Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I don't see Kellen as the uber genius he's being made out to be. He has a shit-ton of talent to work with that makes him look great. He makes some pretty silly calls, sure he does some creative stuff too that sometimes works. Not always.

When some shitty team throws a boatload of money at him I will enjoy seeing him prove himself. But he's not irreplaceable.

Edited by DougO

3 hours ago, DougO said:

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I don't see Kellen as the uber genius he's being made out to be. He has a shit-ton of talent to work with that makes him look great. He makes some pretty silly calls, sure he does some creative stuff too that sometimes works. Not always.

When some shitty team throws a boatload of money at him I will enjoy seeing him prove himself. But he's not irreplaceable.

Uhm..... You do know who the current HC is, right?  I mean what was McCarthy but a Holmgren insider who got his first HC job after coordinating an offense that was 30th in points and 32nd in yardage.  He road the coattails of maybe the greatest QB in NFL history to 1 SB win.  He's bad a strategy, bad at clock management, bad with his timeouts.  Moore may end up sucking like you seem to think, but McCarthy does suck.  We simply have a very good QB in his prime, good WRs with enough OL healthy, young front 7 and last place schedule to have a good start.  Plenty of time for McCarthy to get in the way..... he's already tried about 4-5 times this season. 

McCarthy is a bloated system guy who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. I said that when when he was hired. Talent has to win despite him, which is why had only one Superbowl win with an elite QB and he had for years with plenty of support.

I didn't say Moore is going to end up sucking. I just find it amusing how people see only the successful calls and block out the retarded ones. He's a hot coach like a lot of others. Some end staying hot, then cold, then kinda hot again. It depends a lot on the talent they have to work with. Just like McCarthy winning a lot of games in Green Bay and now this year in Dallas. As you agreed, it doesn't make him a great coach, either. He just hasn't done quite enough to fuck it up...yet.

Back up the truck for Moore and you'll buy huge expectations for your money. Nothing else is guaranteed.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:57 AM, Hate said:

Yeah, I haven't felt this in many many years.  Relying on the Cowboys to rescue my football weekend?  Are you kidding me?  This team is very likeable and fun to cheer for.  I still think McCarthy is going to mismanage the clock in the 4th so badly that the players can't bail him out, but I'm going to enjoy the ride until it happens. 

this team is 7-0 with Mike White. I think that was made pretty obvious on Sunday. 

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

J Gilligan’s is great. (Get the Irish Nachos.) Did this for U2 a few years ago.

Thanks for the JGilligans recs. Looks like that Miller Litehouse outside the stadium opens at 10am and is free entry with a ticket so we'll probably just check that out. Unless somehow we're down there before 10am. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Of course nothing was done about this. Let's see if anything happens at all. Oh but Lamb will be fined for an untucked shirt and waving. Yet the guy who blatantly shoved him well after the play/game ended got nothing at all in NE. I have no idea how Jerry just allows this shit to happen.

17 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Just came here to post that. Let’s get another one loss nfc team to 2 losses and keep our train rolling 

KC seems broken this year. They struggled to beat Daniel Jones at home. And it wasn't the defense this week. Their offense was bad. Teams know how to defend them. Take away Kelce and Tyreek and make Mahomes a checkdown charlie. If this was KC of the last few years, this would be an easy win for them. 

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

KC seems broken this year. They struggled to beat Daniel Jones at home. And it wasn't the defense this week. Their offense was bad. Teams know how to defend them. Take away Kelce and Tyreek and make Mahomes a checkdown charlie. If this was KC of the last few years, this would be an easy win for them. 

No question. If Rodgers plays in this game I think GB sleepwalks to a victory. Without him, I think KC wins. That’s really what I was trying to say. But I agree. I think teams look at KC like they’re beatable and I think KC knows they’re beatable and they don’t have that same invincibility confidence 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Andy Reid's stamp on the team finally taking shape. I always said he'll find a way to fuck it up. Mahomes seems somewhat confused. He has athletic moves by Tyreek Hill and not even as much of Kelce being consistently open while tripled teamed any more. A legit running game and some semblance of defense would help a lot...you know, fundamental football stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Mike McCarthy's career HC resume is very similar to Sean Payton's. I think that Payton is the better coach, but I also think it's a lot closer than some of y'all are making it out to be.

It's actually quite a bit better than Sean Payton's if you're into the appearances game  

35 minutes ago, DougO said:

Andy Reid's stamp on the team finally taking shape. I always said he'll find a way to fuck it up. Mahomes seems somewhat confused. He has athletic moves by Tyreek Hill and not even as much of Kelce being consistently open while tripled teamed any more. A legit running game and some semblance of defense would help a lot...you know, fundamental football stuff.

Somewhat Andy Reid, but a lot on Mr Untouchable, Patty McChuck himself.  Teams are playing a shell defense on pretty much every down.  They're saying that Tyreke is not beating them over the top, and they are forcing Mahomes to complete prolonged drives down the field by taking what's available .  Pat's never been able to do that.  He's too impatient to take what's there and march it down the field.  I remember in '14 being at the Baylor/Tech game @ JerruhWerldPeace watching Patty throw for 598 yards and 6TD's in a loss.   Tech could and should have won that game if Patty had taken a few sure things rather than rolling the dice and betting on boxcars   

McCarthy may have terrible clock management issues but as acoach he's done the unthinkable. He's insulated the team from the Jones family's soft ass "money first" loser culture and has instilled accountability. His buddy the DC sucks ass last year? Gone. Jaylon Smith not pulling his weight and embodying that Jones soft culture? Gone. Collins fucks the team over with stupidity? Benched. Anae makes a major fuck up? Gone. 

This team isnt soft and isnt worried about business and money over winning and thats all due to McCarthy. He deserves a ton of credit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Cost was a 2nd/3rd next April, though. Pretty steep if you ask me.

I tend to agree with this.  If Randy Gregory doesn't go Randy Gregory and DLaw doesn't get hurt(which could happen to Miller also), I think the picks are more valuable vs. the risk of the other 2 things happening.

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Apparently Rodgers lied to the League Office about being vaccinated.  He wasn't, but said he was.

Apparently he said he was 'immunized' to the team.  He supposedly had had COVID and told them he was immunized.  That's not necessarily apparent either.   He don't give a shit.  

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Apparently he said he was 'immunized' to the team.  He supposedly had had COVID and told them he was immunized.  That's not necessarily apparent either.   He don't give a shit.  

What the fuck are they using, the honor system? How do you not have to prove it? Lmao

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Apparently Rodgers lied to the League Office about being vaccinated.  He wasn't, but said he was.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

He's a selfish prick. Always has been. Always will be. Color me shocked he wasn't vaxxed already.

I mean I think it's insane that my vaccination proof wasn't entered into any kind of national database. I have a card, which can be acquired through nefarious means. I'm pretty sure if I misplace said card it will be a monumental PITA to get proof that I was vaxxed back in Feb/March.

This Rodgers story is hilarious. Apparently his actress fiance is a nutter who eats clay because some random cab driver told her pregnant women on his home country eat clay and makes her own home made "medicine".

No wonder Rodgers now looks like he's 55 he's being poisoned by his dumb bitch

https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/11/03/social-media-is-blaming-aaron-rodgers-girlfriend-shailene-woodley-for-his-unvaccinated-status-tweets/

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Mike McCarthy's career HC resume is very similar to Sean Payton's. I think that Payton is the better coach, but I also think it's a lot closer than some of y'all are making it out to be.

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's actually quite a bit better than Sean Payton's if you're into the appearances game  

I think Sean Payton gets credit for turning Brees into the qb he became, and there’s a little truth to that. He was good on the Chargers. He was great with the saints. McCarthy, right or wrong, gets absolutely no credit for turning Rodgers into the player he became. In part because Rodgers doesn’t give him any of that credit. I think from a personality standpoint, Dak and McCarthy are a better mix, but Kellen is what makes this thing special. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think Sean Payton gets credit for turning Brees into the qb he became, and there’s a little truth to that. He was good on the Chargers. He was great with the saints. McCarthy, right or wrong, gets absolutely no credit for turning Rodgers into the player he became. In part because Rodgers doesn’t give him any of that credit. I think from a personality standpoint, Dak and McCarthy are a better mix, but Kellen is what makes this thing special. 

McCarthy built his rep on Favre.  He was Favre's QB coach when he had one of his better years.  He then went and worked for the Haslett Saints teams led by Aaron Brooks, Joe Horn, Deuce McAlister, and in the first couple of years..... our own Ricky.  They had good offenses mostly although at the end, more mediocre.  Then as stated earlier, one year with the Niners. who arguably had the worst offense in the league.  Despite this, he got the HC job in GB mainly because Favre liked him from their year together and they were trying to win one more with Brett.  Rodgers came on after a couple of years.  

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

For those erroneously giving Coach Thumb props for all this accountability!!!!  

Also, IMO, Thumb had little to nothing to do with Jaylon's situation and eventual release.  At least he didn't stand in the way, but have a feeling Quinn was like..... "yea, go ahead, this guy can't play".

It doesn't make a fuck what coach speak he uses to say he did it, it was what needed to be done. And if you think a fringe roster player jumping offsides on a crucial play had nothing to with getting demoted to practice squad, i have a bridge to sell you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

He's a selfish prick. Always has been. Always will be. Color me shocked he wasn't vaxxed already.

I mean I think it's insane that my vaccination proof wasn't entered into any kind of national database. I have a card, which can be acquired through nefarious means. I'm pretty sure if I misplace said card it will be a monumental PITA to get proof that I was vaxxed back in Feb/March.

Nah, wherever jabbed you can fix a new card rapidly.  The pharmacy where I used to work has to enter the info into FIVE different databases, including the CDC.  Accessing the info without HIPAA clearance is another matter……….

17 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

And the funny thing about McCarthy's work with Rodgers is I distinctly remember when McCarthy first got to Green Bay there was a lot of talk and reporting on how McCarthy and the Green Bay staff changed Rodgers' throwing motion which greatly improved his velocity and accuracy. Rodgers came from Jeff Tedford's, old school style of preloading your arm before throwing it. Anyone who played or watched high school football during the 80s and early 90s will remember how high school QBs back then would start their throwing motion with the football next to their earhole when dropping back to throw. McCarthy and staff changed this method with Aaron Rodgers. An example is discussed below:

There was plenty of reporting on this when Rodgers was backing up Farve before everyone knew how good he was going to be. Now that Rodgers has had his falling out with McCarthy it's all but forgotten.

Coach Mike McCarthy arrived in Rodgers’s second season, and he recognized the talent that spent Sundays holding clipboards. Since 1993, McCarthy has charted quarterbacks in five footwork drills that rate agility and movement. In his three backup seasons, Rodgers improved most in those areas, McCarthy said, to where he now ranks “at the top of all of them.”

In what McCarthy calls his Quarterback School, Rodgers concentrated on tuning his fine motor skills: hand-eye coordination, finger dexterity, mechanics. He also lowered where he held the ball for a smoother, more consistent motion.

By the end of Rodgers’s second year, McCarthy and Thompson saw him as a starter who happened not to start. With his quarterback coach, Tom Clements, Rodgers studied every play from the Packers’ previous season. He also took the spring practice repetitions when Favre stayed home in Mississippi.

Between Rodgers’s second and third seasons, Quarterback School consisted of 10 hours in the film room and 3 hours on the practice field a week, an offensive study conducted in “painstaking detail,” Clements said.

Eventually, Rodgers focused less on learning the Packers’ offense and more on clarifying why defenses ran certain coverages, schemes or fronts. Now, when Rodgers drops back to pass, he does not look for his receivers. He looks for defenders, where they are, where they might move, what that means or could mean. Then he throws for receivers headed toward open space.

The way he practiced behind Favre also earned Rodgers the respect of teammates. While Favre retired and unretired and eventually left for the Jets in 2008, Rodgers and Clements studied every pass Tom Brady threw in his record-setting 2007 season. Rodgers took note of how Brady “controlled the defense with his eyes” on nearly every completed pass.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/sports/football/the-education-of-the-packers-aaron-rodgers.html

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Nah, wherever jabbed you can fix a new card rapidly.  The pharmacy where I used to work has to enter the info into FIVE different databases, including the CDC.  Accessing the info without HIPAA clearance is another matter……….

It would not be easy for me, I don't think. A close friend of my wife works for a hospice company and she got us hooked up through a senior living center in Haltom City that she contracted with. CVS came out and did all the residents and we were able to get in when the director of the center told wife's friend she could ask some close friends/family if we wanted to get it done because they had way too much vaccine on their hands.

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

It doesn't make a fuck what coach speak he uses to say he did it, it was what needed to be done. And if you think a fringe roster player jumping offsides on a crucial play had nothing to with getting demoted to practice squad, i have a bridge to sell you.

Ah yes, who doesn't remember Jimmy re-signing Curvin' the next training camp?  lol.  If you think this was a Jimmy moment of accountability, I got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.....

The whole point with Jimmy was he cut Curvin knowing we'd be short on a roster spot going into the playoffs, so there was some actual sacrifice to his principles.

Jimmy was happy to fuck with Curvin Richards, Sleepy John Roper and the kicker who couldn’t find the asthma field, but never noticed Irvin and Erik and the rest of the Fun Bunch running a whorehouse/crack den at the White House. Funny how that happens. As others have pointed out, his discipline was situational. (I’m not arguing with anyone or disputing any takes, just noting Johnson was the ultimate bottom line guy.)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Jimmy was happy to fuck with Curvin Richards, Sleepy John Roper and the kicker who couldn’t find the asthma field, but never noticed Irvin and Erik and the rest of the Fun Bunch running a whorehouse/crack den at the White House. Funny how that happens. As others have pointed out, his discipline was situational. (I’m not arguing with anyone or disputing any takes, just noting Johnson was the ultimate bottom line guy.)

Irvin & Erik also put worked everyone else on the practice field and it showed on Sundays.   

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Irvin & Erik also put worked everyone else on the practice field and it showed on Sundays.   

I probably attended 70-80 Cowboys practices during the careers of Williams and Irvin, and though I can’t recall anything extraordinary about Williams (other than mauling people, which was his default), I agree Michael Irvin was probably the hardest worker on the team. He would often run sprints after practice to the point of puking. That fucker was always all business on the field. 

A bonus note from the old days: Steve Walsh had perhaps the weakest arm of anyone who ever went thru camp. When he first arrived (and it was a shitstorm and a sensation, all rolled into one) just about everyone, players, media… couldn’t believe this guy was supposed to be special. How Jimmy ever hoodwinked the Saints into that deal, I’ll never know. Aikman must have been both pissed off and greatly amused. How ironic Walsh led the team to it’s only win.