2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

52 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Oh geez. Josh White’s decision was made before he even entered the portal. Please stop being such a whiny fucking cunt.

It’s not just about him. It’s about this team having obvious roster deficiencies the last two years a r the coaching staff either not recognizing it or being unable to adequately address it. 

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That's what he does best. It's not like Texas didn't just get a commit from one of the best off ball LBs in the state.

Dang it. Htownhorn is right again. That 2023 HS linebacker is really going to change our defense this year.  Of course we don’t need a transfer since we took him. 

After transfers, position switches, and injuries, we have maybe 3 ILBs between the 2021-2023 classes, including Burrell. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would have to think there are better LB's than Jaylen Moody, Mccaskill and the dude from Vandy who will enter the portal over the next month and a half or so. We will see.

Was there anyone else I'm missing on LB so far that we showed interest in? The UNLV guy was an edge player and the guy from CMU I think was a safety but maybe I'm not remembering right. 

Troy Brown was a 3 time all conference LB from CMU who transferred to Ole Miss this offseason. There’s been other guys too who would’ve been upgrades. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Atticus said:

They went after Brown, but apparently not hard enough to overcome his family motivations for staying closer to home. That’s a loss. 

More options will present themselves

Brown was weird. Stay closer to home because of a kid, but ended up at Ole Miss. The staff did go after Moody, White, and Brown though. 

16 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

40% by quantity, sure, and it's an incomplete list

Sark isn't the first to have a bunch of talented dudes visit. Hell, Herman landed like fifteen 4 stars in 2 months in summer of 2020. That's a lot more impressive than anything Sark has done in recruiting and he was fired within six months. And I'm not bashing Sark. I'd give him a solid B+ (in recruiting) so far. Let's just keep narratives honest

There are about 20 national top 100 guys on that list that Hornius provided, including the number 1 player in the nation. Herman never came close to that.

35 minutes ago, Atticus said:

They went after Brown, but apparently not hard enough to overcome his family motivations for staying closer to home. That’s a loss. 

You’re right. The guy whose kids live in Michigan that committed to Ole Miss definitely passed on Texas because it was too far from his kids. Nothing the coaching staff could’ve done about that one. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

There are about 20 national top 100 guys on that list that Hornius provided, including the number 1 player in the nation. Herman never came close to that.

I'm too lazy to go back over previous visit weekends but FFS off the top of my head - Texas got commits from 12 or 13 of the top 125 in 2018. Not visits, commits. That doesn't mean this wasn't an excellent group or that people shouldn't be excited about it but signing them (and then developing that talent) is the goal. Let's not act like any HC getting top tier talent to visit Texas is notable or that it's unique to Sarkisian because it's not and more importantly the expectation should absolutely be Texas hosting top talent. It is clear that this staff's recruiting impact is improved dramatically with the addition of Marion and Choice and they are showing immediate results. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re right. The guy whose kids live in Michigan that committed to Ole Miss definitely passed on Texas because it was too far from his kids. Nothing the coaching staff could’ve done about that one. 

I know that. But I’m saying they didn’t go $hard$ enough to overcome it. Ole miss did. That’s why it’s a loss. 

So far in the portal this year, we've picked up Ewers, Neyor, Billingsley, and Watts . Pretty impressive haul from a quality standpoint, not great in terms of quantity.

So far we're at 28 freshmen and 4 portals (if you count the two Special Teams signees).

With 25 counters for 2022, plus 7 portal waivers, and 2 applied toward previous years - we're looking at maybe 2 scholarships left for transfers? 

It's probably prudent to hold onto those for somebody that's going to be a guaranteed improvement to the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

So far in the portal this year, we've picked up Ewers, Neyor, Billingsley, and Watts . Pretty impressive haul from a quality standpoint, not great in terms of quantity.

So far we're at 28 freshmen and 4 portals (if you count the two Special Teams signees).

With 25 counters for 2022, plus 7 portal waivers, and 2 applied toward previous years - we're looking at maybe 2 scholarships left for transfers? 

It's probably prudent to hold onto those for somebody that's going to be a guaranteed improvement to the roster. 

There’s a ton of games that can be played with class counters, especially when it comes to transfers, so I don’t think that’s a limiting factor. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Brown was from Flint, Michigan and claimed he wanted to stay close to family because he had a kid and then ended up in Mississippi.

So yeah.

Well, if the prevailing truth was the Ole Miss "NIL" portal game, the argument could be made that he could better support the kid from Oxford. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I'm too lazy to go back over previous visit weekends but FFS off the top of my head - Texas got commits from 12 or 13 of the top 125 in 2018. Not visits, commits.

Well that's great. Not relevant to my statement, which was about the amount of talent that Sark brought in in over a 9-day period, but good on Herman for doing that.

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

Felt they were going to get the guy that never even visited? Weird

Though he did say he wanted to take his time and make sure he got it absolutely right this time, but he never got a chance to play for the guy he really fell for during his initial process. Now he has it. 

White going anywhere but Baylor would have been an upset. Not sure he even had a prior relationship with any coaches on our staff. 

I was standing next to a guy on the phone with a staff member when the White portal information hit and that fucking coach said they were all over him and he was all over them. So, yeah, they were bullish on getting the guy. Did that fade once they couldn't get him on campus? HOLY FUCKING SHIT! You nailed it, I'm sure it did. 

You've been brave on this board in ardently defending this coaching staff from every aspect, whether it's playcalling, portal work, recruiting, personnel and depth chart management, etc. I can respect that. I think it is laughably idiotic and founded in fantasy, but I can respect the effort nonetheless. Let's see how it works out.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

That's what he does best. It's not like Texas didn't just get a commit from one of the best off ball LBs in the state.

Others already addressed it, but you're using a red herring in a feeble attempt to make a point. Take your weak rhetorical devices and go sit in the corner while the adults are talking. 

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not just about him. It’s about this team having obvious roster deficiencies the last two years a r the coaching staff either not recognizing it or being unable to adequately address it. 

Dang it. Htownhorn is right again. That 2023 HS linebacker is really going to change our defense this year.  Of course we don’t need a transfer since we took him. 

I forgot that the dude that Htownclown quoted is still a poster on this board. I often find it entertaining when I stumble upon imbeciles I have on ignore being affirmed in quotes by other imbeciles that I somehow do not have on ignore. 

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

I know that. But I’m saying they didn’t go $hard$ enough to overcome it. Ole miss did. That’s why it’s a loss. 

You don't know what in the fuck you're talking about and yet you can't stop even when you're behind. First, you claim definitively that Brown didn't come to Texas because of family motivations to stay close to home. That's immediately discredited by people who actually pay attention to this stuff. Do you come back and own it with a "man, I missed that part, oh well"? Indeed no.

Next, you immediately claim to have known it wasn't the family motivation to stay close to home that you'd just previously claimed to be the reason for the Texas miss, and then you blamed it on money, which is also laughably wrong in this instance. 

Kiffin has come out publicly and stated that they cannot compete for recruits in the NIL game, so they'd be exploring the transfer portal aggressively. Texas has thrown piles of money at guys in the transfer portal, with success. Neyor, Ewers, Billingsley, and Watts have all reached 6+ figures by transferring here. Texas did not lose out to Ole Miss on this player because of money. Texas missed out on this player for 3 reasons: 1) he was guaranteed a starting spot if healthy at Ole Miss 2) Ole Miss prioritized him over all other options and made that clear in comparison to other schools and 3) Ole Miss beat Texas up on recent performance and recent drafted player history. 

So, just fucking stop. Either have the backbone to simply admit being uninformed or just lay low for awhile, maybe pay some better attention, regroup, and come back at some point in the future and try harder. And wear less clown make-up while posting.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I was standing next to a guy on the phone with a staff member when the White portal information hit and that fucking coach said they were all over him and he was all over them. So, yeah, they were bullish on getting the guy.

I bet this really happened!

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s in lol

"Alabama wide receiver Agiye Hall has been suspended for violation of team rules, coach Nick Saban told reporters on Wednesday."

"He is suspended from the team for violations of some team rules, whether they're academic or whatever. It doesn't really matter," said Saban (via 247Sports). "Everybody has a responsibility and obligation to respect the principles and values and do what they need to do. They're all there to help them be more successful, so to respect those and do those are always really helpful.

"He's had that opportunity once, so I don't know what his plans are for the future," Saban said.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33686229/alabama-crimson-tide-receiver-agiye-hall-suspended-violation-team-rules

Edited by Hornlover
include Saban quote

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

"Alabama wide receiver Agiye Hall has been suspended for violation of team rules, coach Nick Saban told reporters on Wednesday."

"He is suspended from the team for violations of some team rules, whether they're academic or whatever. It doesn't really matter," said Saban (via 247Sports). "Everybody has a responsibility and obligation to respect the principles and values and do what they need to do. They're all there to help them be more successful, so to respect those and do those are always really helpful.

"He's had that opportunity once, so I don't know what his plans are for the future," Saban said.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33686229/alabama-crimson-tide-receiver-agiye-hall-suspended-violation-team-rules

yeah I know we all hate him but it’s hard not to appreciate saban’s lack of bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Seems like the perfect fit for Jimbo. 

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wasn't he the one who quit the team on the spot when the coaches tried to put in with the backups against Rice in 2019?

That could be him. I just knew he was in the portal or not with the team within like 2 weeks of the season starting. 

40 minutes ago, OB3 said:

That could be him. I just knew he was in the portal or not with the team within like 2 weeks of the season starting. 

I thought he was the LB that Herman and Yancy ran off because they didn’t believe his shoulder was really hurt during the spring so they punished him and called him lazy. Come to find out he transferred and had a legit shoulder issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I thought he was the LB that Herman and Yancy ran off because they didn’t believe his shoulder was really hurt during the spring so they punished him and called him lazy. Come to find out he transferred and had a legit shoulder issue. 

That’s what I remember. The season after he left us he was All-PAC 12 second team at ILB while we’ve been a dumpster fire at that spot the last two years. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)