21 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

The final Luicci 44 for 2019. 

https://texags.com/football-recruiting/liucci-44

Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

4:47p, 2/7/19

Staff

AG

If the out-of-state guys were in Texas this year, Calzada, Hunter, White and Russell would have all made the 44-man cut with ease. Probably not too-15s there but definitely a couple of top-25s IMO in Hunter, Russell and perhaps Calzada.

This right here is the primary reason why that fan base simply can't understand why they are not winning championships every year.

• Like 3

Final 2019 Liucci 44. You can see the previous rankings here: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/212-jimbo-2019-the-only-tail-getting-busted-is-candis/&page=117&tab=comments#comment-390651

1. DeMarvin Leal

2. Kenyon Green

3. Garrett Wilson

4. Brian Williams

5. Demani Richardson

6. Dylan Wright

7. Jordan Whittington

8. Marcel Brooks

9. Theo Wease

10. Baylor Cupp

11. Trejan Bridges

12. Erick Young

13. Jeffery Carter

14. Lewis Cine

15. Tyler Johnson

16. Austin Stogner

17. Braedon Mowry

18. Jalen Wydermyer

19. Javonne Shepherd

20. Kameron Brown

21. David Ugwoegbu

22. NaNa Osafo-Mensah

23. Isaiah Spiller

24. Arjei Henderson

25. Tyler Owens

26. Elijah Higgins

27. Marquez Beason

28. Josh Ellison

29. Roschon Johnson

30. Marcus Banks

31. Branson Bragg

32. EJ Ndoma-Ogar

33. T'Vondre Sweat

34. Grant Gunnell

35. Jalen Catalon

36. Layden Robinson

37. Deondrick Glass

38. Marcus Stripling

39. Jalen Curry

40. Darwin Barlow

41. Kori Roberson

42. King Doerue

43. Chase Lane

44. Steven Parker

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They're embracing their lazy evals. Good. Good.

And that comment about Owen's 10.3 is fucking stupid.

Deion Sanders ran a 10.26, BTW.

Deion and Darrell Green were the first two to come to mind reading that.

6'3"  guys don't have those kind of numbers nor his ability to flip his hips. Then add in the modern emphasis on long arms with the reduced contact allowed.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

54 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Deion and Darrell Green were the first two to come to mind reading that.

6'3"  guys don't have those kind of numbers nor his ability to flip his hips. Then add in the modern emphasis on long arms with the reduced contact allowed.

Champ Bailey and Ahmad Carroll come to mind as well. It's just a really dumb take.

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Brian Perroni: Behind-the-scenes of the 2019 Texas A&M recruiting class

Hide contents

Texas A&M has pretty much wrapped up its class of 2019. The only question left is whether longtime commit Braedon Mowry will sign with the Aggies at some point. With the process being over for the rest, we take a look at some of the behind-the-scenes stories that may not have been well-known before.

-Top-100 cornerback Jeffery Carter was committed to Oklahoma and A&M before eventually signing with Alabama. During the time, the 247Sports network also had commitment stories with quotes to Oregon, Alabama (prior to his A&M commitment), A&M a couple times and Oklahoma (again). Those obviously never ended up happening.

While he was saying all the right things about having fun on visits, and that was the case when he planned his LSU one, he was always still a bit enamored with the Tide even after committing to A&M.

The Aggie commits were all a really close group and, the day of Carter’s official visit to Tuscaloosa, he removed himself from the group text. That was pretty much when it was obvious he was gone. He publicly switched the next night. A&M knew it was very likely coming.

-At quarterback, as soon as Kevin Sumlin was fired, Grant Gunnell was basically gone. Fisher and Co. still recruited him and wanted him but they also knew that there were other players that could have been a better fit.

Gunnell really liked Oklahoma State when he decommitted from A&M and there were a couple other schools that also piqued his interest. But, he had really developed a bond with Noel Mazzone, so it became pretty clear that’s where he was headed.

Again, A&M did not cut him loose and both Fisher and Dickey worked on him but, once it became clear that Gunnell was not going to stick, it was not seen as the biggest loss in the world.

-It became public eventually but, at the time, he managed to do it under the radar. After quarterback Zach Calzada came and threw in person at A&M, cementing his offer from the Aggies, he went home and was supposed to make a couple other trips before making a decision. While he did go camp at Tennessee and earn an offer, that was the only visit he made.

Well, except for one other. Calzada managed to sneak down to College Station for the second time in a week. So, him committing the day after that did not come as a surprise.

Also, Georgia worked REALLY hard to get Calzada to flip before the Early Signing Period. He managed to make his way to Athens for an unofficial visit that Sunday right before the dead period. The Bulldogs came close to convincing him to stay in state but he had become very comfortable with the idea of playing at A&M and loved Fisher and Dickey’s offense.

-West Mesquite wide receiver Dylan Wright pretty much let A&M know he was coming when he was in town over the summer and caught passes from Calzada. I am not sure why Texas still felt so confident after that, but the Aggies definitely felt they had him wrapped up, and they were right. I don't know if I would go so far as to call him a 'silent commit,' but it was about as close to that as possible.

He had originally planned to wait until the Under Armour Game to announce but both he and A&M wanted the Aggies to get some momentum out of his pledge. He decided to announce in early August instead. It completely caught Texas off-guard but, again, it was something that had been in the works for a while.

-Another Aggie commitment that caught Texas off-guard was national top-100 safety Brian Williams. To this day, Williams has never been to a game at Kyle Field. However, he was very high on Notre Dame with Mike Elko being a big reason why. When Elko made his way to A&M, it gave the Aggies a huge ‘in’ as Williams could play for him and stay close to home.

I made a Crystal Ball prediction for the Aggies not too long after Elko arrived. Williams then made his way to A&M for an unofficial visit with Team Texas and committed then before announcing the next day.

If you look at the Crystal Ball predictions, most of them were in favor of Texas. They did not expect him to shut things down and, even when he did, did not think it would last. However, he became the vocal leaders of the class and absolutely never wavered.

The thing is, if Elko had remained at Notre Dame, there was a good chance Williams ended up in South Bend instead of Austin. Obviously, distance was a factor, but Texas was by no means a lock. The Longhorns definitely underestimated both A&M and Elko in this one, though.

A&M’s other safety commit in Demani Richardson was another player the Longhorns felt very good about. Williams helped a ton with him and he ended up committing about a month later. That was another one that caught those in Austin off-guard. There were still a couple Longhorn Crystal Ball predictions for him when he pledge d to the Aggies.

-Tennessee linebacker Christopher Russell was pretty much secured to A&M after his in-home with Jimbo Fisher last week. The next night, he had the Vols assistants in home as well. I have no idea what happened there, to be honest, but I talked to him right after and he told me he canceled the visit there. He wanted to announce that himself so I had to write an article with only quotes on A&M and Arkansas despite the fact that he was supposedly going to Knoxville that coming weekend.

This past Monday, Russell texted me out of the blue that it was going to be A&M. He did so by sending me the picture of him in Aggie gear along with the simple message, “I’m going to A&M.” He was happy with the fact that we did not previously share anything about his canceled Tennessee visit. I agreed to only change my Crystal Ball and not say anything else as to my reasoning.

Russell actually signed early in the morning but asked A&M to hold off on announcing it until he did so during his ceremony. That’s likely why Fisher’s press conference was set for 4:30 p.m. instead of earlier in the day.

-Though Erick Young was pretty solid throughout the process, he did at least look at Ohio State after his Aggie commitment. When people noticed he was following all the tOSU coaches on Twitter, there was definitely a little bit to that. I believe he still would have stuck, but the Buckeyes did not have room left as it was a little later in the cycle.

Speaking of Young, he wanted to have a little bit of fun with his commitment when he released his list of top schools the day before that did not include A&M. He got a few people as at least one outlet reported he was USC-bound.

Luckily, he had given a couple of us a heads up at The Opening Finals, which is why I told you guys I was sticking with my Crystal Ball despite his ‘final’ schools.

-A&M really wanted Devonta Lee of Amite, La., at outside linebacker. Though LSU was still the leader, the Aggies had made up ground and were set to get him on campus. LSU definitely saw A&M as a legit threat.

It just so happened that, the Friday his visit was supposed to begin, the Tigers sent multiple coaches to his school. They then stayed for his basketball game that night. They definitely did everything they could to keep him from making it to A&M and it worked.

-Why do I never buy into ‘silent commits?’ Because Texas A&M had several in this class.

Both David Ugwoegbu and Marcus Stripling had let the staff know multiple times that they would be Aggies. Both wanted to wait a little bit to go public and potentially take other visits but they were pretty much marked down as commits.

Well, when pressed, neither was ready to actually go public. A&M needed more of a commitment, as to not be left holding the bag. They wanted both but that’s when they moved on from Stripling. Ugwoegbu had one last chance on his official but he still wasn’t ready, so that was it for his shot as well.

There was one ‘silent’ that did end up signing, though. Tight end Jalen Wydermyer gave his pledge back before the season started. He REALLY wanted to visit Miami, though, and he already had it set up for Dickinson’s bye week, which was not until Week 10. Though they likely would have preferred he go public, A&M had more faith in him actually signing. His plan was to wait until Dec. 19 to announce but, after his official, he wanted to get it over with.

-Speaking of silent commits, Derick Hunter was a big get for the Aggies in December. But, despite reports the couple weeks prior that he had made a silent pledge to A&M, it was definitely not a done deal and the Aggies did not consider it to be so.

At the same time he had silently committed to A&M, he had also done so with Florida. He simply had trouble telling people no. Though I don’t know if he ever gave them a commitment per se, Miami was under the impression that he would end up a Cane as well.

Even after the reports came out of the silent to the Aggies, all three schools still felt good and had been reassured. He really just did not like confrontation, apparently.

A&M kept working on him and felt pretty good but, again, the Aggies were aware of all the developments with the other schools.

Keep in mind that Hunter was still publicly committed to Florida State through all of this as well.

This also followed a time earlier in his recruitment when he had committed to Georgia on an unofficial visit. He was supposed to go public that next week and gave an interview with a local newspaper about it. Well, when they ran it, he backed off and said it wasn’t true.

His recruitment was a wild ride and it was not until the night before the Early Signing Period that the two Florida schools were completely ruled out.

-Though Texas, for some reason, continued to think there was a chance that they would flip DeMarvin Leal, he was pretty solid to the Aggies throughout, even when officially visiting both Alabama and Texas right after making his pledge.

If there was one team that came the closest to flipping him, though, it was Alabama. Leal admitted as much at the All-American Bowl, saying the Tide finished second for him.

He actually told the 247 network after his Alabama visit that the Aggies and Tide were tied at the top. However, prior to the publication of the story, he called the reporter and said that was not actually the case. He wanted to make it clear that A&M, where he was committed, was still at the top.

After that point, Leal was locked in to A&M. He never made any other visits and only barely kept communication with those two other schools, as he admitted at the time as well. He wanted to have a plan just in case something crazy happened with Jimbo Fisher, like he up and quit or something.

-To be honest, I don’t know all the details on the Christian Harris flip. I know that, at one point, he was not being pushed too hard by Alabama. However, right before committing to A&M, that changed. He unofficially visited Tuscaloosa where he got the hard sell. However, he then came back and committed to the Aggies.

Again, Alabama went a bit quiet on him. But, they ramped up the pressure again late, right before his official visit. A few days before that trip, A&M started getting a lot more nervous about him. They felt good prior to that about holding on to him but they began sweating it quite a bit, and apparently for good reason.

-Two other ‘decommits’ in the class were not quite the same as the others.

Houston Madison cornerback Bobby Wolfe was someone the Aggies really liked as a player. However, there were other concerns with him and A&M let him know it had moved on. Obviously, the Aggies cannot talk about a prospect so they couldn’t say that. Wolfe ‘decommitted’ in a tactful manner as both sides went their separate ways. Wolfe signed with Arizona and hopefully he makes it to Tucson.

While it was not quite the same with Pensacola, Fla., offensive lineman Adrian Medley, the out-of-state prospect saw the writing on the wall as well. He did not have a great senior season and A&M was running into a number’s crunch. He was not getting the same amount of attention as he had been receiving. So, a flip to UCF was not a surprise. While the Knights are a very good program, it is somewhat telling that Clemson and Florida State, two teams previously hard after him, did not push a ton around the time of his decommitment.

-A lot of people have asked about why the Aggies did not go in home with Javonne Shepherd in the final week. His recruitment was full of more twists and turns than almost anybody else’s in the past few years and I never got any concrete answer there.

I do know that A&M continued to recruit him, though. The Aggies were in communication up to Signing Day. Also, after his official visit to A&M, the talk among all the schools recruiting him was that he was likely an Aggie. Even Texas expected a flip and did not think he would take the official visit to Austin. Things obviously changed late there.

-Though he was never seriously considering A&M, a bit of a funny situation happened with Baton Rouge four-star RB and longtime LSU commit Tyrion Davis. This past summer, a number of prospects from Baton Rouge all came down to camp together at Texas A&M. All but one were going through the camp. I happened to recognize the other one that was not, and it was Davis.

He did not want it reported that he was there, for obvious reasons, and we respected that, especially since it was clear he was just watching his friends and not actually camping.

But, 247 did not have a great profile pic of him at the time. So, if you look at the one that was added over the summer, it might look a lot like the indoor facility in Aggieland. We had to line it up so there were no A&M markings in the background.

-Who knows what would have happened had the Aggies pursued but A&M did indeed back off four-star Katy Cinco Ranch linebacker David Gbenda. He had a top three of A&M, TCU and Texas but, while still uncommitted, only the Longhorns sent him a written offer when those could go out on Aug. 1.

Gbenda had planned to visit TCU a couple times and never made it, so the Frogs decided to go in a different direction. A&M was not sure he was a great fit in its defense.

He did have a big senior season, though, being named Defensive MVP in a loaded Katy ISD district. While I think he could have played in the SEC, he probably is a better fit in the Big 12.

-At one point, it seemed like only a matter of time before Allen five-star wide receiver Theo Wease and Fort Bend Travis four-star wideout Arjei Henderson announced for the Aggies. They had long planned to play together.

However, they both began to want to push things back a bit. It was at the same time that the Aggies were starting to feel confident in Kenyon Jackson as well.

While A&M still would have likely taken them, they liked Jackson and were even higher on Dylan Wright. They felt that combo was as good or better than one of Wease-Henderson. The recruitment of Wease and Henderson slowed a bit at that point. The duo ended up committing to Oklahoma, though Henderson signed with Florida in the end.

-Nothing ever ended up coming out of it but five-star linebacker Marcel Brooks at least showed a little bit of interest in A&M late in the season. He also did so with Oklahoma over the summer and many people expected him to switch to the Sooners.

That flirtation with Oklahoma that never went anywhere, as well as off-the-field concerns, were likely reasons A&M did not think Brooks was incredibly serious about the Aggies. He had also tentatively set up a couple unofficial visits to Aggieland in the past that never ended up happening.

They backed off wease and Henderson because they liked weight and Jackson better.   LO fucking L  

They can't write or say anything without Stereotyping players by their ability to play in the SEC, while the rest of the conference has shut up about that since it's been proven bullshit. 

Just another conference with 1 really good team, a couple good teams and a majority of mediocre.  Just like the rest of them.  Aggy jokes, they write theirselves.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They're embracing their lazy evals. Good. Good.

And that comment about Owen's 10.3 is fucking stupid.

Deion Sanders ran a 10.26, BTW.

More recently this Michael Huff fellow ran 10.13 at an NCAA meet.  But I guess he doesn't count since he accomplished nothing beyond the Thorpe Award and consensus AA.

• Like 1

Or how about this from the 2018 NFL combine:

Ohio State's Denzel Ward, LSU's Donte Jackson and Tulane's Perry Nickerson all ripped off 40 times of exactly 4.32 seconds. All three are cornerbacks, so they all ran in Monday's drills. They'll share this year's title as the fastest player from the week in Indianapolis.

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

hahaha holy shit

(1) one WR is more valuable than all 4 of UT's

(2) he's really suggesting that defensive players are lesser athletes than offensive players? 

these comments have the potential to top "VY < Reggie" and "Benson < Derek Farmer". and that's not easy to do. 

Don’t forget Leon > UT safeties.

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

That Dylan Wright comment is gold. Also Ainias Smith is pretty small while Tyler Owens' special thing is he has those numbers and a prototype safety build, but they didn't bother to note that, did they?

One Dylan Wright is better than the Bru McCoy, Jake Smith, Jordan Whittington, Marcus Washington  and Kennedy Lewis. That’s fucking pure Aggy at it’s finest. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

They backed off wease and Henderson because they liked weight and Jackson better.   LO fucking L  

They can't write or say anything without Stereotyping players by their ability to play in the SEC, while the rest of the conference has shut up about that since it's been proven bullshit. 

Just another conference with 1 really good team, a couple good teams and a majority of mediocre.  Just like the rest of them.  Aggy jokes, they write theirselves.  

It’s really hard to read an article when the writer does not know, when to use commas. It is distracting to the point, where I do not even want to finish reading what Lucci, says. So, A&M passed on every, guy that they did, not sign? 

And they hired someone, who clearly, did not, go to school, to learn, how, to write?, 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, bizzle said:

i think this is a totally valid take - i personally like the guy's potential at center after a year but turner definitely had his own opinion when it comes to evaluations.

and liucci's paper-thin skin over literally everything after 20 years in the business is kind of amazing. 

Based on what I saw (again, you can only tell so much from HUDL), I would think center looks like his best shot/natural position. His best attribute is his ability to maul the guy in front of him - and he admittedly seems to be very good at that. I could see that working out better than the other two slots on the interior.

Edited by campcrunk
grammar and spelling and junk