pass on VCCLA.  That was 25+ years ago, when only the most foresighted could see what the War on Drugs was doing.  We had big problems with crack and coke generally, it was legitimately pretty scary at some level.  Crime is reliable politically and there wasn't, as there is today, a viable position other than "tough on crime," the only question was how far were you willing to go to be tough.  Only hindsight bias and the fullness of time have shown what a wretched thing was the VCCLA.

I have a bit of a tougher time with Kamala, for example. As a current liberal politician, she should have known better and I think chose the politically expedient tough on crime.

Clinton's economic policy was pretty "conservative," but trickle down hadn't been as fully "disproved" as today, and deregulation was similar.  

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Crime is reliable politically and there wasn't, as there is today, a viable position other than "tough on crime," the only question was how far were you willing to go to be tough. Only hindsight bias and the fullness of time have shown what a wretched thing was the VCCLA.

I will put on my Jesse Jackson '88 campaign button and fight you in an HEB parking lot

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I will put on my Jesse Jackson '88 campaign button and fight you in an HEB parking lot

And you win me right back over.  My partner gave Jesse his vaccine shot.  Jackson has been a big proponent of those on the south and west sides getting educated then vaccinated - not just jabbing needles all over the place. 

Sad but the Parkinson's is really taking it's toll.  I haven't always agreed with his takes - but the older I've gotten, the more I realize, he was way more right than my dumb ass ever was. 

it's funny that people think I hate Democrats because I'm a right-winger when the real reason is so obscure and you have to be over 50 to even vaguely remember

"Grandpa will you please shut up about how as president, Jesse Jackson would've completely reshaped America's brutal and repressive approach to international diplomacy and finance?"
- "YOU ARE OUT OF THE WILL, WHITE LIBERAL SCUM!"

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

My first election, I voted for him in the primary and then Dukakis in the general. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Although I am a CJ reform crusader, at least around here, I'm actually willing to give Clinton (and Biden) a bit of a pass on VCCLA.  That was 25+ years ago, when only the most foresighted could see what the War on Drugs was doing.  We had big problems with crack and coke generally, it was legitimately pretty scary at some level.  Crime is reliable politically and there wasn't, as there is today, a viable position other than "tough on crime," the only question was how far were you willing to go to be tough.  Only hindsight bias and the fullness of time have shown what a wretched thing was the VCCLA.

I have a bit of a tougher time with Kamala, for example. As a current liberal politician, she should have known better and I think chose the politically expedient tough on crime.

Clinton's economic policy was pretty "conservative," but trickle down hadn't been as fully "disproved" as today, and deregulation was similar.  

People forget how out of control crime was at the beginning of the 90s. And yeah it was probably mainly due to the stupid ass war on drugs but most of the country was too ignorant of that fact back then. The politicians were tasked to “ do something” and do something they did which sucked but that’s what the people wanted. 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Not sure viable and Jesse Jackson go in the same sentence together.

Yeah that was the message from white Democrats in the mid/late-80s as well. The same type of Democrats who threw screaming hissy bitch-fits when yet another black guy dared question the ascendancy of the white trash Arkansans.

meanwhile Jackson doubled his strength in the 88 campaign but the white liberal establishment line was set and he was considered a joke even while he won states

I'm not sure this take makes you sound the way you'd want.

clinton-stone-mountain1-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

it's funny that people think I hate Democrats because I'm a right-winger when the real reason is so obscure and you have to be over 50 to even vaguely remember

I voted for Jackson in ‘84. After that, I soured on Ds, and voted Fulani in ‘88. It wasn’t until Bush the younger that I came back to the Party. I wised up that Ds were nowhere near as bad as Rs.

One thing you seem to share with RW is hating Ds. I envision you occupying that part of the spectrum that feels somewhat ‘mobius,’ wrapping around the far side of the curve and being closer to the far right than the center left. 

But what do I know? 

Just now, Willfully Horn said:

One thing you seem to share with RW is hating Ds. I envision you occupying that part of the spectrum that feels somewhat ‘mobius,’ wrapping around the far side of the curve and being closer to the far right than the center left. 

But what do I know? 

apparently not what "far right" means

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I hate Democrats

Your words, and the gist of what informs my opinion on your political sweetspot. Are you saying I am wrong that the RW also owns the sentiment you shared?

Edited by Willfully Horn
Possessive and redundant

58 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Your words, and the gist of what informs my opinion on your political sweetspot. Are you saying I am wrong that the RW also owns the sentiment you shared?

I am going to grill fajitas tonight, something many right-wingers will also do. 

What does any of this have to do with my actual "politics"?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Everyone’s always squabbling over Hitler vs. Stalin vs. Mao but Pol Pot is over here sitting right on top of the pound for pound rankings after killing like a quarter of his own country. 

Right???? It's like the world forgot about Sam Waterston and his portrayal of Sydney Schanberg in The Killing Fields.

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Everyone’s always squabbling over Hitler vs. Stalin vs. Mao but Pol Pot is over here sitting right on top of the pound for pound rankings after killing like a quarter of his own country. 

Obviously, you are only pointing that out because you love Hitler.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I kind of agree with you on your first paragraph.  As wrongheaded as the impetus (Nixon, Reagan) for the war on drugs was, I certainly didn’t foresee the rise of the cartel culture, militarization of the police and a private prison industry at that point in time.  Of course I was young and liked drugs.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I kind of agree with you on your first paragraph.  As wrongheaded as the impetus (Nixon, Reagan) for the war on drugs was, I certainly didn’t foresee the rise of the cartel culture, militarization of the police and a private prison industry at that point in time.  Of course I was young and liked drugs.  

I mean, for a while there it looked like the thing to do, maybe, in a piss on a sparkplug kind of way.

The answer isn't easy, and a "supply side" approach, which I wholly support, is going to be a tough slog.  But it will have fewer unintended consequences.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

A guy I work with said he went to a gun range in Cambodia where they would let you shoot a water buffalo with an RPG.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well that’s fucking heinous. 

https://www.traveldudes.com/shooting-a-rpg-in-cambodia/

https://www.traveloffpath.com/cambodia-lets-tourists-shoot-cows-with-rocket-launchers/

Edited by Dnaguy

On 4/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, Gourmand said:

Don't know who this is, but their entire feed is dedicated to culture war issues and clapbacks. With so many serious problems in this country why must we burn so many calories on superficial social media spats & political gossip? The overton window is so far to the right in this country we have Bill Maher trying to say Nafta, welfare reform, the 94' crime bill, Bush bankruptcy law, and bank deregulation is the center. Like wtf.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Bama Chick said:

“Latinx” originated within queer activists groups not academia.

Just like “Black Lives Matter” and “Abolish ICE” and “Defund the Police” did.

And all of those terms can be twisted by bad faith right wingers.

But that’s what happens when you have only two parties and only one of those parties is a “big tent”.

It’s not “woke bullshittery” to allow minority activists to make their voices heard.

All this handwringing over “woke” and “cancel culture” is just the modern moral panic that this country went through in the 90s when it was called “political correctness”.

As a Latino, it’s offensive. It’s akin to to hearing Ellis & Salazar. Real austinites know what I mean 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 4/30/2021 at 5:53 AM, Tuco said:

People like to bust on "defund the police" as some messaging train wreck.  Put here's the thing: activists said "reallocate funds towards community services" for years, but nobody gave a shit.  Eventually, they cast it in dramatic terms, and people paid attention to it.  It's now a discussion, and that discussion has turned into action in some locations.  Activists aren't trying to win elections, they are trying to generate action.  That may be a major pain in the ass for many of the Dem politicians who are generally on their side, but it drives change.  Nothing will fucking change if you are unwilling to stake out an unpopular opinion and challenge perceptions.  And politicians can't do that and still win.  

interesting thread. will try to come back see if onboard ever comes back lulz

respectfully disagree on your post. There are shitloads of things interesecting as to creating "action in some locations". I would argue having a once in century event (pandemic) with a long ass video of clear murder by the police (GF) is more than enough (and that 'defund the police' is arguably harmful to that momentum). 

People use this historical idea that we/you have been screaming for police reform for years. And that is true. But making a slogan that is a reaction to all your historical frustrations is going to be less effective. You allow yourself to bring all that pent up emotion into the meeting - you run the risk of losing the sale. Messaging is everything. 

Anyway, hope you homies are well. Everyone vibrated through Friday all right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

It’s possible to hate a political party for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with why someone else hates that party. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

It’s possible to hate a political party for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with why someone else hates that party. 

It’s also possible for Great to be the enemy of Good.

A world of possibilities; it’s almost like a choose your own adventure.

21 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I would buy one of those buttons every year we went to the UIL Academic State Meet, and when I got back to Gainesville I would wear them to class the rest of the year. 

Good times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Yes, he is. Cant imagine he’s very popular on this board

I would imagine just the opposite. 

EDIT: That is to say, I would think he would be very popular with people on the left and very unpopular with the Daily Texan types. 

Edited by David Dennison

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wait, so the old white guys that should have looked at data and done the right thing then, even though it wasn't politically expedient, get the pass? Hey, these school kids hate eating a balanced meal so lets feed them pizza, hotdogs and potato chips all year long. That is what they did but give them a pass and jump on Kamala for the EXACT same shit. Because she is younger?

No dude, your sexism is....  just pull your skirt down a bit, honey, your sexist slip is showing. 

Edited by burntorangebongos

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

Yes, he is. Cant imagine he’s very popular on this board

He was popular when he wrote What's The Matter with Kansas (basicslly pointing out how Pubs got poor ppl to vote against their own self-interests) but then he wrote Listen, Liberal which pointed out how the Dems went from representing unions & workers to the creative & upper middle class. He's literally just writing about objective reality. Nafta, the crime bill, welfare reform, bank deregulation, etc., were not 'centrist policies', they were a Republican's wet dream & they signed it into law.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I would buy one of those buttons every year we went to the UIL Academic State Meet, and when I got back to Gainesville I would wear them to class the rest of the year. 

Good times. 

#humblebrag

4 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Certainly. 
And political bedfellows don’t have to share the same politics, necessarily, if their goals align. 

Again, what do I know? Words are slippery for most folks.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Crab