Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, markstanco said:

J Gilligans bar and grill has a service, or at least they used to.  Irish nachos and a few beers then drink $9 miller Lites at the game!

Yep this is the way to go if it's still around. Great place to grab some food and drinks and it is pretty close. They constantly run shuttles back and forth so it's easy to get there and back. Believe they pick up after the game up to a few hours after it ends.

• Hook 'Em 1

We had Uber drop us off at Texas Live. Website says they open at 10 but at 940 we showed up and they were already open. Not jam packed, got a seat at the bar at one of the restaurants and got some food and drinks before the $12 beers of Jerryworld. Easy walk to the stadium from there.

Made our way over to JGilligan's after the game. 

The game sucked. Fucking Broncos fans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/13/2021 at 9:53 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

I remember when he was coming out, one of our Baylor fans was really pimping Billings as a 2/3rd rounder for Dallas.  He was pretty good in college, but pro's?  Not so much.

we took maliek collins in the 3rd with billings still on the board. I remember listening to it on the radio. I hadn’t heard of collins and wanted billings but we ended up ok on that deal. 

Thanks, @Vic Mackey and @markstanco. Parking at J Giligan's really worked out. Their breakfast tacos sucked but the beer was good, and the shuttle was amazing. 

My first Cowboys game ever was a lot of fun. Of course, the place is amazing, but I was struck how different a pro crowd is from a college crowd. Honestly, it was a bit of freak show, but a really fun and pretty tame freak show, so it was all good.

The legacy cheerleaders performed at halftime, which was a plus.

Afterwards, we ate at Twisted Root Burger Co. next to UTA. Not bad.     

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

SIAP, but any chance Gallimore or Lawrence come back this week?  Or is after Thanksgiving more realistic?

Gallimore is closer than Lawrence.  Lawrence is more likely to come back 2 games after Thanksgiving since we'll have a 10 break from b2b Thursday games.   

I wanted Patrick Surtain II so I'm guilty. Thought he had a higher floor, actually played football in 2020, had NFL bloodlines, and corner was more valuable than an off ball linebacker. 

Surtain can still evolve into a special DB but any team in the league would take Parsons at this point. And Surtain was off the board or else Dallas would have taken him too. Seemed really bad luck at the time Horn/Surtain went 8th and 9th. Ended up being a blessing in disguise. 

Tyron Smith's injury concerns had me thinking OL as well several months back. 

Edited by Loch Ness Monster
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

I don’t remember complaining much about the Parsons pick but that was mainly because I wasn’t super impressed with anybody in that draft class. I felt the Parsons pick was necessary though given our poor LB depth. 

My beef with the pick was how badly we handled the LB position over the years. Using 2nd round pick in 2016 and a 1st round in 2018 and just years later, having to draft one of their replacements with a 1st round pick. 

Bills would obviously be lower if they were in the NFC. 

24 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

My beef with the pick was how badly we handled the LB position over the years. Using 2nd round pick in 2016 and a 1st round in 2018 and just years later, having to draft one of their replacements with a 1st round pick. 

See the Cardinals after using a top 10 pick on Josh Rosen. Very next year they take Kyler Murray. Turns out to be the right move.

Admit the mistake and move forward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

And that’s fair. I didn’t hate the pick but I didn’t love it either. If any position I wanted addressed first it was either OL or DB. But nobody at those positions blew me away to trade up for.

• Hook 'Em 1

They didn't necessarily draft him because they had to draft a linebacker. They drafted him because he was clearly the best player on the board by far over any other positional target they may have had.

But yeah, if anyone didn't think they needed to replace a linebacker or two or three, they haven't been watching.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Bills would obviously be lower if they were in the NFC. 

See the Cardinals after using a top 10 pick on Josh Rosen. Very next year they take Kyler Murray. Turns out to be the right move.

Admit the mistake and move forward.

That's true. It just became frustrating watching all our wasted top picks in the last years with Taco, Jaylon, LVE

21 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Guy’s college tape looked like jaylon smith to me except without the injury. And I too really wanted surtain. He’s really good too. But man, Micah is making a difference on this d.

Thing is Jaylon Smith could still be a pretty decent NFL interior linebacker if he had game smarts. He showed zero ability to be a cerebral learner and improve his read of the game in 5 years. Even without the foot injury he would have been a disappointment in the NFL because he cannot learn how to play the position the right way. 

6 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I wanted Patrick Surtain II so I'm guilty. Thought he had a higher floor, actually played football in 2020, had NFL bloodlines, and corner was more valuable than an off ball linebacker. 

Surtain can still evolve into a special DB but any team in the league would take Parsons at this point. And Surtain was off the board or else Dallas would have taken him too. Seemed really bad luck at the time Horn/Surtain went 8th and 9th. Ended up being a blessing in disguise. 

Tyron Smith's injury concerns had me thinking OL as well several months back. 

how has horn played this year? I know surtain has been pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

To be fair LVE has somewhat been derailed by injuries, that pick is not like the others.

The issue was his back/neck injury was known before coming out and he was taken off the board by a few teams.  Our draft medical staff either sucks or our draft team doesn't care about the risk.

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Vander Esch has his limitations, but doesn’t belong on any list that contains Taco or Jaylon. 

I do agree.  Taco is an all-time terrible pick, especially in the context of JJ Watt being there, but LVE is still a bad pick overall especially if he doesn't give any value on a 2nd contract.  Marinelli killed us in drafting defense with him putting his own needs in front of talent.  Sort of interesting our defensive drafting (and it's still early) looks to be much better without him around -- Diggs, Parsons, Osa, Cox, etc.

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The issue was his back/neck injury was known before coming out and he was taken off the board by a few teams.  Our draft medical staff either sucks or our draft team doesn't care about the risk.

I’m pretty sure the neck issue led to the missed games in 2019, last year was unrelated to it. I guess you could make the argument that it has led to production declines, but he is still playing well just not at his 2018/2019 pace. That draft has hardly anyone that has played at a Pro Bowl level after that pick and very few second contracts at this point.