Rockets vs Warriors

UDontKnow

6 hours ago, Burt said:

I realize I'm posting this in a Rocket friendly thread and will likely get flamed for it, but the Rockets dont set picks. A pick is when the picker is set and still.  And they aren't just setting moving picks either.  They are sticking their shoulders in and DRIVING the Warriors off the ball. If I'm an NFL owner, I'm bringing every fucking one of the Rockets into training camp and having them work with my offensive line.  

To be fair, the Warriors are hugging the screener every time, especially Curry.

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also, does Curry not have it in him to take the big shots? 2nd game in a row he gave the ball up to a lesser player. Thompson was injured and was hounded big time. And tonight he passed to Green? Lmao. The fuck? Take the fucking shot or find someone other than Green. It reminded me of Lebron not wanting any part of big shots in the 2011 Finals.

Lebron was passive all those games, not just in the end. Pretty sure he was trying to figure out where he fit in.

The problem with the warriors is they are jump shooters and jump shooters get tired. They also face a lot tougher defense in the playoffs than the regular season. None of what we are seeing is exclusive to anyone on that squad. Steph, Klay, and KD have all struggled in the playoffs in the past when being defended like they are not. What I am surprised about is Kerr's cocky "we are gonna play the way we play" and "I feel good about what I am seeing" attitude.

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lebron was passive all those games, not just in the end. Pretty sure he was trying to figure out where he fit in.

The problem with the warriors is they are jump shooters and jump shooters get tired. They also face a lot tougher defense in the playoffs than the regular season. None of what we are seeing is exclusive to anyone on that squad. Steph, Klay, and KD have all struggled in the playoffs in the past when being defended like they are not. What I am surprised about is Kerr's cocky "we are gonna play the way we play" and "I feel good about what I am seeing" attitude.

That's the problem though.   They haven't "played the way they play".    They've gone to iso-heavy sets, little to no ball movement ending up with rushed/bad shots with a few secs on the shot clock.   HOU has completely taken them out of what has made them successful.

21 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lebron was passive all those games, not just in the end. Pretty sure  he was trying to figure out where he fit in.

D'Antoni said the same thing after our game 1 loss

The Warriors--and the media a whole--sure are making it seem like a Game 7 is inevitable. They're just magically going to score 100+ points now that they're home? The last two times they've been in Oracle with their backs against the wall, they scored 96 in Game 7 of the 2016 WCF (everyone but Steph sucked) and 89 in Game 7 of the Finals (everyone sucked).

They're going to have to find a way to get their offense moving because I wouldn't count on Houston missing shots forever.

32 minutes ago, d2o said:

That's the problem though.   They haven't "played the way they play".    They've gone to iso-heavy sets, little to no ball movement ending up with rushed/bad shots with a few secs on the shot clock.   HOU has completely taken them out of what has made them successful.

It's mostly rushed shots and misses more than actual real life iso. Take a look at after the 8 minute mark heading down the stretch. Curry comes down and jacks up the first thing he sees with 14 seconds left on the shot clock. Durant comes down and does the same, also 14 seconds left. Durant gets fouled next time down, then he misses a real life iso play the next trip. Draymond throws the ball in the backcourt to Harden for a turnover. Then we see them get something that finishes with Draymond to Looney for a dunk. Then Curry comes flying down and takes a floater and misses with 14 seconds on the shot clock. Durant goes iso and gets blocked on a turnaround(rare). Thompson gets fouled on a 3. They come down and move the ball but get a shot clock violation. Next time down ball movement and Draymond gets a layup. Next time down ball movement gets Draymond a 3. Next time down ball movement but Cook misses. Then curry gets the ball with 22 seconds left and shoots a floater by the 14 second mark.

Most of their problem is rushed, ill-advised shots, which has always gotten them in trouble even before KD ever got there. They barely ran actual iso plays.

Edited by Thatguy

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Warriors--and the media a whole--sure are making it seem like a Game 7 is inevitable. They're just magically going to score 100+ points now that they're home? The last two times they've been in Oracle with their backs against the wall, they scored 96 in Game 7 of the 2016 WCF (everyone but Steph sucked) and 89 in Game 7 of the Finals (everyone sucked).

They're going to have to find a way to get their offense moving because I wouldn't count on Houston missing shots forever.

The refs will help them get to game 7. I know, not popular, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of Houston fouls early thereby making them back off defensively and opening up GSW's offense.

It's time the "experts" admit the reason why the Warriors are struggling running their offense is the Houston defense is forcing them out of it. With the switching, in your face swager, and the bumps off the cuts, Houston has broken their will to run it. Klay, Curry, and Durant don't like getting hit and the Rockets are hitting them every time they move. They are getting beat up by Ariza, Tucker, Paul, even Harden and Gordon are letting the Warriors players know they are there coming off those screens and cuts.

It's also time to put to bed the myth that Golden State gave away games in this series by getting lazy because the competition in their eyes was lacking. If you are in the Western Conference finals, and you are being lazy, then you are a fucking mentally weak team.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If Iggy's back, I'd expect Houston to go back to the tactic of hunting down Steph every single time down.  They haven't done it nearly as often in the past 3 games because it hasn't been very effective, and they've had weaker weak links to target in Looney and Bell.  But I bet they go back to it in a big way, regardless of results.  At best, Harden gets going.  At worst, you're still making Steph work, and thus hindering the only chance Golden State has to reignite their motion offense.

Also fitting--and completely expected--that in the biggest moments of the most important game of the season when Golden State is desperate for another shooter, Quinn Cook is more trusted than Nick Young.  What a great use of that MLE money.

Just heard an interesting stat. For the 1st time in NBA history, a team that shot better from the field, bta, and the ft line has lost back to back games. So while the "experts" keep claiming the Warriors have given these games away, maybe they should start acknowledging that if the Rockets were making a solid percentage of their open looks from 3, these games would have been blow out wins for Houston.

Edited by HtownHorn

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's time the "experts" admit the reason why the Warriors are struggling running their offense is the Houston defense is forcing them out of it. With the switching, in your face swager, and the bumps off the cuts, Houston has broken their will to run it. Klay, Curry, and Durant don't like getting hit and the Rockets are hitting them every time they move. They are getting beat up by Ariza, Tucker, Paul, even Harden and Gordon are letting the Warriors players know they are there coming off those screens and cuts.

It's also time to put to bed the myth that Golden State gave away games in this series by getting lazy because the competition in their eyes was lacking. If you are in the Western Conference finals, and you are being lazy, then you are a fucking mentally weak team.

I agree with this.  I've never liked Houston and have hated CP3 and Harden their entire careers, but no doubt that Houston has flat out been tougher these last 2 games.  Neither team has particularly played well, but Houston definitely mentally tougher.   And I flat out love the way PJ Tucker is playing.  Dude is leaving it all out on the court and a huge factor these last 2 games.  One of my fav longhorns.    I hope CP is healthy so we can see what this GS team has with back against the wall.  It's amazing to me how much non-factors KD and SC have been down the stretch these  last 2 games. 

• Like 1

If CP3 is out for Game 6, then D'Antoni obviously has to find at least one other player he trusts to get real minutes.  Is it Luc, RA, Nene, Joe Johnson?

I hope we go out there and continue to launch a ton of 3s. We're due to get hot and we can play pretty loose offensively. 

If the game is close at halftime, Rockets need to go for the jugular. The pressure on GS will be immense and very possible to sneak out of Oracle with another win. 

If GS catches fire and is up 15-20 at halftime, I'd almost prefer for us to concede the game at that point. Get the bench players out there and rest up for Game 7. Clearly a blowout loss has no effect on this team's psyche. 

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Also fitting--and completely expected--that in the biggest moments of the most important game of the season when Golden State is desperate for another shooter, Quinn Cook is more trusted than Nick Young.  What a great use of that MLE money.

Really strange. Feels like Nick Young has consistently shot well vs. the Rockets team too. Kerr's rotations have always been puzzling. 

Rockets have outscored the Warriors by 11 with Paul on the bench and Harden leading the offense. The problem the Rockets have is when Harden has to rest, and the reason why we brought in Paul in the 1st place. The only way to mitigate Paul's absence is to finally go crazy from BTA. Like a 21+ out 45+ game, which the Rockets attained 21 times during the regular season.

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That lineup at the end of the game played exactly 0 regular season minutes together.

18 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Tim MacMahon just said that a Rockets' source told him that CP's hamstring is "not good" this morning.

Bummer.  Dude deserves to be out there.  Those threes last night were fucking ridiculous.

I mean, this had to be expected. Name the last time a guy injured a hamstring, forcing him out of a playoff game, only to return days later. It just doesn’t happen. 

Credit to the Rockets. They have gutted out these last two games and played defense like I've never seen a D'Antoni coached team play. I didn't think they had it in them, especially after they got decimated in game 3 and then came out flat to start game 4. Much respect. 

Also, Eric Gordon has been amazing -- I thought his aggression early in Game 4 changed the entire series and then he hits clutch shot after clutch shot after clutch shot. He's been huge in every one of the wins.

That said, not having Iguodala is killing the Warriors. Houston is just hunting down whatever big is playing in his place. He's also another guy who makes plays for his teammates on the offensive end, to a certain extent more so than even Durant or Thompson considering how few touches he gets. Their bench was short to begin with but without Iguodala they end up playing a d league scrub in crunch time of the WCF. Salary cap FTW. 

Even though I'm not a big fan of his, losing Chris Paul for the series would be a shame. That would be about 4 years in a row that an injury to a star player deprived us of seeing the best teams in basketball go at each other at full strength.

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Rocket's defense gets all the credit for taking the Warrior's out of their game. All those extra passes have just resulted in turnovers against the Rockets. It is really impressive. 

Golden State's turnover rate isn't particularly bad (Houston's is actually worse), but Houston is forcing those turnovers on significantly fewer passes than the Warriors are used to, making them play even tighter than they already are. That was fine--but still not ideal--when they were roasting Harden for the first 3 games, but Harden's been locked in for Games 4 and 5.  All the off the ball stuff is leading to nothing, and the passing lanes are congested.  Houston's communication and synchronization on switches has been close to flawless. 

From a GQ article about Draymond in Oct:

He wants to relay something that Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey had said in an interview, reacting to the Warriors' title. The team had texted it to each other: “They are not unbeatable. There have been bigger upsets in sports history. We are going to keep improving our roster. We are used to long odds. If Golden State makes the odds longer, we might up our risk profile and get even more aggressive. We have something up our sleeve.”

Then he pauses, scoffing at Morey’s comments.

“What the fuck are you talking about?” he says to me. “They are really trying to rethink their whole strategy”—here he bumps a table repeatedly with his hand for emphasis, getting excited—“because teams know they don’t have a fucking clue.”

Man, playoff basketball is crazy.  Two plays go differently in games 4 and 5, the series is over, and Harden would be getting CRUSHED for his FG% and shot selection.  Instead, he's being applauded (and rightfully so) for pushing through, and not letting misses affect his defensive effort.  The margins for success/failure are so ridiculously small this time of year.  Now, he gets two shots to completely rewrite the book on him, especially with CP out.

48 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Time for Harden to ball out.

or for him to simply put the air out of the ball for 15 seconds and flail for a three or layup. that 2nd half last night might have been the worst i have seen an MVP caliber player play, but again everyone was off and it was some kind of ugly game

better find some other kind of offense other than iso with harden or you will most likely loose. no CP3 is going to make it even more difficult. hard to imagine a rockets win in Oakland but stranger things have happened. hope CP3 can make it back for game 7

7 minutes ago, staboner said:

or for him to simply put the air out of the ball for 15 seconds and flail for a three or layup. that 2nd half last night might have been the worst i have seen an MVP caliber player play, but again everyone was off and it was some kind of ugly game

better find some other kind of offense other than iso with harden or you will most likely loose. no CP3 is going to make it even more difficult. hard to imagine a rockets win in Oakland but stranger things have happened. hope CP3 can make it back for game 7

I doubt we loose.

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Line jumped from -10 to -12 when the CP3 new broke this morning. And they already have a line for Game 7: Golden State -12.

Vegas giving Houston the Celtics v. Sixers treatment.

I'm going to assume you mean -2 for Game 7. 0 chance its -12. 

18 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

I'm going to assume you mean -2 for Game 7. 0 chance its -12. 

It's actually -12.5 now.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/las-vegas/ 

Nevermind. It's actually Houston -12.5. So I assume it's just an error and not actually posted yet.

But you can finally bet on Golden State to win the title at almost 1/1 odds (10/11) for the first time all year, so there is that.

Edited by aggie08
Reading is hard

Golden State has been down in a series three times in the Kerr era--2-1, 2-1, and 3-1--and never lost another game in any of those series.  They're pretty damn good with their backs against the wall.  That was before KD though, so we'll see.

Even without CP3, Houston is more than capable of delivering that knock out blow.  Harden may not be able to carry an entire series (few guys are--actually, only one guy), but they don't need him to.  They only need one MVP performance on both ends of the court, and they'll win this.

If there's a Game 7, he'll play.  They might pull the plug early, but they'll at least see if adrenaline can push him through it.  Unfortunately, hamstrings and quads are some of the only injuries that adrenaline does next to nothing for.

14 hours ago, Burt said:

I realize I'm posting this in a Rocket friendly thread and will likely get flamed for it, but the Rockets dont set picks. A pick is when the picker is set and still.  And they aren't just setting moving picks either.  They are sticking their shoulders in and DRIVING the Warriors off the ball. If I'm an NFL owner, I'm bringing every fucking one of the Rockets into training camp and having them work with my offensive line.  

Hilarious! Illegal screens have been the GSW gameplan forever bruh. Karma.

• Like 1