2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Game On....LOL they figured that out fast

Props to the official who had the balls to allow the game to be played.  No matter how ridiculous the restrictions.  

NC State will have four pitchers available.  They probably have a defensive player who can pitch as well.

I assume the protocol dictates, those other 22 guys on their team have to sit out tomorrow's game too, or is there some sorta 24-hour deal where you can tested again, and if you're negative, you can play?  

I'd hate to be the N.C. State player who refuse the vaccine and ends up being patient zero.  This if this was the 1986 College World Series, half the players would mix the vaccine with a half gram of blow and snort the fucking thing and win a double-header.  But no, some pitcher's mom heard at church that vaccines would effect their play in Omaha, as well as their fertility and relationship with Jesus. 

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I assume the protocol dictates, those other 22 guys on their team have to sit out tomorrow's game too, or is there some sorta 24-hour deal where you can tested again, and if you're negative, you can play?  

I'd hate to be the N.C. State player who refuse the vaccine and ends up being patient zero?  

you can still fail a test if you've had the vax.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I'd hate to be the N.C. State player who refuse the vaccine and ends up being patient zero?  

He did it to himself. Fuck around and find out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is basically a walk for Vandy but at least they have to throw some pitchers and will have to play 2 games to do it.  I can see them getting Kumar out early.

Go wolfpack!

or Vandy shits the bed and NC State keeps playing out of their minds...which would be great. Cinderella story continues.  F Vandy

bill murray golf GIF by Hollywood Suite

Edited by ballrific
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I wonder how many actually failed a test? 

From a purely technical perspective, if they follow CDC guidelines here's who can play from what I understand:

1. Fully vaccinated (2 weeks after the last shot) with a negative test (regardless of their contact with the dude who was positive)

2. Unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated with a negative test and no contact with the infected

So any player who tests positive and anyone who isn't fully vaccinated and had contact with someone who had a positive test is OUT.

(apologies to @immamac but wanted to keep it technical - delete if necessary)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

what the fuck is up with all the assumptions about this?

#1 you can both be vaxxed and still get covid, the SYMPTOMS are reduced and the transferability of the virus is much lower

#2, the players could follow every protocol in Omaha, and if they hung around with their parents/family/GF  after the game, that could be how they got it.

Just now, dcar00 said:

you can still fail a test if you've had the vax.

I know, but statistically speaking this age bracket 18-35 is the lowest vaccinated group in the U.S.   By far.  Plus N.C. State graduates aren't the sharpest pencils in the ACC.  Could be a false positive as well.  Was just bringing up how shitty a kid would feel if he skipped the shot and ended up infecting teammates.  

Some N.C. State pitcher is like the guy who's been bitten by the zombie or vampire, and hasn't turned yet.  And is trying to play it cool so nobody knows he's not one of them anymore.  Can't taste anything, running fever, coughing up a lung, keeps passing out during team meetings, all the while trying to play if off like no big deal.  

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

The protocols are significantly different for vaxxed players/coaches and non-vaxxed players/coaches. 

Source: My friend is a D-1 head tennis coach. 

interesting. so a vaxd player can play if he fails a test?

I wonder if some players didn't get vaxxed because of concerns about side effects knocking them out of an in-season series.  I wasn't able to get a shot until April and that would be a tough point in the season to have your team taking shots.  Yes, it's dumb to not be vaccinated, but I can see that being used as a reason not to get a shot.

Edited by PhillyD
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I know, but statistically speaking this age bracket 18-35 is the lowest vaccinated group in the U.S.   By far.  Plus N.C. State graduates aren't the sharpest pencils in the ACC.  Could be a false positive as well.  Was just bringing up how shitty a kid would feel if he skipped the shot and ended up infecting teammates.  

Some N.C. State pitcher is like the guy who's been bitten by the zombie or vampire, and hasn't turned yet.  And is trying to play it cool so nobody knows he's not one of them anymore.  Can't taste anything, running fever, coughing up a lung, keeps passing out during team meetings, all the while trying to play if off like no big deal.  

sure could also be no one has any symptoms.  some could not be playing due to contact tracing not for failed test.  we don't know.  all we know is that apparently 14 NSCU players are in protocol.

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

what the fuck is up with all the assumptions about this?

#1 you can both be vaxxed and still get covid, the SYMPTOMS are reduced and the transferability of the virus is much lower

#2, the players could follow every protocol in Omaha, and if they hung around with their parents/family/GF  after the game, that could be how they got it.

I didn't say that's what happened.  But it is quite possibly one cause of the team's current predicament.  You put 35 kids together in a hotel for a week and a handful of them didn't have a measles vaccination.  And then a measles outbreak occurs within the group.  Maybe it was a parent, coach, maid, or a remote control.  Maybe it was one of the unvaccinated kids who spread the measles.  And caused others to test for it as well.  Sometimes people spread viruses.  If it was a non-vaccinated Wolfpack player, he'd probably feel pretty shitty.  That's all.  People don't like to let down their teammates.  

I'm guessing they won't reveal what happened for privacy reasons and that's fine.  But if Vandy wins today, they're gonna have to come somewhat clean because they gotta play again less than 24 hours and both teams, and the CWS officials, have a right to know the situtation.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I could see a situation where they don't test them regularly like non-vaccinated players.  But in a case where there was exposure, they would. 

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

If the tourney is following that, then it implies everybody not playing is not vaccinated.

<you serious clark.gif>

19 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

Props to the official who had the balls to allow the game to be played.  No matter how ridiculous the restrictions.  

NC State will have four pitchers available.  They probably have a defensive player who can pitch as well.

Yeah put can any of the pitchers play a defensive position? They only have 9 position players. I guess you bat the pitcher, so you save a position player in case you need them later in the game.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Coach:  "What's the big deal?  It's like a 48-hour bug?"

Trainers: "Coach, we've been up here a week."

Coach:  "That's what I said...148 hour bug.  They're fine, give 'em some gatorade."  

So only non-vaxxed players are being tested.  i'm guessing that's why people were jumping to this wild assumption that the spread may have been cause by a non-vaxxed player who came into contact with someone on "the outside" (parent, friend, fan, hotel staff, media, et. al.).  I'm sure there's a conspiracy theory in here somewhere.  I mean Vanderbilt's uniforms do look like some kinda evil secret regime.

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

im actually fucking stunned that a coach entered this fucking tourney knowing that more than HALF your players werent vaxxed????  How in the holy fuck do you allow that to happen?

Sports teams have not exactly been a shining beacon of medical science throughout this societal restart.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Umpire in the 8th inning Wolfpack mound meeting, "Uh coach, you're gonna need to put in a pitcher."

N.C. State coach in Hackman voice, "My team's on the field, blue!"  

7 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

If the tourney is following that, then it implies everybody not playing is not vaccinated.

<you serious clark.gif>

looks like they might be testing everybody every other day but I also saw language in the same document about vaccinated players not needing to be tested. 

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well that seems like poor decision making on someone's part.

Jarrett would have failed before this then correct?  I'm sure symptomatic would not pass the test.  wonder when they were tested since Sat?

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

im actually fucking stunned that a coach entered this fucking tourney knowing that more than HALF your players werent vaxxed????  How in the holy fuck do you allow that to happen?

Wait, so you really expect an NCAA Division 1 baseball coach to just "Not enter the NCAA Tournament" just because only half the team was vaccinated? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2