Texas projected to win 2020-2021 Director's Cup

Viper

1 hour ago, Viper said:

CDC doing work this year.

Imagine if we didn’t have a shitty WSOC coach and we had not lost in the first round of the NCAAT MBB tournament. That should have been negative points 

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If Stanford wins it every year it must be entirely meaningless.

I’d say that if only one school has won it in the last nearly 30 years means that it’s a pretty bullshit competition but makes it all the more impressive if Texas were to win it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We won the nc in women’s rowing

If the coach is the same guy we hired from Cali a few years back, I listened to an interview after his hire and it sounded like an episode of the Californians. Very sincere and sounded like a nice guy. 

Edited by Nolacycling

5 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I’d say that if only one school has won it in the last nearly 30 years means that it’s a pretty bullshit competition but makes it all the more impressive if Texas were to win it. 

I mean it's heavily weighted in favor of olympic sports due to their sheer volume and Stanford tends to churn out Olympians like no one else so...

58 minutes ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
Nice cup win, but how are we doing with winning the Fulmer Cup?

V-tech is gonna be tough to beat this year unless its awarded to Meatchicken for past accomplishments.

Land thieves aren’t going down without a fight.

I thought I had read that the rules were changed recently to limit the number of sports that could count towards the Directors Cup.  Stanford had a huge advantage in that they fielded 36 teams, compared to Texas' 16 (??).  Try competing against competition which can field double the number of players you can.  It was a foregone conclusion that Stanford would win.

spacer.png

Regardless of the rules changes, things may have leveled out somewhat anyway.  Looks like Stanford is going to have to cut back: https://news.stanford.edu/2021/05/18/stanford-continue-11-varsity-sports/

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

I thought I had read that the rules were changed recently to limit the number of sports that could count towards the Directors Cup.  Stanford had a huge advantage in that they fielded 36 teams, compared to Texas' 16 (??).  Try competing against competition which can field double the number of players you can.  It was a foregone conclusion that Stanford would win.

spacer.png

Regardless of the rules changes, things may have leveled out somewhat anyway.  Looks like Stanford is going to have to cut back: https://news.stanford.edu/2021/05/18/stanford-continue-11-varsity-sports/

You may want to read the article that you posted.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You may want to read the article that you posted.

I understand your point.  But the article references:

Retaining all 36 teams will require a large-scale fundraising campaign for Stanford Athletics, and “we will need to ask for the support of the Cardinal faithful like never before,”

They still have to find the money.  It's not a done deal.

18 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Retaining all 36 teams will require a large-scale fundraising campaign for Stanford Athletics, and “we will need to ask for the support of the Cardinal faithful like never before,”

Dude, I have followed the story. The alumni stepped up and endowed it all, or has put the commitment forward to completely endow each program. It's finished, and so is your position on this, unless you really want to see where we can take it for my own entertainment, I guess. 

Stanford has won it every year except the first year (UNC).

Texas has three runner up finishes (01-02, 02-03 and 04-05) and a 3rd place finish (05-06).  Since COVID ruined it last year, our most recent finish was 4th in 2018-19.

Our lost decade in MBB and FB (2010-present) has led to: NR, 6th, NR, 6th, 9th, 9th, 7th, 5th, 4th

I don't agree that it's a "stupid trophy."  It measures what it measures and it does what it does.

I'm glad for Stanford that they support so many sports.  And I've never felt the rules to the Director's Cup really needed to be changed to account for that and disadvantage them, just because they choose to support a boat-load of various athletics, and programs like Texas choose not to.  

But, since they went and changed the rules anyway, I'm certainly happy for Texas to be the first program to win it, other than Stanford, in almost three decades.

Actually, I always thought it would be interesting to establish another, separate All Sports Trophy.  One that was based on some other factors, and gave additional weight to 1) the number of schools participating in each sport, to reward programs that have tougher competition due to more entrants and 2) the attendance of each sport, to provide additional reward to the programs that excel in the sports that fans have proven they care the most about.

But I didn't want such an All Sports Trophy to replace the Director's Cup, because I have always valued what the Director's Cup rewards--  a commitment to athletics across a very broad spectrum of sports.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, n64ra said:

Trophies are already awarded at the individual sport level. No need to sum them up for a total sports level award.

The amazing thing is that you can just not care about it, develop some hobbies, and never click on this thread or any articles on it ever again!

• Hook 'Em 5

On 6/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, texifornia said:

The amazing thing is that you can just not care about it, develop some hobbies, and never click on this thread or any articles on it ever again!

That's probably what's gonna happen - except swap out develop some hobbies with do 2 of my 15 minutes of real actual work.

The head of Endowments is a relative of mine, money isn't an issue at all. Of course it is true much of that money comes from former grad students and a large portion of grads that dont really care about sports, but even so I wouldnt worry about Stanford having to run bake sales to pay for whatever they want to do.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

This is great fodder for the boomers who love to claim moral and/or academic high ground when OU is facefucking us for the 3rd straight year.

Nobody fucking does that. When we lost in overtime last year nobody was saying "wait until Men's Swimming"

It is kind of pathetic that our athletic department wins some award and you have to invent some stupid false narrative. You know, and everyone knows, we would gladly trade this for victory over OU in football every year. But since that is impossible because magical trade award spells aren't real we can't do that.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Nobody fucking does that. When we lost in overtime last year nobody was saying "wait until Men's Swimming"

It is kind of pathetic that our athletic department wins some award and you have to invent some stupid false narrative. You know, and everyone knows, we would gladly trade this for victory over OU in football every year. But since that is impossible because magical trade award spells aren't real we can't do that.

“I’d rather go 1-11 every year than cheat like <insert football program having the kind of success I dream of having>“ is a tale as old as Hornsfans.

The fact that this was posted in the football forum kinda proves my point.

Edited by CurlyDumps