2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

19 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I thought he was the LB that Herman and Yancy ran off because they didn’t believe his shoulder was really hurt during the spring so they punished him and called him lazy. Come to find out he transferred and had a legit shoulder issue. 

You’re right 

https://hornet.fullcoll.edu/johnson-hopeful-for-new-season-at-ucla-despite-pandemic/

On 4/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, Hornlover said:

"Alabama wide receiver Agiye Hall has been suspended for violation of team rules, coach Nick Saban told reporters on Wednesday."

"He is suspended from the team for violations of some team rules, whether they're academic or whatever. It doesn't really matter," said Saban (via 247Sports). "Everybody has a responsibility and obligation to respect the principles and values and do what they need to do. They're all there to help them be more successful, so to respect those and do those are always really helpful.

"He's had that opportunity once, so I don't know what his plans are for the future," Saban said.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33686229/alabama-crimson-tide-receiver-agiye-hall-suspended-violation-team-rules

Wonder if we go after him now that he's in the portal. Top 40 recruit only a year ago, obvious connections with the staff, but clearly some off field stuff going on.

Normally I'd say take a flyer but idk if that'll help our culture overhaul..

35 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This dude is very good. Not a scrub - like a potential NFL star.

Like, the reason we should have been holding out waiting to offer an OL?

Sounds like a much better idea than offering the first warm body to enter the portal, just so we could get a 1 year rental JAG who would accomplish nothing for us, other than possibly reducing @JFKFC's incessant crying for a few weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

Like, the reason we should have been holding out waiting to offer an OL?

Sounds like a much better idea than offering the first warm body to enter the portal, just so we could get a 1 year rental JAG who would accomplish nothing for us, other than possibly reducing @JFKFC's incessant crying for a few weeks. 

Don't get too excited. He isn't enrolled yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Interesting. Always leery of looking at guys in the portal at OL and DL with little on-field production but a guy who’s entering his second year with Mims type of skill set excites me a lot more than someone who was entering their 3rd and 4th year with a similar high school rating but limited actual playing time.

Edited by Hookem2147

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’s a georgia kid who just won a national championship playing in the sec for georgia. but it’s fun to think he might consider coming to play for texas in the big XII for two years. 

For $150k I think he’ll have some thoughts about it

10 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Read second hand that the UGA boards think Mims is headed to a Florida school - FSU or Miami if he can’t get a waiver to play at UF.  If that’s the case, would have to think that Miami with Cristobal’s track record is the favorite. 

Of course schools in the southeast would be the favorite. UF, though, isn't going to get a waiver. And the takeaway from the talk that you are hearing is the player hasn't been recruited to the portal which means that he is somewhat open. So, if we can provide him playing and monetary incentives greater than non-SEC schools in the southeast then we could have an opportunity especially since he will be able to play in the SEC when he is here. Unfortunately, we haven't done anything so far though to show that we are serious about OL in the portal. Maybe, Flood didn't want guys transferring out in the spring. Maybe our coaches don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. I don't know.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Of course schools in the southeast would be the favorite. UF, though, isn't going to get a waiver. And the takeaway from the talk that you are hearing is the player hasn't been recruited to the portal which means that he is somewhat open. So, if we can provide him playing and monetary incentives greater than non-SEC schools in the southeast then we could have an opportunity especially since he will be able to play in the SEC when he is here. Unfortunately, we haven't done anything so far though to show that we are serious about OL in the portal. Maybe, Flood didn't want guys transferring out in the spring. Maybe our coaches don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. I don't know.

it's a no brainer to try to get this guy (especially with Flood as his primary recruiter in Bama) and our Oline having 0 good tackles at the moment.

Just now, HenryJames said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that they don't have any Top 10 recruits at tackle.

Yeah, just did a quick google search. They signed two tackles in the 2022 class and both were ranked outside the top 700 in the country. 2021 class had one tackle who was ranked around 350.

Looks like the only OL Cristobal has taken from the portal so far is an interior guy.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Interesting factoids.  Mims had no offer from UNC.  Searles is the new Oline coach at UGa.  The fruit of Searles’ loins works at Texas. 

Funny you mention that because this popped up from a few days ago when I searched Mims name last night. Probably won’t end up mattering too much because Georgia is a machine like Bama now but Searels was a huge downgrade from Luke.

https://www.wgauradio.com/sports/college/kirby-smart-reveals-progress-mammoth-georgia-offensive-lineman-amarius-mims/CTJSJ6I4HJDG3NT5GTDUQOQPMY/?outputType=amp

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Unfortunately, we haven't done anything so far though to show that we are serious about OL in the portal. Maybe, Flood didn't want guys transferring out in the spring.

This probably played a pretty big considering we can’t even fill out a two deep right now. He also probably didn’t want to scare off any of the 2022 OL like Banks, Williams, Campbell and Neto late in process by taking someone in December. Who knows if any promises were made to those guys.

I would take Mims over any of them though outside of maybe Banks. If taking Mims causes someone like Neto to hit the portal a week after he gets on campus that’s a one for one trade I’ll happily make.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Flood should be familiar with him.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Amarius-Mims-125509/RecruitInterests/

And some of his highlights.

Not really helpful, just video of him mauling smaller kids in the run game. Must have been a very run heavy offense. I would think he would interest FLood. Kid is exactly what Flood looks for as far as size is concerned. Have to wonder how the kid is in pass sets 

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Not really helpful, just video of him mauling smaller kids in the run game. Must have been a very run heavy offense. I would think he would interest FLood. Kid is exactly what Flood looks for as far as size is concerned. Have to wonder how the kid is in pass sets 

Pass protection was his lowest rated area in scouting reports coming out of high school.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

don’t do this to yourself. 

I keep seeing we had good YPC, and the o'line was improving as the season went on.

That's good but I think the most important thing for an offensive line is being able to get the 1 or 2 yards needed for a 1st down when the opponent knows you are going to run.

Don't think we've been very good at that.

I don't have any stats to back that up other than my drunken memory of many failures trying to make short yardage first downs.  

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

I keep seeing we had good YPC, and the o'line was improving as the season went on.

That's good but I think the most important thing for an offensive line is being able to get the 1 or 2 yards needed for a 1st down when the opponent knows you are going to run.

Don't think we've been very good at that.

I don't have any stats to back that up other than my drunken memory of many failures trying to make short yardage first downs.  

I’ll settle for OL being able to handle simple DL stunts and blitzes

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree, but I’m questioning whether nimble, quick, technical wizard pass protector is the most important evaluation trait to our coaches.  I think big giant dude is more their style at OT.

Flood is a size queen, so I would guess he has interest. I am just saying for immediate help, Texas needs a dancing bear in the starting 5 on the OL. Texas has lumbering bears 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)