What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is that the land adjacent to Senna  Hills, across Lake Austin from Steiner Ranch?

Yes, about 1,000 acres.  Main entrance is past Senna Hills.  It has a good bit of frontage on Lake Austin and borders Commons Ford Road and Park on the east side, Lake Austin on the north, Bee Caves Road on the south and Lake Pointe on the western  boundary.

55 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Art is gonna be the next police chief. Book it.

Nah, I think he is here to go into politics. Federal level. Representative. He will have backing from both Houston and Austin elements, knows the players, and can play the "hard on crime, soft on society" model he tends to push.

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

DFW says hold my beer.  635 has been under construction since the time of the dinosaurs.

I lived there for two years when they were putting in the toll lanes on 635.  Yeah, that wasn't fun either.  The difference for me is in Dallas, you're generally going 10-20 miles at least to go anywhere outside your immediate neighborhood so it takes a while anyway.  In Austin, you need to go 2-3 miles?  It will take you as long as going 20 in Dallas.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The wonderful exit from MoPac at The Domain says hello. Holy shit what a cluster. People exit and then slow down immediately -- often to a near stop -- to veer across three lanes to pull into Whole Foods.

Once that's over, you have to deal with people leaving the Whole Foods exit and cutting across three lanes to make the MoPac ramp. Who gives a damn if there are cars coming?

It is infuriating.

That whole interchange sucks balls.

6 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I remember Franklin Savings had foreclosed on 807 Congress Avenue around 1986.  They offered it to me for $100,000.  That was a lot of money in those days and it did not have any dedicated parking.  So, I passed.   Eddie Safady bought it and renovated the place.  I also looked at the ranch Michael Dell ended up with.  When I looked at it, it was less than $10,000 acre.  Way out in the middle of nowhere and no utilities.  The Rob Roys were in various stages of foreclosure, Circle C was imploding on itself and Willie lost Briarcliff.   It was a tough time from about 1984 to mid 1990s.  

My Dad passed on buying a 400 acre ranch on the north shore of Lake Travis for $100/acre in 1958. 
It had almost a half mile of waterfront. 
Oh well.

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

Garza hand-picked Acevedo with no community input or public process, which he said is consistent with how he has built his executive team. The position requires no approval by the City Council, which was informed of his hiring Friday afternoon

Jfc

You Austin voters should just lay back and enjoy it.

5 hours ago, Deej said:

Jeff Ward can drink and drive again. 

How in the fuck is this cretin (the cretin being Acevedo in my rant) still employable, much less in a place he has name recognition?  FFS.  

Edited by boilerhorn

Why in this day of email, texts, and phones do we need anybody to be a "liason" for anybody else?  Whenever I see the word "liason" I imagine the person being described as having a big, fat "I'm being paid a ton of money for doing nothing"  smile on their face.
I talk to the police so the DA doesn't have to.

office-space-i-have-people-skills.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My Dad passed on buying a 400 acre ranch on the north shore of Lake Travis for $100/acre in 1958. 
Oh well.

We could have had some nice Surly parties at your house.

22 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Austin, where 80 on mopac isn't good enough for the Tesla that will inevitably tailgate you

Which lane are you in? If it's the left and you can't get over but are passing the middle lane, that's one thing. 

By the way, I'm talking South MoPac, where it is 65, not North mopac near Dallas where it is 75.  

Went to a Longhorn basketball game this past week and I swear a Rivian came up to me at about 90 but then it looked like he and another car were road raging.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I was in a hurry!

I'm judging you as a Tesla driver. Or wasn't your mom driving?

On 1/19/2024 at 5:52 PM, ztejas said:

Depends what skill you're training. 

9qfig.gif.f8fc07bd27c3082f3f6246cb220db9dd.gif

On 1/19/2024 at 8:06 PM, Armybrat said:

Oh well.

Now it's a 700 acre ranch that borders a creek.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/19/2024 at 9:43 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I guess Kelly and conservatives have just forgotten Art’s well documented history of ignorantly running his mouth about gun control in the wake of tragedies? Time to buy another thin blue line car decal and clean their tongues to lick the boot, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, B00M said:

I guess Kelly and conservatives have just forgotten Art’s well documented history of ignorantly running his mouth about gun control in the wake of tragedies? Time to buy another thin blue line car decal and clean their tongues to lick the boot, I guess. 

Yep.

1 minute ago, B00M said:

I don't think CamGirlFaith had even come of age when Acevedo was around.  And I'd bet my last dollar she wasn't paying attention to politics when she was busy getting bolt-ons.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Art at least you didn't get raped Acevedo, Don't charge anyone DA Jose Garza, dipshit homeless have more rights than citizens Gerg Casar, and Fitlump...

WTF is wrong with the "leadership" in this city?

Well, when you put it that way.

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Art at least you didn't get raped Acevedo, Don't charge anyone DA Jose Garza, dipshit homeless have more rights than citizens Gerg Casar, and Fitlump...

Most of the leadership is elected by the citizens of Austin, so the question is really, what is wrong with the dipshits within the city limits who elect Casar, Jose, Adler, Fitlump*, etc.

*As much as it pains me to say, FitLump might be the best candidate on that dais.

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

interestingly enough, DA Jose Garza has been outspoken AGAINST AA's hiring.  From Friday...

"His return is a step backwards for survivors of sexual assault. His appointment represents a stunning disregard for their pain and for the values of this community," said Travis County District Attorney Jose Garza.

It's confusing because 1.) the guy who hired AA, Interim City Manager Jesus Garza, shares the same last name and 2.) we've been conditioned to spit on DA Jose Garza's name.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Remember, at the end of the day, that Kelly is a thin-blue-line bootlicker. As for Art, he's all over the place ideologically but is, at heart, an authoritarian who doesn't hold the public in high regard.

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

I don't think CamGirlFaith had even come of age when Acevedo was around.  And I'd bet my last dollar she wasn't paying attention to politics when she was busy getting bolt-ons.

Art was chief of police from 2007 to 2016. Yes, she was coming of age during that time frame. Don't you recall the political talk radio show she had for a hot minute in the 2014-2015 timeframe?

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

22 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Most of the leadership is elected by the citizens of Austin, so the question is really, what is wrong with the dipshits within the city limits who elect Casar, Jose, Adler, Fitlump*, etc.

*As much as it pains me to say, FitLump might be the best candidate on that dais.

Art's hiring is all on Watson/Garza, not the City Council (this time). Go look into the Art thread where it's spelled out that not only did the Council not have input, but they weren't even informed until just before it was announced. All of them, except for Kelly, are rightfully pissed.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Jose displays a stunning disregard for the pain of victims of Travis county, and for the values of basic humanity.

You have every right to that opinion, but like @gsoda3 said, this was Interim City Manager Jesus Garza's decision, not District Attorney Jose Garza's.

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

1. Art was chief of police from 2007 to 2016. Yes, she was coming of age during that time frame. Don't you recall the political talk radio show she had for a hot minute in the 2014-2015 timeframe?

2. Art's hiring is all on Watson/Garza, not the City Council (this time). Go look into the Art thread where it's spelled out that not only did the Council not have input, but they weren't even informed until just before it was announced. All of them, except for Kelly, are rightfully pissed.

1. CGF came about DURING his tenure, but I highly doubt she gave a single f about anything political at the time.  She was an aspiring firefighter and sharpie hider.  And I never gave a single listen to her talk show, just figured it was a way for her to try and entrap some politicians into a live cam show.

2. We elect the 10+1, they vet / appoint the City Manager, who then goes and hires Art.  Frankly, the fact most of the council is up in arms about it makes me think it might be a good hire.  But then I remember it's Art.  So not sure which side to take.

TBH, of all the cities in Texas, I'd rather live in Austin... and not many places out in the country where I'd want to live because... well... yeah so anyway.  Slowly working on getting the family to think about going beyond the Texas borders.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

1. CGF came about DURING his tenure, but I highly doubt she gave a single f about anything political at the time.  She was an aspiring firefighter and sharpie hider.  And I never gave a single listen to her talk show, just figured it was a way for her to try and entrap some politicians into a live cam show.

I actually did listen to her talk show a couple of times to hear what that dingbat had to say, and she was definitely showing her stripes but won't go further because that's a CR topic.

2. We elect the 10+1, they vet / appoint the City Manager, who then goes and hires Art.  Frankly, the fact most of the council is up in arms about it makes me think it might be a good hire.  But then I remember it's Art.  So not sure which side to take.

Look, I was a Watson supporter, but the fact that Jesus Garza was the treasurer of a PAC that donated $720,000 to Watson's campaign up until ONE DAY before he was appointed is fucked up. Watson led that decision, and the Council simply followed his lead.

AUSTIN, Texas — On Wednesday, the Austin City Council fired City Manager Spencer Cronk and introduced former city manager Jesús Garza as the interim city manger.

Garza and Austin Mayor Kirk Watson have a long-standing relationship. Garza was the city manager from 1994 until 2002 while Watson was the mayor from 1997 to 2001.

Garza was the treasurer of a political committee that donated to Watson's recent mayoral campaign. Stand Together Austin made at least four donations, totaling over $720,000. According to campaign finance documents, just Tuesday, Garza stepped down from his role in that PAC.

KVUE asked Watson why he chose Garza over the current assistant city managers.

In a statement he wrote: "There aren't a lot of people with the experience and ability to run such a big and complicated operation as the City of Austin. There are even fewer people who are available on a week's notice and willing to take on such a daunting task."