Jump to content

2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)


closetojumping

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I guess we'll find out why we ignored a kid that talented. Either we have better options in the bag or we're as dumb as ever.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but i can see where guys at small schools could be really productive and then never crack the starting lineup at a place like Texas if they transferred. Devin Richardson is an example of that last year. They aren't just chasing productIon, they are looking for a specific profile. That means we will pass on some guys that would seem like obvious takes. The UNLV linebacker is the headscratcher so far this offseason with his HS coach on staff here, but they are showing at the very least that they believe what they are doing and sticking to their guns. Things could have turned out much differently had we not had the fortunate coaching changes, but they rolled the dice and won. I just hope we dont tempt fate too many times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but i can see where guys at small schools could be really productive and then never crack the starting lineup at a place like Texas if they transferred. Devin Richardson is an example of that last year. They aren't just chasing productIon, they are looking for a specific profile. That means we will pass on some guys that would seem like obvious takes. The UNLV linebacker is the headscratcher so far this offseason with his HS coach on staff here, but they are showing at the very least that they believe what they are doing and sticking to their guns. Things could have turned out much differently had we not had the fortunate coaching changes, but they rolled the dice and won. I just hope we dont tempt fate too many times.

Unfortunately incompetent people tend to misattribute good fortune to their own skill and competence when nothing can be further from the truth.

  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Haha this is a good thing in my eyes, we didn’t offer because we are confident in getting someone better

This is the thinking that led me to think last year’s disinterest from Flood/Sark in adding any portal OL meant that the talent already on campus was just that good…

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Getafix said:

 

He would make all those places equidistant, by driving through Silsbee (and picking up Patrick Hudson).

Is this a throwback to ShaggyTexas?

Or even back to ShaggyBevo days?

 I don’t believe that we were still with HornFans when our board went all “The Californians” and everyone had driving suggestions, but this reference has brought laughs and joy to my late night. I can go to sleep now. 😁✊😴

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To find some context for WR portal recruiting, I went back to the top 10 transfer options (per 247's WR transfer ratings) from last year and the date they entered the portal: 

  1. Arik Gilbert - January 2nd
  2. Wen'Dale Robinson - January 11th
  3. Puka Nacua - March 7th
  4. Jameson Williams - April 28th 
  5. Charleston Rambo - January 5th
  6. Jake Smith - June 22nd
  7. Daylen Baldwin - June 1st
  8. Grant Calcaterra - August 18th
  9. Samori Toure - November 24th
  10. Mookie Cooper - December 23rd

So, at this time last year, only 3 of the top 10 had entered the portal. Let's be a little patient here.

Yup. Players entering the portal is just getting started. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To find some context for WR portal recruiting, I went back to the top 10 transfer options (per 247's WR transfer ratings) from last year and the date they entered the portal: 

  1. Arik Gilbert - January 2nd
  2. Wen'Dale Robinson - January 11th
  3. Puka Nacua - March 7th
  4. Jameson Williams - April 28th 
  5. Charleston Rambo - January 5th
  6. Jake Smith - June 22nd
  7. Daylen Baldwin - June 1st
  8. Grant Calcaterra - August 18th
  9. Samori Toure - November 24th
  10. Mookie Cooper - December 23rd

So, at this time last year, only 3 of the top 10 had entered the portal. Let's be a little patient here.

Don't forget Worthy decommitted on April 15th before flipping to us on April 24th. Also Shadrach Banks entered the portal on April 26th. The Bru McCoy path is becoming more and more popular. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To find some context for WR portal recruiting, I went back to the top 10 transfer options (per 247's WR transfer ratings) from last year and the date they entered the portal: 

  1. Arik Gilbert - January 2nd
  2. Wen'Dale Robinson - January 11th
  3. Puka Nacua - March 7th
  4. Jameson Williams - April 28th 
  5. Charleston Rambo - January 5th
  6. Jake Smith - June 22nd
  7. Daylen Baldwin - June 1st
  8. Grant Calcaterra - August 18th
  9. Samori Toure - November 24th
  10. Mookie Cooper - December 23rd

So, at this time last year, only 3 of the top 10 had entered the portal. Let's be a little patient here.

3 of the top 5 ( Robinson, Williams, and Rambo) had absolute monster years for their new teams. And Nacua had a good year too. WR might be the easiest position to get out of the portal.
 

4 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Ketch warning, but worth noting.

 

 

Too small of a sample size to read much into, they just offered a WR from Wyoming. And Sark kept Dunn after he got the job.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, mvlonghorns said:

I wonder if Mims might go somewhere like tOSU. I imagine they might be in the market for another receiver to play opposite of JSN next year.

If the guy is worried about targets, tranferring to perhaps the most loaded WR room in the country would be a head scratcher.

12 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

I guess we'll find out why we ignored a kid that talented. Either we have better options in the bag or we're as dumb as ever.

This post sadly made me laugh. Of course you know the answer - we're as dumb as ever. Just default to it, lower your overall expectations, and enjoy the ride in Seven Loss Steve's busted-ass hoopty. 

12 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Haha this is a good thing in my eyes, we didn’t offer because we are confident in getting someone better

Serious question for you and anyone else with this line of thinking - what have you seen so far that merits giving Sarkisian and staff the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this? 

Texas may get some transfers right in this cycle, I hope so. At the same time, the staff didn't cover itself in glory in the first go-round at the portal. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure Saban isn’t going to ride with Slade Bolden as his number 1 WR next year. Alabama has to be the default option if a truly elite WR enters the portal.

Sark was a month late hiring a DC, and that was with Banks bailing him out when Sark’s own Rolodex came up empty.  I hope we’re right on top of everything, and a plan is about to come together A Team style.  But I don’t think history suggests that’s the most likely explanation.   And if not, I don’t know, maybe every blue blood will change head coaches again in June or something.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure seems like we've been a step behind in the portal other than Ewers/Watts. Even for offers like Neyor and the Albany guy, we've been late. Wish we had gone after that Jennings LB that KSU just got. 

Like others, I'm hopeful there's a plan for guys who aren't in the portal yet, which is certainly possible, but the lack of activity has been surprising. Given our staff ties, wouldn't be too surprised to see more from Bama once they finish up.

I know others will disagree but I personally will give the staff somewhat of a pass for last year's portal. They came in late, didn't fully know what was on the roster, and obviously had a ton on their plate as they built the staff and got ramped up. Obviously not a valid excuse if they screw up this year.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I know others will disagree but I personally will give the staff somewhat of a pass for last year's portal. They came in late, didn't fully know what was on the roster, and obviously had a ton on their plate as they built the staff and got ramped up. Obviously not a valid excuse if they screw up this year.

This is where I am re: last offseason portal moves. 

Plus I'd imagine walking in, calling everyone fucking crap and using the portal to recruit over them would have led to a lot of discontent/unhappiness and a pretty pissed off locker room from the program guys in year 1.  

Sometimes you roll with the first year punches (Aranda's 2-7 season and Mel Tucker's 2-5 season) before you go out and overhaul the roster with a bunch of transfers. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They took upper class-men who couldn't get playing time at their previous school.  That is not going to work out well most of the time outside of qb.  If they do it again, they haven't learned anything.  The Ben Davis take is the most egregious because Sark saw him every day in practice.

Edited by kevwun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Sure seems like we've been a step behind in the portal other than Ewers/Watts. Even for offers like Neyor and the Albany guy, we've been late. Wish we had gone after that Jennings LB that KSU just got. 

Like others, I'm hopeful there's a plan for guys who aren't in the portal yet, which is certainly possible, but the lack of activity has been surprising. Given our staff ties, wouldn't be too surprised to see more from Bama once they finish up.

I know others will disagree but I personally will give the staff somewhat of a pass for last year's portal. They came in late, didn't fully know what was on the roster, and obviously had a ton on their plate as they built the staff and got ramped up. Obviously not a valid excuse if they screw up this year.

You do you, but just to keep facts straight - the staff got to see the entire roster in action in the spring and they had 6 months to work within the confines of the transfer portal to target who they liked. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They took upper class-men who couldn't get playing time at their previous school.  That is not going to work out well most of the time outside of qb.  If they do it again, they haven't learned anything.  The Ben Davis take is the most egregious because Sark saw him every day in practice.

As horrifying as it is to realize that Ben Davis was legitimately better than what we had on the roster at the time, as an upperclassman, even if he didn't work out you have no real long term loss of scholarship numbers on a guy that wasn't very good. The take made sense to me because as bad as Davis and Thornton both sucked, they still saw the field plenty last year. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You do you, but just to keep facts straight - the staff got to see the entire roster in action in the spring and they had 6 months to work within the confines of the transfer portal to target who they liked. 

 

Well are we opposed to tampering? Because if we are opposed to tampering, we are doing this with an arm tied behind our back. Stud portals know where they are going upon entering. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Well are we opposed to tampering? Because if we are opposed to tampering, we are doing this with an arm tied behind our back. Stud portals know where they are going upon entering. 

From reading between the lines on some of the high profile guys like Ewers or even some TBD names, I don't think we are opposed. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Serious question for you and anyone else with this line of thinking - what have you seen so far that merits giving Sarkisian and staff the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this? 

Texas may get some transfers right in this cycle, I hope so. At the same time, the staff didn't cover itself in glory in the first go-round at the portal. 

Ewers and Watts has given them a bit more leeway in my eyes. The offense has something to sell as well, so I am hopeful on the offensive side of the ball. My stance on the defense and DC in particular has been well documented so I wont start that up again but at least they have the ability to sell playing time. Say what we will about the staffs ability to succeed here but there are good recruiters on the staff

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

what the fuck even is tampering? lol

A pro sports term of talking to potential free agents while they are still under contract with other teams. It isn't quite the same here because there are no contracts, but the NCAA doesn't really have any way to monitor these back channel conversations or have any punitive rules in place for enticing guys into the portal. It is pretty much the wild west.  

Edited by Vertigo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Well are we opposed to tampering? Because if we are opposed to tampering, we are doing this with an arm tied behind our back. Stud portals know where they are going upon entering. 

I don't think we're opposed which is partially why I think if the coaches don't know what they need until after spring ball, it's probably too late to make a big impact through the portal.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

A pro sports term of talking to potential free agents while they are still under contract with other teams. It isn't quite the same here because there are no contracts, but the NCAA doesn't really have any way to monitor these back channel conversations or have any punitive rules in place for enticing guys into the portal. It is pretty much the wild west.  

my post was extreme sarcasm as in the staff doesn't believe in tampering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

A pro sports term of talking to potential free agents while they are still under contract with other teams. It isn't quite the same here because there are no contracts, but the NCAA doesn't really have any way to monitor these back channel conversations or have any punitive rules in place for enticing guys into the portal. It is pretty much the wild west.  

So, in theory, the “haves” essentially are given a farm system, correct? Assuming the NIL goes the way we want it to, and we become the gold standard, you let others take the recruiting risk and then snag them once they are developed. You essentially take who you absolutely want while recruiting, but no longer take any as a flyer. Use those extra roster spots to snag developed talent to fill any holes/weaknesses, and the NIL already in place is the magnet used for them to choose us. Staff analysts whose sole job it is to identify current talent on other rosters and then backchannel them here. Sounds good

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Well I for one shudder to think what our defensive might have been had we not gone out and got Ray Thornton and Ben Davis. 

The real sad part is that Thornton was actually a mainstay of the defense because we had nothing better..yikes

If I were the staff I'd be bringing in 2 edge transfers as the #1 top priority (now that Ewers is in)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:
 

 

Maybe this kid isn't the one, but Texas still needs LBs in the worst way.

 

Frustrating that we seemingly didn't go after that Jennings guy KSU just got. Young guy who was an elite recruit and a midseason Freshman All-American this year before injury. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Frustrating that we seemingly didn't go after that Jennings guy KSU just got. Young guy who was an elite recruit and a midseason Freshman All-American this year before injury. 

There's probably a reason he ended up at Kansas State.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Frustrating that we seemingly didn't go after that Jennings guy KSU just got. Young guy who was an elite recruit and a midseason Freshman All-American this year before injury. 

Maybe, but the fact he had to go all the way down to KSU means the injury is likely either really bad or he has some other red flag. The more concerning part is how many seemingly quality LBs have hit the portal and committed without UT really getting involved. I'd like to have @RGBIII's optimism that it means we have better guys lined up, but I'll have to see it to believe it with this staff. One good HS recruiting class with a shitload of tailwinds doesn't overcome the litany of mistakes Sark and Co. have already made in one year.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The more concerning part is how many seemingly quality LBs have hit the portal and committed without UT really getting involved.

Because any LB worth a damn isn't going in undecided. You don't hit the portal as a LB or OL without your next destination already picked out. Maybe there's 1 or 2 exceptions, but OL and LB are the two premium positions in the portal.

If we want a high quality LB, we will have to recruit one in the portal ourselves. Those guys don't fall in teams laps. 

Edited by Hookem2147
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

You don't hit the portal as a LB or OL without your next destination already picked out. Maybe there's 1 or 2 exceptions, but OL and LB are the two premium positions in the portal.

If we want a high quality LB, we will have to recruit one in the portal ourselves. Those guys don't fall in teams laps. 

I mean we already saw the UNLV LB who didn't have a school picked out and there have been plenty of others. The stud Center Baylor got from Buffalo last year is another example. Picking out a school before hitting the portal is not position-specific, but yes I agree our best bet for any of these guys is having them already coming here before they hit the portal. Hopefully were working on that at positions of need and do a better job of it than last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...