Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Pretty much. I think it will be a rematch of last season's NFC title game. I do not buy into Arizona at all. And would actually love them to actually get the 1 seed for the fact that a trip there is not daunting like going to Tampa or GB. 

I think Dallas once again is a wild card win ceiling. And after that, fizzle out in the next round. Might be a close game but we won't have enough to win. A lot can change with a quarter left of the season but I don't see this offense getting back on track. They peaked in the NE win. That is when Dak got hurt. OL then had to start shuffling around. Run game his dissolved. Dak is still being bothered by the calf injury and I think he is being hesitant on some throws. Zeke is not even close to being right. Pollard is now banged up. Tyron and his usual injuries. Martin went down and came back in but who knows what will come of that.

Brady/Rodgers can overcome a lot more than any other QB in the NFC right now. They are going to easily be the 2 best QBs in the playoffs on our side. 

Pretty sure Parsons, Gregory, Lawrence would like an opportunity to prove you wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Pretty sure Parsons, Gregory, Lawrence would like an opportunity to prove you wrong. 

I sure hope they do. And I have no doubts they can early in the playoffs. But is this a team that can go on the road and win against a top NFC team? I don't see it right now. Now if we get into a big groove to finish this season, then ok. This offense is too inconsistent right now. We have little room for error. We won't be playing Washington or NO in the playoffs. If the offense is going to be stuck in the mud come playoff time, then this defense is going to have to step it up even more to supplement their struggles. We will need turnovers and probably a defensive score.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2021 at 1:21 PM, Hermanator said:

GIF by Giphy QA

Buffalo definitely and Miami probably better especially with a rookie QB. 

Some saying Cam isn't vaccinated so that becomes an issue wasting one of your allowed unvaccinated spots on a backup QB. I bet he either doesn't play this season to signs in Houston for starter money (if they have it available)

Ohhhh?

the defense is pure evil.  don't touch it.

the offense is fucked.  dak is not a threat to run.  zeke is macgyvered on rubber bands and paper clips.  pollard is out until proven otherwise.

parcells:

january?

defense: check

running game: fetch

win the division, then maybe win the home game

that's it

$9.95

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Mike Glennon still the backup?

Yes.  And they're talking about Jake Fromm getting some snaps too.  Giants are in full evaluation/tank mode.  They're firing the GM, Gettlemen (who is fucking terrible), and going a totally different direction.  Jones may only be a placeholder QB by next year, but he can run and is athletic which can limit the pass rush.  Glennon gets the ball out more quickly because he's slow but we should dominate their front regardless....... if we come to play.  Huge game because if Philly beats WFT, we almost certainly clinch the East.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes.  And they're talking about Jake Fromm getting some snaps too.  Giants are in full evaluation/tank mode.  They're firing the GM, Gettlemen (who is fucking terrible), and going a totally different direction.  Jones may only be a placeholder QB by next year, but he can run and is athletic which can limit the pass rush.  Glennon gets the ball out more quickly because he's slow but we should dominate their front regardless....... if we come to play.  Huge game because if Philly beats WFT, we almost certainly clinch the East.

I fear the vet backups more than erratic players like Jones. This is why the Jones injury is not a positive for me.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Pretty much. I think it will be a rematch of last season's NFC title game. I do not buy into Arizona at all. And would actually love them to actually get the 1 seed for the fact that a trip there is not daunting like going to Tampa or GB. 

I think Dallas once again is a wild card win ceiling. And after that, fizzle out in the next round. Might be a close game but we won't have enough to win. A lot can change with a quarter left of the season but I don't see this offense getting back on track. They peaked in the NE win. That is when Dak got hurt. OL then had to start shuffling around. Run game his dissolved. Dak is still being bothered by the calf injury and I think he is being hesitant on some throws. Zeke is not even close to being right. Pollard is now banged up. Tyron and his usual injuries. Martin went down and came back in but who knows what will come of that.

Brady/Rodgers can overcome a lot more than any other QB in the NFC right now. They are going to easily be the 2 best QBs in the playoffs on our side. 

Agreed on all. I’m constantly trying to do the math to see if we win out, can we get #1 seed?  No, because TB would have to lose two, and their schedule is laughably weak here on out. And so is GB’s.  Without a 1 seed, it’s hard to see us advancing even beyond divisional round  

Dallas and LAR and Arizona have the talent to threaten GB and TB, but I don’t see it with Dallas and Arizona. They don’t have the coaching, running games or QB to beat both on the road. LAR does, but it’s unlikely they beat both. 

On 12/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

This is why traditionally the games are never played and why the Giants didn’t win two Super Bowls

True, BUT, message boards exist for a reason. I for one would still like to play the games - you know, fuck around and find out. See if our stellar DL can replicate the Giants’ of that era. But to discuss GB and TB as very clear favorites is logical. Vic isn’t Randy Gregory. He just bangs girls Randy’s weight. 

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Agreed on all. I’m constantly trying to do the math to see if we win out, can we get #1 seed?  No, because TB would have to lose two, and their schedule is laughably weak here on out. And so is GB’s.  Without a 1 seed, it’s hard to see us advancing even beyond divisional round  

Dallas and LAR and Arizona have the talent to threaten GB and TB, but I don’t see it with Dallas and Arizona. They don’t have the coaching, running games or QB to beat both on the road. LAR does, but it’s unlikely they beat both. 

Yes they can, because all it requires is Tampa and GB losing once.  They probably won't, but this is the NFL,  you never a know.

A 3 way tie would give Dallas the 1 seed(they'd have to win out) thanks to a sterling 1 loss NFC record.  Basically, in that scenario the mid season slump, and the losses 3/4 weeks to AFC West teams doesn't hurt them one bit.

Also, I called it on Williams vs McGoverin when they made the stupid switch. They already knew Williams was better, thats' why they started him in the first place. Only reason they made the change is the stupid penalties, which never really hurt them all that much to begin with. 

8 hours ago, Drew said:

Yes they can, because all it requires is Tampa and GB losing once.  They probably won't, but this is the NFL,  you never a know.

A 3 way tie would give Dallas the 1 seed(they'd have to win out) thanks to a sterling 1 loss NFC record.  Basically, in that scenario the mid season slump, and the losses 3/4 weeks to AFC West teams doesn't hurt them one bit.

Also, I called it on Williams vs McGoverin when they made the stupid switch. They already knew Williams was better, thats' why they started him in the first place. Only reason they made the change is the stupid penalties, which never really hurt them all that much to begin with. 

Both losing one and the Boys winning out is incredibly far fetched. Benching Williams was sensible at the time because he’s just not that good. 

Both losing one and the Boys winning out is incredibly far fetched. Benching Williams was sensible at the time because he’s just not that good. 

It literally isn’t. The saints already beat the Bucs so they had a shot.

GB does have a couple possible games.

The cowboys winning out is probably just as likely.

And no, Williams wasn’t playing bad. He had a penalty or two a game that people seemed to think meant he sucked. He didn’t. He was better the entire time.

Also, Brady and Tampa are just as suspect on offense as Dallas is when they’re without some weapons and not in sync on offense.

Basically anyone can beat anyone.

So all you defeatist “cowboys can’t beat any of these playoff teams” whiners just need to cool your jets and let’s see what happens.

If TB loses tonight the cowboys incredibly have the 2 seed. They’ll still need GB to lose one(possible if unlikely) and to win out to get the 1 seed…but it’s possible.

And if somehow they end up the 2 seed, they at least avoid GB till the NFCG and get Tampa at home in the 2nd round.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

It literally isn’t. The saints already beat the Bucs so they had a shot.

GB does have a couple possible games.

The cowboys winning out is probably just as likely.

And no, Williams wasn’t playing bad. He had a penalty or two a game that people seemed to think meant he sucked. He didn’t. He was better the entire time.

Also, Brady and Tampa are just as suspect on offense as Dallas is when they’re without some weapons and not in sync on offense.

Basically anyone can beat anyone.

So all you defeatist “cowboys can’t beat any of these playoff teams” whiners just need to cool your jets and let’s see what happens.

If TB loses tonight the cowboys incredibly have the 2 seed. They’ll still need GB to lose one(possible if unlikely) and to win out to get the 1 seed…but it’s possible.

And if somehow they end up the 2 seed, they at least avoid GB till the NFCG and get Tampa at home in the 2nd round.

I’m not a Cowboys defeatist. I’m a realist. You’re a sunshine pumper. First, at the time Williams was benched, he was not good. I don’t mind the benching and am glad he’s back in the lineup. Second, Tampa may now lose another game now with key people out. But they’ll get Brown back and this was their most difficult game.  Both them and GB losing a game down the road is unlikely. Us winning out is unlikely. Third, you were wrong with your 3-way tiebreak scenarios. The Cowboys cannot possibly win a 3-way tie with those two teams, so we will need both to lose one more. I can’t see it happening. Last, real ballsy to wait until after SNF to finally respond. 

I might be wrong on 3-team tiebreaker. I don’t understand it apparently and might owe Drew an apology. I guess H2H loss to TB doesn’t factor into the 3-team tie with Arizona now because Arizona hasn’t played either team?  I don’t understand how we are 2 now, and how we can get to 1. For purposes of the 1 seed, assume we win out, TB wins out, GB drops one, and we all finish 13-4. 

43 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I might be wrong on 3-team tiebreaker. I don’t understand it apparently and might owe Drew an apology. I guess H2H loss to TB doesn’t factor into the 3-team tie with Arizona now because Arizona hasn’t played either team?  I don’t understand how we are 2 now, and how we can get to 1. For purposes of the 1 seed, assume we win out, TB wins out, GB drops one, and we all finish 13-4. 

It was discussed early in the thread but a 3-way (or 4-way) tie changes the tie breaker rules. In that scenario the 1st tie breaker is conference record of which we currently only have 1 loss to an NFC team whereas pretty much everyone we're competing with has multiple losses in conference. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

40 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Here's the tiebreakers for two- and three-team ties (NFL uses the wild-card tiebreakers to determine the seedings of the division champions). Once a team "wins" the tie-breaker, the remaining teams that are still "tied" go back to Step 1 and start down the list again (or move to the two-team tie-breaker).

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tie-breaking-procedures/

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two wild card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken:

• If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply the division tiebreaker.
  • If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps:

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four
  4. Strength of victory
  5. Strength of schedule
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed
  8. Best net points in conference games
  9. Best net points in all games
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games
  11. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after a third club or other clubs are eliminated, the tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of the applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply the division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep (applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four
  5. Strength of victory
  6. Strength of schedule
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed
  9. Best net points in conference games
  10. Best net points in all games
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games
  12. Coin toss

When the first wild card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second wild card (i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2). In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tiebreaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a wild card berth.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It was discussed early in the thread but a 3-way (or 4-way) tie changes the tie breaker rules. In that scenario the 1st tie breaker is conference record of which we currently only have 1 loss to an NFC team whereas pretty much everyone we're competing with has multiple losses in conference. 

I don’t see how it’s conference record per the below. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Here's the tiebreakers for two- and three-team ties (NFL uses the wild-card tiebreakers to determine the seedings of the division champions). Once a team "wins" the tie-breaker, the remaining teams that are still "tied" go back to Step 1 and start down the list again (or move to the two-team tie-breaker).

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tie-breaking-procedures/

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two wild card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken:

• If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply the division tiebreaker.
  • If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps:

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four
  4. Strength of victory
  5. Strength of schedule
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed
  8. Best net points in conference games
  9. Best net points in all games
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games
  11. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after a third club or other clubs are eliminated, the tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of the applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply the division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep (applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four
  5. Strength of victory
  6. Strength of schedule
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed
  9. Best net points in conference games
  10. Best net points in all games
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games
  12. Coin toss

When the first wild card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second wild card (i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2). In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tiebreaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a wild card berth.

I never read Wild Card tiebreak rules because I thought it wasn’t applicable. Nonetheless I fail to see how we would be ahead of TB in any scenario. 

Edit: I guess the parenthetical in step 2 is my answer?   “(applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others)”

Edited by Porterhouse

Okay, hosting a hurting TB team with our D healthy and a month to study NO-TB game film sounds pretty good right now. The problem is, it requires a GB loss, because we will have beaten Arizona and without GB to prop us up, if both TB and Dallas win out, we end up in 3 seed. It seems right now that the 3 seed is most likely, followed by the 1 seed.  2 seed can’t happen unless TB inexplicably drops another game. So, go Cleveland, Minny and Lions. 

Yeah, a three way tie scenario seems pretty meaningless at this point since we'll be playing the Cards in two weeks. Looks like all  the NFC division leaders are showing flaws. Could be a very interesting playoff. If we can't get the one seed I really don't care about where we land 2-4. It'll be a tough win regardless. Would be nice to get a week's rest though. GB has Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit left. Hard to predict a loss there, but it's a weird year, Minnesota already beat GB once, and the Lions were very unlionlike yesterday.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Just saw that the Boys are the #2 seed after yesterday's games.  They have the same record as the Bucs but lost head/head; how are they seeded above TB?  I thought head to head is the first tie breaker. 

Because it's a three-way tie between the Cowboys, Cardinals and Buccaneers at 10-4. H2H only matters there if one team has beaten both of the other two teams or one team has lost to the other two teams. Two-way ties are settled with H2H first (if there is a matchup between them). That's why as @hornbri said above, the Cowboys do not want to wind up in a two-way tie with the Bucs because we lose that one due to the opening night loss. I blame Ed Sheeran.

If the Cowboys can get the #2 seed it means they'd get two home games before having to go to Lambeau, assuming the Packers stay at #1.

• Like 1