Tell me what's happening in Afganistan (no CR. Can't we all just get along?)

Parliament

https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20210713-france-calls-on-its-citizens-to-leave-afghanistan-amid-security-fears
Frogs pulled the trigger on 7/17 

"The government will set up a special flight on the morning of July 17th, departing from Kabul, in order to allow the return to France of the entire French community," the embassy said in a statement, adding the flight will be free of cost.

"The Embassy of France formally recommends to all French citizens to take this special flight or to leave the country immediately by their own means."

France joins a growing list of countries that have either told their citizens to leave, or evacuated them -- including in recent days India and China.

The embassy said it will not be in a position to ensure the safe departure of citizens choosing to stay beyond July 17.

The Taliban have launched an offensive across the country since early May, when US-led foreign forces began their final withdrawal, which is now almost complete.

The hardline Islamist group has swept through much of the north, and the government now holds little more than a constellation of provincial capitals that must largely be resupplied by air.

And yet they still had to go in and rescue their citizens..makes absolutely no sense.

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i wonder if literally anyone in the Taliban looks around and sees countries abandoning embassies, evacuating their citizens, Afghanis themselves fleeing, dying trying to get out and thinks...

image.png.e0ffd9d1baed9cf39c326a50a4b36ece.png

no, I never think about any of his scenes, he sucked as Ducky, should have been Robert Downey Jr. like Molly wanted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Airspace pretty active today with a lot of inbound and outbound C-17's. Qatar is assisting. Spain running a Hercules. Not a Hercules, but their airbus wannabe. 

Hope we can get a lot of people out today. Cannot imagine the chaos as the 31st approaches. 

37 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

no, I never think about any of his scenes, he sucked as Ducky, should have been Robert Downey Jr. like Molly wanted.

Holy shit, that actually makes a lot of sense and the movie has now been ruined for me.

*It is my ex-wife's favorite movie so it's already ruined.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Airspace pretty active today with a lot of inbound and outbound C-17's. Qatar is assisting. Spain running a Hercules. 

Hope we can get a lot of people out today. Cannot imagine the chaos as the 31st approaches. 

Son is at Rota and said they are expecting 2000 refugees in next 24 hours.

Tent city being built.  

Speaking of commercial aircraft, this is a weird fucking story coming out of the JPost.

Ukraine, Iran deny report Ukrainian plane hijacked in Afghanistan

Both Ukraine and Iran denied on Tuesday reports that a Ukrainian plane that was evacuating Ukrainians from Afghanistan on Sunday was hijacked by armed hijackers and flown to Iran instead.

"Last Sunday, our plane was hijacked by other people. On Tuesday, the plane was practically stolen from us, it flew into Iran with an unidentified group of passengers onboard instead of airlifting Ukrainians. Our next three evacuation attempts were also not successful because our people could not get into the airport," said Ukraine's deputy foreign minister Yevhenii Yenin to the Ukrainian Hromadske Radio on Tuesday.

The Iranian Civil Aviation Authority denied the report, saying that the plane refueled in Mashhad and then flew to Kiev.

Oleg Nikolenko, a spokesman for the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denied the report as well, saying "There are no captured Ukrainian planes in Kabul or elsewhere. The information about the 'captured plane' that is being circulated by some media outlets is not true," according to the RBC Ukraine news agency.

Nikolenko clarified that Yenin was only generally explaining the unprecedented level of of difficulties that diplomats had to face in evacuating Ukrainians. It is unclear why Yenin said that plane was hijacked by armed persons and "actually stolen" if this was not the case.

According to the report, the deputy minister did not state what happened to the plane or whether Kiev would seek to get the plane back.

Edited by Shady Ray

CIA director met Taliban leader in Afghanistan on Monday, Washington Post reports

WASHINGTON, Aug 24 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden dispatched the nation's top spy to meet the head of the Taliban on Monday, in the highest level diplomatic encounter since the militant group took over Afghanistan's capital, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

The Post, citing unnamed U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said CIA Director William Burns met Taliban Leader Abdul Ghani Baradar in Kabul on Monday as the Biden administration continues efforts to evacuate U.S. citizens and other allies amid chaos at the airport in Kabul. read more 

Reuters could not immediately verify the report. Representatives for the Central Intelligence Agency and the White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Reporting by Susan Heavey; Editing by Andrew Heavens

https://www.reuters.com/world/cia-director-met-taliban-leader-kabul-monday-washington-post-reports-2021-08-24/

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Watching the BBC's coverage of the Taliban press conference. Seems they are pretty worried about the brain drain. They are calling for all embassies that are "faithful" to the Taliban should remain. 

Faithful to the Taliban ?  So those that are for rape, murder, torture, and religious zealotry...  got it....(scanning list of countries that fit those qualifications now).

17 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I've been to France, it was amazing. Instead of "hat" they say "chapeau". Instead of "street" they say "boulevard". They've got a word for everything!

Doodlee swee de doodlee swah

What happened?  What happened?

He spoke French!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, elfenix said:

Would you dip shits just fucking report it and move on?

Taliban doubles down on Aug. 31 deadline, says Afghans no longer allowed to reach Kabul airport
By Rachel Pannett, Ellen Francis and Adam Taylor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/24/afghanistan-kabul-taliban-live-updates/

sounds like our negotiations did not go well.

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Tough to negotiate when you have nothing to trade. 

Taliban is broke. They need new financing. Playing nice on the world stage may bring about funding from legitimate sources. The Taliwhacks know this. It is a question of whether they can control their fundamentalist cultists. 

8 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Taliban is broke. They need new financing. Playing nice on the world stage may bring about funding from legitimate sources. The Taliwhacks know this. It is a question of whether they can control their fundamentalist cultists. 

That's likely the end game. Will send them a few billion to free our hostages.

• Hook 'Em 2

If true, and I really hope not, then once again I am utterly disappointed: 

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-agrees-with-pentagon-recommendation-stick-aug-31-afghan-pullout-deadline-2021-08-24/

August 24, 2021
11:33 AM CDT
Last Updated 11 minutes ago
World
Biden agrees with Pentagon recommendation to stick to Aug 31 Afghan pullout deadline – source

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

If true, and I really hope not, then once again I am utterly disappointed in the decision making: 

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-agrees-with-pentagon-recommendation-stick-aug-31-afghan-pullout-deadline-2021-08-24/

August 24, 2021
World
Biden agrees with Pentagon recommendation to stick to Aug 31 Afghan pullout deadline – source

"Get out or we'll start killing Americans and posting pics of their severed heads online"

"Okie dokie, we'll turn the lights out before we leave!"

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

"Get out or we'll start killing Americans and posting pics of their severed heads online"

"Okie dokie, we'll turn the lights out before we leave!"

Enough American heads online would reinvigorate the entire United States to send all of the troops back and triple down on the effort.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

I've seen so many different numbers of people removed and remaining and none of them seem to agree with one another.

How many more American people are there that need to be removed?

Hearing thousands scattered across the country.  We don't seem to really know, which is the biggest concern.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

If true, and I really hope not, then once again I am utterly disappointed: 

August 24, 2021
World

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Surprised?

6 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

A little. I mean given the below options:

A) Listen to your allies and try to get out as many of their people, your people, and refugees out

or

B) Listen to a terrorist organization and tell the people stuck and your allies "tough shit, you're on your own." 

I truly thought you'd go with option A. I mean, I guess I knew it was a possibility that somebody would go with option B, but I didn't think it would happen. There's too much pressure and eyeballs watching to double-down on a bad decision. Two wrongs usually don't make a right.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The Taliban want us out - seems a prudent call would be to state emphatically NOT until all Western NGO's are safely returned.  Except we turned over Bagram air base, limiting out ability to carry out air strikes, etc.  But not impossible.  

Can we try to stick with keeping this thread as a resource for information and avoid the commentary on that information (e.g., criticism of policy which implicitly suggests a political view and which invariably draws someone offsides)?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Can we try to stick with keeping this thread as a resource for information and avoid the commentary on that information (e.g., criticism of policy which implicitly suggests a political view and which invariably draws someone offsides)?

we can not.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Republican house members are holding a press conference following classified briefing. Sounds like intelligence is admitting there's no way to evacuate all Americans by 8/31.

So, without hearing Biden’s reasoning, the Taliban demand for a 8/31 withdrawal and them preventing Afghani’s going to the airport is consistent with REALLY want us to leave with as many of our people as possible.  If the latter is true, they are trying to clear the roads so we can get our people out. 

Again: taking it at face value. 

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

So, without hearing Biden’s reasoning, the Taliban demand for a 8/31 withdrawal and them preventing Afghani’s going to the airport is consistent with REALLY want us to leave with as many of our people as possible.  If the latter is true, they are trying to clear the roads so we can get our people out. 

Again: taking it at face value. 

Let's hope so