Rockets vs Warriors

UDontKnow

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lulz wut? 

KD negates Harden. And then what does Houston have left to try and outscore GSW?

I'm not quite ready to hand the Warriors the next 3 of 4 NBA Finals trophies, but it looks unfathomably possible... What is the missing piece that Houston needs over GSW..?

CP3 outplayed Curry, who wasn't very good tonight and they still got beat by double digits..... at home.  After getting out to an emotion and crowd fueled 9 point lead at 21-12 at about the 6.5 minute mark of the first quarter, they were outscored 107-85 the rest of the way.... Rockets are going to need a poor shooting game from GSW while getting a little more from their bench.  Klay was very good this game and KD was well..... KD.  He'll probably have a clunker somewhere in a 6-7 game series, but Curry and Draymond were 9-20 so what if they get hot?  Harden was great until some unforced turnovers down the stretch and Paul was pretty good as well, but the Rockets need everyone..... every game.  PJ and Luc were 0-9.  Those guys gotta show. 

Houston needs to force more turnovers (although strangely Curry is credited with only 1 turnover when he had at least 3).  They lost the turnover battle and if they lose this, they'll lose 90% of the time vs the Warriors.  Frankly, this effort was good enough to beat a Utah or a Philly, probably a Cleveland, but they weren't that close after the first 6 minutes..... They're going to have to try and get easier shots for their supporting cast.  Wednesday is now or never (unless injury) for them but see my post pre-game about teams trying to beat historically good teams.... They're already running way uphill and things just got steep as fuck.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Chris Paul and a bunch of 3 point shooters. You know Houston had one of the best offensive ratings ever this season, right?

Regular season is a totally different animal than the playoffs. That should be known by now. Warriors thrive on the playoffs. They coast through the regular season. Houston played this year desperate for that 1 seed. They got it. And in one game, that advantage was stripped. And they looked outclassed doing it. 

Warriors have great shooters, too. Houston does not have the firepower to outscore the Warriors. Regular season numbers or not. Throw all that out the window at this point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Houston needs to force more turnovers (although strangely Curry is credited with only 1 turnover when he had at least 3).  They lost the turnover battle and if they lose this, they'll lose 90% of the time vs the Warriors. 

Agree 100% with this. 

13 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I'm not quite ready to hand the Warriors the next 3 of 4 NBA Finals trophies, but it looks unfathomably possible... What is the missing piece that Houston needs over GSW..?

Well in my eyes, Houston is not beating GSW with the tandem of Harden/Paul. As well as Dantoni as their coach. This is the Phoenix Suns all over again. Fun team to watch. Great in the regular season and first 2 rounds of the playoffs. But they come undone in the WCF. This is their ceiling until proven otherwise. Harden and Paul don't win in the playoffs. Even Lebron joining would not really help because of those 2.

It's going to have to come from a team in the East to knock them off honestly. And it will probably depend on what Lebron does this summer. Does he join the Sixers? Hell could Boston say fuck it and try and get him? Because even with Hayward/Irving healthy and their young stars, it's not enough to knock off GSW. They are just that good. They have lost a total of 4 playoff games (I think) since KD joined. It's unfair at this point. They will have off nights every now and then and teams can snag a game or so. But to beat this team 4 times? I am not seeing it right now.

• Like 1

yeah the rockets can not be losing the turnover battle.

also agree that capela needs to play more.   he wasn't in foul trouble (in fact, he didn't have any), not sure why he only played 30 minutes.

ariza, mbah a moute and tucker have to play better.  way too many misses at the rim from those guys and 1/9 from 3.  just won't cut it.

and it'd be nice if they could get anything at all from ryan anderson and his $20 million salary.

12 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Let's tap the brakes a little. Still just one game. A game that the Warriors have been itching for all season (one with actual stakes!). Houston is going to play Game 2 as the more desperate team, and they'll get more from the role players.

And even if Golden State does go on to win this series and the Finals, Boston (and maybe Philly) will have something to say in the years to come with potentially 4 All-Stars of their own.

On a side note, if the Warriors do manhandle Houston (I doubt it), then that gives LeBron free reign to go anywhere in the offseason, including Houston--with no backlash--as he'll be "needed" to dethrone the dynasty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Regular season is a totally different animal than the playoffs. That should be known by now. Warriors thrive on the playoffs. They coast through the regular season. Houston played this year desperate for that 1 seed. They got it. And in one game, that advantage was stripped. And they looked outclassed doing it. 

Warriors have great shooters, too. Houston does not have the firepower to outscore the Warriors. Regular season numbers or not. Throw all that out the window at this point. 

Look, the Warriors and the Rockets were the two best teams in the NBA this season. What they both did in the regular season has transitioned to the playoffs. 

Obviously Golden State is ridiculously good, arguably one of the all-time greats. The Rockets will have to play almost perfect basketball to beat them.  I've never argued otherwise. 

But I enjoy your typical reactionary hot take after every game, Vic. It never gets old.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Let's tap the brakes a little. Still just one game. A game that the Warriors have been itching for all season (one with actual stakes!). Houston is going to play Game 2 as the more desperate team, and they'll get more from the role players.

And even if Golden State does go on to win this series and the Finals, Boston (and maybe Philly) will have something to say in the years to come with potentially 4 All-Stars of their own.

On a side note, if the Warriors do manhandle Houston (I doubt it), then that gives LeBron free reign to go anywhere in the offseason, including Houston--with no backlash--as he'll be "needed" to dethrone the dynasty.

I mean.... weren't the Rockets itching for this game all season too???  They spent all summer, all season, all playoffs looking forward to this series and building towards trying to show they were tailor made to beat Golden State and they promptly went out and lost home court.  The motivation angle doesn't really ring true tonight.  MDA is going to need to change some things in his rotation, how he attacks the Warriors in the half court, and how he tries to slow KD down (double on the box extended?  Force left on high PNR?)..... I can see Houston winning game 2 because if they don't, they can start reserving their plane tickets for vacation but tonight wasn't because either team took the other lightly.  They both came out and played solid to good games (not great) and the visitors won by double digits....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Uhhhh the Rockets specifically built this team to beat GSW. Their owner or GM even said as much. They got their matchup. At home. On a lot of rest. The fuck? It should have been the other way around. GSW has been there did this. This is Houston's moment. If they weren't itching for this, then that is an indictment on the leaders and the coach.

But they were ready. Did you see the start they had. And the run they made to end the first half? Fact is, they don't have enough. Houston needs Harden/Paul to be on every game. GSW has too much firepower.

Allstars don't mean shit when it comes to beating this GSW team. You need bonafide superstars who know how to win. You are purposely downplaying their talent have been the whole time as to hedge your bets or not come off as pompous and arrogant? Not sure which. But it is pretty clear no one right now in the NBA is beating them barring injuries.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I mean.... weren't the Rockets itching for this game all season too???  They spent all summer, all season, all playoffs looking forward to this series and building towards trying to show they were tailor made to beat Golden State and they promptly went out and lost home court.  The motivation angle doesn't really ring true tonight.  MDA is going to need to change some things in his rotation, how he attacks the Warriors in the half court, and how he tries to slow KD down (double on the box extended?  Force left on high PNR?)..... I can see Houston winning game 2 because if they don't, they can start reserving their plane tickets for vacation but tonight wasn't because either team took the other lightly.  They both came out and played solid to good games (not great) and the visitors won by double digits....

It's an uphill battle, to be sure. When the effort is comparable like it was tonight, Golden State should win. The Warriors are better, flat out, and they're almost certainly going to win this series. But if Houston gets 3 threes from the supporting cast instead of zero, and they completely blow two fewer defensive assignments, maybe they could have hung within striking distance a little longer. Those are fixable things, completely removed from the overall talent disparity.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

You are purposely downplaying their talent have been the whole time as to hedge your bets or not come off as pompous and arrogant? Not sure which.

Golden State losing to any team should (and would) be massively embarrassing and invite an offseason's worth of just criticism for a team who's about to have the highest payroll by a considerable margin and spent most of this season talking about how bored they were. 

But thinking that the Warriors are the better team and will ultimately win (I picked GS to win in 6, winning games 1, 3, 4, and 6) doesn't mean I shouldn't expect the Rockets to make it interesting.

I stand by Houston being the best team they've played in the Kerr era IF they can find a way to bring their 'A' game. They played hard tonight, but not particularly well or smart.

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol. KD hasn’t scored 40 in one playoff game this year. Did New Orleans and the spurs have better defenders than Ariza, tucker and moute? He might have a game of 40 but every game? Lulzz 

Yeah bro all Houston has to do is put him on skates 

only shot for the Rockets is to force GS to go big with Looney. That's easier said than done of course. The Rockets actually did a decent job of getting Green in foul trouble which allowed that run at the end of the 2nd quarter when the Rockets were able to force switches with Looney on Harden. That doesn't work nearly as well with Green out there. 

Green's value really doesn't show up in a box score but he's an integral part of what GS does. Durant was unreal in game 1 but the turning point in the 2nd half was Green's defensive versatility. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Well in my eyes, Houston is not beating GSW with the tandem of Harden/Paul. As well as Dantoni as their coach. This is the Phoenix Suns all over again. Fun team to watch. Great in the regular season and first 2 rounds of the playoffs. But they come undone in the WCF. This is their ceiling until proven otherwise. Harden and Paul don't win in the playoffs. Even Lebron joining would not really help because of those 2.

It's going to have to come from a team in the East to knock them off honestly. And it will probably depend on what Lebron does this summer. Does he join the Sixers? Hell could Boston say fuck it and try and get him? Because even with Hayward/Irving healthy and their young stars, it's not enough to knock off GSW. They are just that good. They have lost a total of 4 playoff games (I think) since KD joined. It's unfair at this point. They will have off nights every now and then and teams can snag a game or so. But to beat this team 4 times? I am not seeing it right now.

I think I am strongly leaning to agree that the GSW are just too deep, the Warriors should thank GM Presti of the Thunder for cheaping out on resigning Harden... As that left the window open for Draymond/ Klay & Steph (as one of the reasons), talking Kevin into heading west to build the NBA's version of the Avengers team...

It also proves how insanely perfect any of the top 6 teams that make the WCF & NBA Finals have to play, just to have a chance to win...

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Yeah bro all Houston has to do is put him on skates 

Lol I never said put him on skates. And did he score 40? Much less average 40ppg all series?

man you must be so pussy hurt your shitty led Westbrook okc thundaaaaaaa are out and never going to amount to shit. It’s eating at you isn’t it. Lulzzzzz. 

No one is beating gs until their reign is over, whether that’s from age or injury or salary cap. As long as they have the big 4 they can rotate anyone with a high motor and will play hard and within their system. They play unselfish basketball and go woth whoever has the hot hand and it’s beautiful to watch but this series it’s tough as fuck. It should make any other fan realize their team has absolutely no shot at winning a series against GS in the near future.

57 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol I never said put him on skates. And did he score 40? Much less average 40ppg all series?

man you must be so pussy hurt your shitty led Westbrook okc thundaaaaaaa are out and never going to amount to shit. It’s eating at you isn’t it. Lulzzzzz. 

"if you don't like my team you're a hater!!!! 😭😭😭😭"

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

only shot for the Rockets is to force GS to go big with Looney. That's easier said than done of course. The Rockets actually did a decent job of getting Green in foul trouble which allowed that run at the end of the 2nd quarter when the Rockets were able to force switches with Looney on Harden. That doesn't work nearly as well with Green out there. 

Green's value really doesn't show up in a box score but he's an integral part of what GS does. Durant was unreal in game 1 but the turning point in the 2nd half was Green's defensive versatility. 

Durant was unreal because he was practically unguarded. Rockets D effort was abysmal. We will see what happens in game 2, but this looks like a sweep. Trying to match layups and 3s for 4 quarters isnt going to work out. Especially when you cant make your layups. 

55 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

"if you don't like my team you're a hater!!!! 😭😭😭😭"

Lol I don’t give a fuck if you like my team, you are clearly just a bitch because the thundaaaa blow dick and have teammate killer Westbrook. You troll every rocket series and it’s not like you are a normal poster who picks a series with facts. You pick against the rockets every series because you are a vaping vagina who has a bruised pussy that the rockets are better than the meth country thundaaaa. 

2 things:

1. Pretty sure a Rockets homer on this thread tried to tell us that the Rockets were the better "team." Having role players doesn't make you a well-rounded team, having team-work makes a team. The Rockets still play through Harden a large majority of the time, with some CP3 mixed in now. GSW can go through Steph, KD, Draymond or even Iggy off the bench, and everybody eats. That's not to mention even Klay took some Nene and Harden off the dribble, which isn't even his forte.

2. Iso-ball is going to be tested, as is D'Antoni this series. Reggie was calling it in the 2nd/3rd quarter... Harden was heavily used the whole game, went off for the first 3 quarters, but by the 4th he was missing layups and jumpshots and turning the ball over for what seemed like the first time all game. GSW was happy to throw 3 or 4 defenders at him (I remember Looney tons in the first half with much more Steph/KD in the 2nd half) and let Harden work for every point. By the 4th, that showed.

The best analogy I saw about the game was essentially "KD was climbing a mountain with comfortable running shoes on and no extra weight... Harden was climbing a mountain with a 50-lb. backpack while barefoot." That's the game I was watching.

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol I don’t give a fuck if you like my team, you are clearly just a bitch because the thundaaaa blow dick and have teammate killer Westbrook. You troll every rocket series and it’s not like you are a normal poster who picks a series with facts. You pick against the rockets every series because you are a vaping vagina who has a bruised pussy that the rockets are better than the meth country thundaaaa. 

you mustve had a rough childhood.

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you mustve had a rough childhood.

I'm not the one that follows a team to every thread shitting on them like a pussy. Usually it's a one time playoff thread with okc because they lose in the first round lately with 50 shots a game westbrook.

Anyways enjoy the rest of the playoffs vag.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I'm not the one that follows a team to every thread shitting on them like a pussy. Usually it's a one time playoff thread with okc because they lose in the first round lately with 50 shots a game westbrook.

u okay now bud? need a hug?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

This dude just called this other dude a Vag.....only on this site!!!  lol

Told yall. I actually like the way the Celtics can match up with the Warriors better than anyone else. I hope they make the finals. They can make a good series out of it.

I know, super hot take here, but it's crazy what a player like KD can do when you literally can't double team him. The Rockets just have no shot.

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

No one is beating gs until their reign is over, whether that’s from age or injury or salary cap. As long as they have the big 4 they can rotate anyone with a high motor and will play hard and within their system. They play unselfish basketball and go woth whoever has the hot hand and it’s beautiful to watch but this series it’s tough as fuck. It should make any other fan realize their team has absolutely no shot at winning a series against GS in the near future.

You could’ve said that before the season though. That’s the things. Anyone with common sense can respect what the rockets have put together, but this is the greatest team ever assembled. That was probably the case before they got KD. 

A few more thoughts about the game:

1. I thought MDA's in-game interview was interesting in that the Rockets had given up 87 points through three quarters and they asked him a fairly generic question about how the game was going and his answer had to do with getting better shots or scoring more or something to that effect.  Dude, your team gave up almost 90 before the fourth quarter started. You may want to consider paying attention to the defensive side of the court. But if he hasn't learned by now, he's never going to learn. Guy is a brilliant at getting the most out of his offensive weapons, but damn he is stubborn.

2. GS switching everything really stifled Houston's offense. They started picking out mismatches but the entire offense just bogged down after that and it's everybody sit around and watch Harden or Paul go one on one against a big or Curry while the clock runs down. There was one out of bounds play they ran where people were cutting and moving and they got an open shot out of it. They need more movement because their role players aren't getting involved otherwise. They have to find them some easy shots.

3. I didn't think the Warriors played particularly well. They were too reliant on KD isolations and too much one on one basketball. It didn't really matter because Durant was so good but they are much more devastating when they are moving the ball better. Curry doesn't get as involved when they play like that and he didn't really put his stamp on the game, other than a couple of really nice driving layups late. Thompson took 15 threes. They can't let him have that many shots. They were lucky he didn't make more of them or that game really turns into a laugher.

4. I hate the league right now with GS being this good. Everybody knew it was going to happen when Durant went there and big shock.... it happened. Nobody else has a chance.

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

homie was cut deep

LOL. homie? is it 1988? You are on a thread of another team(because yours sucks) and i'm cut deep? Lullzzz. You are the one obviously cut deep that the rockets made it further than your shitty thunder because you constantly shit in every thread in every round that we advance. 

I'm also the furthest thing from a homer fan as I picked the warriors in 6 before the series started. I am about as unbiased and level headed as they come and if the rockets are better I pick them and when they aren't like this series I say it. 

There is a big difference in what you come in trolling and other non rocket posters that type out real facts of why and aren't just hate picking to be a troll like you.

And do you and the other poster not know what a vag is? short for Vagina and the PC word for pussy, which you clearly have and never get any since you are from methlahoma. No one would cheer for okc from Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

LOL. homie? is it 1988? You are on a thread of another team(because yours sucks) and i'm cut deep? Lullzzz. You are the one obviously cut deep that the rockets made it further than your shitty thunder because you constantly shit in every thread in every round that we advance. 

I'm also the furthest thing from a homer fan as I picked the warriors in 6 before the series started. I am about as unbiased and level headed as they come and if the rockets are better I pick them and when they aren't like this series I say it. 

There is a big difference in what you come in trolling and other non rocket posters that type out real facts of why and aren't just hate picking to be a troll like you.

And do you and the other poster not know what a vag is? short for Vagina and the PC word for pussy, which you clearly have and never get any since you are from methlahoma. No one would cheer for okc from Texas. 

I think you should cry more.

1 minute ago, CBT said:

Do you think any Rockets fans would root for the Mavs or Spurs? I hope not, let the hate flow through you imo.

No but not all rockets fan would come into every playoff thread shitting on the thread if they knew the mavs or spurs would win a series. It's like this every thread, then starts up talking shit and lol like his team was doing the winning. 

I would pick the warriors against anyone and I did this series. clearly not a homer rockets fan. Just a dumb take to say rockets fans are dumb because we cheer for our team? 

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Durant was unreal because he was practically unguarded. Rockets D effort was abysmal. We will see what happens in game 2, but this looks like a sweep. Trying to match layups and 3s for 4 quarters isnt going to work out. Especially when you cant make your layups. 

This isn't true.... KD was something like 11-13 in true ISO's, often time with a hand in face.  He got very few free looks from the free movement of the offense.  He's just that good.  There were a few times (Capela play and Ariza plays come initially to mind) where the Rockets played fantastic one on one D and he simply knocked down a shot in their face.  Keep up that intensity and hope he has an off night in mid-range and you'll force him to take the ball to the basket more where he tends to turn it over more.  But if he's playing like himself, there's nothing you can do if you'll play in 1 on 1 and continue switching 90% of the time.  Probably need a new plan for him.

A few easy statatisical things the Rockets need to do:

1.  Win the turnover battle.  They lost it last night.

2.  Win the battle of the benches by 10 or more.  Last night, they outscored GSW 21-20, but the Warriors were so much more efficient, shooting 67% including Swaggy hitting 3 3's.  Rockets were 30.7% with 5 3's (not bad) but 6 turnovers and 3 assists.  

3. Try and keep the Warriors under 20 FTs per game.  They have such good FT shooters that you're usually putting KD, Klay, or Steph on the line.  They averaged 20 per game in the regular season but were 22-25 in game 1.

There's a whole lot of tactical planning that needs to be done for Houston but these are a few glaring things that stick out from the box score.  2 of these are defensively motivated stats so MDA will probably not see it....