The 2021 Gold Cup

Knoxtnhorn

Just now, Zepol87 said:

That was weak ass bullshit. What a fuck job for Canada. Talk shit get hit bitches, I hope the C team for us is ready to do some shit

Nothing would please me more than seeing our C team curb stomp El Tri amid a maelstrom of launched plastic cups and such.   

the venues started pouring all beers, waters, and everything else into plastic cups without lids because of the shitfuck El Tri fans.   So proud of themselves 

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um. Lletget held the ball up well but did dick to create chances and had way too many deer in the headlights moments for me. I'd rather a guy lose possession a few times trying to create a chance than just backpass and hold the ball until the defense catches up.

That’s where I’m normally at.  But when he plays well I’m gonna say it, and he did.  I don’t want him starting but he was solid tonight. Completely different than the last couple games.  

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um. Lletget held the ball up well but did dick to create chances and had way too many deer in the headlights moments for me. I'd rather a guy lose possession a few times trying to create a chance than just backpass and hold the ball until the defense catches up.

That’s where I’m normally at.  But when he plays well I’m gonna say it, and he did.  I don’t want him starting but he was solid tonight. Completely different than the last couple games.  

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Maybe my main criticism then is that he isn't a good CM. So when he "plays well" he still leaves shit on the field. 

• Like 1

I already told you fucks on the USMNT thread although it was mainly drunken rambling. We are the soccer power in CONCACAF and this tourney is only proving it. El Tri can suck my fucking cock because we are going to shithouse another 1-0 win in the final and take a trophy that we didn't even try to win. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

We're learning!

Acosta just assured his inclusion in most qualifiers going forward and likely the World Cup final 23, if we make it..

I was 8 rows up behind that goal and watched it all. Glorious delay tactics. Keeper was fucking with the guy quite a bit too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Ha ha- we’re not even playing in the olympics and if we were we’d be playing our U23 team.

I meant everyone, not just the US. Forgot the Euro season was going on. I’m an El Tri fan, I always root for them even though I don’t follow the sport much. Sucks chicharito isn’t playing. Gotta think the US is the big favorite Sunday, they just beat Mexico in that nations thing last month.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I meant everyone, not just the US. Forgot the Euro season was going on. I’m an El Tri fan, I always root for them even though I don’t follow the sport much. Sucks chicharito isn’t playing. Gotta think the US is the big favorite Sunday, they just beat Mexico in that nations thing last month.

They are different teams. Mexico sent a very similar team, basically their A squad. The US sent their B/C squad to rest them up for qualification. 

In the game this weekend, Mexico is the favorite.

So in terms of the world – this summer featured a few things:

* Europe, South America and North America had their continental tournaments. EURO was the big one of all of those, followed by South America and then the Gold Cup (N. America).

* The Olympics

* Some other WC qualifiers (namely Asia)

* CONCACAF also wrapped up the Nations League.

Now, the biggest players played in their Continental tournament, save for the US as mentioned before. Mexico, Canada, etc all played their A/A- teams, absolutely true for Europe and South American teams.

The Olympics is a U-23 tournament. They let teams bring players older than 23, but very few. That tournament, because of this year, features few top players.

The biggest thing is that the European seasons are about to start soon. The EPL kicks off in 2 weeks from today. So because of it, those players are now in training warming up for the season.

Does that clear it all up?

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So you root for the Yankees and you root for the Mexican Soccer team. And for the latter you're definitely a casual. Mexico is actually favored because the USMNT is fielding a B/C team.

Shaking Head Disapproving GIF by Firebox - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

So you root for the Yankees and you root for the Mexican Soccer team. And for the latter you're definitely a casual. Mexico is actually favored because the USMNT is fielding a B/C team.

Shaking Head Disapproving GIF by Firebox - Find & Share on GIPHY

My whole family is from Mexico, grew up watching them, not the US team. If it was an actual war I’d cheer for the US if that helps. I’m not much of a soccer fan anyway like I said.  

15 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

They are different teams. Mexico sent a very similar team, basically their A squad. The US sent their B/C squad to rest them up for qualification. 

In the game this weekend, Mexico is the favorite.

So in terms of the world – this summer featured a few things:

* Europe, South America and North America had their continental tournaments. EURO was the big one of all of those, followed by South America and then the Gold Cup (N. America).

* The Olympics

* Some other WC qualifiers (namely Asia)

* CONCACAF also wrapped up the Nations League.

Now, the biggest players played in their Continental tournament, save for the US as mentioned before. Mexico, Canada, etc all played their A/A- teams, absolutely true for Europe and South American teams.

The Olympics is a U-23 tournament. They let teams bring players older than 23, but very few. That tournament, because of this year, features few top players.

The biggest thing is that the European seasons are about to start soon. The EPL kicks off in 2 weeks from today. So because of it, those players are now in training warming up for the season.

Does that clear it all up?

Thank you. It’s crazy how much depth there is to the pro soccer world.

Did they get $20 plus tickets and attire/schwag?  I think it's cool.  If I was that age and somebody covered by Gold Cup tab for the night, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Fun night, cash in pocket, and a great story to tell years later, "Never have I ever posed as a Qatari national at an international football match and bought a gram afterwards to celebrate with the earnings."  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Did they get $20 plus tickets and attire/schwag?  I think it's cool.  If I was that age and somebody covered by Gold Cup tab for the night, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Fun night, cash in pocket, and a great story to tell years later, "Never have I ever posed as a Qatari national at an international football match and bought a gram afterwards to celebrate with the earnings."  

Nope.  F that.  I'm not rooting against my country for $20.  I'd do it in a random Qatar v El Salvador match, but not against the US.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

I could use an explanation on why CONCACAF hosts the Nations League and Gold Cup only a couple months apart. Seems like the same teams play in both.

COVID. It wiped out the 2020 schedule. 

The Gold Cup is always in odd years.

The original Nations League was supposed to be played with a schedule of:

Qualifications: September 2018 – March 2019
League play: September – November 2019 (6 games each)
Knockout tournament: March 2020

But CONCACAF moved the KO phase to June 2020 before COVID shifted the schedule even more. It was moved to March 2021 but moved again to June 2021 when that window was needed for WC qualification.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 7:35 AM, Captain Ron said:

COVID. It wiped out the 2020 schedule. 

The Gold Cup is always in odd years.

The original Nations League was supposed to be played with a schedule of:

Qualifications: September 2018 – March 2019
League play: September – November 2019 (6 games each)
Knockout tournament: March 2020

But CONCACAF moved the KO phase to June 2020 before COVID shifted the schedule even more. It was moved to March 2021 but moved again to June 2021 when that window was needed for WC qualification.

posrep for this, because i was also wondering wtf was going on

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Fun fact---both the nation of Qatar and Texas A&M-College Station allowed women and minorities on their premises on the same day in 1963.  

And since that day, Qatar is actually quite competitive with their biggest rival, UAE?  Before that they were a small all-male camel herding country.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/30/2021 at 12:34 AM, UDontKnow said:

Breakdown of this crucial play.

that is special-1 level fantastic

in this league you have to get down in the shit with the pigs

i am now an acosta fan and never rated him before

in fact, if beerholder can somehow win this game tonight, i will forget all about saprissa and simply call him G3

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

how did the qataris procreate prior to 1963?

same way they built a dozen soccer stadiums for the World Cup 2022 with a domestic workforce incapable of making so much as a sand castle. 

Illegal Immigrant Labor.  

Edited by Lobo

going back to review the key sequence in the qatar game

the arriola takedown is at 53:07

(did you know: arriola's wiki says he is 5'6" and 146#)

afif is still taking treatment at 55:37 when the referee gives the var square signal

the pk decision is given at 57:29

yellows are given on the hour

pk is missed at 60:07

total time elapsed: 7 minutes exactly

this is where the 9 minutes of ET came from

• Hook 'Em 1