2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone that looks at what is happening at the LT position this spring and thinks "gee, I don't think they've earmarked Banks at LT from the day he steps on campus" has stuck their head all the way up their own asshole. It doesn't matter how he looks at that position, they've told him he's a day 1 starter there if he shows up in shape and healthy. After watching Christian Jones last year, I guess I'm skeptical that this will be worse.

If Banks is at LT, does this move Jones to the right side? or will he just be the first swing T off the bench?

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone that looks at what is happening at the LT position this spring and thinks "gee, I don't think they've earmarked Banks at LT from the day he steps on campus" has stuck their head all the way up their own asshole. It doesn't matter how he looks at that position, they've told him he's a day 1 starter there if he shows up in shape and healthy. After watching Christian Jones last year, I guess I'm skeptical that this will be worse.

the success rate of true freshmen having success at LT is not high, add in that he isn't an EE and that success rate has to be even lower.

now, granted the bar here is "better than Christian Jones at LT" - so it isn't like he needs to be an AA as a true freshman, just saying that those expecting him to come in and blow peoples socks off are being unreasonable.

if he comes in and isn't a dumbass, and is healthy he should probably be a starter one way or another - which says so much about the state of the OL room

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

the success rate of true freshmen having success at LT is not high, add in that he isn't an EE and that success rate has to be even lower.

now, granted the bar here is "better than Christian Jones at LT" - so it isn't like he needs to be an AA as a true freshman, just saying that those expecting him to come in and blow peoples socks off are being unreasonable.

if he comes in and isn't a dumbass, and is healthy he should probably be a starter one way or another - which says so much about the state of the OL room

This analysis from 2015 seems to show a pretty high rate of success for 5star tackles, and many of them were listed as Freshman All Americans or starting many games as Freshman. I'm guessing it's only gotten better in the last 7 years, as high school OL have gotten better instruction, nutrition, weightlifting, etc.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/how-five-star-offensive-linemen-panned-out-in-last-decade/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

This analysis from 2015 seems to show a pretty high rate of success for 5star tackles, and many of them were listed as Freshman All Americans or starting many games as Freshman. I'm guessing it's only gotten better in the last 7 years, as high school OL have gotten better instruction, nutrition, weightlifting, etc.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/how-five-star-offensive-linemen-panned-out-in-last-decade/

well, hot damn. that is good info. thanks for sharing - seriously good news!

Just now, Hornlover said:

It seems that Conner has taken over 1st team reps at LT recently.

I'm not sure if that's accurate. He's taken some reps there, but guys are moving around a lot because there are like seven healthy scholarship OL right now 

— Perhaps the biggest development on Tuesday was sophomore Hayden Conner continuing to get reps at left tackle with the first-team offense after also playing there in Saturday’s scrimmage.

Conner spent most of the first eight spring practices working at left and right guard opposite of Junior Angilau.

With Conner moving to left tackle, early enrollee freshman Cole Hutson was working at right guard with the first team on Tuesday while Angilau worked mostly at left guard with Jake Majors at center and Christian Jones at right tackle.

After Tuesday’s practice, Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said of Conner:

“Hayden is a guy I thought made really good strides last year as a true freshman and got some opportunities to play. I think he’s another guy that really took advantage of our eight-week winter conditioning. I thought he really changed his body - lost a little weight but got stronger.

“He’s a versatile guy. Clearly he’s got a guard playability, but yet he has the ability to go play tackle when needed. So, we like the flexibility there.

“And what I like about Hayden is he’s a tough guy. He’s committed. I think he has the right mentality internally from an offensive line perspective buying into Coach Flood. That group has to play as one, and I think he kind of embodies the characteristics we’re looking for.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-spring-football-practice-nuggets-quarterback-Quinn-Ewers-Hudson-Card-coach-Steve-Sarkisian-186108540/

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

It’s a gamble worth taking considering the dog shit we’ve been putting out there

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

"- It would have only taken one injury on the offensive line to really shake up the two-deep, but at Tuesday's full-padded practice, there were actually two contributor-level linemen missing action: Most importantly was LT Andrej Karic. Karic could take part in team stretch, but left with the trainers when the team went to positional walk-throughs. The other player missing time was second-team right tackle and walk-on Michael Balis. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, the Texas OL is so thin this spring that a walk-on missing practice actually disrupts the two-deep."

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

"- It would have only taken one injury on the offensive line to really shake up the two-deep, but at Tuesday's full-padded practice, there were actually two contributor-level linemen missing action: Most importantly was LT Andrej Karic. Karic could take part in team stretch, but left with the trainers when the team went to positional walk-throughs. The other player missing time was second-team right tackle and walk-on Michael Balis. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, the Texas OL is so thin this spring that a walk-on missing practice actually disrupts the two-deep."

Huh, hadn't heard Karic was missing time. That paragraph isn't included in the "free" article from 247. 

9 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

What's the latest on Hookfin after his donorcycle accident? Will he ever be back, or is he out-out?

My guess is that he gets medically retired after the spring for numbers purposes. He is never going to contribute now that this new class is inbound. He wasn't even able to crack the two deep with this aborted shit sandwich we have currently.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, NoName said:

Someone already posted some data, but not all freshmen tackles are the same. More importantly, it doesn't matter. The guy was guaranteed starting time and we're seeing that reflected with how they're working with the OLs at various positions this spring.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone already posted some data, but not all freshmen tackles are the same. More importantly, it doesn't matter. The guy was guaranteed starting time and we're seeing that reflected with how they're working with the OLs at various positions this spring.

yup, i was wrong and happy to be wrong in this situation.

54 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

What's the latest on Hookfin after his donorcycle accident? Will he ever be back, or is he out-out?

Wasn't he listed at like 265 pounds or something on the spring roster?

I hate to write a kid off but there's no way he is going to contribute at all this year and I would put the odds pretty low he ever contributes.

Edited by Hookem2147

I said in the O-Line thread that I wouldn't be surprised if Connor is our starting LT for the first part of the season. If all your options are flawed, put the guy there who will make the least mental mistakes. You can scheme a bit around physical limitations, but it's tough to make things work when your confused and indecisive LT is grabbing his nuts and watching guys take dead aim at the QB.

43 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

My guess is that he gets medically retired after the spring for numbers purposes. He is never going to contribute now that this new class is inbound. He wasn't even able to crack the two deep with this aborted shit sandwich we have currently.  

Wasn't he hurt last year too, and the year before. There is a trend with him.

Kelvin Banks is an astonishing prospect. Every time I saw him live I was impressed with his athleticism, power, and attitude.

He would systematically dominate the guys in front of him and, by the second half, he would have them on the ground and dance over them. A defense just demoralized by this guy who they can do nothing about; you could feel it in the stadium and see it on the opposing sideline. I don't think he'll walk onto campus and be our best player, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's our best tackle immediately (which might not be saying much... I watch more HS football than Longhorn football at this point honestly).

• Hook 'Em 3

Former Texas and UCLA linebacker Caleb Johnson told @EricNahlin he will probably make a visit to Austin early next week.

Johnson signed with Texas in 2019 out of Fullerton College in California. He appeared in three games for the Longhorns in 2019 before entering the portal in September of 2019. He transferred to UCLA, and started 17 games at linebacker for the Bruins over the last two seasons, including all seven games on UCLA's 2020 schedule.

He re-entered the portal last week.

Johnson told Inside Texas he is visiting Miami (Fla.) today.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Kelvin Banks is an astonishing prospect. Every time I saw him live I was impressed with his athleticism, power, and attitude.

He would systematically dominate the guys in front of him and, by the second half, he would have them on the ground and dance over them. A defense just demoralized by this guy who they can do nothing about; you could feel it in the stadium and see it on the opposing sideline. I don't think he'll walk onto campus and be our best player, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's our best tackle immediately (which might not be saying much... I watch more HS football than Longhorn football at this point honestly).

the question mark on whether he would be a really good recruit or an elite level recruit coming into his senior season wasn't pass blocking, agility, or size. It was aggression and want to in the run game. 

Here is but one small example of how that went:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

the question mark on whether he would be a really good recruit or an elite level recruit coming into his senior season wasn't pass blocking, agility, or size. It was aggression and want to in the run game. 

Above is but one small example of how that went...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I watched all of his HUDL. Would like to have seen him go up against guys over 250 lbs. A couple of defenders looked close. He always did well with the elite in 7 on 7, but a lot of holding and jersey pulling is allowed. Definitely excited to see what he can do against DI talent.

CHIEF

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)