2021 Texas HS football

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I had cousins at SA Reagan back then. I watched them play y’all in the playoffs in 06 & 07. Marcus Wright from Reagan probably ran for 600 yards combined in those two games, guy was unreal. Reagan actually beat y’all in 07, pretty hard to imagine now. 

Did Justin Tucker not do kickoffs barefooted back then? I distinctly remember the Westlake kicker doing that. 

I played in a playoff game my junior year at the Alamodome against Laredo United. We got there pretty early and were able to catch the end of Reagen vs Warren. Game went to multiple overtimes and Wright scored something like 6 or 7 touchdowns that game. Dude was insane.

• Hook 'Em 3

Sometimes, one region is just way better than another, and we saw that a bunch tonight.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I

Mansfield Summit (11-3) vs College Station (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Hewitt Panther Stadium

Summit is not a pushover – their losses were to Oklahoma power Jenks, Westlake, and a 1-pointer to Colleyville Heritage that they avenged last week.  But College Station is a better team, and this probably does look like a pushover, having just gone through Lone Star, Wakeland, and Ryan in consecutive weeks.

28-21 CS.  THE STATION IS LIT!!!  Much closer than I think anyone expected, but CS never looked like they were in danger.

Katy Paetow (13-1) vs CC Flour Bluff (12-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio – Heroes Stadium

If Flour Bluff keeps this within 20, I’ll suck Nueces River Rat’s mom’s cock.

73-14 Paetow.  Jebus.

CLASS 5A DIVISION II

Dallas South Oak Cliff (12-1) vs Lubbock Cooper (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Abilene Shotwell Stadium

I actually picked against SOC last week, and I’m not doing that again.  Cooper does have a great defense, though, allowing only 21 points over the last five week.  They weren’t playing Aledo and Lovejoy, though. 

Cooper's D was completely overmatched by the SOC speed.  SOC returned the opening kickoff of the game for a TD, and this was never competitive.  44-10 Golden Bears.  The good news is that Kobie McKinzie is big and fast, even if his teammates weren't.

Liberty Hill (12-2) vs Crosby (12-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bryan – Green Stadium

Crosby won this game last season, 62-61.  I think the Cougars’ defense is better this year, and they’ve definitely played a tougher schedule than LH, but who knows when you’re dealing with the LH Slot-T. 

LH lost a ton of seniors last year, but they're somehow better, especially on D.  They controlled this one from the start, getting out 21-0 at half and winning 42-14.

Class 4A DI

Wichita Falls Hirschi (12-2) vs Stephenville (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco’s Ford Center

Hirschi is in the state semis for the first time since 1964. Traditional power Stephenville has been kind of wandering lost for most of the last six years, but they’re loaded this season on both sides of the ball.  Hirschi wins usually games by outscoring people, while the ‘jackets have a more solid defense.  They’ve also played a much harder schedule, and that’s going to make the difference here.   

Probably the best game of the night, even if I had to watch it on some random dude's Facebook live feed from the stands, because NFHS couldn't get a camera there.  It went back and forth, and Hirschi's speed really gave S'ville fits.  The Huskies got a stop with 4 minutes left and drove to the 24, but failed on 4th down with about 0:50 left.  38-35 S'ville.

Class 4A DII

Celina (12-1) vs Gilmer (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Prosper’s Children’s Health Stadium

Two TxHSFb bluebloods (25 total state semi appearances) in this one, with the big matchup being Gilmer’s crazy offense against Celina’s stingy D. The Bobcats’ D has allowed 7, 7, 6, and 0 points in the playoffs so far.  The Buckeyes’ O has rung up 71, 68, 56, and 35.  Celina would rather not pass the ball, and I think that’s going to hurt them in this game. 

Gilmer's offense did not dominate, but their D completely shut down Celina's run game.  27-7 Buckeyes.

China Spring (14-0) vs Cuero (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Round Rock’s Reeves Stadium

CS has taken down Carthage and WOS in consecutive weeks, and that’s enough for me.  They are extremely physical and nasty and look like a future state champ.  Cuero is very well-coached and can win this if they play a perfect game, but that’s a lot to ask.

CS continued to look like a future state champ and they dominated from the opening kickoff.  34-9 Cougars.

Class 3A DII

Lubbock Roosevelt (14-0) vs Gunter (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Abilene’s Anthony Field

Pedigree matters this time of year.  Roosevelt has kind of come out of nowhere this season.  They were 8-3 last year, but 4-27 the previous 3 seasons.  Gunter had a down year last season – they were only 13-2.  The previous four seasons they were 61-3.  A bigger school needs to snap up their coach, because he has built something great and created a really fun offense.

Dayum.  Gunter 47-12.

Waskom (13-1) vs Franklin (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Mesquite’s Memorial Stadium

Should have a few points scored in this one.  Waskom has totaled 766, but Franklin has topped that with 834.  Franklin’s D will be the big edge in this one, as they have allowed only 13 points in the last five games.  And like I mentioned upthread, their punishing Slot-T will wear down the athletes who play both ways.

Waskom was tied 14-14 in the 3rd thanks to two very long (84, 60) TD runs, but Franklin ground them down.  28-14.

Mart (14-0) vs. Falls City (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday, Elgin HS

Mart will win by a bunch.  Nothing more needs to be said.

Shocker of the year.  Mart led 20-10, but Falls City got an 18-yard TD pass with 0:39 left to win 24-20.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Great season for SOC, but they’ll get steamrolled by Liberty Hill next week. No one can stop the slot T, surprised more teams don’t use it. 

When Aledo made their comeback they were running the ball almost exclusively after the pick 6 so maybe you’re on to something. SOC will put up points quickly so it’ll be interesting what wins out.

6 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Frisco runs slot t and/or wing t dating back to when Pleasant Grove’s head coach was there with his daddy. Although I think the started out running a flexbone depending on their personnel.

Yep and SOC beat Frisco earlier in the playoffs 35-24. Liberty Hill is better than Frisco obviously, but at least SOC has some experience with a similarly unconventional offense.

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Sometimes, one region is just way better than another, and we saw that a bunch tonight.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I

Mansfield Summit (11-3) vs College Station (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Hewitt Panther Stadium

Summit is not a pushover – their losses were to Oklahoma power Jenks, Westlake, and a 1-pointer to Colleyville Heritage that they avenged last week.  But College Station is a better team, and this probably does look like a pushover, having just gone through Lone Star, Wakeland, and Ryan in consecutive weeks.

28-21 CS.  THE STATION IS LIT!!!  Much closer than I think anyone expected, but CS never looked like they were in danger.

Katy Paetow (13-1) vs CC Flour Bluff (12-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio – Heroes Stadium

If Flour Bluff keeps this within 20, I’ll suck Nueces River Rat’s mom’s cock.

73-14 Paetow.  Jebus.

CLASS 5A DIVISION II

Dallas South Oak Cliff (12-1) vs Lubbock Cooper (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Abilene Shotwell Stadium

I actually picked against SOC last week, and I’m not doing that again.  Cooper does have a great defense, though, allowing only 21 points over the last five week.  They weren’t playing Aledo and Lovejoy, though. 

Cooper's D was completely overmatched by the SOC speed.  SOC returned the opening kickoff of the game for a TD, and this was never competitive.  44-10 Golden Bears.  The good news is that Kobie McKinzie is big and fast, even if his teammates weren't.

Liberty Hill (12-2) vs Crosby (12-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bryan – Green Stadium

Crosby won this game last season, 62-61.  I think the Cougars’ defense is better this year, and they’ve definitely played a tougher schedule than LH, but who knows when you’re dealing with the LH Slot-T. 

LH lost a ton of seniors last year, but they're somehow better, especially on D.  They controlled this one from the start, getting out 21-0 at half and winning 42-14.

Class 4A DI

Wichita Falls Hirschi (12-2) vs Stephenville (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco’s Ford Center

Hirschi is in the state semis for the first time since 1964. Traditional power Stephenville has been kind of wandering lost for most of the last six years, but they’re loaded this season on both sides of the ball.  Hirschi wins usually games by outscoring people, while the ‘jackets have a more solid defense.  They’ve also played a much harder schedule, and that’s going to make the difference here.   

Probably the best game of the night, even if I had to watch it on some random dude's Facebook live feed from the stands, because NFHS couldn't get a camera there.  It went back and forth, and Hirschi's speed really gave S'ville fits.  The Huskies got a stop with 4 minutes left and drove to the 24, but failed on 4th down with about 0:50 left.  38-35 S'ville.

Class 4A DII

Celina (12-1) vs Gilmer (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Prosper’s Children’s Health Stadium

Two TxHSFb bluebloods (25 total state semi appearances) in this one, with the big matchup being Gilmer’s crazy offense against Celina’s stingy D. The Bobcats’ D has allowed 7, 7, 6, and 0 points in the playoffs so far.  The Buckeyes’ O has rung up 71, 68, 56, and 35.  Celina would rather not pass the ball, and I think that’s going to hurt them in this game. 

Gilmer's offense did not dominate, but their D completely shut down Celina's run game.  27-7 Buckeyes.

China Spring (14-0) vs Cuero (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Round Rock’s Reeves Stadium

CS has taken down Carthage and WOS in consecutive weeks, and that’s enough for me.  They are extremely physical and nasty and look like a future state champ.  Cuero is very well-coached and can win this if they play a perfect game, but that’s a lot to ask.

CS continued to look like a future state champ and they dominated from the opening kickoff.  34-9 Cougars.

Class 3A DII

Lubbock Roosevelt (14-0) vs Gunter (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Abilene’s Anthony Field

Pedigree matters this time of year.  Roosevelt has kind of come out of nowhere this season.  They were 8-3 last year, but 4-27 the previous 3 seasons.  Gunter had a down year last season – they were only 13-2.  The previous four seasons they were 61-3.  A bigger school needs to snap up their coach, because he has built something great and created a really fun offense.

Dayum.  Gunter 47-12.

Waskom (13-1) vs Franklin (14-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Mesquite’s Memorial Stadium

Should have a few points scored in this one.  Waskom has totaled 766, but Franklin has topped that with 834.  Franklin’s D will be the big edge in this one, as they have allowed only 13 points in the last five games.  And like I mentioned upthread, their punishing Slot-T will wear down the athletes who play both ways.

Waskom was tied 14-14 in the 3rd thanks to two very long (84, 60) TD runs, but Franklin ground them down.  28-14.

Mart (14-0) vs. Falls City (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday, Elgin HS

Mart will win by a bunch.  Nothing more needs to be said.

Shocker of the year.  Mart led 20-10, but Falls City got an 18-yard TD pass with 0:39 left to win 24-20.

@Beau Vine can save his razor lips for @TreatyOak mom.  Paetow is a machine for sure.  Lol I saw their enrollment number for the upcoming realignment and they are sitting at around 3100.  That would put them in the top numbers in 6A and no doubt last year they had 6A numbers, but thanks to the number being taken during their second year of existence when they didn’t even have a Senior class, they got stuck in 5a.  It’s not like Katy ISD or any other school that opens doesn’t know what their numbers are going to be during a certain year and the UIL should base them on these numbers.   These ISDs pay firms thousands of dollars to get them projections.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yep and SOC beat Frisco earlier in the playoffs 35-24. Liberty Hill is better than Frisco obviously, but at least SOC has some experience with a similarly unconventional offense.

Liberty Hill runs their Slot T in a hurry up offense which makes it unique compared to others who run the Slot or Wing to help chew clock and ball control.  The opposing D line always has to be on their toes and ready to lock horns.  

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Liberty Hill runs their Slot T in a hurry up offense which makes it unique compared to others who run the Slot or Wing to help chew clock and ball control.  The opposing D line always has to be on their toes and ready to lock horns.  

...and they commit illegal motion every play because they're never all set for a full second and most officiating crews won't call it.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

One game I was at I got out my phone and started timing from the time they lined up till they time they snapped. Most of the time it was around .5 second. Didn't really matter, Lampasas crushed them anyway.

If they aren't set, nail their ass at the snap of the ball. Should be easy AF to time.

If they are doing something outside the rules, then leverage it against them.

Ive heard about their doing this the past few years.  Seems like officials could tell them pre-game, "Hey if you're not set, we're calling illegal motion/ illegal procedure until your guys start getting set. This ain't the CFL, Corch."

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

With this amount of whining, I’m rooting for this illegal offense to dominate.

Their win is a formality at this point. Literally no one can stop that offense because of how it’s run. I assume you’re a fan of OU’s holding on every play strategy as well.

Westlake vs Katy today. Predicting a 49-14 Westlake win.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Their win is a formality at this point. Literally no one can stop that offense because of how it’s run. I assume you’re a fan of OU’s holding on every play strategy as well.

I actually am. It's not cheating if it's not called. Every time I watch us get dominated by holds both on OL and DB's it makes me rage, but if we got away with it It'd easily justify it as tough men playing tough football or some shit.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I am predicting a tough game, with both teams bringing their best.  

They haven’t won state since 07, somebody literally stops them every other year.

Literally you are wrong about every prediction you make, so congrats to SOC on the title!

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

They're making Katy look like a JV team.

Yes, they appear to be solid to quite solid at the game of inter-scholastic American football.  I say, kudos to them.