Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I love how anything that is not batshit crazy is just dismissed out of hand as "the establishment."

"The establishment" insists that you should carry water with you when hiking through the desert -- don't let the establishment tell you what to do!

"The establishment" says that people should inhale air containing oxygen to keep themselves alive -- don't let the establishment tell you what to do!

"The establishment" says that gravity will cause you to fall to your death if you jump off a 20 story building -- don't let the establishment tell you what to do!

We don't survive this insanity.  We just don't.  No country could.

• Like 2

I’m going to start selling the shit out of “Don’t Texas my Denver” bumper stickers.

I’m shocked those aren’t available already. LOL. Coloradoans hate Texans! I mean we’ve had “Don’t California my Texas” for awhile now. If it’s any consolation, those of us coming up there to live because we hate Texas so hard are the “good” ones. (At least the “better” ones.)

I'll be real, I'm kinda thankful for these people saying the quiet parts out loud with that bell-turned-megaphone thing from Kung Fu Hustle. You don't have to wonder anymore. They out themselves. We know who they are (mostly). They've been weirdly emboldened by social media to lose any modicum of self-awareness. Again, for me at least, it sure beats guessing where they really stand.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 2

I was fairly young so I don't remember the details but I think the Clayton Williams campaign was pretty tame compared to Huffines. Now that I think about it, Howard Dean's scream wouldn't even be a blip on the radar these days.

In normal times you look to the past and say "I can't believe they could get away with that." These are not normal times.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Huffines retweeted this.  Getting into Qanon stuff, which is awesome.

I disagree. I see @Longhorn_Fan68's point about outing themselves, but not at the expense of ignoring reality. Congressman Gohmert has a duty as a public official to just stop with that crap. It's more than just a politics race for 2022, this is about actively harming people and spreading health misinformation. Huffines is not in office (yet?!) so while I think he's bsc, he is not under the same oath as Gohmert.

This is about Huffines and the governor's race, however, so I'd better shut up.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I were Abbott, I'd tweet about how much of a left-wing pussy Huffines is for only wanting to abolish the property tax, yet still subjecting the freedom-loving Texans to sales tax, corporate franchise tax, hotel tax, gas tax, and cigarette tax.  Fuck you, Don.  All you and your pal Joe Biden want to do is take away my freedom and my money. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Abbott doesn't plan ahead, he only reacts.

Well then I just need to apply to be his communications director.  I could have fun with that.  "Hey Don, you only want to kill 1,000 illegals per week?  I shoot 1,000 a day just in my sleep.  #securetheborder, #huffineswantsillegalstofuckyourwife"

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Well then I just need to apply to be his communications director.  I could have fun with that.  "Hey Don, you only want to kill 1,000 illegals per week?  I shoot 1,000 a day just in my sleep.  #securetheborder, #huffineswantsillegalstofuckyourwife"

If I were Abbott's communications director, I'd put out a message:  "Let's randomly show up at every Huffines' property, dealership, development, etc., and check the immigration status of every single employee!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I disagree. I see @Longhorn_Fan68's point about outing themselves, but not at the expense of ignoring reality. Congressman Gohmert has a duty as a public official to just stop with that crap. It's more than just a politics race for 2022, this is about actively harming people and spreading health misinformation. Huffines is not in office (yet?!) so while I think he's bsc, he is not under the same oath as Gohmert.

Gohmert is like very other Republican in office - he only cares about the next election.

Like I said, a lot of Republicans are fighting what amounts to a rear-guard action - they are desperately trying to stay in office and hold on to power.  Their confidence is really low.

Gohmert is like very other Republican in office - he only cares about the next election.
Like I said, a lot of Republicans are fighting what amounts to a rear-guard action - they are desperately trying to stay in office and hold on to power.  Their confidence is really low.

I’m in Troy Nehls district. He was a decent sheriff. As soon as he was elected, he fell into line with the Trump narrative real fast. He was the only Republican in Fort Bend county elected (I believe). I hope he’s gone after next election.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I’m in Troy Nehls district. He was a decent sheriff. As soon as he was elected, he fell into line with the Trump narrative real fast. He was the only Republican in Fort Bend county elected (I believe). I hope he’s gone after next election.

And unfortunately it's hard to tell how many of these Republicans are actually Trumpkins, and how many are just sucking up to The Orange One in order to win their next primary.  Either one of those two things are equally as despicable.

And I"d ask if it even matters - the end result is the same, they are cultivating the Trumpkins and carrying out their wishes in order to stay in office, whether they actually believe in what they say or not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I am so fucking confused.  Seated back to back with James and Patty Huffines last night.  Buncha elected/appointed officials.  Abbott comes on to deliver a pre-recorded digital message to the two guests of honor.  Everybody claps, and then James and Patty of all people stand up first to clap so I put my phone down and we all follow suit.  It was weird to stand-up applaud a video message and really fucking weird to have them lead the way considering who his fucking brother is.  

The whole fucking night tip-toed so uncomfortably around Texas politics despite there being two former Lieutenant Governors and three former Speakers there.  I've seen less tension at an Eric Trump bible study night.  

And unfortunately it's hard to tell how many of these Republicans are actually Trumpkins, and how many are just sucking up to The Orange One in order to win their next primary.  Either one of those two things are equally as despicable.
And I"d ask if it even matters - the end result is the same, they are cultivating the Trumpkins and carrying out their wishes in order to stay in office, whether they actually believe in what they say or not.

I don’t think the Jews cared if a Nazi was a true believer Nazi or just a Nazi who went with the flow to hold power. Both of em made Jews dead. Fuck all these fuckers. Evil or coward, just different flavors of human shitbags.

16 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

When Huffines becomes the next governor, I'll be moving to Colorado.  This state is full retard. 

I’m not so sure that all of this hootenanny conservatism won’t backfire on the Republicans next year. At some point, voters outside of the embedded base will tire of being a national embarrassment.

I’m not so sure that all of this hootenanny conservatism won’t backfire on the Republicans next year. At some point, voters outside of the embedded base will tire of being a national embarrassment.

I don’t think so… and besides, who the f are the Dems gonna run anyhow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

There are a shitload of suburban DFW housewives livid over this abortion law and many have daughters that will be 18 prior to 2022 election. Likely same around Houston.  I have a feeling the cracking and packing going on with redistricting may not work like they think it will

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, his kid has this pinned to the top of his feed.  I don't think he understands what grassroots actually means, because Ted Cruz's campaign was about as far from being grassroots as you can get.

Huffines lost to a Democrat by almost 10 points in 2018 as Abbott was beating Lupe like a minority in police custody.

A more apt metaphor would be using Ted Cruz beating the establishment Dewhurst with a huge war chest. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

He went there to fuck with Matthew Dowd.  He's under Dan Patrick's orders at this point.  

Yes, a LTC black man is taking his political directives from a Kohl's Plus Size model because it's 2021 and we have fucking idea what's next. 

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's....not impressive at all at 15 feet.  For fuck's sake, it's a Glock, and a .380.  I'm guessing he's going to completely be off the silhouette's head at 30 feet.

There's a few fliers in the body, too. I see one in the 8 ring, and a few more on the edges of the 9 down low.