Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

C'mon, it was funny and good use of the meme.

I don't know about the meme but the sentiment has been going around for a couple weeks now at least.

I tried listening to the "andy staples podcast" earlier this season on which wasserman is a cohost -- he's one dim bitch.

8 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Who do we call after one of those guys doesn't win the 1st year?

None. You hire a proven coach with a long track record of success and watch him go. Even if he doesn't win immediately you'll see improvement across the board, and you keep faith because you trust in his abilities to get the job done.

The Kansas loss destroys the argument that the players are the main problem. It's the coaching. 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you think he needs to be fired and you're off the wagon you're just gonna have to wait. It's just not happening this year, even if we all have that consensus.

For me it's just pure disappointment. Never did i imagine such a disaster, even under worst case scenario. This program is truly rotten. Who would even wanna come coach here now? We're getting to the point where this isn't even a desirable job anymore.

The only ones off the wagon are the ones who still think it's our roster after we lost to Kansas. That argument isn't credible at this point. It's the coaching.

We saw this with Strong. He inherited a middle-of-the-road team and made it terrible. Some people blamed the roster and culture then, too, and defended Strong for the better part of 3 years. When we finally fired that lump and hired Herman, we saw immediate improvement and won four straight bowl games.
We fired Herman and hired Sarkisian thinking he could improve, and we're right back in Strong territory.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

None. You hire a proven coach with a long track record of success and watch him go.

Can you direct me to the tree where these guys grow? 

The Aggies did that with Jimbo Fisher. The results are about the same as they had with Sumlin. He has two stellar assistant coaches in his OL coach and DC.

Sark is generating points and opportunities for scoring with the offense.

I'd rather have Meyer or Saban, but we couldn't make that happen.

The season is an unprecedented disaster in my experience of being a Longhorn. Our only "choice" is to see how Sarkisian addresses it in the next year.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mr.kansas said:

Bahahahahahahaha. Rock chalk, Jayhawk. Texas is back folks.........bahahahahahahaha. Then Gonzaga decided smack around your basketball team like a 2 dollar whore. https://www.istexasbackyet.com

mr.Kansas has an idea. You all should be a woman’s crochet school. You might be successful at those competitions.

Imagine thinking talking trash about Texas is an insult

2 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

None. You hire a proven coach with a long track record of success and watch him go. Even if he doesn't win immediately you'll see improvement across the board, and you keep faith because you trust in his abilities to get the job done.

The Kansas loss destroys the argument that the players are the main problem. It's the coaching. 

it's not the coaching. i mean, this season it is, and last season it was, and on and on.

but it's really the process of how texas hires football coaches. the dallas cowboys have one jerry jones who fucks everything up. we have multiple cadres of jerry joneses who are constantly trying to one up each other in a coaching search, and it appears to me that any established coach with real bona fides figures that shit out tout suite.

it's the alumni, stupid. (not you, disco, stupid, but all of us stupid)

our coaching searches are nothing like a centralized hiring process where the actual boss has a say. first it's dallas alumni, then it's houston annointing herman, then it's kevin fucking eltife dictating to the athletic director who he has got to hire. 

they are the same three resumes! yet we expect different results.

we need to stop with the "we're the joneses" crap. we need to hire an up and comer for $1 million a year and a highly incentivized contract, and give him time. instead our rich alumni jump on the newest shiny object without realizing that they have completely fucked our program with massive guaranteed contracts and outsized expectations that tie us down. you pay a head coach $5 million, you expect results. sure, pay nick saban or some other established head coach a ridiculous sum of money, but there's not a reason in hell that we should've paid charlie, tom, or steve that much until they fucking won something here.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?
1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

it's not the coaching. i mean, this season it is, and last season it was, and on and on.

but it's really the process of how texas hires football coaches. the dallas cowboys have one jerry jones who fucks everything up. we have multiple cadres of jerry joneses who are constantly trying to one up each other in a coaching search, and it appears to me that any established coach with real bona fides figures that shit out tout suite.

it's the alumni, stupid. (not you, disco, stupid, but all of us stupid)

our coaching searches are nothing like a centralized hiring process where the actual boss has a say. first it's dallas alumni, then it's houston annointing herman, then it's kevin fucking eltife dictating to the athletic director who he has got to hire. 

they are the same three resumes! yet we expect different results.

we need to stop with the "we're the joneses" crap. we need to hire an up and comer for $1 million a year and a highly incentivized contract, and give him time. instead our rich alumni jump on the newest shiny object without realizing that they have completely fucked our program with massive guaranteed contracts and outsized expectations that tie us down. you pay a head coach $5 million, you expect results. sure, pay nick saban or some other established head coach a ridiculous sum of money, but there's not a reason in hell that we should've paid charlie, tom, or steve that much until they fucking won something here.

The problem is that time factor. It's not like a guy like Sark can't succeed or is a bad coach. It's that when things go terrible during his first season with a broken roster of entitled babies people want to run him off. 

There's a reason guys like Traylor, Sonny Dykes, Patterson, Clawson up at Wake Forest, and tons of other like them can build solid programs at low level shit football schools. They aren't being micromanaged and having every little thing scrutinized during their building process when things are bad. 

I wish all those Jerry Jones' and everyone in the AD would just get it in their heads this is a multi year difficult rebuild for a broken program. It isn't win now. It's the 2002 Dallas Cowboys with little real talent and loser mentality/culture.

I wish they would just come out and say "obviously this program is broken with a broken culture and tons of changes to the personnel and way of doing things are necessary. We believe in this staff to get it done but it will take time and consistency. We are committed to giving this staff that time."

We've tried burning 2 straight staffs down when it didn't win big after 3-4 seasons each and we're worse now than at the beginning of it. Let's try the opposite for a change. 

I don’t expect many in here to recognize the song. But the song that’s played for the starters intro is this song

https://youtu.be/8NbCKyWcsCw

it’s the intro for a show called Legendary on HBO, which is a great show. But the song choice had my husband and I laughing. Maybe it’s appropriate for our program  

put this in recruiting chat, but seems more appropriate here

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-football-Kirk-Herbstreit-opens-up-on-Steve-Sarkisian-175436914/

Charlie Strong told me, when he was the head coach at Texas, he wasn't fired yet,” Herbstreit said. “He just got there, was getting a lot of heat. He said, 'this is a tough job because on one hand, they want me to recruit a lot of these five-stars in this state, but I don't think they're great players. But there's such immense pressure to recruit this player out of this area or this player because they're five stars. And if you don't recruit those players, they're going to crush you because you didn't land that recruit. And if you do bring them in, you're deep down I don't know if this guy is a dog.' ... Sark knew this before he went. In fact, he and I had a conversation when his name was in there. I called him and I said, 'are you going to take this?' He said, 'yeah I think I'm gonna.' And I said, 'you know the deal there right.' He goes 'oh yeah, before I even commit, I'm going to talk to them about how I’m going to have to do this. It’s going to be really hard to do this the right way. And as long as you’re going to support me through this, we’re going to do this. It’s not going to be pretty.

“In order to change the culture there that has been struggling since 2010, even the last couple of years with Mack (Brown). Something got into this program that’s like a virus, and it’s permeated itself for over a decade now. So to get it done right, you can’t put a Band-Aid on this problem and a Band-Aid over there and expect it to be ‘look we’re 8-4, everything’s fine over here.’ Nope. It’s almost like a decayed tooth. You gotta really go to work on that thing.”

• Hook 'Em 1

The Insider from Chip. And yes, he literally spent half this article blowing Casey Thompson....

Sophomore receiver Jordan Whittington, who had surgery to repair a broken clavicle suffered in the fourth quarter of UT’s game against Oklahoma on Oct. 9, is practicing this week and, right now, the plan is for him to take the field at West Virginia this Saturday at 11 am CT (on ESPN2).

Getting Whittington back just more than a month since suffering the injury is huge for Texas … as long as there isn’t a setback.

I don’t need to break down how thin Texas has been at receiver and how valuable Whittington has been on third down this season.

Texas board of regents chairman Kevin Eltife attended football practice Wednesday to see Steve Sarkisian and the coaching staff and lend them his support and encouragement.

Steve Sarkisian said Monday there could be as many as 33 new players on the Longhorns’ roster next season.

Talk about a complete rebuild - unless all the new talent can ball like Sarkisian’s top recruit of 2021 - freshman receiver Xavier Worthy.

Texas currently has 20 seniors listed on its roster. At least six of those seniors - DeMarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison, Ryan Bujcevski, Anthony Cook, Josh Thompson and Cameron Dicker - could use their COVID-19 redshirt to return next season if the coaches want them to return and if the players want to return.

We’re hearing the coaches would like for Overshown, Jamison, Thompson and Cook to return. But, as of right now it’s unclear what those players will do.

Where things get interesting is on special teams. While Bujcevski is likely to move on, Dicker is seriously considering coming back for the 2022 season, because he’s closing in on several big school records, including the most points scored in a career, according to a source close to the situation.

Right now, Dicker has scored 371 points in his UT career, which trails only running backs Ricky Williams (452, 1995-98) and Cedric Benson (404, 2001-04). Dicker has scored 73 points this season on 9-of-11 field goal attempts and 46-of-46 points after touchdowns. And this has been a light year for Dicker in terms of field goal attempts. He was 18-of-25 as a freshman in 2018; 14-of-18 in 2019; and 15-of-21 in 2020.

The problem is Texas already has a scholarship tied up in punter Isaac Pearson, who is currently listed as Dicker’s backup at punter. And Texas has a commitment from three-star kicker Will Stone of Austin Regents. Two scholarships tied up between kickers/punters is considered a lot - let alone three scholarships.

“Right now, I think it’s 70-30 that Dicker wants to come back for another year,” a source said. “We’ll see what the coaches want.”

Obviously, there would have to be a whole lot of players run off … er … who decide to move on from the program to make room for 33 new players.

And that process has begun, we’re told.

I mentioned being surprised not to see sophomore offensive lineman Tyler Johnson as part of the travel squad to Iowa State a couple weeks ago.

As I’ve stated previously, Tom Herman’s staff placed a high priority on getting Johnson developed as a starter for the 2021 season - even starting Johnson at right guard in last season’s Alamo Bowl victory over Colorado - a game in which Johnson graded out pretty well.

Johnson, however, hasn’t been practicing or traveling with the team for the past three weeks, a source told Horns247. Depending on who you talk to, Johnson is either suspended from the team or simply done with football at Texas (or both), although his name hasn’t surfaced yet in the transfer portal.

Johnson never exhibited the urgency and intensity offensive coordinator Kyle Flood was looking for, according to a source.

Another team source said Johnson, a four-star recruit in UT’s 2019 class, was content to be a part of the team and wear the UT gear around campus and down on Sixth Street, but “had other interests and just lacked the want-to to be great. Had the physical tools. Just didn’t want it badly enough.”

Johnson was the No. 58 prospect nationally; No. 9 in Texas and the No. 8 offensive tackle in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports composite ranking.

Senior receiver Montrell Estell is also no longer with the team, a source told Horns247.

Estell played in 27 games as a defensive back, including two starts in 2019 against Oklahoma State and TCU, before switching to receiver for the 2021 season.

On Monday, Sarkisian said there’ll be a priority on bringing in top offensive and defensive linemen as part of his roster overhaul.

“This is still an in-the-trenches game,” Sarkisian said. “And when you can win the line of scrimmage, you bolster your chances of winning football games, and I think we’re doing a heck of a job recruiting that.

“If we can keep the guys here that are good players for us, which is the plan, they’re more mature. They’re more physical. They’ve been in a college weightlifting program. They’re becoming grown men. They have more experience either blocking or taking on blocks.”

From what we’re hearing, the guys currently in the trenches who Sarkisian would like to keep on the offensive line include: juniors Junior Angilau and Christian Jones; sophomore Isaiah Hookfin; redshirt freshmen Jake Majors, Andrej Karic, Logan Parr and Jaylen Garth; as well as true freshman Hayden Conner.

On the defensive line, the coaches want everyone currently in the two-deep to come back and want to add to that group - as evidenced by UT’s current list of commitments for 2022.

Heard this week junior tight end Jared Wiley (seven catches for 43 yards and two touchdowns in 2021) is thinking about moving on from UT.

Texas loses super senior tight end Cade Brewer (14 catches for 115 yards and two TDs in 2021) to graduation.

Sarkisian has said he believes freshmen tight ends Gunnar Helm, Ja'Tavion Sanders and Juan Davis are going to be big-time players for Texas.

10702718.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: © Jeffrey Becker, USA TODAY Sports)

One of the biggest questions going into the final two games of the regular season is what does Sarkisian plan to do at quarterback heading into 2022?

Sarkisian got the full backing of athletic director Chris Del Conte Tuesday in Del Conte’s weekly 40 Acres Insider newsletter.

Ten games into the season, however, Sarkisian has yet to give his backing to the futures of Casey Thompson or Hudson Card at Texas beyond the next game.

Thompson, who has started eight games this season and will be UT’s starter Saturday at West Virginia, was asked this week what he has to do to get Sarkisian’s full backing as UT’s quarterback?

“I think I just need to continue to prove myself and make the most of my opportunities,” Thompson said. “As a competitor and me being a part of this team and just playing this game, I want to win. I want to compete, but I also want to play from start to finish.

“So if I’m going to strap up and lace my cleats, I want to play every snap - every down. But, at the end of the day, Coach Sark has to do what he feels is best for the team.”

Through 10 games, Thompson has led Texas to points on 49 of 90 drives (54.4 percent), including 40 touchdowns and nine field goals while completing 64.3 percent of his passes with a Big 12-leading 23 touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

In Sam Ehlinger’s final three seasons at Texas as the starting quarterback, Ehlinger averaged 27 TD passes, seven interceptions and a 63.4 percent completion rate.

Card has led Texas to points on nine of his 34 drives (26.5 percent), including eight touchdowns and one field goal.

Despite Card leading Texas to points on just one of 11 drives in a 30-7 loss at Iowa State, including five straight three-and-outs totaling minus-25 yards spanning the second and third quarters (when UT’s defense finally gave out), Sarkisian decided to rotate Thompson and Card against Kansas.

Both Thompson and Card suffered strip sacks by Kansas defensive end Kyron Johnson.

Johnson beat junior left tackle Christian Jones for the strip-sack of Thompson on UT’s first drive and beat redshirt freshman left tackle Andrej Karic for the strip-sack of Card with 1:35 left in the second quarter.

Both fumbles led to touchdowns by the Jayhawks.

Following the strip-sack of Card, Sarkisian put Card back in the game for a third straight series after giving Thompson the first two series in the game.

With 1:09 remaining, Texas had the ball at its own 19, and on first down, Card stared down his intended target on an out route, and Kansas freshman cornerback Jacobee Bryant easily jumped the route and returned the interception 31 yards for a pick-six that put KU up 35-14 with one minute left in the half.

Thompson was the only quarterback who played in the second half, leading the Longhorns to touchdowns on five of their final eight possessions, including a three-play drive with :44 left (and no timeouts), capped by a 25-yard TD pass to tight end Cade Brewer with :22 left in regulation, tying the game 49-49 and forcing overtime.

Thompson suffered an interception with 1:10 left in regulation when Worthy, who had a huge game with 14 receptions for 152 yards and three touchdowns, inexplicably cut behind the defender on a post route, allowing Kansas safety O.J. Burroughs to make an easy pickoff. Worthy was supposed to cross the face of the safety on the route.

10718758.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: © Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)

In the first possession of overtime, Thompson hit Marcus Washington for an 8-yard TD pass, giving Thompson a total of seven touchdowns, including a school single-game record-tying, six TD passes, matching Colt McCoy’s six TD passes against Baylor in 2006.

Thompson also had a 1-yard rushing touchdown early in the third quarter, capping an 11-play, 65-yard scoring drive that helped erase Kansas’ 35-14 halftime lead.

Thompson became the first quarterback in the Big 12 since Kyler Murray to throw for six touchdowns with a rushing TD in a game and the first QB in the Big 12 since Patrick Mahomes in 2016 to have multiple five-touchdown passing games with a rushing touchdown (Texas Tech, KU).

With his COVID-19 redshirt, Thompson has two more years of eligibility. So is he worth bringing back with the Longhorns next season? Or is he part of Sarkisian’s plan to turn over the roster because Sarkisian is already looking for a transfer portal quarterback?

The case for Thompson to be brought back as the starter would be:

He’s just eight starts into his college career and already has shown he can handle the big stage against Oklahoma (20 of 34 passing, 388 yards, 5 TDs, no turnovers). Most of the key players on the defenses that gave Thompson the most trouble - Oklahoma State, Baylor and Iowa State - are seniors this season.

Despite a thin and inconsistent receiving corps, a struggling offensive line and a thumb injury on his throwing hand the past five games, Thompson is the first quarterback in Texas history to throw for five TDs in three games (Texas Tech, OU and Kansas). Colt McCoy had two (six vs Baylor in 2006; and five vs Baylor in 2008).

In UT’s loss at Baylor, Texas receivers dropped four passes in critical situations (one in the end zone, another was intercepted).

Does the Kansas game turn out differently if Sarkisian doesn’t rotate quarterbacks?

If Sarkisian doesn’t start talking about Thompson as his starting quarterback going into next season soon, is Sarkisian telling us he’ll be going into the portal to start over completely at the position next season?

“Casey competed his tail off and played extremely well,” Sarkisian said Monday of Thompson’s seven-TD performance against Kansas. “Obviously, going into this week’s game, Casey is going to be our starting quarterback.

“Ultimately, you know we can identify Casey, but I think he’s a microcosm of the entire roster. It’s about consistency, and it’s about playing with consistency at whatever our role is on our football team for any player.”

Thompson couldn’t get an opportunity on the field the past three seasons behind Ehlinger until Ehlinger injured his shoulder at halftime of the Alamo Bowl last season against Colorado. Even though Thompson led UT to points on all five of his drives in the second half of that game, fans seemed more excited about the idea of Card at quarterback heading into this season.

Card started the season but led UT to points on just one of 10 drives in a 40-21 loss at Arkansas.

Thompson has started every game since.

Thompson’s two worst games of the season came against Oklahoma State (15-of-27 passing for 179 yards and a TD with two interceptions, including a pick-six) and at Iowa State, when his thumb injury flared up and he was pulled after four series (2-of-6 passing for 2 yards).

But Thompson played well enough to win against:

— Oklahoma … 20-of-34 passing for 388 yards and five TDs as the offense put up 48 points.

— Baylor … 23-of-38 passing for 280 yards and two TDs with five carries for 45 yards, including a 25-yard run as well as one interception that went through Joshua Moore’s hands.

— Kansas … 30-of-43 passing for 358 yards and six TDs as well as six carries for 28 yards and a TD as the offense put up 56 points.

Those who’ve said Thompson didn’t play well at TCU - he led the offense to points on seven of UT’s first 10 drives, including a 12-play, 75-yard drive to a 32-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Whittington with 13:46 left, putting Texas up by 12. On that drive, Thompson converted two third downs with his feet.

Some folks have said I’ve been a Thompson homer. I think I’ve just tried to point out what Thompson has been able to do when he gets an opportunity on the field - whether it was Mike Yurcich’s offense or Sarkisian’s.

It’s hard to argue Thompson has been doubted since he arrived on campus - buried behind Ehlinger, Cam Rising and even Card - by fans and coaches. And when he’s gotten opportunities, Thompson has shown he prepares and battles.

Thompson said Monday, “I’m just trying to take one week at a time. I mean, every week is different. We don’t always have the same guys playing on Saturdays. Guys get injured. Guys get sick. So, it’s always flowing, always changing. We just have to be able to adapt as a team and as individuals. That’s what I’m trying to do as well as keeping the mindset of, ‘I just want to get better as a football player, as a quarterback and as a leader.’”

Thompson’s latest audition for Sarkisian’s backing will come Saturday in Morgantown.

Texas fans(Photo: © Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)

An update to the update on plans for UT’s new indoor football practice facility:

Last week I mentioned Texas buying Dobie 21 and plans to move the McCombs School of Business over to the Dobie complex, which could lead to the school of social work moving from just south of DKR to where McCombs is currently located on Speedway.

That would free up the property where the school of social work is located currently for a new indoor football practice facility (between the student recreation center just south of DKR and the Jamail Swim Center).

34COMMENTS

A few more details:

The new McCombs School of Business would actually be built where the Dobie garage is currently located (yeah, the same garage you’ve parked in all these years to go to movies or eat at Dobie). It will be about a four-year project.

So for Texas athletics to have any shot of building a new indoor football practice facility just south of DKR before 2025, UT would have to find an interim home for the school of social work (until the new McCombs School of Business is constructed).

I’m told from a source close to the situation, “It’s not out of the question that could happen. But there’s no guarantee just yet. Nothing moves quickly at UT when it comes to things like this.”

Stay tuned.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Doesn't like football enough.

Add him to the list then.

But boy oh boy did those top 3 classes look good on signing day. Especially that 2019 one where 6 of our top 7 signees have transferred or medically retired.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:31 PM, Codaxx said:

put this in recruiting chat, but seems more appropriate here

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-football-Kirk-Herbstreit-opens-up-on-Steve-Sarkisian-175436914/

Charlie Strong told me, when he was the head coach at Texas, he wasn't fired yet,” Herbstreit said. “He just got there, was getting a lot of heat. He said, 'this is a tough job because on one hand, they want me to recruit a lot of these five-stars in this state, but I don't think they're great players. But there's such immense pressure to recruit this player out of this area or this player because they're five stars. And if you don't recruit those players, they're going to crush you because you didn't land that recruit. And if you do bring them in, you're deep down I don't know if this guy is a dog.' ... Sark knew this before he went. In fact, he and I had a conversation when his name was in there. I called him and I said, 'are you going to take this?' He said, 'yeah I think I'm gonna.' And I said, 'you know the deal there right.' He goes 'oh yeah, before I even commit, I'm going to talk to them about how I’m going to have to do this. It’s going to be really hard to do this the right way. And as long as you’re going to support me through this, we’re going to do this. It’s not going to be pretty.

“In order to change the culture there that has been struggling since 2010, even the last couple of years with Mack (Brown). Something got into this program that’s like a virus, and it’s permeated itself for over a decade now. So to get it done right, you can’t put a Band-Aid on this problem and a Band-Aid over there and expect it to be ‘look we’re 8-4, everything’s fine over here.’ Nope. It’s almost like a decayed tooth. You gotta really go to work on that thing.”

Herbiestreet making more excuses for his booze ( former ) and tail chasing little buddy .... again. Nothing to do with a history of getting fired from every job.