2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Any of the Godfathers 

Goodfellas

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Resevoir Dogs 

Dazed & Confused

Big Lebowski

ok my list is bad (any of the star wars, any of the marvel movies, any Indiana Jones, and even shawshank), but even i've seen every one of these, multiple times. from november of last year until february of this year i was never not watching The Wire. i literally watched the entire series three consecutive times. this list you've presented is almost unfathomable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

ok my list is bad (any of the star wars, any of the marvel movies, any Indiana Jones, and even shawshank),

Your list is way worse than his. 

Mine:

Breaking Bad

Always Sunny

Mad Men

Lost

ET

The Wire ? (Is that an all time classic? I never would have even thought of it if not mentioned above)

2021 Olympics

• Like 1

ok my list is bad (any of the star wars, any of the marvel movies, any Indiana Jones, and even shawshank) …this list I've presented is almost unfathomable. 

FIFY

Every other reference on Surly comes from one of these movies. Every other one. No wonder sometimes you seem to be lost.

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

ok my list is bad (any of the star wars, any of the marvel movies, any Indiana Jones, and even shawshank)

you have not seen the empire strikes back, raiders of the lost ark, or the shawshank redemption?

derka, come on man. sit down with mom and knock that shit out. 

Edited by futureman

9 hours ago, futureman said:

you haven’t seen any of these?

Nope. Derka reminded me I’ve never seen any Indiana Jones or James Bond, or Shawshank either. Never seen ET as well. 

Not a big TV show guy in general. Once I saw how many suburban white hipsters were calling The Wire “gritty & realistic” I knew it wasn’t for me. 

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Nope. Derka reminded me I’ve never seen any Indiana Jones or James Bond, or Shawshank either. Never seen ET as well. 

Not a big TV show guy in general. Once I saw how many suburban white hipsters were calling The Wire “gritty & realistic” I knew it wasn’t for me. 

you don’t deserve the wire. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Justified

Started Peaky Blinders, then the Olympics started

The Shield

Citizen Kane

The Right Stuff

Schindler's List

Dances with Wolves

Young Frankenstein

edit: But they are all on my list - it's not a boycott list

Edited by jeevsie

My list would be ridiculously long.

Most any recent, "gotta see" it series: Sopranos, Mad Men, Wire, Arrested Development, X-files, 30 Rock, Game of Thrones, Modern Family, Downton Abby,  House, Dexter, etc.

I have seen 2-3 episode of Lost and binge watched the first season of Breaking Bad (thought it was the greatest thing ever and had no interest in starting season 2).  

Just now, Lhorn said:

Most any recent, "gotta see" it series: Sopranos, Mad Men, Wire, Arrested Development, X-files, 30 Rock, Game of Thrones, Modern Family, Downton Abby,  House, Dexter, etc.

I have seen 2-3 episode of Lost and binge watched the first season of Breaking Bad (thought it was the greatest thing ever and had no interest in starting season 2).  

the first season of breaking bad is one of the worst seasons of breaking bad.

why do people deprive themselves of things?

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Depression Hotline Number | 24 Hour Depression Helpline

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

why do people deprive themselves of things?

Yes, it's an error that at some point I should correct.  Likewise I bought the first three seasons of Sopranos at a Goodwill type place and they are sitting on a shelf.  There's no reason not to.   

43 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Funny, I just started watching it 2 weeks ago and couldn't understand the big deal. Seems like it could have been a movie more than a 5 season show. 

Then Saul showed up and I'm hooked.

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

Any of the Godfathers 

Goodfellas

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Resevoir Dogs 

Dazed & Confused

Big Lebowski

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

ok my list is bad (any of the star wars, any of the marvel movies, any Indiana Jones, and even shawshank), but even i've seen every one of these, multiple times. from november of last year until february of this year i was never not watching The Wire. i literally watched the entire series three consecutive times. this list you've presented is almost unfathomable. 

Both of your lists are terrible but for Derka it's more of a quirk and for Helobious I feel like it's just another data point in a long list of idiocy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Justified

Started Peaky Blinders, then the Olympics started

The Shield

Citizen Kane

The Right Stuff

Schindler's List

Dances with Wolves

Young Frankenstein

edit: But they are all on my list - it's not a boycott list

Schindler's is a weird one for me that I've never seen. But I'm not 40-50 like some of you. Of the other films Young Frankenstein is probably the only must watch there. 

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I have never watched Lawrence of Arabia - only snippets. 

Lawrence-of-Arabia-03.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Has anyone sat through the whole thing? It's one of those "oh hey Lawrence of Arabia is on TCM at 9" type movies where you start it then suddenly wake-up and it's midnight and it's still on.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Has anyone sat through the whole thing? It's one of those "oh hey Lawrence of Arabia is on TCM at 9" type movies where you start it then suddenly wake-up and it's midnight and it's still on.

Unfortunately I'm like that with FATF.  If it's on, I'm watching for some reason.  Unless it's part 2 in Miami or the Tokyo Drift one, fuck that.

Anything before 1985, I likely have not seen.  So Lawrence of Arabia, Ghandi, Ishtar etc, just never really had the urge to watch.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I only recently learned it's based on a true story.

On 8/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, Lhorn said:

My opinion -- the Wire is the only one that is a pure classic that you need to see, just because of what the writers attempt to achieve.

It's not the most enjoyable of the ones you listed, and some of it is a chore, but to me it's the one that makes you go "fuck, I'm speechless".

I just don't have much of an attention span anymore to sit down and binge watch or even just watch a series to try and keep up with it, usually why I stick to familiar movies since I can zone out a bit but still catch up with the movie.  The Western series with Ian McShane does pique my interest and I'm not one for Westerns.  The TV in our house is mainly on for background noise anymore, either it be sports, cable news or whatever.