Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

So...... yea.  Reportedly it's a complete tear, which is actually less painful then a partial, but it will bother him all year and we'll have to manage his touches.  Will need surgery in the offseason.  Probably don't want to give him more than 10-12 touches a game and it could flare up bad at any time.  Just a bummer.  Zeke with a bad knee and hasn't looked himself the last 3-4 weeks and now Pollard with a bad tire.  Ugh.  Corey Clement may need to take some snaps.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Well they’re not going up there with the intent to lose.   Comical overreaction by the media.  

For sure lmao. What the hell is a coach supposed to say? 

And Dallas is the better team with more talent. If we have any aspirations to do anything this season/playoffs, this is a game you absolutely win.

We have only one game left where you can say their team is better and that is Arizona. The other 4 games we have left are against NFC East teams. We need to clean up against them, starting this weekend. If we don't, we aren't going to do shit in the end.

15 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Paying running backs has always been dumb. Leveon Bell, Todd Gurley, Christian McCaffrey, Zeke. All terrible 2nd contracts.

Yep.  Should never go more than 6m AAV at this stage.  If they want more, bye.  We'll draft another in the 2/3rd round.

PIcking a RB in the 1st round is also dumb as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Paying running backs has always been dumb. Leveon Bell, Todd Gurley, Christian McCaffrey, Zeke. All terrible 2nd contracts.

I was on board with the draft pick in 2016 and even giving him the 2nd contract but I have since backed off the 2nd contract. It has been terrible. I still stand by the draft pick because how this team was designed and our offensive scheme, we needed a bellcow RB. And it paid dividends right away his rookie year. And I think 2017 goes much differently if the fuckery witch chase from Goodell didn't happen. Losing him was a big dent we could not absorb. And then the following years, the OL started to crumble little by little.

But yeah, this 2nd contract has been terrible. I really doubt we go that route any longer. Be it drafting a RB that high and extending him.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was on board with the draft pick in 2016 and even giving him the 2nd contract but I have since backed off the 2nd contract. It has been terrible. I still stand by the draft pick because how this team was designed and our offensive scheme, we needed a bellcow RB. And it paid dividends right away his rookie year. And I think 2017 goes much differently if the fuckery witch chase from Goodell didn't happen. Losing him was a big dent we could not absorb. And then the following years, the OL started to crumble little by little.

But yeah, this 2nd contract has been terrible. I really doubt we go that route any longer. Be it drafting a RB that high and extending him.

He was drafted for the few last years of Romo's career.  It turns out there were zero years left in Romo's career.  It was a incredibly shortsighted pick.  They lucked into Dak after trying to get Lynch and Cook.  Prescott being good bailed them out of the shortsighted pick.  Extending Zeke made absolutely no sense at all.  At this point though it's all moot because no matter what the did there is zero chance anything was going to be successful under Jason Garrett.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He was drafted for the few last years of Romo's career.  It turns out there were zero years left in Romo's career.  It was a incredibly shortsighted pick.  They lucked into Dak after trying to get Lynch and Cook.  Prescott being good bailed them out of the shortsighted pick.  Extending Zeke made absolutely no sense at all.  At this point though it's all moot because no matter what the did there is zero chance anything was going to be successful under Jason Garrett.

Short sighted is right.  They should have gone with the Ramsey or Stanley or Tunsil, but it is water under the bridge.  Hopefully they'll never make a 1990's pick again.  Speaking of Garrett.

19 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Short sighted is right.  They should have gone with the Ramsey or Stanley or Tunsil, but it is water under the bridge.  Hopefully they'll never make a 1990's pick again.  Speaking of Garrett.

I thought Duke announced a couple days ago they hired the aggy DC as HC

So here's the state of the situation:

3 game lead on with 4 to play over the Football Team and Philly. Football Team and Philly play each other twice, Cowboys once, and Giants once. Win this next game against the Giants and beat Football Team at home and division is locked. Probably all but locked after beating Giants. 

McCarthy has to do two things. Keep this defense rolling while getting the offense back to at least above average by the playoffs. That means getting the OL right and Dak's mentals back in shape without their best running back and their 16 mil a year running back being hurt and shitty. 

To me this is the time Dak needs to live up to his position. Part of demanding then signing the line on $40 mil per year, which limits the quality of veteran talent that can be put around him, is taking full responsibility for the offensive production. Once he signed on the line it's all on him to raise his game, overcome nagging pain, and lead offensive performances commiserate with elite QB pay.

He became mentally wrecked a couple of years ago after the Atlanta Chaz Green game and it wasn't until the next year he was able to overcome it. This season he needs to overcome it within 4 more games. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

He became mentally wrecked a couple of years ago after the Atlanta Chaz Green game and it wasn't until the next year he was able to overcome it. This season he needs to overcome it within 4 more games. 

yeah, well, that uh would be ideal but it’s too bad he’s an overrated pussy who fucking sucks. 

25 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Need pollard back. Who feels that Zek gets the ball because of contract? He sucks.

Pollard will be compromised and gimpy the rest of the season.  He could look normal and then aggravate the injury at any time.  They probably need to rest Zeke in week 18 for the playoffs.  He may have a chance of getting close to healthy. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Pollard will be compromised and gimpy the rest of the season.  He could look normal and then aggravate the injury at any time.  They probably need to rest Zeke in week 18 for the playoffs.  He may have a chance of getting close to healthy. 

Would you sit zeke the final 3 games if they beat the Giants? Right now he's replacement level with the ball in his hands. Maybe a few weeks off and he could be of some use in the playoffs outside of picking up blitzes (which he hasn't done much recently since teams figured out Dak is worse against coverage than blitzes).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, DougO said:

Zeke today, 12 carries for 45 yards.

Corey Clement, 13 carries for 44 yards.

Totally worth the price difference.

Zeke is not right and has not been for some months now. Pollard needs to get back soon and find someone to pair him with. Zeke gives us zero. Even picking up very short gains is a painfully hard. Clement seemed to have more burst and ran with more of a purpose. 

I think they should sit Zeke as much as possible to get him healthy for the playoffs. He doesn’t look good because he’s hurt, not because he sucks. Early in the year when he wasn’t hurt he was slim and looking great…
We’re lucky we play in such a shitty division, gives us 3/4 final games are relatively easy wins.

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I'd pay AD  $750k and see if he can be better than Clement.  Let Zeke and Pollard sit for a bit and get better.  

Ewww.  Think I'd rather check on Gurley to see if there's anything left but don't know if his heart is in it. I do think we should be turning over every rock for RB depth.  Look at Tennessee or Baltimore.  Starting dudes not with them at the beginning of the season.  There are dudes out there.  Clement is okay as a 3rd RB but if he's forced to be the guy, we're in a world of hurt.

5 hours ago, Matuka said:

Isn't he with the Seahawks?

On the PS.  We could sign him off but would have guarantee the rest of his salary for the year.

So, this isn't good..... I'm going to guess he'll sit another 2-3 weeks.

Smh.  Has never left the building.

This is good, but again, he's just not going to really shake this in the next couple of months.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know how unfortunate Smith has been considering it is becoming the norm for him to miss some games. Seems about par. Get him healthy for playoffs.

It's just the Giants, but still a conference game, probably one of those ugly games that are closer than expected. Dallas really needs some tackle depth. I hope they address that properly in the offseason. Dallas still has a chance to move up in seeding if they can win these ugly games and have a great game against Arizona.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I don't know how unfortunate Smith has been considering it is becoming the norm for him to miss some games. Seems about par. Get him healthy for playoffs.

It's just the Giants, but still a conference game, probably one of those ugly games that are closer than expected. Dallas really needs some tackle depth. I hope they address that properly in the offseason. Dallas still has a chance to move up in seeding if they can win these ugly games and have a great game against Arizona.

I agree.  Need to draft the LT of the future..... or of the current, but we can't rely on Tyron's health anymore.  I also don't understand what we're doing with the OL overall.  McGovern hasn't been good at LG, so not sure why he's still in there.  We fucked around with Steele too much with La'el splitting time.  I'd like to just play the 5 best and the rest some snaps as we go along.  It looks like Biadasz has come along this year and may end up being a pretty good center by next year.  If we let Conner walk next year and draft a LT, the best alignment may be flipping Zack to LG to help a rookie and let McGovern play his better position.  Need more talent on the line, but every team can say that.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, DougO said:

It sure seems unfortunate to me that the fat fucks next to him keep landing precisely on the same ankle that's been giving him problems. Maybe there's something he's doing wrong, I have no idea on the nuances of how to play OL, but it sure seems to me to be bad luck in this particular circumstance. He's had other injuries that seem to just be a thing, but this one seems to be just really shitty luck.

31 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Feel like Packers/Bucs being the #1 and #2 seeds pretty much means curtains for the rest of the NFC.

Packers and Bucs are both 6-0 at home.

Pretty sure a team would have to beat both the Packers and Bucs on the road in back to back weeks. Not happening. 

Pretty much. I think it will be a rematch of last season's NFC title game. I do not buy into Arizona at all. And would actually love them to actually get the 1 seed for the fact that a trip there is not daunting like going to Tampa or GB. 

I think Dallas once again is a wild card win ceiling. And after that, fizzle out in the next round. Might be a close game but we won't have enough to win. A lot can change with a quarter left of the season but I don't see this offense getting back on track. They peaked in the NE win. That is when Dak got hurt. OL then had to start shuffling around. Run game his dissolved. Dak is still being bothered by the calf injury and I think he is being hesitant on some throws. Zeke is not even close to being right. Pollard is now banged up. Tyron and his usual injuries. Martin went down and came back in but who knows what will come of that.

Brady/Rodgers can overcome a lot more than any other QB in the NFC right now. They are going to easily be the 2 best QBs in the playoffs on our side. 

39 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Feel like Packers/Bucs being the #1 and #2 seeds pretty much means curtains for the rest of the NFC.

Packers and Bucs are both 6-0 at home.

Pretty sure a team would have to beat both the Packers and Bucs on the road in back to back weeks. Not happening. 

This is why traditionally the games are never played and why the Giants didn’t win two Super Bowls

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

If Arizona team had been the #1 seed you could squint and imagine another NFC teams path to glory. Arizona is vulnerable at home and half the crowd would be fans of the other team. 

Bucs and Packers haven't lost yet on their home field. Sure maybe you beat one of them one week but then you gotta turn around and probably play another team with a HOF QB that's been perfect at home all season.