2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

46 minutes ago, Octavian said:

I really don’t understand the whole Mims vs. incoming freshmen argument. In what world is a guy who has two years of college under his belt not a better option than a freshman? The guy is huge, clearly making progress based on what his coaches have said, and was behind an AA which warranted him not getting playing time. If you’re Flood, I’d have to think this is a no brainer. If anything, this gives the guys who are projects (like Cam Williams) more time to develop into the high ceiling guys they could be.

Mims has one year of college under his belt, not two 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Now this is a stupid take. What’s wrong with a one year rental who starts next year while the freshman can wait until they are ready? 

Darion Dunn, Ben Davis, and Ray Thornton all say hello. Complete waste of a scholarship and play time. Sometimes it works and some times it doesnt. Those 3 were a negative to the program. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Darion Dunn, Ben Davis, and Ray Thornton all say hello. Complete waste of a scholarship and play time. Sometimes it works and some times it doesnt. Those 3 were a negative to the program. 

lay off the bong today, sir.  Davis was our sack leader last season, not a waste of a scholarship!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Now this is a stupid take. What’s wrong with a one year rental who starts next year while the freshman can wait until they are ready? 

Because you're taking developmental time away from the freshmen OL. The potential positives for playing freshmen exceed the potential negatives.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Haha 1

Mims is a no-brainer take. Even if you plan on plugging in Kelvin Banks at LT when he arrives, that still leaves Christian Jones at RT. I know there is some thought of putting Devon Campbell there in a pinch, but ideally he will be Angilau’s replacement in 2023 or compete with Conner for reps at the other guard spot. Cam Williams isn’t going to be ready to be a starter this season either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

HE led Texas to an 8-5 season. That was SOOO worth it. He came in with Mike GRandy. 

fucking lulz at dismissing Calvin Anderson. he's the last NFL tackle we've had on campus. only if we can find another tackle transfer to "suck" as much as Anderson.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Mims is a no-brainer take. Even if you plan on plugging in Kelvin Banks at LT when he arrives, that still leaves Christian Jones at RT. I know there is some thought of putting Devon Campbell there in a pinch, but ideally he will be Angilau’s replacement in 2023 or compete with Conner for reps at the other guard spot. Cam Williams isn’t going to be ready to be a starter this season either. 

Or right tackle. Mims and Banks at the tackle spots sound a whole hell of a lot better than what we have currently this spring. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

fucking lulz at dismissing Calvin Anderson. he's the last NFL tackle we've had on campus. only if we can find another tackle transfer to "suck" as much as Anderson.

LULZ. Nobody said he sucked. The issue isnt whether Calvin Anderson was a solid player or not. The issue was it worth picking up any player and finishing with 8 wins? 

Just now, Codaxx said:

10-4 its is reasonable. I was thinking 2019 season. Braun was another one. Texas has not faired well with transfers. 

Probably because Texas has not fairer well at coaching hires to improve said transfers. Warehime and Hand. Has to be the worst back to back hires for a position as I can remember. 

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

LULZ. Nobody said he sucked. The issue isnt whether Calvin Anderson was a solid player or not. The issue was it worth picking up any player and finishing with 8 wins? 

As opposed to the 5 wins we had last year? Yes. And we won 10 games in Anderson’s lone year here anyway, not 8.

So not only is the point you’re trying to make stupid, you’re also factually wrong about said point.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably because Texas has not fairer well at coaching hires to improve said transfers. Warehime and Hand. Has to be the worst back to back hires for a position as I can remember. 

That is the point. Unless you got your shit together and can compete, I am just not a huge fan of the portal. Its more about where the program is, than the individual portal player. Grab guys just to hit mediocrity makes no sense to me. It should almost always be a youth movement, unless you can win double digits. 

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

As opposed to the 5 wins we had last year? Yes. And we won 10 games in Anderson’s lone year here anyway, not 8.

So not only is the point you’re trying to make stupid, you’re also factually wrong about said point.

I already admitted that. I dont really care about 8 or 5. Though 8 wins might be the worst the record in College football for a blueblood. It means you are really mediocre and the staff may stick around continuing the rot of the program. 

Edited by Codaxx

Seems pretty clear that Mims was recruited into the portal by FSU and/or Miami. I’d take him for sure but long shot for us imo.

Agiye probably wasn’t recruited in and we have obvious ties to him. Is he worth taking? On field, 100%. But impossible to say without knowing what happened that got him suspended. We aren’t in a position to take a bunch of questionable culture guys though. I bet he’ll look at the Florida schools and USC too. 

Caleb Johnson is a bizarre one. Sure it’s a different staff but what about the teammates he left high and dry when he peaced out? 

In the short term, Mathis still the most important of all of them tbh.

29 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Seems pretty clear that Mims was recruited into the portal by FSU and/or Miami. I’d take him for sure but long shot for us imo.

Agiye probably wasn’t recruited in and we have obvious ties to him. Is he worth taking? On field, 100%. But impossible to say without knowing what happened that got him suspended. We aren’t in a position to take a bunch of questionable culture guys though. I bet he’ll look at the Florida schools and USC too. 

Caleb Johnson is a bizarre one. Sure it’s a different staff but what about the teammates he left high and dry when he peaced out? 

In the short term, Mathis still the most important of all of them tbh.

If you scratch up enough NIL coin you can win his services. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Nickleson. That was ugly. 

So how can you be against starting Anderson over Nickleson? That seems very wrong.

I understand you are against transfers and I am for them. Do you remember when it was pointed out in 2005 that they were all dogs and there was nobody for USC to pick on. Good OCs will find holes in a defense and make them pay. Same for good DCs. Filling those holes with someone who is simply good (not necessarily all conference or a starter in the NFL) can help a team tremendously. And all coaches (ours especially) have short tenures where they can be successful. Wait for next year isn't a viable strategy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I already admitted that. I dont really care about 8 or 5. Though 8 wins might be the worst the record in College football for a blueblood. It means you are really mediocre and the staff may stick around continuing the rot of the program. 

If you just want to get rid of the coaching staff, I get it. But I don’t want to watch anymore 5-7 seasons, so Im always going to opt for improving the roster over not improving the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If you just want to get rid of the coaching staff, I get it. But I don’t want to watch anymore 5-7 seasons, so Im always going to opt for improving the roster over not improving the roster. 

It’s like a business. You are growing or decaying. If you need to use the portal to get to 8 wins, you are likely dying. I also doubt the ability of most coaching staffs to be consistently successful in the transfer portal (MOST staffs)

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So how can you be against starting Anderson over Nickleson? That seems very wrong.

I understand you are against transfers and I am for them. Do you remember when it was pointed out in 2005 that they were all dogs and there was nobody for USC to pick on. Good OCs will find holes in a defense and make them pay. Same for good DCs. Filling those holes with someone who is simply good (not necessarily all conference or a starter in the NFL) can help a team tremendously. And all coaches (ours especially) have short tenures where they can be successful. Wait for next year isn't a viable strategy.

I am not against them. I just want a solid foundation and use portal players to smooth the rough edges. I just am a bit more black and white on things. Compete for conference championships or build for the future, anything in between is wasted motion 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It’s like a business. You are growing or decaying. If you need to use the portal to get to 8 wins, you are likely dying. I also doubt the ability of most coaching staffs to be consistently successful in the transfer portal (MOST staffs)

You should hate yourself for even thinking that let alone writing it.

Just now, Codaxx said:

I am not against them. I just want a solid foundation and use portal players to smooth the rough edges. I just am a bit more black and white on things. Compete for conference championships or build for the future, anything in between is wasted motion 

The two transfers that are currently being discussed would be sophomores. That helps now and for building the future. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

What kind of butterfly effect shit is this? Bringing in an upgrade at LT this year will hurt our playoff chances in the years to come? I'll take my chances.

Dam right.  Might be some over-analyzing going on here,   if you can improve the team do it.  

Recruit well for 2023 will more than likely come from a successful fall season and if we are tossing out freshmen mixed with the shit line we had then get used to trying to figure out a way to get excited about 3 star guys. And turning into aggy that all of them are “hidden gems” this cycle. Win on the field and we will probably get back to back classes with highly rated OL and DL. We have to have badass lines to compete for anything worth a shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

Jesus Christ, who let all these smooth-brained idiots in from the football board?

It's not that hard of a concept. You have to look at the state of the current roster, and try to determine when your window is to compete for a championship. It's clearly not 2022. Too many holes on the OL, the DL, the LBs, and inexperience in the secondary. And we've already used 30-something counters in this cycle.

Sure, we can add one or two players from the portal. But, while adding grad transfers (like Mathis) or Juniors/Seniors (like Caleb Johnson) might help out in the short term, it's likely only going to help turn a 7-5 team into an 8-6 team. Hell, maybe even 9-5. But, then you start next year with holes in your roster again, and you've got limited experience for the (hopefully) talented young players on your roster. So now you have inexperienced players in 2023 , and the cycle continues.

Or, you can set your attention on recruiting high school kids, and load up on 4stars and 5stars that can play significant minutes as freshmen/sophomores and be ready to contribute in a couple years. 

Now, if a 5-star redshirt freshman OL hits the portal market then you go after him. He can help your program out immediately, and also for the next 2-3 years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Well the potential negative for playing the wrong OL is your QB getting FUBAR'd so I have to disagree. And FWIW I generally agree with how the staff handled the portal/high school numbers back in December when the portal options were much less appealing 

I feel like you spend enough time on the recruiting board for me to say your takes on this page are baaad. You think Arch is going to come play for a team that misses a second straight bowl under Sark? Johntay Cook? Rueben Owens?

Literally everybody wants Sark to build our program with high school recruits. The point is that he's not going to be able to do that unless he can show progress in the win column this year. If he goes in-home in late December while other schools are prepping for their bowl games, no recruit is going to listen to him say, "Well the reason we only won 5 games this year is because I'm developing our OL for 2023 and 2024, trust me bro"

Eight wins sustains the narrative.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Jesus Christ, who let all these smooth-brained idiots in from the football board?

It's not that hard of a concept. You have to look at the state of the current roster, and try to determine when your window is to compete for a championship. It's clearly not 2022. Too many holes on the OL, the DL, the LBs, and inexperience in the secondary. And we've already used 30-something counters in this cycle.

Sure, we can add one or two players from the portal. But, while adding grad transfers (like Mathis) or Juniors/Seniors (like Caleb Johnson) might help out in the short term, it's likely only going to help turn a 7-5 team into an 8-6 team. Hell, maybe even 9-5. But, then you start next year with holes in your roster again, and you've got limited experience for the (hopefully) talented young players on your roster. So now you have inexperienced players in 2023 , and the cycle continues.

Or, you can set your attention on recruiting high school kids, and load up on 4stars and 5stars that can play significant minutes as freshmen/sophomores and be ready to contribute in a couple years. 

Now, if a 5-star redshirt freshman OL hits the portal market then you go after him. He can help your program out immediately, and also for the next 2-3 years.

This is a false dichotomy. We already signed the 22 class. We don't need to worry about scholarship numbers or how adding a transfer will affect a high school recruitment. Any holes that we have next year but are covered by a grad transfer this year will be waiting for us regardless. 

Go get guys that will help win football games. Winning is good for the culture. It's essential for recruiting. More quality guys on the roster improves development of younger pieces. Making a bowl game gives you 15 more practices and an extra game for the team. 

2023 is a pie-in-the-sky, everything has to be completely perfect for us to compete for a title - Ewers 3rd year, Xavier 3rd year, Brooks/Blue at RB, and some combination of Connor, Karic, the 7 OL from the 2022 class, and a portal or two might give us a solid enough line to put up a ton of points. Then you have to hope that you can get production from Finkley, Murphy, K Ross, Jordon Thomas, Tapp, Bledsoe, Burke - along with some spin downs at LB or a portal or two there, and hope that this year's young secondary pieces put it together. 

More realistically, though, you're probably building for 2025 - and hoping that some of the 7 OL we just signed stick around to be 5th year seniors, and you somehow sign Arch Manning who's in his second year starting, along with guys like Rueben Owens, and Johntay Cook, etc. and hope some others from 2022 can contribute meaningfully.

As you get closer to those windows, you can make a better estimation on your ability to compete, and that's when you start filling in the missing pieces with portal. Otherwise, since the hit-rate on high school 4 stars is probably something like 30%, you need to sign as many high school kids as you can, so 

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This is a false dichotomy. We already signed the 22 class. We don't need to worry about scholarship numbers or how adding a transfer will affect a high school recruitment. Any holes that we have next year but are covered by a grad transfer this year will be waiting for us regardless. 

Go get guys that will help win football games. Winning is good for the culture. It's essential for recruiting. More quality guys on the roster improves development of younger pieces. Making a bowl game gives you 15 more practices and an extra game for the team. 

If we don't already have the pieces already on this roster to make a bowl game now, then we're completely fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)