Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

It feels like Abbott is starting to ignore him and he's just getting more shrill.  I think his wave may have crested.

I would like to think that, but then this stuff gets national attention (ignore Smeagol's rambling and read the original tweet).

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

"Whatever it takes."

Those are some strong words Mr. Huffines.

You going to spend a lot of money? You said you're cutting property taxes, right?

What's that money going to be spent upon? People to secure the border? A wall? Land mines?

Are you going to shoot to kill desperate men, women, and children? Use drones?

What's it going to be Mr. Huffines? Are you running for Governor or King of Texas?

If you don't think "shoot to kill" at brown people in and near the river isn't their end-game, you haven't been listening.  I have personally listened to a LEO in near masturbatory joy talking about how much fun it would be to take a new rifle down to the river and start popping illegals.  There is a sizeable percentage of our population -- and an even higher percentage of armed LEO types -- who desperately want to do this.

They will eventually do so.  It's the inevitable end-point of the path we're on.

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you don't think "shoot to kill" at brown people in and near the river isn't their end-game, you haven't been listening.  I have personally listened to a LEO in near masturbatory joy talking about how much fun it would be to take a new rifle down to the river and start popping illegals.  There is a sizeable percentage of our population -- and an even higher percentage of armed LEO types -- who desperately want to do this.

They will eventually do so.  It's the inevitable end-point of the path we're on.

The FAFO will be fantastic when the brown people decide to shoot back.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What makes you think anything about my question was not serious? Am I not downing drinks on the ledge on the reg?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

What makes you think anything about my question was not serious? Am I not downing drinks on the ledge on the reg?

Do you wanna?  I was thinking Surly happy hour before the Oklahoma State game at the (soon to be ole') Dry Creek Cafe.

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Man, that looks like a political speach in a church to me...time to look at their tax exempt status. 

There are five rules regarding politicians and churches. One of them is that if the church invites one candidate as long as the church and candidate do not explicitly mention the election (as in holding an election 'event') then I think it's allowed. So, if Huffines with the topic of "Liberty" doesn't talk about "and when I'm governor, blah blah blah" then I don't think you could make your case. If Huffines says, "and when you vote for me," then he has just given a stump speech and you could make your charge...

If he sticks to discussing his opinion on the topic of Liberty, then he is free and clear.

• Hook 'Em 1

I gotta give 'em credit, half the Republican politicians during session who are Catholic come to my wife's church on Sundays (pre-Covid anyway).  And they never say shit other than "peace be with you."  I'm told the Evangelical and Baptist ones that go to congregations with friends of mine of that faith...grab the mic during announcements every chance they get and then stick around to work the room after service has ended.  

All the books I read, all the history courses I took, all my preaching "those who don't understand history are condemned to repeat it"...it never occurred to my fucking dumb ass to make money off the fact that so many 'Americans' will never learn what stupid pawns they are.  That was my prize mistake, a lack of underestimation.  It just really never occurred to me that you could tap into the thing people are most ashamed of, but suggesting to them that it should be their most proud accolade.....I am stupid and possibly functionally retarded and I need a leader!  Don't hide it, Don shouted, LET IT SHINE! 

Edited by Lobo

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fitlump draws a bigger crowd.

fucking campaign speeches. in fucking churches. again.

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

There are five rules regarding politicians and churches. One of them is that if the church invites one candidate as long as the church and candidate do not explicitly mention the election (as in holding an election 'event') then I think it's allowed. So, if Huffines with the topic of "Liberty" doesn't talk about "and when I'm governor, blah blah blah" then I don't think you could make your case. If Huffines says, "and when you vote for me," then he has just given a stump speech and you could make your charge...

If he sticks to discussing his opinion on the topic of Liberty, then he is free and clear.

Oh. That makes it so much better.

I attribute this shit directly to the people driving Smeagol's campaign, because this sounds like it's coming out of his twitter feeds.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/texas-lawmakers-call-for-special-session-action-on-anti-vaccine-mandate-bills/

A handful of Republican state lawmakers are calling for action on anti-vaccine mandate legislation during the current third special legislative session.

The group Guardians of Medical choice is scheduled to hold a news conference at 1 p.m. at the state Capitol. Expected speakers include Republican representatives Steve Toth, Briscoe Cain, Mayes Middleton, and Senator Bob Hall.

All have filed legislation that would either limit government or employer actions when it comes to vaccination mandates or allow for exemptions for religious reasons or “reasons of conscience.”

It does seem to be the evolution of Tea Party to Freedom Caucus to this. The Guardians of Medical Choice group was started by the woman who was fired for not getting the vaccine and sued Houston Methodist for it. She has a Facebook page, a YouTube channel, and a website. There is a place to sign up for a newsletter, to donate, and to see all of her television and radio interviews. The website also provides templates for exemptions.

There is also a GoFundMe which has raised over $180,000 of its $500,000 goal. Noticed a nice $50,000 dollar anonymous donation. She happened to mention they're going to have a country music concert in November of this year. Texans for Vaccine Choice has been inviting her to speak as well.

I have to speculate a little that there is some dark money flowing around this country that is not just going to the big players, but is attempting to grow and gather these groups together. The synergy is real, man.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

fucking campaign speeches. in fucking churches. again.

Oh. That makes it so much better.

Well, no it doesn't, but that's been the normalization of the 'whaddya gonna do about it?' the right wing has perfected--we haven't done jack shit, jill shit, or jim-bob shit about any of these election violations when they happen or the appearance of them (I'll make the assumption this event did not break the rules) which used to be assiduously avoided.

Politics has been a violent messy way for a long time, but when this is all done and if Huffines and the Rs take it all, the Spanish Inquisition is going to look like the Kindergarten Choir recital in comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It does seem to be the evolution of Tea Party to Freedom Caucus to this. The Guardians of Medical Choice group was started by the woman who was fired for not getting the vaccine and sued Houston Methodist for it. She has a Facebook page, a YouTube channel, and a website. There is a place to sign up for a newsletter, to donate, and to see all of her television and radio interviews. The website also provides templates for exemptions.

There is also a GoFundMe which has raised over $180,000 of its $500,000 goal. Noticed a nice $50,000 dollar anonymous donation. She happened to mention they're going to have a country music concert in November of this year. Texans for Vaccine Choice has been inviting her to speak as well.

I have to speculate a little that there is some dark money flowing around this country that is not just going to the big players, but is attempting to grow and gather these groups together. The synergy is real, man.

Smeagol is the perfect vessel for this, if it was happening.  He's saying the right things, he's got Trump associates backing him, he's got some folks with a national presence (Rand Paul, Tucker, and a few others) who are giving him legitimacy at that level, he's running as an outsider to the incumbent, and complaining about the things the incumbent did last year and this year, he's hitting all of the right-wing talking points (about the illegals, about drugs, about covid, etc.).

I am waiting to see the Briscoe Cain types in the legislature endorse Huffines.  That's when things will get interesting.

But a statewide office such as the Governor's race, would be a great way to get together various little groups around the state together.

On 10/6/2021 at 5:01 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Man, that looks like a political speach in a church to me...time to look at their tax exempt status. 

Close.  Schreiner University.  Now we know where they train all of those drivers who wear the red hats and drive the little cars?

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Now I have to worry about my son getting chemically castrated at school I guess.

You know who this guy is, right?

ICYDK....

Wade Miller is a "combat veteran who served in the USMC as an infantryman.....after deploying into combat theatres three times in Iraq and the Horn of Africa, Wade became involved in the Tea Party movement at home." (Texas)

He has been involved with Heritage Action for America (Senior Regional Coordinator)

He was political director for Senator Ted Cruz (2018 campaign cycle) and Chief of Staff for Congressman Chip Roy.

His current position is as fellow and executive director with the *Center for Renewing America and he now lives in Virginia with his family.

*Ken Cuccinelli is also a fellow. You remember Mr. Cuccinelli, right? Of the 'give us your wealthy, your pay stubs, your bank account balances if you're longing to be free.'

The Center for Renewing America has a mission statement:

"To renew a consensus of America as a nation under God with unique interests worthy of defending that flow from its people, institutions, and history, where individuals' enjoyment of freedom is predicated on just laws and healthy communities."

So, Huffines is retweeting a Texan residing in Virginia (who tweets a lot about Texas schools) who used to work for Senator Cruz and Congressman Roy and is the type of Tea Party person we were discussing earlier. Greg may be in trouble, but Huffines has (I think you mentioned this earlier) only 21,000 followers. Wonder how many of those are real and how many are astroturf accounts. You had brought that up earlier, but it is definitely something where there is a lot more of that going on at a micro level now. One thing I can't see and I don't know if Twitter changed it or it's because I don't have an account, but I don't know how many total tweets this Miller has for his account over its lifespan. It is only dated to November 2020. I got curious and started looking into it because it was like, gee whiz all this guy does is tweet. Well, because that's part of his job I see now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So, Huffines is retweeting a Texan residing in Virginia (who tweets a lot about Texas schools) who used to work for Senator Cruz and Congressman Roy and is the type of Tea Party person we were discussing earlier. Greg may be in trouble, but Huffines has (I think you mentioned this earlier) only 21,000 followers. Wonder how many of those are real and how many are astroturf accounts. You had brought that up earlier, but it is definitely something where there is a lot more of that going on at a micro level now. One thing I can't see and I don't know if Twitter changed it or it's because I don't have an account, but I don't know how many total tweets this Miller has for his account over its lifespan. It is only dated to November 2020. I got curious and started looking into it because it was like, gee whiz all this guy does is tweet. Well, because that's part of his job I see now.

Huffines has 21,000 on twitter, but over 60,000 on FB. The FB one should be more worrying - plenty of right-wing types swore off of twitter after twitter dumped Trump, and FB is loved by the olds, and he clearly has a lot more people following him on FB than actually "Like" him on FB.  I just look at twitter because it's easier to see and post here.  I am surprised he hasn't gotten much of a bump in the past few days though.  I'd figure some of these people who are making statements on his behalf would bring in a few hundred or few thousand followers on the twitter, but it's all about FB.

Miller has probably had quite a few twitter accounts over the years, I'm guessing.

And yes, this is exactly the kind of stuff we are talking about - these small groups and individuals that seem to be punching well above their weight class (as far as their ability to apply pressure to Abbott, etc.).

And I have no doubt they are talking to each other.  It's too easy to fire off a DM, a text message, a FB message, WhatsApp, etc.

Facebook has made it a lot harder to access w/o an account, so that area is all yours man. I don't think it's just the social media that's applying pressure, though. If these 'policy' institutes and such are pushing this, then I wonder how many of them there are vs. who Abbott has in his corner. The official GOP account for Texas is focused primarily on Biden bashing.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:18 AM, Lobo said:

All the books I read, all the history courses I took, all my preaching "those who don't understand history are condemned to repeat it"...it never occurred to my fucking dumb ass to make money off the fact that so many 'Americans' will never learn what stupid pawns they are.  That was my prize mistake, a lack of underestimation.  It just really never occurred to me that you could tap into the thing people are most ashamed of, but suggesting to them that it should be their most proud accolade.....I am stupid and possibly functionally retarded and I need a leader!  Don't hide it, Don shouted, LET IT SHINE! 

Fortunately, you have a conscience.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

And here we go

He's working the immigrant angle hard, but his "...I'm not asking permission from the federal government" seems fitting--it's the contempt he has for people who aren't him.

Parents out there--that sound familiar?

Adults: we must ask first before we do X, look out for one another, etc

Child: I'm going to do what I want, you can't make me, you're not the boss of me, etc

Fitting that the Bannon segment uses the phrase 'playing games.'

Party of law and order Huffines is making an appeal to be  a fascist strongman to step in and take care of the scary 'monsters'. He's talking directly to the 'children' that he thinks they are in a language they will understand.

Little condescending if you ask me.

It will probably work.

22 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I have to speculate a little that there is some dark money flowing around this country that is not just going to the big players, but is attempting to grow and gather these groups together.

no need to speculate.  this is exactly how the tea party bullshit got embiggened.