When can we replace Breyer?

Voldemort86

Guest Lobo

I spent a summer of law school, at the foot of the Austrian Alps, listening to man discuss the importance of a 5-4, 4-5, 6-3, 3-6 U.S. Supreme Court and how it permeated into every other walk of American life (and beyond).  That instructor was the most significant justice in this nation for almost two decades.  And he taught me three things:  Never pay your own bar tab.  It's a living, breathing document, but it's still an owner's manual to be treated accordingly.  And there is nothing that Breyer and the Democrats can't fuck up with regard to legacy.  

I'd love to get back to a 5-4/4-5 situation, but Breyer and his cohorts will find a way to fuck it up.  Go ahead and neg rep me, but we all know it's true. 

The way things have been going lately, it won't matter. The Republicans will just say there needs to be another conservative on there and the Dems will whimper like scalded dogs and agree. They are the most pussy-ass opposition party of all time, anywhere. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

12 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The way things have been going lately, it won't matter. The Republicans will just say there needs to be another conservative on there and the Dems will whimper like scalded dogs and agree. They are the most pussy-ass opposition party of all time, anywhere. 

K cool

SCOTUS nominees can’t be filibustered so not sure what your grand point is. 50 Dems = Breyer replacement.  Biden needs to tell his ass to retire after this term is over (summer).

If he waits until after 2022, it’ll just galvanize GOP midterm turnout. Nothing gets their dicks harder than a SCOTUS vacancy. 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

K cool

SCOTUS nominees can’t be filibustered so not sure what your grand point is. 50 Dems = Breyer replacement.  Biden needs to tell his ass to retire after this term is over (summer).

If he waits until after 2022, it’ll just galvanize GOP midterm turnout. Nothing gets their dicks harder than a SCOTUS vacancy. 

Hyperbole on my part. Needs a font as such. 

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Hyperbole on my part. Needs a font as such. 

The GQP will def say Biden not picking a conservative judge is tantamount to lying about being bipartisan and they will fully say Schumer and Biden are ramming it down America’s throat whether it’s 2 months or 12 months from now.  Without a hint of hypocrisy. 

• Rage+1 3

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The GQP will def say Biden not picking a conservative judge is tantamount to lying about being bipartisan and they will fully say Schumer and Biden are ramming it down America’s throat whether it’s 2 months or 12 months from now.  Without a hint of hypocrisy. 

Save this post because it will be 100% correct. 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think the correct word is “irony” because it will be with a massive and blatant buttload of “hypocrisy” which we’ve already seen twice before and know exactly what to expect. 

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

50 Dems = Breyer replacement.

better not be too liberal a nominee or Manchin might say no.  but if it's a Merrick Garland type, you could possibly get Murkowski, Romney, Portman to confirm.

this does need to happen.  Obama was too chicken to ask RBG.  there were other dynamics at play, too.

there is no excuse here not to tell Breyer to pack it up.  unless they know it won't work.  which it probably won't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/us/justice-breyer-retirement.html

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s impossible for the GOP to win the public relations battle on the next Supreme Court vacancy. Even casual observers and people who barely follow politics remember that the democrats got screwed by the combination Scalia vacancy during Obama’s last year of his last term and how quickly the republicans rammed Amy coney Barrett down the entire countries throat.

it was total hypocrisy and a blatant partisan power grab. The vast majority of this country knows that we need a more liberal leaning justice to be the next pick. We can’t afford to let Breyer stay on the court much longer than early 2022. The GOP has been extremely fortunate in that they have had a Supreme Court vacancy to juice turnout on their side for the 2016, 2018, and 2020 election cycles. 

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s impossible for the GOP to win the public relations battle on the next Supreme Court vacancy. Even casual observers and people who barely follow politics remember that the democrats got screwed by the combination Scalia vacancy during Obama’s last year of his last term and how quickly the republicans rammed Amy coney Barrett down the entire countries throat.

it was total hypocrisy and a blatant partisan power grab. The vast majority of this country knows that we need a more liberal leaning justice to be the next pick. We can’t afford to let Breyer stay on the court much longer than early 2022. The GOP has been extremely fortunate in that they have had a Supreme Court vacancy to juice turnout on their side for the 2016, 2018, and 2020 election cycles. 

ScaredPalatableGar-max-1mb.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

I like a closely divided Supreme Court ever since I studied under Justice Kennedy.  It needs to at least be 6-3.  Y'all need to steel yourselves.  Breyer announcing a retirement at any point in 2022 will cause a massive kerfuffel.  Trumpians will proclaim you can't fill a vacancy so close to a mid-term election.  And when they finally get over it, it will be used as their fundraising lightning rod to take back the Senate.  Either way, you gotta close your eyes and drink your medicine.  He has to step down before the Class III Senate is seated in 19 months.  And back out holidays, plus a robust floor debate, plus confirmation hearings.  Plus hear his last slate of cases and let the new person take over in October of 2022.  So probably June of 2022 at the latest?  One more year?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I like a closely divided Supreme Court ever since I studied under Justice Kennedy.  It needs to at least be 6-3.  Y'all need to steel yourselves.  Breyer announcing a retirement at any point in 2022 will cause a massive kerfuffel.  Trumpians will proclaim you can't fill a vacancy so close to a mid-term election.  And when they finally get over it, it will be used as their fundraising lightning rod to take back the Senate.  Either way, you gotta close your eyes and drink your medicine.  He has to step down before the Class III Senate is seated in 19 months.  And back out holidays, plus a robust floor debate, plus confirmation hearings.  Plus hear his last slate of cases and let the new person take over in October of 2022.  So probably June of 2022 at the latest?  One more year?  

Ideally he would step down after this summers Supreme Court term.

Guest Lobo

Ideally?  Yeah.  So that means he won't.  Pardon my skepticism.  So they're done 28 June IIRC.  Which is why I put June of 2022 in my above post.  But yes, if he can make it June of 2021, he can help eviscerate the "shouldn't be debating this in an election year" and take away what'll likely be a big fundraising rally point for the MAQAnation.  He would be damn near 84 at the end of the 2022 SCOTUS sessions.  

To berate the point, with what Class III could mean for the 2023 Senate...I cannot fathom what could possibly be gained by Breyer sticking around for 2023 and 2024 on the bench.  If there's some 4-D long game here, somebody please tell me.  If he wants to go out after 2022 session and cause some big problems that Biden can probably still navigate, I guess he's earned that right.  But nothing beyond that makes a shred of sense to me, whatsoever.  If he's only gonna be there another 30+ days, surely stuff would start leaking out by now.  

On 5/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, Lobo said:

Ideally?  Yeah.  So that means he won't.  Pardon my skepticism.  So they're done 28 June IIRC.  Which is why I put June of 2022 in my above post.  But yes, if he can make it June of 2021, he can help eviscerate the "shouldn't be debating this in an election year" and take away what'll likely be a big fundraising rally point for the MAQAnation.  He would be damn near 84 at the end of the 2022 SCOTUS sessions.  

To berate the point, with what Class III could mean for the 2023 Senate...I cannot fathom what could possibly be gained by Breyer sticking around for 2023 and 2024 on the bench.  If there's some 4-D long game here, somebody please tell me.  If he wants to go out after 2022 session and cause some big problems that Biden can probably still navigate, I guess he's earned that right.  But nothing beyond that makes a shred of sense to me, whatsoever.  If he's only gonna be there another 30+ days, surely stuff would start leaking out by now.  

I just can’t believe the arrogance Breyer would have to have to stick around. The Supreme Court has gone unbelievably bad for democrats. It couldn’t have gone any worse. The guy is almost 85.  Does he understand what “take one for the team” means?

Guest Lobo

I realize he wouldn't announce right now in the middle of the end of their current session.  But a leak here or there would be expected (either from his staff or the White House or even Democrats on JC).  Maybe he sticks around to finish the 2022 session.  Maybe doing so ahead of it all frees him up to go out how he wants.  It'll be a rough 2022 July/August/Sep/Oct for Democrats listening to Mitch & McCarthy complain that they can't nominate a new justice with such critical midterms just weeks away. 

The good news is I can get more voiceover work those months reading in a scary voice, "The Democrats want to replace Justice Breyer with an even more liberal judge bent on destroying America.  Is a more liberal justice even possible?  Let's not find out, America!  This November...re-elect Senator Ron Johnson and help him Patriot Pack the Supreme Court."  

Edited by Lobo

• 5 months later...

I have to wonder if Tues night's election won't force Breyer's hand more to retire in June. Biden should be lining up everything today, including discussions with Breyer, Manchin and Sinema. Let Breyer retire and have the confirmation hearings start within 2 weeks. Give the GOP judicial committee senators 20 minutes each to quiz the nominee, and then hold the vote.

Don't screw around with trying to go back to norms or reaching across the aisle. Push the nominee through just like McConnell did. 

I also don't believe there is anything wrong with Breyer announcing his retirement today to be effective at the end of the session. Would the hearings even have to wait until the end of the court term? I realize the vote would probably take place after the term is over.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/20/2021 at 3:59 AM, Voldemort86 said:

jaguars' fan gif

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I guarantee he or Sinema will force a moderate. Which is still better than what the Republicans put up, so there’s that.

Better than the lunatic freaks that Trump was nominating from the “heritage foundation” list.  Correct me if I’m wrong on what that thing was called.

38 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is obviously a different level of fanfare, but Sinema/Manchin have been remarkably lock-step with the Dems in approving judges to this point.

None of the other confirmations come with the attention this one will.  Dangerous Creature and Munchkin gonna show they whole ass over it.

Biden will capitulate on a compromise candidate that will be acceptable to Manchin then McConnell will delay because we can't appoint someone during mid-term elections then when the Republicans win back Congress they'll just hold off so that Trump can pick another justice when hes re-elected.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Biden will capitulate on a compromise candidate that will be acceptable to Manchin then McConnell will delay because we can't appoint someone during mid-term elections then when the Republicans win back Congress they'll just hold off so that Trump can pick another justice when hes re-elected.

McConnell can't delay that much. All he can do is posture.

All Joe needs is 50 votes.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's almost certainly one of these two. I like Jackson's experience as an actual trial judge, but I like Kruger's younger age more.

I don’t give a fuck which one it is but they need to get her confirmed ASAP before Moscow Mitch decides to rub out a dem senator. 

And yes the republicans are gonna whine and stomp their feet a bit because that is literally the only thing they do nowadays except try to cut taxes for the ultra wealthy but they can’t do a damn thing about it so fuck em.