West Virginia @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

I've always been curious about college ball and equipment.  Obviously, the unis and shoes are from Nike and that's under contract and the players probably have no choice.

Bats also seem to be under some type of contract as they are always one brand, it seems.  But I could be wrong.  I seem to remember LS, Marucci, and now it seems to be Easton.

But there's quire a bit of variation in gloves.  And some are "Longhorn" gloves with names, etc. and some aren't.

Anyone know how that all works?

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've always been curious about college ball and equipment.  Obviously, the unis and shoes are from Nike and that's under contract and the players probably have no choice.

Bats also seem to be under some type of contract as they are always one brand, it seems.  But I could be wrong.  I seem to remember LS, Marucci, and now it seems to be Easton.

But there's quire a bit of variation in gloves.  And some are "Longhorn" gloves with names, etc. and some aren't.

It’s all ball bearings these days. 

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've also always been curious about gloves and how many they have or go through each year. I remember having the same glove from about 7th grade all the way through HS. If you had offered me a brand new one I would've turned it down because mine was perfectly broken in for my hand and it took a lot of time and work to get it that way. It seems like these guys always have brand new gloves on. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Unless it changed this year, our hitters could use any brand they want. We have everything available, unless it changed this year. You're correct on shoes/clothing, all Nike along with batting gloves. They can also order any two gloves they want, regardless of brand for free. Players also have access to preferred pricing if they'd like to buy equipment. If you're a stud and play a few different positions, then you can get wtf you want.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

Unless it changed this year, our hitters could use any brand they want. We have everything available, unless it changed this year. You're correct on shoes/clothing, all Nike along with batting gloves. They can also order any two gloves they want, regardless of brand for free. Players also have access to preferred pricing if they'd like to buy equipment. If you're a stud and play a few different positions, then you can get wtf you want.

That sounds like what I would expect. 

Now, as it was in hs, you see predominantly rawlings with a few wilsons and then some of the "off-brands."

For a while though, about all you saw was marucci I think or some off-brand.  And it wasn't just Texas. Seemed like they had some kind of exclusive deal. 

We also kind of sucked at that time. 

10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I've also always been curious about gloves and how many they have or go through each year. I remember having the same glove from about 7th grade all the way through HS. If you had offered me a brand new one I would've turned it down because mine was perfectly broken in for my hand and it took a lot of time and work to get it that way. It seems like these guys always have brand new gloves on. 

Pretty much same.  I had the same glove from 8th grade until it was stolen with my car while studying for the bar.  It was a Nokona, great glove. 

Some time after, I needed a glove for lawyer/beer league and decided to buy a nice one and started looking at heart o the hides. 

I became aware that they are now selling gloves made of "kip" leather that is lighter and breaks in a lot faster than the heart o the hide types. And also doesn't last nearly as long. 

A "tan" glove in kip is a lot lighter in color than an old school tan glove.  Pretty sure that's what you see our guys and pros using mostly. 

12 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’ve never been there but I get the feeling from looking at their collection of players and coaches that WV is a terrible place. 

My guess is you’re 25 ish and never left Frisco or Katy , save a few years in Austin. 

Pretty much same.  I had the same glove from 8th grade until it was stolen with my car while studying for the bar.  It was a Nokona, great glove. 
Some time after, I needed a glove for lawyer/beer league and decided to buy a nice one and started looking at heart o the hides. 
I became aware that they are now selling gloves made of "kip" leather that is lighter and breaks in a lot faster than the heart o the hide types. And also doesn't last nearly as long. 
A "tan" glove in kip is a lot lighter in color than an old school tan glove.  Pretty sure that's what you see our guys and pros using mostly. 

Not to derail the thread, but if you ever find yourself in Nocona, TX, the glove factory is worth a tour before you hop over to the brewery right across the way. Cool to see the glove making process. Might spend a car payment on a Nokona glove, but you’ll never need another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Noogman said:

Not to derail the thread, but if you ever find yourself in Nocona, TX, the glove factory is worth a tour before you hop over to the brewery right across the way. Cool to see the glove making process. Might spend a car payment on a Nokona glove, but you’ll never need another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they've changed hands a couple of times in the last 20 or so years.  Not all of their production is domestic, but I'm sure the factory is pretty cool.

I think the Nocona boot factory is still operational too, although making boots for Cavenders and whatnot, instead of Nocona/Justin/Berkshire Hathaway.

26 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i know the weather apps arent always right, but my app shows 80% chance of thunderstorms from 11--4, then it drops to 50% from 5-6... then clear after 630 or so

if thats accurate  we might delay the game a few hours

Yeah they might be able to play 5 or more tonight if the field conditions are ok and wvu agrees (not sure what the rules are governing their right to refuse). 

Guest Lobo

I do not understand why the fuck we didn't do a double-header yesterday.  Asinine.  

We're gonna have to push the game until later tonight and our seniors won't get to walk at commencement at 8:00p. Which sucks.  

I hope somebody is sitting in a room somewhere with the WVU coach and AD and convincing them to push back their travel plans tonight.  Their original plan was to leave here tonight, go home, see the trainers and pack their shit, and head to OKC on Monday.  I'm sure they'll be flexible and push start time to 5 or 6 this evening but that might not do it.  

KSU beats TCU tonight and we can't play 5 innings.....TCU wins the league title by a 1/2 game.  I know the regular season championship doesn't mean as much to some of y'all in baseball...but to come this far and this fucking close with KSU already having upset them once...and we can't do the easiest fucking thing yesterday and schedule a DH.  This game will not be played tomorrow.  We need the field to not only dry out but we need to find a few hours this evening with no lightning.  

32 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i know the weather apps arent always right, but my app shows 80% chance of thunderstorms from 11--4, then it drops to 50% from 5-6... then clear after 630 or so

if thats accurate  we might delay the game a few hours

I just looked at mine and concluded the same.  Hopefully we'll get some evening baseball.

Edit: And the question of why we didn't play two yesterday is a damned good one.

Edited by TexArcher

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I hope somebody is sitting in a room somewhere with the WVU coach and AD and convincing them to push back their travel plans tonight.  Their original plan was to leave here tonight, go home, see the trainers and pack their shit, and head to OKC on Monday. 

If they don’t play this game, they might not get to go to OKC, depending on what happens with the other games.

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If they don’t play this game, they might not get to go to OKC, depending on what happens with the other games.

Yes, they will---win, lose, or rain-out...WVU is going to OKC.  The 8/9 teams in our league will face-off in a "play-in" game of sorts on Tuesday night in OKC.  The winner plays the #1 seed on Wednesday at 12:30p.  This is another reason the scheduling of this third game was so critical.  If WVU was not trying to stave off last or second to last place, they'd probably be cool and stay here Sunday to finish today's game.  But they have to either get back to Morgantown or head straight to OKC for that Tuesday night game.  

This is another reason why the #1 seed in OKC is especially advantageous this year.  WVU has to head back from Austin, Kansas has to head back from Lubbock (a shorter trip, but still).  Those two teams have to throw their aces on short rest to survive the elimination game (so they even have a chance to make it into the double-elimination main bracket).  It's not just a normal Tuesday night game, it's a Tuesday game after a regular weekend series on the road, with a 2-6 game series waiting on top of it.  Those teams have to go for broke and set their rotation up as a normal weekend rotation for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  WVU or Kansas will be gassed and pitching staffs depleted by the time their winner plays Texas or TCU on Wednesday afternoon.  Another reason we want to win the regular season crown.  You don't have to necessarily throw your ace on Wednesday and can save him for Thursday, stick to more of the normal weekend schedule.  

It's literally raining sideways now in South Austin, so who knows...this could all be academic.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I do not understand why the fuck we didn't do a double-header yesterday.  Asinine.  

We're gonna have to push the game until later tonight and our seniors won't get to walk at commencement at 8:00p. Which sucks.  

I hope somebody is sitting in a room somewhere with the WVU coach and AD and convincing them to push back their travel plans tonight.  Their original plan was to leave here tonight, go home, see the trainers and pack their shit, and head to OKC on Monday.  I'm sure they'll be flexible and push start time to 5 or 6 this evening but that might not do it.  

KSU beats TCU tonight and we can't play 5 innings.....TCU wins the league title by a 1/2 game.  I know the regular season championship doesn't mean as much to some of y'all in baseball...but to come this far and this fucking close with KSU already having upset them once...and we can't do the easiest fucking thing yesterday and schedule a DH.  This game will not be played tomorrow.  We need the field to not only dry out but we need to find a few hours this evening with no lightning.  

We had our chance Friday and didn’t get it done. Hopefully a learning experience for the team 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, they will---win, lose, or rain-out...WVU is going to OKC.  The 8/9 teams in our league will face-off in a "play-in" game of sorts on Tuesday night in OKC.  The winner plays the #1 seed on Wednesday at 12:30p.  This is another reason the scheduling of this third game was so critical.  If WVU was not trying to stave off last or second to last place, they'd probably be cool and stay here Sunday to finish today's game.  But they have to either get back to Morgantown or head straight to OKC for that Tuesday night game.  

This is another reason why the #1 seed in OKC is especially advantageous this year.  WVU has to head back from Austin, Kansas has to head back from Lubbock (a shorter trip, but still).  Those two teams have to throw their aces on short rest to survive the elimination game (so they even have a chance to make it into the double-elimination main bracket).  It's not just a normal Tuesday night game, it's a Tuesday game after a regular weekend series on the road, with a 2-6 game series waiting on top of it.  Those teams have to go for broke and set their rotation up as a normal weekend rotation for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  WVU or Kansas will be gassed and pitching staffs depleted by the time their winner plays Texas or TCU on Wednesday afternoon.  Another reason we want to win the regular season crown.  You don't have to necessarily throw your ace on Wednesday and can save him for Thursday, stick to more of the normal weekend schedule.  

It's literally raining sideways now in South Austin, so who knows...this could all be academic.  

AAS today quoted Pierce as saying WVU’s travel plans permit a delay if needed. (on mobile, busy, can’t post link)

You are right about play in game.  I was not aware in earlier post.   WVU, Kansas, and KSt currently tied for last place.

Guest Lobo

I don't know how much more of a delay they can do though (rain/t-storm chances Sunday from 9am-3pm are 70% or higher).  They head back Sunday at some point and they don't exactly live close by.  And they need plenty of time to turnaround and head back to OKC.  Unless they're just going from Austin, but surely they would have indicated that already.  

If all three bottom teams lose today, it's a cluster-cuss.  All three last place teams split the series with the other two.  Nobody swept anybody.  Apparently this year, the next tie-breaker is who won the first game of the series against one another.  KSU lost both of those.  Kansas was 1-1 in those.  WVU was 2-0.  So I guess KSU and KAN would face off in the elimination play-in game, and WVU would be #7 probably facing us again in OKC on Wednesday.  

This finish to the season has been so damn goofy though, that I expect one of KSU, KAN, and WVU to pull off the upset today and get the #7 seed with no tie-breaker help while the other two pack their shit and head to OKC a day early to face off in the 8/9 game.  

Edited by Lobo