2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

blOU went into last season with the consensus Heisman favorite and #1 QB in the 2021 class (not counting Ewers) backing him up. Next season they'll probably be starting Dillon Gabriel   Casey Thompson. 

You hate to see it. 

FIFY

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think Williams is thrilled with the way RIley left - and Ole Miss hasn't proven it can do anything and just lost their OC.  Kid can transfer onto a team that's in the title game with a guy named Stetson Bennett at QB - I bet CW thinks he can accomplish that and more if he were to go there.  With Kirby Smart and that defense - its going to make any QB's job easy as hell.

Come on. Kiffin is the architect of the Ole Miss offense. Losing the OC isnt a big deal.  Georgia is talented. They will always be a run first team under Kirby. I wasnt talking about winning, I was talking about highlighting his talent. Completely different arguments. 

Edited by Codaxx

So the real question is does Caleb to UGA help us with Arch? Probably not much but can't hurt. At least levels the field with us getting Ewers.

Not too relevant for us but also wonder what Brock Vandagriff does at that point.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think it's a definite need. Only returning guys we have our Jerrin Thompson and Coffey. If they keep Cook at Nickel it definitely makes sense to find another safety. I think someone like BJ Allen could be ready to play early but you don't want to have to put your eggs in the basket of a true freshman. 

Agree. That room might even have less depth than LB. Edge still the worst though imo.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree. That room might even have less depth than LB. Edge still the worst though imo.

At least they addressed edge in HS recruiting and have a few guys returning. LB is easily the position with the least amount of depth right now with WR and safety in a tie for second, imo.

Regarding the Safety Devonni Reed - this is from a Q&A he did earlier this year:

What kind of role do you see yourself in on the team? What scheme and/or position suits your skill set?
I’ve been a team leader that my coaches and teammates can depend on. I’ve been a 4 year starter and a 3 year team captain.

We run a base 4-3 scheme, and I’ve played both free and strong safety. I’ve been in the middle of the field and rolling down in the box. I’m comfortable with both field and boundary sides although typically I stay in one spot on game day.

I’ve also been a consistent special teams contributor. I’ve played safety and gunner on kickoffs, and I’ve been on the front line on returns my whole career. I had a forced fumble covering a kick against Akron in 2019, and I was also able to interrupt a kicker in 2020 which made him miss a field goal.

Regarding his speed:

If you didn’t play football, what other sport would you play?
Track. I participated in track & field all throughout high school. I was the anchor on our 4x400m relay team making it to the conference finals. My personal best in the 400m was 51 seconds.

40 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The coaches that recruited him left. They hired a defensive coordinator. Half the team transferred. Their recruiting class is tanking. He can go pretty much anywhere and start immediately. What's not to get? 

Well there's also the fact that Williams struggled against Baylor this year and then he just watched OU's new offensive coordinator get completely mindfucked by Baylor in the bowl game. Sure Corral went down but Ole Miss was getting absolutely stuffed all game. Altmyer didn't even look that bad, he was just running for his life all game.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

At least they addressed edge in HS recruiting and have a few guys returning. LB is easily the position with the least amount of depth right now with WR and safety in a tie for second, imo.

I would agree LB was the worst performing position but do think has more depth - Dmo, Ford, Gbenda, Richardson, Brock all performed pretty similarly and all got material playing time. And at least there's some hope here that Ford steps up and Dmo/Gbenda finally learn how to use their athleticism. Then some sleepers like Blackwell (who IT thinks starts), Tillman, etc. 

Edge was my #2 worst group last year and only Ovie and Collins are returning with meaningful playing time. I guess Jett Bush too. Collins probably shouldn't even be an edge though. Good incoming class but that probably won't help much this year. So that depth chart is Ovie, maybe Collins, Bush, Barryn Sorrel, and a bunch of True Freshmen. 

Safety has Jerrin T, Coffey (who basically hasn't played), and incoming Freshmen. That's really fuckin shallow and our safeties were also bad last year.

So I think edge is the biggest need because it has both no strong starter candidates AND very little depth. LB at least has a chance of serviceable starters in Ford, DMo, even Gbenda, with some experienced/athletic bodies behind them who could be good if the light clicks. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It isnt the same fit though. I think the kid is talented, but I dont think he thrives in a drop back passer system. If he went to USC or Ole Miss type of offense, I would get it. 

Yeah -- thought Ole Miss was a good candidate for Caleb as long as their OL was decent...   

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I would agree LB was the worst performing position but do think has more depth - Dmo, Ford, Gbenda, Richardson, Brock all performed pretty similarly and all got material playing time. And at least there's some hope here that Ford steps up and Dmo/Gbenda finally learn how to use their athleticism. Then some sleepers like Blackwell (who IT thinks starts), Tillman, etc. 

Edge was my #2 worst group last year and only Ovie and Collins are returning with meaningful playing time. I guess Jett Bush too. Collins probably shouldn't even be an edge though. Good incoming class but that probably won't help much this year. So that depth chart is Ovie, maybe Collins, Bush, Barryn Sorrel, and a bunch of True Freshmen. 

Safety has Jerrin T, Coffey (who basically hasn't played), and incoming Freshmen. That's really fuckin shallow and our safeties were also bad last year.

So I think edge is the biggest need because it has both no strong starter candidates AND very little depth. LB at least has a chance of serviceable starters in Ford, DMo, even Gbenda, with some experienced/athletic bodies behind them who could be good if the light clicks. 

but Safety can theoretically be fixed by the current roster.  Watts, Cook, J Thompson, Coffey, Crawford, and Allen. You can move people around and find a solution. You dont have that luxury at LB and Edge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It isnt the same fit though. I think the kid is talented, but I dont think he thrives in a drop back passer system. If he went to USC or Ole Miss type of offense, I would get it. 

I wonder if OU has anyone familiar with the Ole Miss system?

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

They took upper class-men who couldn't get playing time at their previous school.  That is not going to work out well most of the time outside of qb.  If they do it again, they haven't learned anything.  The Ben Davis take is the most egregious because Sark saw him every day in practice.

Ben Davis earned his scholarship for fighting Derek Kerstetter the 1st day he was on campus for slacking off during off season workouts.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

If we get rolled by a CT led okie team, I will drink myself to death and then key every car in the Kroger parking lot.

Well, Lebby just got his likely 1st day NFL QB draft pick hurt in his last game running the ball. You think Thompson is going to make it to game 5?

2 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I recognize that we need help at certain positions, but creaming your shorts every time some 2 bit player hits the portal isn't the way.

The overvaluing and overeactions of this place to portal entries are something else.

While discounting that players can get better, and Texas has a few guys that could conceivably be better next year with a better understanding of their responsibilities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Someone said this earlier in this thread but looks like he got processed lol

41 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That is not a good hire. Saban is ruthless and I bet he's about to process some more coaches. 

40 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

The comments under the tweet are hilarious 

What's wrong with Jay Valai?

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT also mentioned that Margin Hooks in a big fan of Marion. Should help in the recruitment of Neyor and Cook, who both train with Hooks.

Hooks responded to someone on Twitter that Marion was who he recommended to Sark.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

The coaches that recruited him left. They hired a defensive coordinator. Half the team transferred. Their recruiting class is tanking. He can go pretty much anywhere and start immediately. What's not to get? 

Yeah but have you seen the price of decent real estate in Oxford lately?

40 minutes ago, quigley said:

I think Thompson to OU is likely if/when Williams leaves. Gabriel's hopefully got a month-to-month lease in Westwood too.

Hasn't Gabriel already signed with UCLA??  

Unless Chip leaves, would the NCAA even allow Gabriel to switch from Bruins to blOU and play immediately ??

(Gabriel is a red-shirt sophomore according to below article.) 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/will-georgias-might-or-alabamas-decade-long-dominance-prevail-in-the-national-championship-game/

Drumm's drivel:

- CW likely to enter portal

- If CW does, Dillon Gabriel is the one to watch

- If CW enters the portal, Mario Williams may, as well (update - supposedly told the baseball program (he's interested in both sports) that he'll be back on campus Jan 14th ... 

- Mims is staying

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

but Safety can theoretically be fixed by the current roster.  Watts, Cook, J Thompson, Coffey, Crawford, and Allen. You can move people around and find a solution. You dont have that luxury at LB and Edge. 

Finkley is a day one contributor/starter at edge.

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Drumm's drivel:

- If CW enters the portal, Mario Williams may, as well (update - supposedly told the baseball program (he's interested in both sports) that he'll be back on campus Jan 14th ... 

- Mims is staying

Other than Quinn Mims was my white whale this off-season.  

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

Finkley is a day one contributor/starter at edge.

We dont know that. Can a freshman come in and upgrade the pass rush? Certainly. Can he hold up vs a 21 year old 315 pound OT in the run? Well that is a much tougher to give a positive answer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hasn't Gabriel already signed with UCLA??  

Unless Chip leaves, would the NCAA even allow Gabriel to switch from Bruins to blOU and play immediately ??

(Gabriel is a red-shirt sophomore according to below article.)

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Drumm's drivel:

- Mims is staying

1. Makes sense for Williams to at least enter the portal to see what the market is. If there were an obvious landing spot, I'd guarantee he'd be gone. Having lived in both central Oklahoma and the DMV, there are very few similarities, and Williams will be paid wherever he goes.

2. Who knows what Gabriel's true status with UCLA is? Committed verbally, signed, signed plus enrolled. I'm sure it all matters, but there are levels to this, man.

3. If Williams leaves and OU keeps one of Mims or Mario Williams, I'd consider that a win. I think Mims can be a #1 WR for Lebby. Caleb was the reason Mario came to OU and the reason Jalil Farooq, another WR came to OU. They may both leave if Williams bolts.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)