Post-Game : We Won. They Lost. ULL is Ass

Hiphopopotamos

On 9/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is a big boy coaching staff.  Had the team ready for the surprise on-side.  Deferred correctly.  Defense never panicked.  Offense worked around OL issues.

Had a feel like Alabama.  We had better talent and were in control the whole game even though it stayed close until the 4th.  And ULL is a decent team, or at least was last year.

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Agree 100 percent on watching Card live. He definitely has a long way to go in terms of pocket presence and command of the offense. Certainly showed flashes though, and I don’t remember any wtf type bad throws, though that TD to Brewer was actually pretty risky.

Live I thought it was risky too. I think I remember seeing the replay and he purposely threw it low. Looked like a good, smart throw but I had several beers in me.  I’m wanting to watch the replay, but waiting until this weekend is over. Damn, this weekend was fun 

5 hours ago, Hmmm said:

Card definitely has a ridiculously fast release.  It's like watching a baseball player.  This play is another example:

The release is so fast and the ball travels at such velocity, that I had trouble picking up where it was going. I assume this amount speed reduces defenders' reaction times as well. Maybe that fraction of a second makes it a little easier to break a tackle or juke a defender. 

I love what I saw of Card. I love that Casey got work and looks like a viable starter should we need him.

Card is going to be murdering teams before the season is over. He's got Colt's accuracy with more velocity.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This 4th down play right here nearly gave me a panic attack when Card turned down the open field in front of him and decided to 90 degree towards the sideline. 

image.thumb.png.6ec3b808e7d50d0be85704d37bd81248.png

This is a great screen cap. Card is a very, very good athlete and he eeked out that first down. 

Vince would have housed that.

I can't remember feeling better after a season opener since I really can't remember when. If it wasn't a Terrapin Tom Special, or Mack would roll out some really lackluster openers in his good-but-not-great years -- we'd beat some team like Rice or a shitty UNT squad by a score similar to this one, or barely edge Arkansas State .

No stupid penalties. While the run game wasn't punishing, it got where it needed to be. A disruptive play on special teams with that blocked XP. Solid on third down conversions. Not a clownshow. I'll take it.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
15 hours ago, BB65 said:
I really liked Cards quick release. No wind up, just lightening quick hands. 

The third down conversion pass to bijan I never even saw him throw it. I had to rewind to see the pass happen. Love his release.

Same here. I actually thought was batted down at the line because it seems like it never traveled through the air. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Octavian said:

Lol someone needs to remind this moron that they rushed against the 123rd of 127 rushing defenses from last year that also lost starters and could very well be the worst rushing defense in CFB.

No one with a brain would take pride in beating up on a cream puff but it’s aggy so what can you do.

Aggy takes pride in “winning” their spring game. They’re fucktards.

And Billy Liucci is the tallest midget. He’s not afraid to let you know that. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I can't remember feeling better after a season opener since I really can't remember when. If it wasn't a Terrapin Tom Special, or Mack would roll out some really lackluster openers in his good-but-not-great years -- we'd beat some team like Rice or a shitty UNT squad by a score similar to this one, or barely edge Arkansas State .

No stupid penalties. While the run game wasn't punishing, it got where it needed to be. A disruptive play on special teams with that blocked XP. Solid on third down conversions. Not a clownshow. I'll take it.

The win over Notre Dame in 2016 felt pretty great at the time. It obviously turned quickly into fool’s gold, but in the moment it was a fun night. This one is better because we don’t have two prior years of dumbassery to temper expectations. 

Before that you’d probably have to go all the way back to beating Penn State in 1990. 

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Because of the sad state our program has been in for the last decade plus this could honestly go down as our best non-conference performance since Ohio State 2005. If you look at our highest profile non-conference wins since Ohio State, the list is sad: '07 vs # 19 TCU, 2011 at UCLA, 2012 at Ole Miss, 2016 vs #10 Notre Dame, 2018 vs #21 USC.  That's it. It's so pathetic.

Three of those teams ended up with losing records. Ole Miss ended up 7-6 (although the record books say 0-6 for Hugh Freeze being Hugh Freeze) and TCU was 8-5 in 2007. I know we're establishing a very low bar here, but it's not a crazy idea.

• Rage+1 1

I rewatched the game and it's nice to see players making plays for a change. For years, it seemed like no one could break a tackle. If a run was blocked for 3 yards, we got 3 yards or less. We had guys making plays all day yesterday. Bijan probably picked up half his yards after contact. RoJo embarrassed guys on his two receptions. Whittington went into beast mode a couple of times.

The entire defense knew what they were supposed to do and tackled well. It's amazing how that works. I don't remember a single play where guys were obviously confused. Even on the long touchdown run, Gbenda just lost a foot race. The d-line wasn't great or terrible, they were fine. The linebackers, however, are legitimately good (at least the starters). They consistently diagnosed the play and were where they needed to be. Overshown is going to have a monster year.

This is a good game for the coaches. The team played really well and still has significant room for improvement across the board. Card looked great, but needs to throw the ball away rather than take sacks. Bijan is a stud... who needs to block better. We did a great job of converting third downs, but need to clean up the penalties and blocking that led to third and long. Run blocking was the only thing that was consistently bad.

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Because of the sad state our program has been in for the last decade plus this could honestly go down as our best non-conference performance since Ohio State 2005. If you look at our highest profile non-conference wins since Ohio State, the list is sad: '07 vs # 19 TCU, 2011 at UCLA, 2012 at Ole Miss, 2016 vs #10 Notre Dame, 2018 vs #21 USC.  That's it. It's so pathetic.

Three of those teams ended up with losing records. Ole Miss ended up 7-6 (although the record books say 0-6 for Hugh Freeze being Hugh Freeze) and TCU was 8-5 in 2007. I know we're establishing a very low bar here, but it's not a crazy idea.

It kind of feels like driving home after a first date with the first non-batshit woman you've come across in years....Happy, but very cautiously optimistic for the future. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It kind of feels like driving home after a first date with the first non-batshit woman you've come across in years....Happy, but very cautiously optimistic for the future. 

no way, you put on a ring on it immediately. I think it’s time to give Sark $100MM guaranteed for 10 years with no buyout. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I agree.    And with all the hype aggy is getting, their O line  and QB looked like horse shit against a team that should be in FCS.  As rough as ours looked, I thought we looked like world beaters compared to OU sux and aggy O-lines and against a better quality opponent.  

my take exactly, plus aggy threw 4 picks but hey corndog sucks so the redstick win is already deposited thanks to kelly, so all they have to do is beat saban at home and they're in

On 9/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, El Squared said:

How refreshing to see a sincere, knowledgeable, and humble guy as our coach.

But just think how much better we would be if the shittier players ate runny eggs, or if Sark kissed the players because he loves them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, DanTheHorn said:

Finished catching up on the thread and it is clear the honeymoon period is in full effect. Most posters stating "OL is bad but Flood will fix it" instead of the usual Surly experience of "What the fuck has Flood been teaching this spring and summer?" Is a good example.

Sark made good play calls, Banks is as good as advertised. The attention to detail especially on instruction given resulting in a blocked PAT is just jizz worthy. Bijan and Whit are amazing. Bend but don't break and lack of pressure on the QB will at times be frustrating but they did meet the goal of under 20.

I mean, I think most of us know that OL is truly a 2-3 year fix that we have been working on for the past 15 years. Maybe this 2-3 years will be the real 2-3 year fix. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

The win over Notre Dame in 2016 felt pretty great at the time. It obviously turned quickly into fool’s gold, but in the moment it was a fun night. This one is better because we don’t have two prior years of dumbassery to temper expectations. 

That ND game was incredible given the hype, competitiveness, and outcome. We quickly learned, though, that it was a midget battle labeled as the heavy weight fight of the night. I might go back and watch it this week for both the entertainment and to gawk at what we thought was a good team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This 4th down play right here nearly gave me a panic attack when Card turned down the open field in front of him and decided to 90 degree towards the sideline. 

image.thumb.png.6ec3b808e7d50d0be85704d37bd81248.png

Yeah lol that was a ridiculous decision. He could've ended up with 20 yards by going up field and sliding. Coaches better show this exact screenshot to him. Good teaching moment.

• Like 1

I mean, I think most of us know that OL is truly a 2-3 year fix that we have been working on for the past 15 years. Maybe this 2-3 years will be the real 2-3 year fix. 

Having a great coach you have faith in helps, but we still have the same players. Developing new habits takes time. Recruiting takes time.
It seems like all of that is in place.

Crossposting from recruiting thread - From IT. Still seems pretty odd that he wouldn't play at either DT or Jack, but whatever..

DL Alfred Collins: There’s been some curiosity over why the talented sophomore hardly played even as the coaches went deep into the depth chart. All we can gather is it was ‘coaches decision’ and Collins isn’t in the dog house. We aren’t hearing of any acrimony between the two parties and we expect him to play much more on Saturday. It’s very likely he was told by the coaches he should have played more and they’ll rework their rotations going forward.

The situation isn’t entirely surprising given recent information. Even when he moved to Jack, we heard Jett Bush was still ahead of him and we even had Bush ahead of him on the depth chart. That isn’t to say it isn’t overall surprising the most genuinely talented defensive lineman on the roster isn’t playing more regardless of the position. It’ll work out. Nothing to worry about at this time. Alfred isn’t an emotional, knee-jerk sort of young man.

6 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Whittington did a similar move on a play where it appeared cutting straight up field would have been a td.

Thats the one that stuck out the most to me - the play where he broke (literally?) that LB's ankles but instead of going upfield he cut towards the sidelines where there were two defenders and one blocker.  All I can think is that he must have thought that LB was in pursuit and so he didn't want to cut back toward the middle of the field.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Crossposting from recruiting thread - From IT. Still seems pretty odd that he wouldn't play at either DT or Jack, but whatever..

DL Alfred Collins: There’s been some curiosity over why the talented sophomore hardly played even as the coaches went deep into the depth chart. All we can gather is it was ‘coaches decision’ and Collins isn’t in the dog house. We aren’t hearing of any acrimony between the two parties and we expect him to play much more on Saturday. It’s very likely he was told by the coaches he should have played more and they’ll rework their rotations going forward.

The situation isn’t entirely surprising given recent information. Even when he moved to Jack, we heard Jett Bush was still ahead of him and we even had Bush ahead of him on the depth chart. That isn’t to say it isn’t overall surprising the most genuinely talented defensive lineman on the roster isn’t playing more regardless of the position. It’ll work out. Nothing to worry about at this time. Alfred isn’t an emotional, knee-jerk sort of young man.

That much rosier than the Gerry 'update'.  Those two should talk.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thats the one that stuck out the most to me - the play where he broke (literally?) that LB's ankles but instead of going upfield he cut towards the sidelines where there were two defenders and one blocker.  All I can think is that he must have thought that LB was in pursuit and so he didn't want to cut back toward the middle of the field.

This - he's not used to breaking ankles in practice.  And, his view and path to EZ were blocked by the ref.

Edited by Hmmm